or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple initiates pre-orders for iPhone 4S

Apple initiates pre-orders for iPhone 4S - Page 5

post #161 of 246
Same here...it's really annoying

Spent 2 hours doing this and its telling me i have to wait till 5AM PST to call in and be on hold ??
post #162 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedys123 View Post

I think Apple just gave up period. It doesn't look like any of the iPhone preorders are working at all.

Probably trying to fix or address whatever they can while at the same time reducing load on servers. Pretty much all the screwups are in communicating with AT&T, though, like pretty much every year prior.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
post #163 of 246
Well, I guess that's enough of that, back to bed. I would have thought after 4 years AT&T and Apple could get this crap together. There's huge demand year after year and they're the second largest wireless carrier and second most valuable public company?
post #164 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneauds View Post

on att site i was upgrading a phone but got as far as window saying the unlimited data will be deleted. so i stopped. i don't want to lose the unlimited data. now what?

Same here. Funny how their updater shows the 4s but when you check from within the account you don't see it. I went as far as the "removed feature:data unlimited" - then i closed the page.". The good news: i still have my unlimited plan; the bad news : no 4s yet.
post #165 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

No unlocked iPhone 4S until November

Order through the UK store if you want an unlocked one.
post #166 of 246
I was just about to give up and figured I'd try once more... I finally at least got the reservation page, so I'm going to head back to bed and check on it here in a couple hours when I have to get up for work.

Good luck all.
post #167 of 246
I did the same thing as svnipp. Figured I'd try one last time and got this:

Your iPhone has been reserved.

Your reservation number is: xxxxxxxxxxxx

We will email you at ____ when it's time to complete your order.
At that time, you can link back to the Apple Store to confirm eligibility and your iPhone voice, data and messaging plans.
You can then place your order, and your new iPhone will be shipped to your door.
post #168 of 246
Just before 2 AM PDT (been at this since midnight) and Apple site came back up and instead of confirming my AT&T eligibility they had me log into iTunes and then notified me that I had reserved a phone (with a confirmation code) and advice that they would email me at a time I can confirm eligibility and select plans.

Seems like an unlimited plan is still available for my 3Gs upgrade, but not sure if that will include hotspot/tethering?

After dozens and dozens of attempts to complete the order (and getting all the way through the data plan at least once and part way through dozens of times) this seems to be the best that I can do tonight....
post #169 of 246
Finally got past the premier upgrade option

But it does not give me an option to keep my unlimited data or Text plan.

Lets hope this time I dont get cut off from hold like I have been 4 times now...up to 40 mins on this one

wow 2+ hours...I hate you ATT, but I actually talk and surf enough that it's worth it
post #170 of 246
whew ordered mine through at&t (can't believe that lol) my roommate on the other hand couldn't b/c of the premier plan crap... no idea what that is, i'm on a family plan so maybe that's the difference?
post #171 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneauds View Post

on att site i was upgrading a phone but got as far as window saying the unlimited data will be deleted. so i stopped. i don't want to lose the unlimited data. now what?

Unlimited data for iPhone 4 plan gets deleted, there's an option for unlimited iPhone 4S, it just swaps it out.. ATT checkout last year was similar, confusing as fcuk.
post #172 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-a-r View Post

Unlimited data for iPhone 4 plan gets deleted, there's an option for unlimited iPhone 4S, it just swaps it out.. ATT checkout last year was similar, confusing as fcuk.

What if you dont have this option? I just see regular and enterprise options for 200MB, 2GB, 4GB. Do you see unlimited listed with these?

(Im on a 3GS plan at the moment)
post #173 of 246
[IMG][/IMG]
post #174 of 246
Well, it finally worked out ... but all I have is a reservation number. So, I'm only half-way there, I guess.
post #175 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by rf9 View Post

You thought wrong. Go check some of the mobile phone blogs. Everyone is expecting record turnout on this upgrade. Yes, there are a lot of loud "poo-pooers" out there but that's a vocal minority. They can't keep us rabbid fanboys from upgrading.

Totally agree with you...plus...no system is perfect. Of course even if they tried to live up to the volume they expected, it was bound to have issues. I've been eligible for an upgrade since 1/4/11, and have the 3G....I didn't want to get the 4 since I assumed (like many others did) that the new iphone was going to come out in June/July.

I had issues with apple's website, gave up on att's but I had called att since 12am pst. I stayed on hold with att while making various attempts on apple's website. I got through with att and now I just have to wait for 10/14 for my new phone

Patience is KEY!!
post #176 of 246
The Apple Store kept timing out when it was checking with AT&T for eligibility, I kept retrying until Apple said it was temporarily unavailable, much like others have already reported.

I downloaded the Apple Store App and was able to purchase an AT&T 4S that way.

It might be worth a shot if you're still having trouble.

Only good if you already have an iPhone to run the app on, though.
post #177 of 246
Took a while for the Apple Store site to work, but I just completed my order. Can't wait.
post #178 of 246
Been waiting on the sidelines for so long for this one. Woohoo. Looking forward to trying Siri and the new camera.
post #179 of 246
Well, I got my pre-order in. I have a reservation number. From the explanation on the e-mail that I got, it explained that the reason they provided the reservation v/s the order number is because they couldn't verify my eligibility with AT&T. Once they have confirmed those with the information I had provided, they can continue processing the order. So, the issue is with carrier, not able to handle the load. Anyway, I gather that since I have a reservation number, there is a phone with my name on it. There is a 7 days been between now and official release so I am not worried. I have it shipped at home. So like with iPhone 4, maybe I might get the phone couple of days earlier.
post #180 of 246
Just ordered mine, 6:30am EST, white 4S, 64Gig, unlimited data, AT&T, delivery Oct 14th

no ordering issues

BOOYAH!

15' MPB Retina 768 SSD,8 core Mac Pro-64g-dual 30's13' MBA/2011 Mini, 2012 iMac SSD 4core i7,iPhone 4S/iPad 2 64 LTE/AppleTV 2

15' MPB Retina 768 SSD,8 core Mac Pro-64g-dual 30's13' MBA/2011 Mini, 2012 iMac SSD 4core i7,iPhone 4S/iPad 2 64 LTE/AppleTV 2

post #181 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodai View Post

Just ordered mine, 6:30am EST, white 4S, 64Gig, unlimited data, AT&T, delivery Oct 14th

no ordering issues

BOOYAH!

How did you order yours

I just finihsed mine...2+ hours on hold (several disconnects) I got through and put my order in keeping my unlimited data, free shipping (had to get him to manually do that)
post #182 of 246
The Apple Store UK isn't coping too well. I ended up placing three separate orders for two handsets, and although I have Order Numbers (they all say: We've received your order Dispatched: Ships by October 14th), I can't cancel the 3rd order.

I have not received any confirmation emails from Apple yet, which is a bit worrying.
post #183 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1swift View Post

How did you order yours

I just finihsed mine...2+ hours on hold (several disconnects) I got through and put my order in keeping my unlimited data, free shipping (had to get him to manually do that)

Online through www.apple.com

Absolutely no issues. It's not reserved, it's shipping. I just woke up, hit the link, entered my info, and it was done. Took maybe 5 minutes.

post #184 of 246
Doh!!

SO at 3am est was up for 90 mins trying to order and gave up when couldnt get through

Alarm goes off for work at 7, i try again... and get through ordering in 90 seconds!

still says oct 14 delivery
post #185 of 246
Gaysauce... I have to wait until November to buy and unlocked phone!
post #186 of 246
Reserved mine at 3:44am... Completed the order at 5:57am on the Apple website.
post #187 of 246
Finally got mine through about 4:45 am EST. Have the acknowledgment e-mail in hand. Going back to bed for awhile.
post #188 of 246
After wasting and hour and a half at 3am est, I was successful at 7am. Very smooth and update my 3Gs and my wife's 3G. Surprisingly I was able to keep my unlimited data plan.
-Toyin
-Toyin
post #189 of 246
After an hour of trying at 03-F-N-EARLY!! went back to bed and tried it again at 0630 on ATT with not problem. Confirmation email with reservation number already received. Cannot wait! Guess there were some volume problems!!
post #190 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by rf9 View Post

It's amazing how flaky a back end database for a store site can be in a situation like this.

So there was a short delay (less than an hour for most people) in ordering the phone, but you were able to order it. And for many of the people, the problem was on AT&T's side when Apple tried to verify.

If you want to see a screwed up database system, you should have tried to order an HP Touchpad. DAYS of the system not working, not responding, or when it did respond, messing things up. No way to check your order status for weeks. Daily updates saying that the order was expected to be delivered on that day - even though it had never shipped.

And the number of iPhones ordered was almost certainly far greater than the number of Touchpads ordered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

No unlocked iPhone 4S until November

Maybe you can explain what the big deal is about unlocked phones.

You're listed as being in the US, so you're dealing with the same carriers I am. It looks to me like if you order the phone unlocked, you still have to pay the carrier for service. And the service is no cheaper if you bring your own phone. So why would you pay full price for the phone and then still have to pay full price for the service?

Yes, I realize that there are a very few people who travel extensively internationally and the ability to buy a local SIM card might be useful, but I think you can do that even if you get a discounted phone from a US carrier. So what benefit is there to buying an unlocked phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

I thought no one was supposed to care about this upgrade. I thought it was supposed to be easy this time around since NO ONE considered this phone worthwhile.

Yep. I can't wait to see all the excuses from the phandroids and analysts on why this phone sells like hotcakes. For a 'meh' upgrade, I know a lot of people who are going to jump on it.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #191 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyzlmt View Post

Doh!!

SO at 3am est was up for 90 mins trying to order and gave up when couldnt get through

Alarm goes off for work at 7, i try again... and get through ordering in 90 seconds!

still says oct 14 delivery

Same story hear just glad I got it before the closed down preorders like the iP4.
post #192 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

Every year is the same story..online ordering fails

Apple Online Store Australia seemed alright here at 12.45am USA PST. I loaded up 2 white iPhone 4S 32GB... stared at the screen for a while.

Then, I didn't pull the trigger.

Another time, perhaps.
post #193 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Los View Post

Gaysauce... I have to wait until November to buy and unlocked phone!

That's messed up yo.
post #194 of 246
Well... It took me about 90 minutes or so to get my reservation order in this morning, but here just a few minutes ago when I got back up I had an e-mail from Apple to complete my order. Thankfully that only took me 5 minutes so I'm good to go and quite happy about it.
post #195 of 246
Finally got my iPhones ordered through Apple. Just couldn't get it done through AT&T. Apple's ordering process, when it finally worked, was so much better than AT&T's.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
post #196 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

I thought no one was supposed to care about this upgrade. I thought it was supposed to be easy this time around since NO ONE considered this phone worthwhile.

Cognitive Distortion: How Does Black-and-White Thinking Hurt Us?

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archive...nking-hurt-us/
post #197 of 246
Apple.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub52MOsox View Post

ATT seems ready..but I'm not sure whether to pull the trigger there or Apple.com.
post #198 of 246
An ordering process on Apple's website this morning that was as smooth as my morning cuppa! 5 minutes.

Mmmmm. 64/W/ATT, says will arrive October 14.
post #199 of 246
Only tried apple website, starting at 3:22am eastern time. After lots of time and frustration, I finally got the 'reservation' at 5am eastern. Later email from apple to 'complete order' while I was sleeping. Completed the order from apple's email at 8am.

Not as smooth as I would have liked (3:22am to 5am) but not too bad. Apple ships it to my door next Friday, all I have to do is turn it on & go through a few on screen steps.
post #200 of 246
I was able to order mine at 6:15 this morning EST. I expected issues but it was a seemless no hiccup process through Apple's site.

Went with the black 32G 4s on Verizon. Received my order confirmation within 10 minutes.

Looking forward to ditching my Moto Droid.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple initiates pre-orders for iPhone 4S