or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 4S event seen lacking 'panache,' allowing Android to gain

Apple's iPhone 4S event seen lacking 'panache,' allowing Android to gain - Page 6

post #201 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

Although someone pointed that Apple could make the screen a bit bigger and still be "within retina territory". But I personally dread the very idea of pushing the ppi downwards(even if slightly), feels wrong at this stage. I'd rather stay with the current size.

If technically viable, it probably wouldn't be such a bad thing for apple to stretch the display to fill out the bezel of the current iPhone's form factor. It would reduce the PPI below 'Retina display' levels, but not much, and the screen would still look fantastic. As you mentioned, though, they cannot change the actual pixel resolution (for numerous reasons).

Although they probably won't do it for the 'Retina display' reason alone.

Regarding what I said about 'technically viable', that would include any sacrifice associated with bringing the display so far over the antenna system. Obviously I'm no iPhone designer but I can appreciate that this could lead to things such as cost changes and potential dimension changes. Even small details (like this, or sacrificing the 'Retina display') matter to Apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

The reaction on Wall Street is now quite positive... One. Day. After. the unveiling.

I'm totally not responding to you here just because of the other thread. I stopped replying there because it was off-topic. I just wanted to point out that AAPL, today, is performing negatively compared to the NASDAQ (at the time of writing), as was the case yesterday. So even though we're seeing an increase in AAPL today, you could say that Wall Street is still responding negatively to the iPhone 4GS.

Not that I agree with them. I bought some more AAPL stock at the bottom of the dip yesterday. The only concern I have in doing so is the market as a whole.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
post #202 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

He had on a black buttondown shirt -_-

but I agree he tried to be Jobs...he should've made this fully his own.

One of the better presenters is Vic Gundrata (sp?) for Google I/O he has a swag about him that isn't Jobsian. Cook needs his own swag

Steve Jobs cannot be mimicked.

You forget he's been with the company for 14 years. He wasn't mimicking Jobs. He was being Apple. That was his job before, and it's still his job now, even more so. That's the job of all of these guys. They are Apple.
post #203 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek
There does seem to be quite a bit of disappointment over this, I know that three of my friends will not be upgrading based on the announcement.

Had Apple released the iPhone 4S back in June not many people I know would have complained, but to be 4 months later than usual and then show off a "S" model....... Well what did Apple expect? They screwed up plain & simple.

Still, as a 3GS owner it's good enough for me so I'll be pre ordering on Friday.
Somebody said iPhone 4S.. S=Steve please come back!
__

Nobody has said anything about this but Tim Cook came off so boring. He is firing on all cylinders except for his press skills. I think given training for these public preso's Apple would be better off as far as the post-announcement period of iPhone's or whatever else comes up.

The no "panache" aspect came only from Tim. I love ya Tim! ...but we need more spirit coming out of you like Steve.

Rick
Apple Fan for life
post #204 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

You know, now that you mention it...

And now for the obligatory mention of the fact that Androids are actually not Robots at all (and vice versa), so the average Android user's self-image is even more f*cked up than that anyway, and basically based on a lie to begin with.
post #205 of 280
More importantly for Apple the technology they areas selling is built around software. Taking a more complete view of what they are delivering the 4s is major upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

There does seem to be quite a bit of disappointment over this, I know that three of my friends will not be upgrading based on the announcement.

There are also a lot of idiots in the world, I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about your friends. Beyond that why do people think they have to automatically upgrade every time Apple releases product? I really don't get this, I've owned two iPhones at this point and the 3G was only replaced because it started to fail.
Quote:
Had Apple released the iPhone 4S back in June not many people I know would have complained, but to be 4 months later than usual and then show off a "S" model....... Well what did Apple expect? They screwed up plain & simple.

Nope, they delivered a major upgrade but unfortunately people are to dense to see that.
Quote:
Still, as a 3GS owner it's good enough for me so I'll be pre ordering on Friday.

Yep and when you get that iPhone I would expect your tune to change rapidly. For you the transition will impressive simply due to the better performance. So post back around December about your 4s, I don't think you will be disappointed.
post #206 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Let's just say I never touch a Windows machine without a condom.

my thoughts exactly
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #207 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

How does one become an analyst? Do you just need a blog and a bad opinion?

A lot of anal.
post #208 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Always works? An iPhone? Ya never had to reset the phone to get it to update messages? Mybe reset to actually get it to open the phone app? Or best, when it has decided twht it doesn't want to connect to any 3gnetwork that it chews through the battery trying, and then dies.
Maybe when you open the camera app and it sits with the shutter closed until the app is reset.

Maybe iOS5 will enable it to always work, but otherwise it's a nice dream.

Nope. I never had any of those problems. Maybe yours is broken.
post #209 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by barton springs View Post

Somebody said iPhone 4S.. S=Steve please come back!

That somebody overlooked the fact that the iPhone 4S is Steve. We'll be seeing Steve-guided Apple for quite a while as we continue to see products which Steve Jobs had his hands in for, perhaps, the next few years. If Tim Cook doesn't do anything drastic (I don't think he will) it will be some time before we start to see any changes which might be described as "Tim Cook's Apple," and even then, we don't know how influential Steve will be going forward in his new role.
  Samuel Johnson
  Samuel Johnson
post #210 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

I'm totally not responding to you here just because of the other thread. I stopped replying there because it was off-topic. I just wanted to point out that AAPL, today, is performing negatively compared to the NASDAQ (at the time of writing), as was the case yesterday. So even though we're seeing an increase in AAPL today, you could say that Wall Street is still responding negatively to the iPhone 4GS.

Not that I agree with them. I bought some more AAPL stock at the bottom of the dip yesterday. The only concern I have in doing so is the market as a whole.

Whatever, dude... but you are wrong here as well.

AAPL is almost bang on with the Nasdaq today (AAPL +1.73% - Nasdaq +1.74%) and anything that is in positive territory is considered just that.

If AAPL was viewed negatively because of yesterday then guess what... AAPL wuld be in negative territory... unless, of course, negative numbers are really positive and positive numbers are now negative.

You just have to compare the launch of iP4 and you'll see the response on Wall Street to a negative view.
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #211 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by delete View Post

Different case, Larger screen, NFC chip (along with the inside upgrades they made).

It is a tablet or slab type cell phone, another case won't materially affect the design nor usability.

I'm actually in agreement when it comes to a larger screen but again that would not be replacement for the current 4 series iPhones.

Actually many would consider a NFC to be an unwanted addition.

In any event nothing you suggest here is reason to be critical of the iPhone 4S. It is a rather massive overhaul.
post #212 of 280
Quote:

AAPL is almost bang on with the Nasdaq today (AAPL +1.73% - Nasdaq +1.74%) and anything that is in positive territory is considered just that.

Apple was not so close at the time I wrote. Such is the stock market. What this would then, suggest, is that AAPL is performing on par with the market. That's a gain for AAPL, sure, but you can't equate that to a positive reception for the iPhone 4S. If anything it would suggest that perhaps the stock market has come to terms with it and is keeping the adjustments of yesterday. (Note that this morning AAPL was down more significantly in comparison to the market and it has since recovered the lost ground).

It is not so unusual, though, for this to happen after the Apple announcement.

Quote:

If AAPL was viewed negatively because of yesterday then guess what... AAPL wuld be in negative territory... unless, of course, negative numbers are really positive and positive numbers are now negative.

To gauge investor reaction you have to look at the stock and the market as a whole (perhaps along with competitors offering similar products). You can't just look at the AAPL stock alone. For example, if the NASDAQ was up 3% and Apple was up only 0.5%, that might represent a negative reaction to something related to Apple, not a positive reaction.

I have a feeling you already know this...

Quote:

You just have to compare the launch of iP4 and you'll see the response on Wall Street to a negative view.

What are you referring to? 'Antennagate'? Whatever indications we have from the past it doesn't change the simple observation presented above. And it should also be observed that it is possible to have varied degrees of negative reaction. That should go without saying.
  Samuel Johnson
  Samuel Johnson
post #213 of 280
Is it just me or do those pictures of the white iPhone make the screen look absolutely puny? Lot's of wasted space there - hopefully fixed on iPhone 5!
post #214 of 280
Quote:

Apple was not so close at the time I wrote. Such is the stock market. What this would then, suggest, is that AAPL is performing on par with the market. That's a gain for AAPL, sure, but you can't equate that to a positive reception for the iPhone 4S. If anything it would suggest that perhaps the stock market has come to terms with it and is keeping the adjustments of yesterday. (Note that this morning AAPL was down more significantly in comparison to the market and it has since recovered the lost ground).

It is not so unusual, though, for this to happen after the Apple announcement.

To gauge investor reaction you have to look at the stock and the market as a whole (perhaps along with competitors offering similar products). You can't just look at the AAPL stock alone. For example, if the NASDAQ was up 3% and Apple was up only 0.5%, that might represent a negative reaction to something related to Apple, not a positive reaction.

I have a feeling you already know this...

What are you referring to? 'Antennagate'? Whatever indications we have from the past it doesn't change the simple observation presented above. And it should also be observed that it is possible to have varied degrees of negative reaction. That should go without saying.

This is all just gobbledegook.

A negative reaction puts a stock in negative territory. Period. [on edit: trailing the Naz by less than 1% does not a negative reaction make... neutral... sure... but not negative]

... and I checked the time of your post... AAPL differed from the Naz by .2%.

Try as hard as you may to put Apple's unveiling in a negative light but it just aint gonna wash.

[The strange thing to me is that you would think that the unveiling of the 4S, if viewed negatively, would have put some positive light on Google... not so, GOOG is trailing AAPL today.]
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #215 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post

A superficial case change seems to be the only metric by which anyone is willing to gauge this.

Not to mention that the new phone is getting tons of new features with iOS5.

I think you really hit the nail on the head here.

Just take the 4S's guts (total improvement over last years model) and drop it in a different case design (call it a 5 instead of 4S) and the overall reaction would be totally different (not god's next gift but an overall different reaction). The threads would have been littered with folks saying they'd be pre-ordering 5's to replace their year old 4's.

Absolutely ridiculous when you step back and think about it.

All that said, there's been this huge expectation of the "next hot thing" coming from Apple - and that's only increased over the last year. Throw in almost half an extra year of waiting and they pull back the curtain and it looks...just like last years...and all the 12 and 13 year olds (and the folks that want to wear the next iPhone to show off that they have the latest thing and can't with a 4S) are feeling like they've been let down.

This expectation that it should look different to be new and better seemed to be very basic and widespread - even the analysts were reacting the same the way - the main tech analyst on CNBC was saying Apple's never done something like this (guess he missed the 3GS).

Very weird reaction overall - that said it might have been better business to put it in a new shell and call it a 5 - although that is not how Apple operates. I could also see Jobs wanting the 4's shell back when they defined this phone just to give the antenna critics the finger one more time, that would be so Steve.
post #216 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

The disappointment stems from hyped up articles in places like Appleinsider. Apple never made claims they'd be coming out with anything else. The current iPhone was pushed back because they released the Verizon iPhone in February and it didn't make sense to release a completely new model in June. Second, Sprint deal was in the works, probably, and they wanted to include the necessary hardware to include them instead of a separate model as they did with Verizon.

I suspect many people completely mis what Apple has come up with here. The 4S a far bigger refinement of the iPhone that the transition from the 3G to the 3GS.
Quote:
The iPhone 3G and 3GS models were basically incremental improvements over their predecessor. iPhone 4 marked a new form with the retina screen. So with Apple's history, did you really expect a game changing iPhone? Come on...

Personally I was expecting two new iPhones, that so Apple could break out of it's on horse show. Even then I think you under play just how significant this update is.
Quote:
iPhone 5 will come next year and it'll be a game changer. That, I'm sure of...

Well to be honest I don't see that as a given. In the end all iPhone is, is a very portable computer as such there are limits. For example 4G isn't a game changer, it is just another form of networking. Another example would be a larger screen, which is more of an individual preference. I'm certain there are people out there that would go for a smaller screen.

Much of the grumbling in the forums has nothing to do with the excellence that is iPhone 4S. Rather it is about personal preference, vanity and other things of questionable value. Sit down for a minute and think about what Apple did with the 4S and you can't help but to be impressed.
post #217 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Is it just me or do those pictures of the white iPhone make the screen look absolutely puny? Lot's of wasted space there - hopefully fixed on iPhone 5!

Well that's always been the problem with the white iPhone or iPad...
Black makes it look like one big screen. With white the frame is much more pronounced and the screen looks fenced in and smaller.
post #218 of 280
I agree with the missing panache observation.

Especially Cook and Schiller were not just missing their usual energy - they seemed definitely sad.
When Cook said "I love Apple", it sounded like "I can't believe how much I miss Steve".

At the same time, I don't see how this would influence Apple's chances against other platforms, including all the Android versions.
post #219 of 280
Quote:

He lost.

so... not analagous to the current history?
post #220 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlehamster View Post

so... not analagous to the current history?

I must have misunderstood... it sounded as if you were championing that bot as an Android robot. An interpretation I read (or may have misread) from the description of the other bots you showed.

Sorry if I misunderstood.
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #221 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by boriscleto View Post

A lot of anal.

+1
post #222 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post

It's amazing to me. If Apple had released the the exact same internals as the 4S but in a new form factor, everyone would have been happy (except those wanting a bigger screen).

This is all about looks, which is fine. But I think it's dingenous of people to call this a "minor" update or a spec bump. The ONLY thing that hasn't changed here is the case.

It is a massive upgrade. The obsession people have with looks though is really disgusting though. It is like they have no concept of what is in their hand.

People complaining about looks here are like the people that buy 4 wheel drives and then get stuck in 2 inches of snow. They have no clue and a very superficial grasp of reality.
Quote:
Here's another point-

SAMSUN GALAXY S

SAMSUNG GALAXY S II

Wow! So different! So where's the moral outrage on that one?

People are such hypocrites.

Hypocrites possibly, ignorant most assuredly and likely very vain.
post #223 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxxic View Post

I agree with the missing panache observation.

Especially Cook and Schiller were not just missing their usual energy - they seemed definitely sad.
When Cook said "I love Apple", it sounded like "I can't believe how much I miss Steve".

At the same time, I don't see how this would influence Apple's chances against other platforms, including all the Android versions.

With all due respect, you are simply projecting your own sentiments.

People expected a Jobs-less keynote to be different, and looked for differences. Similarly, some people were expecting iP5 and were determined to be disappointed with anything less.

If you're able to observe objectively, this was a good keynote, scripted the same as previous ones. All the speakers spoke as they usually do. It will take a little getting used to, but we will all adjust. At the end of the day, Jobs' winning presentation style was really not about the way he spoke. It had to do with the fact that the products were his vision. We all speak more passionately about our children.
post #224 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

This is the same idiot who downgraded apple.

http://blogs.wsj.com/marketbeat/2011...ngraded-apple/

He is still employed? I guess there's no performance expectations in his firm.

Yeah, Alex Guana's track record with Apple is slightly worse than picking random forecasts out of a hat. He's predicted horrible numbers for Apple for each of the last 3 quarters, and all 3 have been record setters. I can't wait to see his predictions compared to other analysts in Philip Elmer-Dewit's earning's report comparison this quarter.
post #225 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

Not sure. Challenge is resolution issue. To keep things easy to scale up for app devs, they need to do 2x resolution at least to maintain the "retina" marketing with a larger screen. That's a LOT of horsepower to push that many pixels...

I don't see that happening, and I don't see them increasing the screen size at all. The current size is perfect for a phone. The only reason android phones are sporting bigger, yet not as good, screens is that they have to do something to disguise the fact that the only reason the phone is ridiculously large is to hold a battery big enough to last for more than 2 hours.
post #226 of 280
bunch of FUD
simple buy it or don't buy it

it will break ALL SALES records its really a non issue

antenae-gate.....ip4s-gate....

its all FUD
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #227 of 280
Quote:

This is all just gobbledegook.

A negative reaction puts a stock in negative territory. Period.

... and I checked the time of your post... AAPL differed from the Naz by .2%.

Try as hard as you may to put Apple's unveiling in a negative light but it just aint gonna wash.

[The strange thing to me is that you would think that the unveiling of the 4S, if viewed negatively, would have put some positive light on Google... not so, GOOG is trailing AAPL today.]

What you say would be true if, and only if, the stock market as a whole was governed strictly by people reacting to individual companies based on their individual products. As it stands, however, much of what happens in the stock market is governed by people reacting to global or national issues (e.g. fears about the Economy in Europe, a natural disaster, or worry about a second dip recession). You can gauge these things by looking a changes applied generally across the whole market, and this also happens to be the reason why someone can come on in the morning, on NPR Marketplace, and tell you why the Dow slipped 3%, or why most financial institutions slipped ~X%. And two more things. APPL is an indexed stock which subjects it to a range of trading, automated or otherwise, based solely on an index. Also, much of the trading which takes place is handled by software based on a range of conditions. Thus, AAPL can be up or down—sometimes significantly—based on a range of conditions which can have absolutely nothing to do with Apple. Thus, some understanding of market shifts as a whole, on any given day, is necessary to make judgements about how investors responded to a specific company-related event like the release of the iPhone 4GS.

This is extremely basic stuff. If you're really going to sit here and argue that gauging investor reaction to the iPhone 4GS is as simple as checking to see if the ticker is red or green, you have no business discussing the stock market.

To answer your nitpick quibble, I checked around the time I wrote (I balance this stuff with real work), and it was closer to -0.4%. And even -0.2% represents nothing positive. Relative to the NASDAQ, it's a wash.

As for Google, it rarely responds in significant degree to AAPL, so your point is useless. This could be because investors understand that Google's income comes, primarily, from sources other than Android, so even if Android were wiped off the face of the planet they would still be considering the sources which account for the majority of Google's income.

A better comparison would have been RIM, which does respond in relation to Apple announcements, and this is because the performance of the iPhone and Apple in the smartphone market has a direct impact on RIM. If you look at their stock, you can see how it adjusted around the Apple announcement, and quite positively. Again, negative investor response to the Apple iPhone 4S.

Note that the investors are, generally, idiots anyway. Any negativity today will be washed away in time as Apple, once again, smashes the negative expectations associated with their product, announces remarkable sales and profit, and lives on to complete the cycle again.
  Samuel Johnson
  Samuel Johnson
post #228 of 280
These so called analysts would skewer Babe Ruth for hitting a triple instead of a home run.
post #229 of 280
When the 3GS was announced, it too was greeted with a certain degree of disappointment, but the iPhone had little competition at the time. Not so today. As a matter of fairness (or lack thereof), it doesn't seem to matter much to consumers that the competition is copying Apple either. In Jan. 2007, Jobs said the iPhone had a 5-year lead over the competition. The 5 years is over.

IMHO any deficiencies in the 4S fundamentally arise from the built-in battery constraint Apple's engineers must work within.
post #230 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

When the 3GS was announced, it too was greeted with a certain degree of disappointment, but the iPhone had little competition at the time. Not so today. As a matter of fairness (or lack thereof), it doesn't seem to matter much to consumers that the competition is copying Apple either. In Jan. 2007, Jobs said the iPhone had a 5-year lead over the competition. The 5 years is over.

A familiar song, but not one backed by any historic data.
Another blockbuster sales year will come and go for Apple.
And we will be reading this same sort of thing again.
  Samuel Johnson
  Samuel Johnson
post #231 of 280
Quote:

A familiar song, but not one backed by any historic data.

Historical data: Android marketshare is now greater than iOS marketshare and growing, both within the U.S. and worldwide.

Quote:
Another blockbuster sales year will come and go for Apple.
And we will be reading this same sort of thing again.

I don't disagree that Apple will see good sales. From my perspective, the debate concerns what it could have been.
post #232 of 280
Any iPhone 4 owners upgrading?

Seems a bit of a conservative upgrade. But there's not exactly much they can do hardware-wise other than upgrading the internals.
post #233 of 280
The mob of Fandroids have a very large reality distortion field.

Here's a clue. Long stretches of the launch of the 17th speed bump of the MacBook often didn't have any zing either. So what? It didn't matter.

But from the first "Welcome..." of the keynote, the Fandroids are out to distort reality. The analysts, ha ha, are largely just picking up ideas from the water cooler anyway, since they're almost always wrong about everything themselves. Water-cooler gossip metastasizes in the Internets.
post #234 of 280
Quote:

The reaction on Wall Street is now quite positive... One. Day. After. the unveiling.

Everyone who doubts Apple just has to look back at antennagate. When the 4 was released AAPL dropped 10% over the next couple of weeks and another 2% beyond that over the next 2 months. Apple was doomed. Wait! What!?

Apple is still under-performing the market since the iPhone4S announcement.

http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:AAPL

HP, Dell, Microsoft, Amazon and most other high profile tech stocks on the NASDAQ have done better (as a percentage) than Apple today, as did the overall NASDAQ average. I don't think they've convinced investors quite yet, but they'll come around, probably sooner rather than later.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #235 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

The high price seems to be putting off a lot of my friends.

The SIM free prices in the UK are £499/£599/£699. The 32GB and 64GB models cost more than the equivalent iPad 2 3G models. Buying an iPhone 4S is hard to justify for most people when the latest and greatest Android handset can be picked up for £360 and a 32GB microSD card only costs £30.

I'm still definitely going to buy one but it won't be the top model.

Miniaturisation makes things cost MORE, not LESS. And that's hardly a new concept. Plus I'm guessing that because Siri is 4S ONLY, the 4S has 1GB of RAM. The 4S will have a slightly slower CPU/GPU and front-side bus than the iPad 2 (as with the iPhone 4 and iPad 1). So the added RAM is pretty much the only explanation for iPad 2 being excluded from Siri, especially considering how deeply it appears to be integrated into iOS.

My guess is Siri will be able interact with tons of apps by default, purely based on the accessibility settings (if developers have implemented them correctly).

That kind of awareness will need RAM more than anything else, end of story!

Let's not forget that the latest and greatest Android phones still run somewhat laggy with Android (mainly due to the OS handling of gesture recognition etc.) and Android's eco-system is far from stellar.

Android has, since its release, been turning into a crapfest, 3.x for tablets STILL hasn't been properly open-sourced and the number of Android apps is less than the number of iPad specific apps. The number of Android 3.x specific apps is woefully, especially seeing as it's been out almost one year.

As soon as Nokia enters the battle with MS, Android may as well just pack it bags.
post #236 of 280
Any disappointment in the announced iPhone 4S can be credited with being generated by the media and blogs. The hype surrounding this event and no Steve Jobs available to intro the device made the expectations impossible to live up to. Tight lipped Apple never said the iPhone would have a new body and never pre-named it iPhone 5. The rumored name and form of the phone was suppose to yet again, revolutionize the mobile phone/PDA. When an updated/upgraded device with impossible expectations was unveiled, the wailing and gnashing couldn't start quickly enough.

I'm not too disappointed. It would be nice to have a new favorite toy but the iPhone 4S is what it is and it want do any good to gripe. Besides, I'll probably get one anyway.
post #237 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

How does one become an analyst? Do you just need a blog and a bad opinion?

Yep...you got it. All you need to be an analyst is to be someone who is constantly critical and is not capable of actually doing something himself.
SkyKing
SkyKing
post #238 of 280
For those who forgot..

We had the iPhone 3g. the 3GS was simply a better 3G.

Now we got the same sequence with the iPhone 4 and 4S.

Think back more than your last vacation or hangover guys. No reason to criticize just because the analysts built up everyones hopes for something that was not going to happen.

If you like the 4S...buy it. If you don't like the 4S...don't buy it.

But, for goodness sakes, since most of our posters are like me (can't design, produce or market an equivalent or better product) stop whining about what Apple "should have done"
SkyKing
SkyKing
post #239 of 280
Quote:

Historical data: Android marketshare is now greater than iOS marketshare and growing, both within the U.S. and worldwide.

Thus, doom for Apple? The response to Android depends on other far-reaching operating systems competing at all ranges of the market. If no such response arrives (e.g. competitors like Microsoft fail) Android will continue to grow in market share. That does not mean much for Apple, though. Android has to convince current iPhone users, en masse, to migrate to Android for the material impact to take place, and that's not happening (nor do I expect it will unless Apple sits on its laurels and Android and its marketplace starts to receive some really great polish).

Marketshare is not the statistic to look for in determining the success of every platform. It may be vital if, like Google, what you really want is eyeballs and clicks, or if, like some PC manufacturers, you're operating on extremely slender margins, but for Apple what they need is their slice of the high end market.

[Insert random mention of Apple computers, Lexus, or whatever here.]

Quote:

I don't disagree that Apple will see good sales. From my perspective, the debate concerns what it could have been.

For Apple to compete on marketshare as Android does it will have to license its operating system to other hardware manufacturers. If they had done that, Android would never have grown as it did. If they did that, they would start to eat heavily into Android's marketshare. But in doing this, they would also have to sacrifice so much of what makes the iPhone such an exceptional device, and they'd probably also be making a terrible business decision.
  Samuel Johnson
  Samuel Johnson
post #240 of 280
Quote:

In Jan. 2007, Jobs said the iPhone had a 5-year lead over the competition. The 5 years is over.

Right... Apple has just stood still for the past 5 years.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's iPhone 4S event seen lacking 'panache,' allowing Android to gain
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 4S event seen lacking 'panache,' allowing Android to gain