or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 4S event seen lacking 'panache,' allowing Android to gain
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPhone 4S event seen lacking 'panache,' allowing Android to gain - Page 4

post #121 of 280
I dunno ....

If you look at my reaction in the Steve's Return topic, you can see that I and a lot more people feel a bit ....
"let down" is the only way I can think of to describe the way I feel after this Apple Event.

Not just on the hardware side, but, as much as I like Timmy, he's not Steve.
And what I mean by that is, his presentation seems like it's forced "AppleVibe".
He's even got on the black mock turtleneck, for criminy's sake.

Oh, well.
Given this debut, the good takeaway from this is that his presentation performance can only go up.
Way up.
And I say that because I love.

Who knows -- maybe they're saving Steve for the Apple HDTV unveiling.
"Technology Alone Is Not Enough -- Married With The Liberal Arts & The Humanities,
It Yields Us The Results That Make Our Hearts Sing." - Steven P. Jobs
Reply
"Technology Alone Is Not Enough -- Married With The Liberal Arts & The Humanities,
It Yields Us The Results That Make Our Hearts Sing." - Steven P. Jobs
Reply
post #122 of 280
Anyways I'm a bit confused by all the complaints...the 5 wishy washy ish was merely hope but all logic pointed to an incremental update a la 3G/3GS.

The iPhone 4 is still a capable phone and the 4S will continue to be...like many have said it is mainly for the 3GS holders and newcomers...NOT for the people with a 4. the 6 will come out and I'd bet top dollar the design will be different.

As for Android gaining off of this it's because Android is surely becoming more stable, the ecosystem is growing, people are wanting and pining for Android phones now. It hasn't permeated the mind as much as iOS (what has?) but it's known now. And with so many great companies coming out with so many great phones and with the platform itself stabilizing and (hopefully) beautifying it can still go up. And because the Apple news is here and won't be back for at least another 8 months Android will continue to make strides in tech and will pioneer new technologies first.

Honestly, the whole keynote was ridiculously boring...which upset me...like someone said Cook is no Steve Jobs and an issue is it looked like he was trying to be. The other speakers were boring as well.

Siri on the other hand...that was just plain awesome, and while I have Vlingo, Siri is like the super evolved cousin from a rich family comparatively.

I doubt I'd use it if I had it, but I like to have things.

Semi coherent comment over.
post #123 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by deroo View Post

Hello boys and girls, been lurking around here for so long, but I had to register and vent today cos I've had enough of the iOS vs. Android argument :-)

If Apple licenced iOS to other manufacturers we would not be having this discussion. If Android were only available on the Nexus we wouldn't be having this argument. Bottom line is this... Apple has one range of phones, now with 3 models covering a range of costs and features. Android is run on scores of phones from different manufacturers, the whole iOS / Android market share thing is pointless. If iOS were run on more manufacturers it would have a far greater market share.

Apple are right in doing things the way they do. I'm not upset about there being no iPhone 5 announcement yesterday, I'm happy with my 4 and really just want iOS5. When the 5 does come out next year, I'm sure it'll be something better.

Welcome to AI. With you on your comments.
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #124 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

The Galaxy S2 .6oz lighter and actually THICKER than the iPhone.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/09/iph...rds-authority/

Are you really suggesting this matters?

My mistake. I had the chance to hold my friend's Samsung Galaxy II in my hand and it felt lighter and thinner... The facts seem to suggest differently.
But from the touch and feel, the Samsung feels much better. It's a personal opinion. I am an Apple fan and I had the original iPhone and want to see the original creator succeed but I think it's a mistake for Apple be complacent and offer the same form factor after the long wait time...
post #125 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryMG View Post

I dunno ....

If you look at my reaction in the Steve's Return topic, you can see that I and a lot more people feel a bit .... "let down" is the only way I can think of to describe the way I feel.

Not just on the hardware side, but, as much as I like Timmy, he's not Steve.
And what I mean be that is, he presentation seems like it's forced "AppleVibe" -- he even has on the black mock turtleneck, for crimeny's sake.

Oh, well.
Given this debut, the good takeaway is his performance can only go up.

He had on a black buttondown shirt -_-

but I agree he tried to be Jobs...he should've made this fully his own.

One of the better presenters is Vic Gundrata (sp?) for Google I/O he has a swag about him that isn't Jobsian. Cook needs his own swag

Steve Jobs cannot be mimicked.
post #126 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I suggest you compare this keynote to the last few. Then you will see only small variations in script.

They always do some back-patting, and have spent more time on this as Android has grown. The defensiveness is there, and has been there for a year or two now. They almost always tout some home-grown app or insignificant (to us) feature. In fact, Scot Forstall has always liked showing off features or apps with family pictures. Perhaps he is a photography buff?

Listen to the words used. Cook had the same speech writer that Jobs used. There is no question about it. The simplicity of the sentences, spiced with high wattage superlatives, is very much Jobsian. The difference is that it wasn't Jobs. Cook does not have the same gravitas, for he has not been an industry pioneer for 3 decades. So the same words would sound different.

Personally, I give Apple kudos for believing in their design so much that they trust it to lead the industry for another year. Who cares if the competition feels compelled to change its looks every few months. A leader does not have to follow.

The other reason for the simplistic language and the pointing out of basic family oriented apps etc is that Apple does not want to portray itself as a tech company. Apple has commoditized tech and speaks to the mainstream world which consists of average Janes and Joes, not geeks. Look at their iPad tv ads - completely devoid of tech jargon, specifications etc. I think the 'events' are geared towards the press who invariably will quote the speakers in the mainstream media. So the self congratulatory aspects have a function. To me, the most powerful part of this whole presentation was the Siri part, along with the Video - the guy running etc. 'Normal' people will relate to that more than tech stats.
post #127 of 280
Oh man, I forgot how painful it is to read these forums. A bunch of 12 year old fanboys rabidly defending apple products with no sense or logic.

I've been browsing some 'real' forums for a while now, and coming back here makes me loose faith in humanity for how much blatant stupidity is flying around.
post #128 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryMG View Post

I dunno ....

If you look at my reaction in the Steve's Return topic, you can see that I and a lot more people feel a bit ....
"let down" is the only way I can think of to describe the way I feel after this Apple Event.

Not just on the hardware side, but, as much as I like Timmy, he's not Steve.
And what I mean be that is, he presentation seems like it's forced "AppleVibe".
He's even got on the black mock turtleneck, for criminy's sake.

Oh, well.
Given this debut, the good takeaway from this is thst his presentation performance can only go up.
Way up.
And I say that because I love.

I've watched some of Tim's presentation. I believe that he displayed warmth, sincerity and genuine affection for Apple. He's known to be intelligent, highly capable and very hard working. Tim Cook is a fantastic replacement for Steve Jobs as CEO of Apple.
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #129 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant View Post

My mistake. I had the chance to hold my friend's Samsung Galaxy II in my hand and it felt lighter and thinner... The facts seem to suggest differently.
But from the touch and feel, the Samsung feels much better. It's a personal opinion. I am an Apple fan and I had the original iPhone and want to see the original creator succeed but I think it's a mistake for Apple be complacent and offer the same form factor after the long wait time...

I hear what you're saying but at the same time there is a limit to how thin and light you can make a phone and it actually be of any benefit. The iPhone is also heavier because it's FAR better made. I for one would rather a bit of extra weight in my hand for that solid quality. Weight can be reassuring too. Like you say though, personal opinion.

I think the iPhone 4 is a beautiful design, I don't see it being around for two years as being a bad thing.
post #130 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesmoth View Post

Oh man, I forgot how painful it is to read these forums. A bunch of 12 year old fanboys rabidly defending apple products with no sense or logic.

I've been browsing some 'real' forums for a while now, and coming back here makes me loose faith in humanity for how much blatant stupidity is flying around.

Careful when you point fingers my friend. Whenever you do, you always have three pointed right back at you.
post #131 of 280
If there's one thing I've learned from the so-called "analysts" is that they are full of shit. These are the same fools who were saying Enron was a "buy" stock, back in 01.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #132 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

He had on a black buttondown shirt -_-

but I agree he tried to be Jobs...he should've made this fully his own.

One of the better presenters is Vic Gundrata (sp?) for Google I/O he has a swag about him that isn't Jobsian. Cook needs his own swag

Steve Jobs cannot be mimicked.

I think he looked nervous as well as most people would be in his position. He was professional but the enthusiasm is too rehearsed. I think Apple should employ a 'spokes person' who would be very comfortable on stage and who could project 'real' enthusiasm. He could then introduce all the Apple dignitaries as need be. The 'show' has gotten so big that pro presenters are needed. Its the same for Google or MS, their presentations are really lame. Apple should lead the way here. Were they to the rest of the tech industry would follow in no time, guaranteed. I mean, these are nothing but marketing events after all.
post #133 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesmoth View Post

Oh man, I forgot how painful it is to read these forums. A bunch of 12 year old fanboys rabidly defending apple products with no sense or logic.

I've been browsing some 'real' forums for a while now, and coming back here makes me loose faith in humanity for how much blatant stupidity is flying around.

Well it is awesome to have the tone lifted by a real grown man with valuable opinions. Really. And you've gotta be, what, 15?
post #134 of 280
I think Apple is going to do very well with the iPhone 4S. Apple has had historic success with the iPhone thus far because it is a high quality piece with a great user interface that integrates into Apple's reliable family of products and services. This is why people purchased various iterations of the iPhone through the years now when there was almost always an Android (or other) phone with better specs. So now, with the 4S, Apple has a phone that is tougher to challenge or exceed even on the spec sheet yet it remains an Apple product with the quality and integration into their "eco-system". It's the best of both worlds.

On a somewhat unrelated point, those who say Steve Jobs left because he anticipated an impending failure of the iPhone line and perhaps Apple itself to some degree because of this are morons. I mean for God's sake how stupid can people be? Steve Jobs was with the company since its formation in the mid-1970's and through its initial success and then resurgence in recent years. Yet he left because the new iPhone is a 4S instead of a 5 with a different case? That's why some of you think he left!?!?! Have you not paid any attention to his health issues?

The comments of some of these idiots would be funny were it not for the fact that they breed and vote.
post #135 of 280
[QUOTE=...One of the better presenters is Vic Gundrata (sp?) for Google I/O he has a swag about him that isn't Jobsian. C...[/QUOTE]

You must be on crack to compare Vic (it's Gundota btw) to Steve Jobs. It's an absolute insult to the man.

Furthermore, Vic Gundota will go down in history as being a righteous hypocrite for calling out Jobs and Apple as "Big Brother" while the company he works for copied/purchased its way into the market.

Why does'nt Google open source stuff that matters to them???
post #136 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I suggest you compare this keynote to the last few. Then you will see only small variations in script.

They always do some back-patting, and have spent more time on this as Android has grown. The defensiveness is there, and has been there for a year or two now. They almost always tout some home-grown app or insignificant (to us) feature. In fact, Scot Forstall has always liked showing off features or apps with family pictures. Perhaps he is a photography buff?

Listen to the words used. Cook had the same speech writer that Jobs used. There is no question about it. The simplicity of the sentences, spiced with high wattage superlatives, is very much Jobsian. The difference is that it wasn't Jobs. Cook does not have the same gravitas, for he has not been an industry pioneer for 3 decades. So the same words would sound different.

Personally, I give Apple kudos for believing in their design so much that they trust it to lead the industry for another year. Who cares if the competition feels compelled to change its looks every few months. A leader does not have to follow.

I don't really disagree, but just feel that that format strained patience even under Steve.
post #137 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I think he looked nervous as well as most people would be in his position. He was professional but the enthusiasm is too rehearsed. I think Apple should employ a 'spokes person' who would be very comfortable on stage and who could project 'real' enthusiasm. He could then introduce all the Apple dignitaries as need be. The 'show' has gotten so big that pro presenters are needed. Its the same for Google or MS, their presentations are really lame. Apple should lead the way here. Were they to the rest of the tech industry would follow in no time, guaranteed. I mean, these are nothing but marketing events after all.

It was the man's first major gig - can we cut him some slack?
post #138 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTBlomberg View Post

I have to say I as so sick of hearing all the crap flying around about this being the iPhone 4S and not the iPhone 5. If it was an iPhone 5 it would just be the same hardware with the iPhone 5 name, maybe with a slightly different form. Does that change how functional it is or what improvements there are. No. It's just moron hype and that is what has created the expectation problem. Morons.

I especially hate the 4G idiots. We all know 4G LTE is not fully rolled out and that phones with 4G LTE have short battery life. Apple was always going to wait for better chips and better coverage to roll this out. Yes we would all love the speed, but if the whole thing doesn't work is it worth anything.

There is my rant and I see the iPhone 4S as being a great upgrade for myself coming from an iPhone 3GS. If you have an iPhone 4, maybe not, but then again why waste money on an early upgrade in the first place.

After reading this I think I'll stick with my HTC EVO 4G ...
post #139 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

I hear what you're saying but at the same time there is a limit to how thin and light you can make a phone and it actually be of any benefit. The iPhone is also heavier because it's FAR better made. I for one would rather a bit of extra weight in my hand for that solid quality. Weight can be reassuring too. Like you say though, personal opinion.

I think the iPhone 4 is a beautiful design, I don't see it being around for two years as being a bad thing.

Agreed. It would have been nice to see it come in other colours as well (metallic gray?). Again, a personal opinion but the curved design of the iPhone 3G feels much better if compared to the boxy iPhone 4. The glass and metal is really adding weigh. Let's also keep in mind that if we look at buying habits, the durability factor probably should not outweigh the lightness factor IMHO.
People trade in their phones usually after their contract expires and often, they purchase a case for extra protection anyways.
post #140 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I think he looked nervous as well as most people would be in his position. He was professional but the enthusiasm is too rehearsed. I think Apple should employ a 'spokes person' who would be very comfortable on stage and who could project 'real' enthusiasm. He could then introduce all the Apple dignitaries as need be. The 'show' has gotten so big that pro presenters are needed. Its the same for Google or MS, their presentations are really lame. Apple should lead the way here. Were they to the rest of the tech industry would follow in no time, guaranteed. I mean, these are nothing but marketing events after all.

Jeff Bezos had no problem pulling off a Stevie in front of a much larger audience last week. I think it was the hall itself- felt like was down in some bunker. Town Hall?
post #141 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Why do people have an aversion to the glass back? As an owner of a 3GS and a 4, I can safely say the 4 is MUCH more durable, and I've dropped it several dozen times, even on asphalt. My 3GS' case would often crack while in a case, and the whole thing would creak when I squeezed it.

Metal & Glass > Plastic

Because it gives them something to bitch about.
I dropped mine a few times with no harm, but did finally drop and crack the back.
Simple order of a $30 replacement from a company in AU that included tools, and had a really cool transparent back.
post #142 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

He had on a black buttondown shirt -_-

but I agree he tried to be Jobs...he should've made this fully his own.

One of the better presenters is Vic Gundrata (sp?) for Google I/O he has a swag about him that isn't Jobsian. Cook needs his own swag

Steve Jobs cannot be mimicked.

Look at past pictures of Cook, dude. That's been his style for a while now. Jobs is not the first man to discover black shirts. His' style is not so much about wearing a black mock turtleneck. It's about not changing your shirt year after year. Simply by changing his shirt once a week, Cook would be totally his own man
post #143 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpokorny View Post

I for one, am sort of disappointed. What was I expecting? I'm not sure. Innovation, I guess.
I have a 3GS. I love it. I have noticed it being a bit slower with iOS 4. My music did not skip on iOS 3. I would sort of like to use Facetime, but I have an iPad 2 for that. Yes, I would like a HD camera, the iPad 2 camera sucks in my opinion.

So why should I upgrade to a 4s? Siri doesnt really do it for me. Sure, an A5 would be nice. Im really holding out for iOS 5. Im mean, if the 3GS didnt run iOS 5, I would upgrade in a minute.

So $199 for an HD camera, a better display, and faster chip? I dont play games on the phone.

Im also stuck on the "S" upgrade cycle. If I upgrade now, it'll be 2 years before I can upgrade again. Say next year the real iPhone 5 comes out. I wont be able to upgrade without paying more. So I wait until the 5s?

Also, I was hoping for an upgraded Apple TV. I have a first gen Apple TV. Would like a 2nd, but dont want to buy one if a 3rd is coming out soon...which apparently it's not.

Im not a "hater" or whatever. I love my Apple products, would recommend them to anyone. Im just not sure it's worth it to upgrade right now. Meanwhile the specs on the Droid Bionic look really nice...too bad I hate Droids.

Btw..these are all first world problems.

well, i have exactly the same stuff you do (plus some macs), except my ATV is V.2 (and you should get one, it's only $100, if only to use iOS 5 Screen Mirroring with your iPad 2).

but i don't have your angst. we are all stuck in two year telco contract upgrade cycles (except for those who are rich, get phones from their business, can pass along their old phone to their spouse/kids, or are hopelessly addicted to gadgets and buy them compulsively). so the thing to do is straightforward: buy a new phone every two model cycles (might be some months longer than 2 years if you are an early adopter - have a little patience). it will always be a big leap technically from your last one because you skipped one in-between model, and you will be really impressed.

the super new 4S camera alone would be enuff for me. we take a lot of snapshots and some vids. all those improvements really really matter. i will only take a separate camera when i need zoom, like vacation. so if you take many snaps or vids, get a 4S.

FaceTime is fun, my wife loves it. if you have family that can use FaceTime at the other end too, get a 4S.

you have to be on AT&T with an older 3GS. now you can shop for better service/price with Verizon or Sprint. if your service is poor, get a 4S and switch to better service.

those are compelling reasons to upgrade if they apply to you. in addition to the otherwise much superior hardware (and style) of the 4S, and the 3GS' inability to support all the new features of iOS 5. and Siri is certain to continue to evolve and expand in capabilities on the 4S, something to look forward to.

LTE and NFC, etc. will be nice to upgrade to - on the next two year cycle - once they are fully deployed and debugged (which they are not today). i can wait until the iPhone 5S or 6 or whatever it's called for them.
post #144 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Quite a few of my coworkers that have an iPhone 3GS plan to jump ship to Android. The iPhone 3GS was powerful for its time, but the iPhone 4S is just playing incremental catch-up to Android, and even then, it's still behind. Has Apple even revealed how much RAM is in the iPhone 4S or what the A5 is even clocked at? Android has dual-core 1.5 GHz phones with 1 GB RAM. We will be seeing 16 MP cameras in Android phones starting next month and quad-cores are coming.

Most of the iPhone 4S sales will be iPhone 3GS owners that have been out of contract for months. But, I do not think it will convert Android users or bring in new customers excluding new Sprint customers.

So to swap anecdotes with you, I know of no one who is going Android, and know LOTs who've gone back to Apple now that their carrier offers it.
Android appeals to those for whom the device itself, and the hobby of futzing with it, is the whole point. For the vast majority of real users, its about what you do with it, and in that realm, Apple has Android in its rear view mirror.

But by all means, enjoy having to root your HTC phone to get rid of their spyware.
post #145 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant View Post

The thing is this: People do not want to lock themselves down for another 2-3 years with a design that has been around more than a year and a half ago.
And this is where I think Apple can improve on.

By releasing a new phone every few months simply for the sake of change, that people still can't upgrade to because of the CARRIERS' lock in?

The smart user does an every-other-year upgrade to coincide with their contracts.
If you upgrade every year (or every other month) then you're just a junkie.
No problems with that, just don't think everyone is similarly addicted.
post #146 of 280
AI should better vet their analysts... He is by far one of the least respected analysts in tech. In the race to the bottom, he is a stand-out leader. What does the financial press think of Alex? Fortune is not a big fan:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/03/...nded-in-guana/
Quote:
So forgive me if I place some of the blame for what happened Wednesday on an analyst named Alex Gauna at JMP Securities. I never thought much of Gauna's work -- his Q4 2010 predictions were among the worst of 38 Apple analysts Fortune surveyed (see here) -- but he really distinguished himself Wednesday by downgrading Apple and casting aspersions on its product sales even as customers were still (five days after launch) lining up outside Apple Stores in the early morning hours to buy the latest iPad.

Hear the crazy speak here: http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/tag/alex-gauna/

He is merely trying to manipulate his theory into reality, unfortunately for him, Pple has an earnings call coming up and investors will realize how meaningless his spec comparisons are.
post #147 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I think he looked nervous as well as most people would be in his position. He was professional but the enthusiasm is too rehearsed. I think Apple should employ a 'spokes person' who would be very comfortable on stage and who could project 'real' enthusiasm. He could then introduce all the Apple dignitaries as need be. The 'show' has gotten so big that pro presenters are needed. Its the same for Google or MS, their presentations are really lame. Apple should lead the way here. Were they to the rest of the tech industry would follow in no time, guaranteed. I mean, these are nothing but marketing events after all.

lol word...I dread when Vic leaves the stage and the other uber geeky people take the stage. lol
post #148 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

By releasing a new phone every few months simply for the sake of change, that people still can't upgrade to because of the CARRIERS' lock in?

The smart user does an every-other-year upgrade to coincide with their contracts.
If you upgrade every year (or every other month) then you're just a junkie.
No problems with that, just don't think everyone is similarly addicted.

He also ignores the fact that the iPhone 4 still outsells every new phone on the market, people seem pretty content with the design...
post #149 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Look at past pictures of Cook, dude. That's been his style for a while now. Jobs is not the first man to discover black shirts. His' style is not so much about wearing a black mock turtleneck. It's about not changing your shirt year after year. Simply by changing his shirt once a week, Cook would be totally his own man

nah I don't mean he tried to look like Jobs (he didn't) but his movements and attempted delivery were badly done Jobsian.
post #150 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

lol word...I dread when Vic leaves the stage and the other uber geeky people take the stage. lol

Maybe the let's get ready t rumble guy can MC.
post #151 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

How did Apple screw this up? They made literally almost everything about the phone better but they didn't change the design, which is itself quite impressive. Not to mention that they'll probably break sales records again when pre orders start in a few days.

They waited an extra 4 months so as to sell the 4S with iOS5. Apple should have released the 4S this summer and just released iOS 5 on schedule.
post #152 of 280
Has anyone discussed just what the heck those cases we were seeing come out of China might have been for?
post #153 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post

Right, but outside of the larger screen, none of what you've said is exterior design. And it seems to me that design is really the hang up here. It's not enough that the iPhone4S is dramatically faster and with a better camera and new voice control system. A superficial case change seems to be the only metric by which anyone is willing to gauge this.

Not to mention that the new phone is getting tons of new features with iOS5.

Whereas you'd have to either know the phone REALLY well to tell the difference between the GS and GSII without holding it in your hands and it gets a pass.

The exterior design is different, so as to accommodate the larger screen of the S2, as well as other upgraded internals and a larger battery. The S2 chassis when compared to the S1 is slimmer, lighter and larger in both width and length. Also the S1 is more of an oval shape compared to the more rectangular S2. And no, you don't really have to know the phones well to see that one is larger than the other and also shaped differently.

Here's a bottom edge view of both phones:



You can't compare the S2 vs S1 case with IP 4S vs IP 4 because as far as I know, the 4S basically uses the exact same chassis as the IP 4 CDMA version which fixes the antenna issue. I don't think most people disappointed by the 4S right now are only clamoring for the so-called "tear-drop" design of the rumoured IP 5. But rather, the larger 4" screen which accommodates that mock-up. And the lighter, thinner and less fragile aluminium unibody design. I can see why people are disappointed. The IP 5 mock-ups does look amazing.
post #154 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

Initially i was VERY disapointed.

Then I thought about it. The 4s has EVERYTHING I wanted except for one thing, a 4" screen. World phone, improved camera, 64gb, fixed antenna, and dual core CPU.

Nothing is perfect, but overall it's a good upgrade for 3gs owners who waited out the 4

Is it truly a world phone? Will it work in Japan (serious question)?
post #155 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesmoth View Post

Oh man, I forgot how painful it is to read these forums. A bunch of 12 year old fanboys rabidly defending apple products with no sense or logic.

I've been browsing some 'real' forums for a while now, and coming back here makes me loose faith in humanity for how much blatant stupidity is flying around.

By 'real forums', I assume you mean the slew of HTC forums with everyone scrambling with advise on how to get the trojan spyware off of their phone.

The only 'fanboi-ism' here is coming from those who still think that Apple's products are about feature list.
They're about usefulness. And the public gets it.
post #156 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

By 'real forums', I assume you mean the slew of HTC forums with everyone scrambling with advise on how to get the trojan spyware off of their phone.

The only 'fanboi-ism' here is coming from those who still think that Apple's products are about feature list.
They're about usefulness. And the public gets it.

oh you're one of those -_-

I bet you think every non Apple PC is like a cheap hooker with viruses.
post #157 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

Do people still think analysts know what they're talking about? If so, I have a bridge to sell yah

An analyst who favors Apple is a "good" analyst.

One who disfavors Apple is a "bad" analyst.

Do I get a cookie?

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #158 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Speaking of presentation snafus, would it have hurt them to add that most of the new features for the Nano would be available that night as a software update to the existing model?
We downloaded it and its great.

Wait, are you serious? I asked that very question over in the Nano thread. I thought everything that was announced in the presentation (admittedly, I have watched it yet, only saw the feeds) was software and asked why someone needed to buy a new Nano. So are you saying that you got all of those new features on the previous Nano via Software Update?
post #159 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

Good grief, Terrence... do you even think about this stuff before you write it? The mere fact that all you can think about is the specs shows that you don't get it.

Consumers want something useful - something that adds value to their lives. They don't care if it has 512MB of RAM and an onboard GPU and two cores running at 1.2GHZ - they care that it takes great pictures, it's easy and fun to use, it has a ton of apps, they are safe to obtain, that you can access great content offerings, and watch them anywhere when you want, etc.

Only the geeks with the pointy hats think the amount of RAM is more important than the experience of using the device and how it adds value to your life, and only the geeks think that characteristics like "bytes of RAM" and "end user value" are actually synonymous.

Why are you referring to me by my first name (albeit, you misspelled it). Do you happen to know me? I am a geek, I will admit that. I love tech specs.

My primary complaint about Apple is that they are playing it too safe. iPhone 4S and iOS 5 feel like safe upgrades and do not do enough to blow the competition out of the water. Hardware-wise, iPhone 4S is about the equivalent mid-end Android phone. Lets get that out of the way.

Software and feature-wise, I am not impressed either. Siri seems gimmicky (ala Nintendo 3DS' 3D screen), but I will find out for sure how useful it turns out to be once I get my iPhone 4S next week. Apple was touting how fast the iPhone can snap pictures. It would have been nice to see some comparisons of the camera quality compared to competitors. Once the reviews come out next week, we will find out how the camera actually fares. I use a digital camera now because the iPhone 3GS' camera is not up to snuff. The iPhone 4S' camera might be a sufficient replacement.

I have voiced my opinions before on what I would like to see changed in iOS. Here are the two most frequently used features about my iPhone: Maps and Safari.

Maps. There are many toll roads in Southern California and I would love if I could configure Maps to avoid toll roads. Perhaps, add in navigation support to Maps. The revamped notification system is nice, but it is more similar to Android's counterpart part, so nothing to toot their horn about. I passionately hated the notification system in iOS 4.

Safari. I frequently use my phone's web browser at home rather than my MacBook Pro because it is just small and convenient. I frequently visit Memebase websites and they completely kills my iPhone 3GS. Safari's performance is heavily based around the amount of RAM available to the application.

Let me make one thing clear and it is that I am a very Apple oriented person. I have 2 iPhone 3GS' (soon to be 2 iPhone 4S'), 17" MacBook Pro and 3 iPod Nanos. The competition has become fierce in the smart phone market and my frustration is that I feel Apple is being complacent and not doing enough to innovate.
post #160 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

2. a non-glass back panel as they have shown to be too fragile. I am careful with my phone, but it would be my luck to drop it and shatter it. If you only have glass on the front, then you have a 50% less chance of glass breaking if and when you drop.

I'm not picking on you, but this just made be wonder. If the shape was the same, but had a plastic back, wouldn't the glass front be heavier, making it tend to fall face down? Kinda like the butter side of the bread hitting the floor?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's iPhone 4S event seen lacking 'panache,' allowing Android to gain
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 4S event seen lacking 'panache,' allowing Android to gain