or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › 7th-gen iPod nano teardown reveals new Apple processor, SanDisk flash
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

7th-gen iPod nano teardown reveals new Apple processor, SanDisk flash - Page 2

post #41 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You don't think that that not being a touchscreen might have something to do with it?

No, I don't.

post #42 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Price is not a feature.

Sure it is. What price isn't a technical specification.
feature |ˈfitʃər|
noun
a distinctive attribute or aspect of something:
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #43 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazKam View Post

No, I don't.


Good luck not hitting fewer than four keys at once.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #44 of 66
Since I was so utterly disappointed with the non-update of the iPod Touch, I'm considering getting a Nano and using some other device to access the internet while away from my home. It might be a Nook or Kindle.

The Nano to me was a step backwards compared to the one with the video camera. Small is OK but small for small's sake is stupid. The new Nano would make a great watch but I don't know how comfortable it would be to have it plugged in to headphones while walking along. The cable would be smacking my arm and body with each swing.
post #45 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Good luck not hitting fewer than four keys at once.

You're right, this shouldn't work at all...



Yes, I know the iPhone is much larger, I'm comparing the size of each "key" relative to the finger pressing... as if iOS doesn't have fantastic algorithms for "guessing" which key was the intended press. It's not infallible, but perfectly usable.

indeed.
post #46 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazKam View Post

iOS doesn't have fantastic algorithms for "guessing" which key was the intended press.

That doesn't exactly work when you're dealing with NUMBERS instead of a small subset of an order of characters.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #47 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That doesn't exactly work when you're dealing with NUMBERS instead of a small subset of an order of characters.

I'm not referring to it guessing the word, or even the letter, what's actually on the button is irrelevant to PROXIMITY. I'm referring to it guessing the KEY, based on WHERE the finger touches the screen relative to the buttons near where the finger touches.
post #48 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

The cable would be smacking my arm and body with each swing.

Isn't there some sort of wireless headphones somebody could use?
post #49 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazKam View Post

I'm not referring to it guessing the word, or even the letter, what's actually on the button is irrelevant to PROXIMITY. I'm referring to it guessing the KEY, based on WHERE the finger touches the screen relative to the buttons near where the finger touches.

I'm just wandering past, so forgive me for chiming in, but a calculator keypad on a 1" square screen is going to mean each number button is something like .25"x.20" or less, and that's with no spacing between keys. I can't see where you could possibly accurately hit an intended target that size with any consistency, and Apple's predictive algorithms aren't really going to be of much help, since they combine likely letter combos with target strike proximity. In the case of the Nano my misses are going to be likely to be pretty much 50/50 between keys, and there isn't any frequency info to fall back on. That's if the Nano could even run that level of software.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #50 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Isn't there some sort of wireless headphones somebody could use?

Not without BlueTooth, which I don't think the Nano has.
post #51 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I'm just wandering past, so forgive me for chiming in, but a calculator keypad on a 1" square screen is going to mean each number button is something like .25"x.20" or less, and that's with no spacing between keys. I can't see where you could possibly accurately hit an intended target that size with any consistency, and Apple's predictive algorithms aren't really going to be of much help, since they combine likely letter combos with target strike proximity. In the case of the Nano my misses are going to be likely to be pretty much 50/50 between keys, and there isn't any frequency info to fall back on. That's if the Nano could even run that level of software.

iOS paired with an excellent capacitive touch screen on the iPhone makes for a great experience but I can't imagine the Nano offering that level of precision.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #52 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazKam View Post

Not without BlueTooth, which I don't think the Nano has.

I did a quick search and I found that there are many bluetooth adaptors that some people are using with the iPod nanos successfully.

I found this sony adapter for around $50.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Bluetooth.../dp/B000XRW09Y
post #53 of 66
They have gotten it wrong. The update to the nano is SOFTWARE ONLY.

It is normal to find variations in what is used in a product. Vendors of components get changed all the time depending on who can build the fastest and at the cheapest price. The bottom line is that this IS NOT A 7TH GEN NANO. It is simply the 1.2 software update to the existing 6th Gen Nano.

You can take the first 6th Gen Nano ever built, run the 1.2 update and you will get EVERY SINGLE FEATURE listed in the keynote and on the Nano site at Apple.

The fitness dongle thing is simply a software change that allows the existing accelerometer inside the Nano to do the job of the dongle and shoe puck thing. No physical change to the Nano.

R
post #54 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Since I was so utterly disappointed with the non-update of the iPod Touch, I'm considering getting a Nano and using some other device to access the internet while away from my home. It might be a Nook or Kindle.

The Nano to me was a step backwards compared to the one with the video camera. Small is OK but small for small's sake is stupid. The new Nano would make a great watch but I don't know how comfortable it would be to have it plugged in to headphones while walking along. The cable would be smacking my arm and body with each swing.

I do use mine exclusively as a watch, and I do use it to listen to music. I use short cable Sony earbuds, that are just slightly too short, so I have a 5" extender attached, which makes it the perfect length. As such, the cable never ever gets in the way or bothers me in any way. I love it.
post #55 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I have the run feature and no receiver or transmitter...

I see it now.
post #56 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

The cable would be smacking my arm and body with each swing.

I have always clipped my headphone cords to my shirt with a small binder clip:

Example at Amazon

Works wonders, I never have cable flap nor do I ever get the cord caught on anything. There's enough space in the clip that it never pinches the cord either. Colors to match any device, a lifetime supply for a couple of bucks.
post #57 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelminion View Post

They have gotten it wrong. The update to the nano is SOFTWARE ONLY.

... It is simply the 1.2 software update to the existing 6th Gen Nano.

You can take the first 6th Gen Nano ever built, run the 1.2 update and you will get EVERY SINGLE FEATURE listed in the keynote and on the Nano site at Apple.

The fitness dongle thing is simply a software change that allows the existing accelerometer inside the Nano to do the job of the dongle and shoe puck thing. No physical change to the Nano.

R

I appreciate a succinct clarification that follows what seemed like an unending stream of poorly-expressed partial truths. But I would have stopped short of saying that the built-in accelerometer does the job of the shoe puck thing. My guess is that it comes close enough that the difference is not significant, but when running, the acceleration experienced by the arms and hands when they swing is probably not nearly as great as the acceleration experience by the foot. And the acceleration experienced by the hands when running is probably not any greater than when moving the hands around for purposes unrelated to running. If I were to guess, my guess would be that there isn't any significant difference, but a determined effort would be required to demonstrate that conclusively. I just don't think it is correct at this stage for everyone to accept at face value the claim from Apple that for the express purpose of doing what the Nike thing does, that the accelerometer in the Nano works every bit as well as the accelerometer in the Nike thing.
post #58 of 66
I wish I listened to more music. I'd love to have a reason to own one of these :-(
post #59 of 66
I went to apple to get my ipod nano today (Oct 8).
IT IS STILL THE 6TH-GEN NANO WITH OLD SOFTWARE.
I called the store and they told me to update the software on iTune.
And said there will be no 7th-gen ipod nano even later on this year.
Does it means that the hardware update listed here make no difference?
Or should I go back to return the nano I just got?
post #60 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post

IT IS STILL THE 6TH-GEN NANO WITH OLD SOFTWARE.

They generally don't get new products immediately, no.

Quote:
And said there will be no 7th-gen ipod nano even later on this year.

Of course not. They're not going to tell you things you don't know. And since we just got a hardware update, new ones wouldn't come out three months later.

Quote:
Does it means that the hardware update listed here make no difference?

Pretty much. I'm sure they're cheaper/more efficient/smaller or something.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #61 of 66
Don't know if Apple Insider staff read these forums, but I'd love to read a review of the nano that addresses the accuracy of the accelerometer, especially without the foot receiver gizmo as Apple says isn't needed now. I can't find any reviews about it. Anyone else?

They seem like they are targeting the nano now to the fitness crowd. I'm a new runner and have found my old 3GS iphone is quite inaccurate for pace and distance, using its GPS. The nano would be great, I'd have music, distance/pace and watch all in one. But if it isn't accurate I'll just use a shuffle and an actual watch, and not have a computer on my wrist getting rained on (the rains have started in the pacific northwest where i live). I don't want to buy a special sneaker.
post #62 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by svea View Post

Don't know if Apple Insider staff read these forums, but I'd love to read a review of the nano that addresses the accuracy of the accelerometer, especially without the foot receiver gizmo as Apple says isn't needed now. I can't find any reviews about it. Anyone else?

They seem like they are targeting the nano now to the fitness crowd. I'm a new runner and have found my old 3GS iphone is quite inaccurate for pace and distance, using its GPS. The nano would be great, I'd have music, distance/pace and watch all in one. But if it isn't accurate I'll just use a shuffle and an actual watch, and not have a computer on my wrist getting rained on (the rains have started in the pacific northwest where i live). I don't want to buy a special sneaker.

You don't have to buy the Nike+ shoes. You can use the shoe transmitter with any shoe.
post #63 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazKam View Post

You're right, this shouldn't work at all...



Yes, I know the iPhone is much larger, I'm comparing the size of each "key" relative to the finger pressing... as if iOS doesn't have fantastic algorithms for "guessing" which key was the intended press. It's not infallible, but perfectly usable.

indeed.

Don't worry about the haters. Some people act like if apple didn't think of it, then it can't work.

I agree with you 100% about adding third party apps and the calculator would be perfect. Why can't the numbers enlarge when you push and not enter a number until you let go. Similar to what that pic is. It would work fine.

Bluetooth built in to sync with iPhone/iPod touch would be cool- particularly if you could control an app on your 3G/wifi phone but use the nano to control it (looking at you pandora). If they could get wifi in there somehow itd even be easier. Pandora app, etc would be incredible. I know that's a long shot, but always possible in the future as technology gets cheaper, smaller, and smarter

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #64 of 66
I wish they would make a nano with a larger flash drive. I would buy one but I will have more than 16gig worth of songs in iTunes soon.
post #65 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser_soze View Post

I appreciate a succinct clarification that follows what seemed like an unending stream of poorly-expressed partial truths. But I would have stopped short of saying that the built-in accelerometer does the job of the shoe puck thing. My guess is that it comes close enough that the difference is not significant, but when running, the acceleration experienced by the arms and hands when they swing is probably not nearly as great as the acceleration experience by the foot. And the acceleration experienced by the hands when running is probably not any greater than when moving the hands around for purposes unrelated to running. If I were to guess, my guess would be that there isn't any significant difference, but a determined effort would be required to demonstrate that conclusively. I just don't think it is correct at this stage for everyone to accept at face value the claim from Apple that for the express purpose of doing what the Nike thing does, that the accelerometer in the Nano works every bit as well as the accelerometer in the Nike thing.

I have a Nano 6th gen and updated to the latest software and have ran with it without my Nike sensor & transmitter, since it was stated that it's not required anymore. I use it as a watch with my Lunatik Watch kit, which I wear alongside my Garmin Forerunner watch so I get back up pacing and interval alerts. I have to say that without the sensor & transmitter, the run pace is very inaccurate on the Nano and totally off from what I know my run pace is from being a long distance runner, and from what my Garmin tells me at the same time..I'm going back to plugging in my receiver & transmitter, or testing whether just wearing the transmitter on my shoe would improve the accuracy to avoid having to attach that big receiver again, which was an eyesore on my sleek looking lunatic red watch kit.
post #66 of 66
So I was really excited about the nano 7th gen, because it's true, there is no need for the Nike sensor any longer. So I went to a trail that has well marked distances, and my distance was way off! I ran a total of 3.7 miles, but the nano said 4.7! Oh well. I was wondering how would this work without having to calibrate first. I guess it doesn't. Hopefully they'll find a way to fix this soon :/
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › 7th-gen iPod nano teardown reveals new Apple processor, SanDisk flash