or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Real Racing 2 first iOS game with 4-person split big screen action via AirPlay
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Real Racing 2 first iOS game with 4-person split big screen action via AirPlay

post #1 of 41
Thread Starter 
Game developer Firemint has announced a new feature for the iOS 5 update to its "Real Racing 2" game that will offer the first 4-player split-screen iOS gaming experience on an HDTV by leveraging the computing power of Apple's A5 processor and AirPlay wireless streaming technology.

The Australian studio's "Real Racing 2" franchise will now support what the company is calling "Party Play" mode, which allows two to four friends to stream a game onto one big screen, rather than being tied to the displays of their individual handheld devices.

The new technology further blurs the lines between mobile and home entertainment. Apple's AirPlay, announced last September, first allowed mobile users to stream media content from their handheld devices to their home TV's, and Firemint's Party Play promises to do the same for multiplayer gaming. A demo video of Party Play (below) shows that the A5 processor is capable of split-screen modes much like those available on dedicated home gaming consoles.

There are caveats to the service, however, as at least one player must have a device with an A5 processor, either an iPad 2 or the new iPhone 4S. An A5-equipped device will then serve as the host for the game and friends with compatible iOS devices to connect to the host, who will then stream the game data via AirPlay to an HDTV with resolutions up to 720P.



The new mode requires only one device to have an A5 processor, but connecting handsets or tablets will need to have iOS 5 installed. In addition to Party Play, the new Real Racing 2 update features higher polygon counts for car models, and refreshed 3D graphics.

Version 1.12 of Real Racing 2 and Real Racing 2 HD will be released just in time for the iOS 5 roll-out, which is scheduled to take place on Oct. 12. In the meantime, both games are currently available for purchase in the App Store. The iPhone version (iTunes link) sells for $4.99, and the iPad version (iTunes Link) costs $6.99.

Firemint had previously announced that Real Racing 2 HD would be the first iOS game to allow console-style “wireless big screen gaming” by taking advantage of Apple’s AirPlay Mirroring functionality, a notable feature of iOS 5. Earlier this year, Apple revealed the AirPlay Mirroring feature of iOS 5, allowing iOS devices to use an Apple TV-connected screen to serve as an external display.
post #2 of 41
Awesome! I can't wait to play it. I'll be ordering two iPhone 4S' at midnight.
post #3 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Awesome! I can't wait to play it. I'll be ordering two iPhone 4S' at midnight.

I thought you could only preorder one iPhone at a time? I hear those who want two are preordering one with Apple and one with the carrier.
post #4 of 41
Anyway, can't wait to try this after iOS 5 comes out next Wednesday!
post #5 of 41
Nice improvement by RR2, however you need Airplay. RR2 is a great game, the best racing game on iTunes. But I wish they can provide more cars, especially I you reached the level to be "gifted" their fastest car, the McLaren F1 GTR. At this point, I haven't played RR2 as much, because there's nothing to play for.
post #6 of 41
Impressive. It just keeps getting better and better.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #7 of 41
The best racing game just got better. I can't wait!
post #8 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadrobbo View Post

The best racing game just got better. I can't wait!

I'm not in the mood for games. Maybe after the funeral.
post #9 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarofclay73 View Post

I thought you could only preorder one iPhone at a time? I hear those who want two are preordering one with Apple and one with the carrier.

My wife would disown me If I upgraded and didn't upgrade hers... And we're both eligible so it won't be a problem.
post #10 of 41
I can't wait to play games like that on my iPhone 4S. That is truely an awesome feature that they really didn't go into detail about at the keynote.
post #11 of 41
I bought this game months ago, and haven't really gotten to try it yet. Maybe I should. And with the new update, it'll look even better on the iPad 2 with the new, improved graphics.
post #12 of 41
The potential is pretty awesome, especially given the spoking support for legacy devices as long as there is an A5 hub. Glad to see an Aussie developer (Firemint) managing to punch above its weight.

I hope this is an avenue Apple will be very interested in exploring in the future. Apple TV would be a much more attractive option if they built in support for their own App store. The Wii U will probably underwhelm in the seamless connectivity department (and the tablet controller is not multitouch!!!). Apple could easily scoop up Nintendos share of the casual market.

A dedicated controller that merged the functionality of the xbox/playstation with tactile quality of the Gamecube controller would be very welcome too (but Ill believe it when I see it).
post #13 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporate View Post

I can't wait to play games like that on my iPhone 4S. That is truely an awesome feature that they really didn't go into detail about at the keynote.

Agreed. The graphics processing capabilities of the iPad 2 are excellent. Can't wait to have the A5 in my pocket.
post #14 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Agreed. The graphics processing capabilities of the iPad 2 are excellent. Can't wait to have the A5 in my pocket.

I'm curious to know if Siri Assistant will be on the iPad 2. If not then there decision not to include it with the iPhone 4 goes beyond the processing power in the device.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #15 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

The potential is pretty awesome, especially given the spoking support for legacy devices as long as there is an A5 hub. Glad to see an Aussie developer (Firemint) managing to punch above its weight.

I hope this is an avenue Apple will be very interested in exploring in the future. Apple TV would be a much more attractive option if they built in support for their own App store. The Wii U will probably underwhelm in the seamless connectivity department (and the tablet controller is not multitouch!!!). Apple could easily scoop up Nintendos share of the casual market.

A dedicated controller that merged the functionality of the xbox/playstation with tactile quality of the Gamecube controller would be very welcome too (but Ill believe it when I see it).

how about the apple tv 3 with a5 chip and app store and multitouch pad with gyroscope and accelerometer built in for 149 dollars? would it sell well?

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

Reply

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

Reply
post #16 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutykamu View Post

how about the apple tv 3 with a5 chip and app store and multitouch pad with gyroscope and accelerometer built in for 149 dollars? Would it sell well?

It would if Apple bought Nintendo.
post #17 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutykamu View Post

how about the apple tv 3 with a5 chip and app store and multitouch pad with gyroscope and accelerometer built in for 149 dollars? would it sell well?

How does a multitouch pad, gyroscope and accelerometer make sense for an appliance that sits next to your TV?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #18 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How does a multitouch pad, gyroscope and accelerometer make sense for an appliance that sits next to your TV?

to play games and use it as a keyboard i guess… you can't use iPad or iPhone or iPod all the time to use apple tv… anyways, it's just my guess nothing else.

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

Reply

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

Reply
post #19 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutykamu View Post

to play games and use it as a keyboard i guess you can't use iPad or iPhone or iPod all the time to use apple tv anyways, it's just my guess nothing else.

1) Why can't you use wireless controllers like the iPad, iPod Touch and iPhone just like all other consoles have.

2) Explain to me how you're going to hold the AppleTV in your hand while use it like a Nintendo Wii controller? It has at least a power cord and HDMI cable in it and no ergonomics for being a handheld device.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #20 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Why can't you use wireless controllers like the iPad, iPod Touch and iPhone just like all other consoles have.

2) Explain to me how you're going to hold the AppleTV in your hand while use it like a Nintendo Wii controller? It has at least a power cord and HDMI cable in it and no ergonomics for being a handheld device.

oh i think i didn't mention it clearly, i meant for wireless controller multitouch pad… ofcourse we can't use the appletv itself to play games or something…

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

Reply

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

Reply
post #21 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm curious to know if Siri Assistant will be on the iPad 2. If not then there decision not to include it with the iPhone 4 goes beyond the processing power in the device.

Wow! After reading a LOT of your posts I would have guessed you would have known it wouldn't be included until the iPad 3.

Not a jibe. I like your informative posts. Just figured you'd have thought more of this.

Personally, I think it will be exclusive to the new phone for a while...
post #22 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm curious to know if Siri Assistant will be on the iPad 2. If not then there decision not to include it with the iPhone 4 goes beyond the processing power in the device.

That's what I thought too, however everywhere points to an exclusive for iPhone 4GS only.no iPad 2. I think it's possibly the mic quality of the iPhone vs the iPad in addition to the A4 vs A5.
post #23 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

The Wii U will probably underwhelm in the seamless connectivity department (and the tablet controller is not multitouch!!!). Apple could easily scoop up Nintendos share of the casual market.

What leads you to believe it will underwhelm in the "seamless connectivity" when it has already demonstrated such, minus the lag of other similar hardware? And yes, it doesn't have multitouch. You know what the it does have? Actual controls.
post #24 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKol View Post

That's what I thought too, however everywhere points to an exclusive for iPhone 4GS only.no iPad 2. I think it's possibly the mic quality of the iPhone vs the iPad in addition to the A4 vs A5.

Do you really think it's a mic quality problem?\
post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKol View Post

That's what I thought too, however everywhere points to an exclusive for iPhone 4GS only.no iPad 2. I think it's possibly the mic quality of the iPhone vs the iPad in addition to the A4 vs A5.

Could be the mic but I've found that it works pretty well with the Target app that uses the Nuance engine. Since this implementation appears to least uses local processing (and perhaps also server-side processing) I wonder if there is a HW component dedicated specifically to this new technology.

Either way, in a couple weeks we get to see how effective and efficient Assistant is in action. I'm betting that's going to set the bar.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #26 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKol View Post

That's what I thought too, however everywhere points to an exclusive for iPhone 4GS only.no iPad 2. I think it's possibly the mic quality of the iPhone vs the iPad in addition to the A4 vs A5.

I'm sorry, you're right. The "mic" on the iPhone 4 is totally different than the 4S. The "mic" on both the iPad 2 and 1 are totally different... Maybe the "mic" on the 3GS is different too!

Really? Really?... you are the same people that argue that they will put the A5 in anything they can because it meets the scale of purchasing (economics).

Come on!

I have a new flash for you. Shhhhh! It's only for the initiated. The new Siri will only be for the iPhone 4S. Please describe why and well if I'm misinformed on this.

Please help me with this one guys!?
post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Could be the mic but I've found that it works pretty well with the Target app that uses the Nuance engine. Since this implementation appears to least uses local processing (and perhaps also server-side processing) I wonder if there is a HW component dedicated specifically to this new technology.

Either way, in a couple weeks we get to see how effective and efficient Assistant is in action. I'm betting that's going to set the bar.

Sol, in the words of one of the people I look up to. Tonight is not your finest hour.

Well respected if you're grieving!

Lots of love! Look forward to reading your posts!
post #28 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

Sol, in the words of one of the people I look up to. Tonight is not your finest hour.

Well respected if you're grieving!

Lots of love! Look forward to reading your posts!

I'm not understand your posts. I have no idea what I could have said that would make you think I'm grieving. It sounds like you think Siri Assistant has been artificially added to the iPhone 4S which is possible though Apple has done very little of this with their iOS-based devices but you haven't stated a direct argument as to why you don't think there can't be any HW specific to the iPhone 4S that makes it impossible for any other iDevice.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #29 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm not understand your posts. I have no idea what I could have said that would make you think I'm grieving. It sounds like you think Siri Assistant has been artificially added to the iPhone 4S which is possible though Apple has done very little of this with their iOS-based devices but you haven't stated a direct argument as to why you don't think there can't be any HW specific to the iPhone 4S that makes it impossible for any other iDevice.

Sol,

I love reading your posts.

I enjoy reading your wonderful, very educated posts. I have no qualm with you, but you're just not on your toes right now.

I hope to read a lot from you soon.

Sol, women don't have to make an argument. Why is this an argument? My personal opinion is that it's marketing only on the 4S, which I think I may have to buy...

I just re-read your question again. It may be hardware specific, as you say. But I don't think you'll see it until the next iPad.

"And now iPad 3 with SirI. You have to admit it really is the future.
post #30 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKol View Post

That's what I thought too, however everywhere points to an exclusive for iPhone 4GS only.no iPad 2. I think it's possibly the mic quality of the iPhone vs the iPad in addition to the A4 vs A5.

What are you talking about? The iPad 2 has the A5, and a mic that's greatly improved over the iPad 1. Is there any indication that the mic on the iPhone 4S is any different from the one on the iPad 2?
post #31 of 41
Next up, apps for the Apple TV and a real hardware controller made by Apple as an optional extra.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #32 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm curious to know if Siri Assistant will be on the iPad 2. If not then there decision not to include it with the iPhone 4 goes beyond the processing power in the device.

That was my first thought given the iPad 2 is already sporting the required hardware minus the phone. I would assume the Assistant software could easily be adapted to deal with the lack of the phone or perhaps it will be able to operate an authorized iPhone remotely!
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #33 of 41
I love this game. I just wish the app didn't ALWAYS crash on certain tracks

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

Reply
post #34 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Next up, apps for the Apple TV and a real hardware controller made by Apple as an optional extra.

They already make the controllers, they are called iPads, iPhones and iPod Touches.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

What are you talking about? The iPad 2 has the A5, and a mic that's greatly improved over the iPad 1. Is there any indication that the mic on the iPhone 4S is any different from the one on the iPad 2?

iPad vs iPhone I said.
Also, I also recall a reviewer stating that the AT&T mic was less sensitive than the VerIzon mic on iPad 2.

Regardless, we will all find out shortly. Processing Siri's response information to a larger screen may require an A6,7? Who knows.
post #36 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

It would if Apple bought Nintendo.

That would be a gigantic waste of money.

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply
post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Next up, apps for the Apple TV and a real hardware controller made by Apple as an optional extra.

I don't get why so many people ignore the fact that since Apple opened up software for custom accessories ANYBODY could just go in and create one with two shoulder buttons and two analogs (touch-sensitive or physical, whatever) that you can slap on an iPhone and play away.

With that the iPhone would lose any remaining barriers for AAA titles: you could play them on-the-go OR mirror it to your TV (if Apple TV's improved, it could even throw in some post-processing). No need for a console EVER again, especially since the PowerVR Series 6 GPUs will outperform the current gen of consoles. For instance, a 320M (found in last year's Macs) has 130 GFlops. It can do something like 85% of what an Xbox can do. Imagination tecnologies reports that the Series 6 can reach 210 GFlops.

Now we know what the "killer feature" of the iPhone 5 will be

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply
post #38 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


Either way, in a couple weeks we get to see how effective and efficient Assistant is in action. I'm betting that's going to set the bar.

I agree. At first I was skeptical but then I saw that 1987 YouTube Apple video Thursday night which spooked me. How prescient of SJ was that? I'm more excited for it as an iPad function though which is exactly where I think this going after watching the vid. The iPad and all IOS devices yet to come are all unstoppable now- thanks to SJ.
post #39 of 41
read it this morning and the first thing that came to my mind is that apple is after the game console industry over the next few years
post #40 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKol View Post

I agree. At first I was skeptical but then I saw that 1987 YouTube Apple video Thursday night which spooked me. How prescient of SJ was that? I'm more excited for it as an iPad function though which is exactly where I think this going after watching the vid. The iPad and all IOS devices yet to come are all unstoppable now- thanks to SJ.

That was one of Sculley's videos. He really did want to change the world too and not just sell sugar water.

Here's another couple you'll find interesting from around the same time period:

Kinect the dots with Siri...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcYrPkFe2J0

Ones from the 90s

Keynote > Powerpoint

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgZQhSESM-g

iPad, iMovie, wolfram alpha, iCloud...(title says 80s but it's 1995)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlfTDlgAl_A
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Real Racing 2 first iOS game with 4-person split big screen action via AirPlay
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Real Racing 2 first iOS game with 4-person split big screen action via AirPlay