or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Sprint confirms unlimited data plans for iPhone subscribers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sprint confirms unlimited data plans for iPhone subscribers - Page 2

post #41 of 65
The quality of your service is 100% rooted in where you live and where you are at that moment. Everything else is absolutely meaningless.

My iP4 is on Verizon, and the service is good, but the company is awful. Their billing practices are criminal.


AT&T sucks, and hasn't a prayer of getting a dime of my money ever. I lump them in with Chase bank and Comcast...meaning satan's trifecta. Ma Bell should be starved, and never fed.

I'm looking forward to consolidating everything to Sprint with the iP4S.
post #42 of 65
Sometimes I can't tell if asshats are trolling or really do lack the requisite reading comprehension needed to be on an internet forum.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #43 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You should take your advice. You're the one that have been pooh-poohing every carrier that isn't' Sprint while I've stated, verbatim, "For my needs" and "If you make a lot of calls, send a lot of text, and don't care so much about fast data speeds then Sprint sounds like it would be a good option."

It was also you that stated HSPA+ (14.4Mbps - 84Mbps) is comparable as EV-DO Rev. A. (!5Mbps - 15Mbps) despite 1) that clearly not being true, 2) Sprint not offering EV-DO Rev. B, and 3) only the assumed Qualcomm chipset in the iPhone 4S having the option for EV-DO Rev. B with evidence to suggest it won't have it.

Why you need to make up reasons you like Sprint is pretty pathetic. Again, I'm the one that stated. "If you make a lot of calls, send a lot of text, and don't care so much about fast data speeds then Sprint sounds like it would be a good option." yet all you've done is say how AT&T sucks because you don't get theoretical data speeds of 14.4Mbps on a phone that isn't yet on the market.

Tell you what. You find me a SpeedTest rating for any Sprint phone with '3G' downstream that is faster than this AT&T '3G' rating from nearly 1.5 years ago and I'll buy you a Sprint iPhone 4S.



In DC I don't see anywhere near these results on my 3gs. Typically 1-2 Mps download, 0.1 upload.
post #44 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

In DC I don't see anywhere near these results on my 3gs. Typically 1-2 Mps download, 0.1 upload.

Speeds will vary but the bottom line is still that the UMTS HW in the iPhone 4S allows for much faster downloads than the CDMA HW in the iPhone 4S, despite gwmac's claims that EV-DO "far faster data speeds comparable to HSPA+" despite that not being true with even Rev. B and evidence to suggest the iPhone 4S has no Rev. B.

For your area Sprint might offer the fastest data, but that has nothing to do with the potential of the iPhone 4S, it the nature of cellular networks.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #45 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Doctor heal thyself. Still waiting on your actual speedtest results and not one you used from Anandtech.

Put up or shut up Mr. AT&T apologist.

To what end? You can't seem to separate the HW from the network. You can't seem to see that Verizon and AT&T are viable networks for a great many users. You simply can't see that all carriers have their pros and cons, but that saying EV-DO is comparable to HSPA+ is not one of them.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #46 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Speeds will vary but the bottom line is still that the UMTS HW in the iPhone 4S allows for much faster downloads than the CDMA HW in the iPhone 4S, despite gwmac's claims that EV-DO "far faster data speeds comparable to HSPA+" despite that not being true with even Rev. B and evidence to suggest the iPhone 4S has no Rev. B.

For your area Sprint might offer the fastest data, but that has nothing to do with the potential of the iPhone 4S, it the nature of cellular networks.

You are correct, theoretically AT*T is a lot faster. But the problem is that only in certain areas do you get these speeds, and the network is very unreliable in my travels over the last 2 years. (LA, Atlanta, Orlando, Chicago, NYC)

Let me be clear, I REALLY want to stick with AT&T as I like the data and voice simultaneously and the theoretical speed. The problem is the theory never seems available where I have used it, and many times I came close to throwing my phone against the wall due to mysteriously missed calls, dropped calls, and just internet timeouts despite "full bars"
post #47 of 65
BTW, the AT&T numbers I just mentioned are in the last day! Will post the screen shot if I get a chance.

AT&T seems to be about 2Mps download OUTDOORS, indoors the numbers in DC get below 1Mps

I read once that the problem is the frequency AT&T uses wavelength doesn't penetrate buildings as well as the frequencies allocated to other carriers?
post #48 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Stop making straw man arguments. I never said EVDO was faster than the various GSM 3G protocols. I did say that EVDO Rev. B is much faster than Rev A and puts it in the ballpark with GSM 3G in ACTUAL usage speeds for REAL people. I also acknowledged that Rev. B is not yet deployed so AT&T's CURRENT 3G is indeed faster than Sprint or Verizon's CURRENT Rev. A. I just took issue with you touting theoretical maximum speeds instead of the typical speed most AT&T users would actually experience. Verizon's LTE is also very fast but how much slower will it be once they have many more million users accessing that data? Right now it is like an empty super highway, but wait till there is more traffic.

You seem completely fixated on theoretical maximums. That also seems to be the reason you refuse to post an actual speedtest from your phone in your city to back your claims up. Why are you so afraid to post a speedtest from your phone? Hmm.....

Still waiting...tick tock

1) I've quoted you verbatim on several occasions: "here are a lot of rumors that both Sprint and Verizon are upgrading their EVDO to Revision B and/or 1XAdvanced. That would mean far faster data speeds comparable to HSPA+."

2) I used theoretical speeds across the board because I'm 1) honest, 2) actually understand the technology. You claimed EV-DO Rev. B — which isn't in the iPhone as far as we know — is "far faster" than HSPA+, which I've pointed out as being patently false.

3) Why spread the lies? Why not just accept that EV-DO isn't the fastest data network technology. You get better voice quality with Sprint over AT&T and Sprint is better for voice-heavy uses, as I've previous stated. Why so much dismissal of every carrier that isn't Sprint? What do you fear by not having everyone crowd your network? As I stated I welcome you tricking others into thinking AT&T's '3G' network potential is worse than Sprint's. Take all you can. Give me more bandwidth.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #49 of 65
Could someone clearly explain why AT&T is so inconsistent with their service reliability?

I really don't believe years after they have had the iphone that voice calls and data are just so unreliable due to "heavy volume"
post #50 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

God you are a broken record. EVDO IS SLOWER THAN HSPA+ Are you happy now? I also admit that AT&T's POTENTIAL IS faster than even EVDO Rev. B.

It's about fucking time.


Quote:
I am simply saying that in the real world, very few if any iPhone AT&T customers are seeing your mythical speeds.

1) These aren't unicorns tears and faireydust. There is nothing mythical about the specs, they are theoretical. Lab speeds based on the tech on the HW, not speeds achieved in the real world. If you're going to be on a tech forum you need to learn this.

2) Be consistent! Be honest! If you mention the theoretical speeds of EV-DO Rev. B don't counter it with a speed test of a friend of a friend of some guy you know that uses AT&T.

Quote:
That is also the reason you refuse to post your speedtest results. Because if you did you would lose the argument.

Use a little common sense and think this through. What would me posting an AT&T '3G' speed for a specific location at a given time prove in relation to Sprint's '3G' speed in that same location at that same time? Now remember that you don't want Sprint's speed, you only want a single metric.

PS: There is a comprehensive comparison of '3G' speeds for multiple cities list above, courtesy of me.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #51 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

By the way, the iPhone 4 uses the MDM6600 Gobi chipset. The MDM6600 is the only current Gobi chipset with CDMA support for mobile devices and it supports Rev. B, thus the iPhone 4S will support Rev. B. The only other CDMA-capable Gobi chipsets are the unreleased model with LTE (and Rev. B) support and the MDM1000 which is designed for notebooks. Whether the Rev. B network is deployed remains to be seen, but if it does the iPhone 4S will be ready along with the Evo 4G, Evo Shift, Evo 3D, Photon 4G.

Already mentioned that the MDM660 supports EV-DO Rev. B. Also mentioned Apple doesn't list EV-DO Rev. B on their iPhone spec sheet. Also mentioned that having Rev. B on the chipset doesn't mean the iPhone 4S will ever support Rev. B even if Sprint and Verizon upgrade their network.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #52 of 65
Couple real results from today, iphone 3GS, in middle of DC, outdoors from 12:40-13:15.

Download: 2.08 Mps
Upload 0.16 Mps
Ping 111 ms

Download: 1.23 Mps
Upload 0.05 Mps
Ping 189 ms

Download: 1.71 Mps
Upload 0.10 Mps
Ping 372 ms
post #53 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

Couple real results from today, iphone 3GS, in middle of DC, outdoors from 12:40-13:15.

Download: 2.08 Mps
Upload 0.16 Mps
Ping 111 ms

Download: 1.23 Mps
Upload 0.05 Mps
Ping 189 ms

Download: 1.71 Mps
Upload 0.10 Mps
Ping 372 ms

HSUPA will make a big difference in your user experience.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #54 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

HSUPA will make a big difference in your user experience.

Well, we already have HSUPA CAT 5 in the iphone 3gs and I am barely at 1/3 download capabilities of the supposed AT&T network for this device. How will Cat 10 of HSUPA make any difference given these lousy transmission speeds?
post #55 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

Well, we already have HSUPA CAT 5 in the iphone 3gs and I am barely at 1/3 download capabilities of the supposed AT&T network for this device. How will Cat 10 of HSUPA make any difference given these lousy transmission speeds?

The iPhone 3GS still only has 384Kbps upload rate. It wasn't until the iPhone 4 that HSUPA (Category 6) was introduced.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #56 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The iPhone 3GS still only has 384Kbps upload rate. It wasn't until the iPhone 4 that HSUPA (Category 6) was introduced.

Thanks, interesting. I am going to wait for some real world tests of the 4s across the various networks which should be out within a week or so.
post #57 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

Thanks, interesting. I am going to wait for some real world tests of the 4s across the various networks which should be out within a week or so.

I would expect about the same performance seen for the HTC Inspire earlier this year.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4304/a...ix-htc-inspire
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #58 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I would expect about the same performance seen for the HTC Inspire earlier this year.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4304/a...ix-htc-inspire

That's performance, but will it help make the AT&T service with the iphone more reliable -- stop dropping calls and endless data time outs?

What about this article which shows the signal receiving capabilities are stronger in the 3gs than in the 4?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/t...one-4-review/2

and here
http://allthingsd.com/20100728/what-...ut-new-iphone/
post #59 of 65
Too bad I'm dropping Sprint as they've pissed me off!

Also, Sprint has some EXPENSIVE surcharges.
post #60 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Sprint nor Verizon will be as fast as AT&T for 3G data...

It's about time you finally admit it. I'd congratulate for actually admitting you're wrong but I see it's a rouse to lead into your other fallacy.

Quote:
I rather have a little bit slower but steady and reliable than faster but erratic.

Show a me a steady reliable data stream with a MNO? It doesn't exist. They don't build out wireless networks that way, the number of users per tower and area very causing different congestion at different times, and since it's radio waves you can get interference. If you want steady and reliable data rates go ask your telco for dedicated frame relay.

Quote:
Every city is different and even within a city, some areas are better or worse depending on the carrier.

Making the point I originally made that you disagreed with. How trollish of you.

Quote:
I am just web surfing, facebook, Pandora, youtube, Sprint TV, and other typical things that work perfectly well at 1Mbps.

1Mbps down may be good enough for you but you might also think Top Raman is a quality meal. For me and many others neither of those are suitable.

Quote:
I guess I have a very bad opinion of AT&T from my own personal experience with so many dropped calls.

So now we get to the bottom of it. You are anti-AT&T, pro-Sprint fanboy. When did these carrier fanboys start to pop up? At any rate the iPhone on multiple carriers is really bring you goons out of the woodwork. Back to my original statement: If you make a lot of calls, send a lot of text, and don't care so much about fast data speeds then Sprint sounds like it would be a good option.

Quote:
Here is a test I just ran last night on Sprint. I don't expect Mr. AT&T to do the same since he seems preoccupied with theoretical maximums and national averages as opposed to his actual speeds. Even though he claimed to personally get 14.4Mbps and cited that as his reason to stay. Just don't buy into the hype about AT&T. No one will get anywhere close to 14.4Mbps on the iPhone 4S except with a Verizon or Sprint MiFi device or on WiFi.


1) For starters, you ran the test at 1:21am. That's suspicious. Try running one during a peak usage hour or at during the day.

2) As previously stated ad nauseum one person's up/down/latency at a particular moment in a particular spot means nothing to the overall network speed. Hence, I've posted an aggregate chart that did multiple tests all over the country. If you have a problem with their testing methods you need to bring it up with them instead of blaming me for Sprint coming in last.

3) I could show you results with 3907, 340, 2897 and 4349Kb/s downloads and 959, 1888, 1095, 1053kb/s uploads with latency between 200-300ms. These were just performed. Again, there is no point. You either act like an ass and say that I doctored the photos , or you act like a passive-aggressive fuck and make some comment about how I'm lucky and others aren't, or you act civil and say that those are pretty good speeds and you wish you had them where you live, but we since you think 1Mb/s is more than enough you won't.

4) When talking about the HW used by carriers and vendors you talk in terms in theoretical speeds. Phil Schiller did this in the keynote, but that's beside the point because you also talked in theoretical terms when claiming "EV-DO- Rev. B is faster than HSPA+" making your comments not only whiny but hypocritical.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #61 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Here is another Solip.



Where is your screenshot You claimed you were sticking to the carrier that would give you 14.4Mbps. If you are even getting a third that speed I would be shocked. Post your fabulous AT&T speeds.

And they offer the HW that can support it, along with T-Mobile who also has raised the bar with 21Mbps, Sprint and Verizon don't have any '3G' that can compare. Are you really that ignorant of the technology or are just trolling? You lost the argument. You said EV-DO Rev. B was faster than HSPA+ and you were proved wrong.

PS: Enjoy your slow speeds. I was just downloading tonight's Dexter from a newsgroup at 1.5Mbps tethering from my iPhone on an airplane. Of course, you'll claim that unless you can that data rate everywhere planes fly that it doesn't count, but I'm happy to be able to watch my stories when I got to my hotel.


edit: Since you seem to enjoy being a sadist I've decided to go out of my way to upload a screenshot to show you how much worse your EV-DO Rev. A is over a modern '3G' network. I've had faster speeds but these are from today at the Phoenix airport. I've had as much as 6Mbs downa dn 3Mbps up which is what is expected for 7.2Mbps/5.8Mbps HW. That's the way this stuff works. Thoerectical speeds are real world speeds. The 14.4 Mbps HW int the iPhone 4S will be even faster in areas that support it. Seriously! It can't be that hard to learn and I have trouble believing anyone can be as dense as you're acting.

Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #62 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And they offer the HW that can support it, along with T-Mobile who also has raised the bar with 21Mbps, Sprint and Verizon don't have any '3G' that can compare. Are you really that ignorant of the technology or are just trolling? You lost the argument. You said EV-DO Rev. B was faster than HSPA+ and you were proved wrong.

PS: Enjoy your slow speeds. I was just downloading tonight's Dexter from a newsgroup at 1.5Mbps tethering from my iPhone on an airplane. Of course, you'll claim that unless you can that data rate everywhere planes fly that it doesn't count, but I'm happy to be able to watch my stories when I got to my hotel.


Why do you defend AT&T so much? In most cities in the USA, people all complain about AT&T. In the non-urban areas AT&T does better, but in urban areas JD Power, Consumer Reports, etc all rank AT&T dead last in terms of drop calls and maintaining data connection. In fact, in some tests AT*T couldn't even finish because it kept dropping connection. So yes, in theory AT*T is faster, but it's only faster if you can keep the connection going... There is a reason people used to call Cingular - Suckular.
post #63 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

Why do you defend AT&T so much? In most cities in the USA, people all complain about AT&T. In the non-urban areas AT&T does better, but in urban areas JD Power, Consumer Reports, etc all rank AT&T dead last in terms of drop calls and maintaining data connection. In fact, in some tests AT*T couldn't even finish because it kept dropping connection. So yes, in theory AT*T is faster, but it's only faster if you can keep the connection going... There is a reason people used to call Cingular - Suckular.

I haven't defended a single carrier, ever. I have clearly stated the merits os all carriers and technologies along with their shortcomings. What I have defended is against asshats spreading FUD that EV-DO Rev. B is faster than HSPA+.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #64 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

You are so unbelievably FOS. I never said Rev. B was faster than HSPA+. You have a reading comprehension error and I explained that is a prior post. Wow, streaming Dexter to a phone. Am I supposed to be impressed? I was out having dinner with friends, then shot some pool and had a great time playing poker. You know, living life? Maybe you have seen people actually having fun while streaming videos on your super fast data speeds.

Look, it is obvious you are a loud mouth wanker that refuses to post an actual screen shot and wants to pretend you may one day, eventually, possibly get close to 14.4Mbps. And that is fine. I pay $50 a month for unlimited everything for the same damn phone. If it helps you sleep at night believing you are on the best network, then keep on believing it.

I know and many other people know how bad AT&T sucks for many people around the country. If you are in one of the few areas with excellent service, bully for you.

1) I have a reading comprehension problem when you think I was streaming Dexter to my phone. Your comments would be funny if they weren't so damn pathetic.

2) So you've lost your position so completely that you have no choice but to say I have to life because I was on a flight. Really?!

3) You love Sprint. No one has said you shouldn't be a carrier fanboy despite that being an odd position to take. I countered your FUD about Sprint and you got offended despite my repeated remarks about the various pros and cons of all carriers. You lost. I decimated you on an internet forum because I choose to be objective and called you out. You either need to move on and get over it or I'll continue to break you down because this loudmouth wanker is smarter than you, more focused and would love to make you cry.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #65 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Since you were at an airport I assumed you worked for the TSA. You seem to have that mentality.

The reason I took issue with you at all is you came to a Sprint thread and in your very first two posts made snide comments. There was absolutely no reason to do that. If you are not on Sprint, why would you even post in this thread? Oh that's right, you probably need to reach 30,000 posts by some arbitrary deadline you created for yourself.

I am not a carrier fan. Once again, in case you missed the other three times I said this, I think Verizon is the best network. I stay with Sprint because I pay $50 instead of about $115 for a similar plan with them. I must also be idiotic to you for wanting to downgrade to a 3G only phone when I have had far faster speeds with my current phones.

Since you seem to be so wealthy, why must you download shows illegally? Why aren't you buying episodes off of iTunes?

Lindsay Loco steals necklaces...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Sprint confirms unlimited data plans for iPhone subscribers