or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Admin abuse - Please Clear this up.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Admin abuse - Please Clear this up.

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
I suggest that whoever it was that changed my signature without my knowledge or consent be permanently removed as an admin from this site. This is a serious breach of trust, and it is not funny. I will not let this rest until the guilty party admits their act and is no longer a moderator or admin on this site.
post #2 of 35
Well… what was it and to what was it changed?

I had mine changed on me many moons ago on MacRumors. Didn't throw me into a tizzy. Granted, it was only a formatting change…
post #3 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well… what was it and to what was it changed?

I had mine changed on me many moons ago on MacRumors. Didn't throw me into a tizzy. Granted, it was only a formatting change…

They changed it to a personal insult against me. If they didn't like what I put, if it was against the posting rules, then they could have removed it, given me an infraction and let me know why.

Instead they changed it to a personal insult against myself without any sort of notice. This is a biased and unacceptable breach of trust. Even when Groverat was a mod, he wouldn't have done that, because he had some integrity.

Now it seems like whoever did it is too chickenshit to admit it. What a puny excuse for a human being.
post #4 of 35
Thread Starter 
Lundy is ignoring my private messages on the topic, so I'm going to assume he is responsible. Lundy, if you were the one to change my signature to an insult, please explain why you did this. I will accept a public apology on this thread. If it was in fact you, and if you had an issue with my signature the way I wrote it, why didn't you give me an infraction and remove it? That would have been acceptable. Instead you made an ass of yourself and breached the trust of the members on this board as being a fair and impartial moderator.
post #5 of 35
I'm curious about this as well, and it does seem like a breach of basic decorum, at least.

I still remember the odd incident wherein one member was apparently provided with PMs between other members, which he quoted and used to fuel conspiracy theories. Lundy was the moderator of that forum, and while I would hate to think a mod would do something as outrageous as selectively share PMs with a forum member (for whatever reasons), I've never been able to figure out how else that could have gone down. Disturbing, if true.

Hopefully, talking about this doesn't lead to reprisals, and if there's another explanation for the incident I'm talking about I'd be relieved to hear it.

But Tonton's issue looks to be real and current, so I'd certainly like to hear an explanation for that. Tonton-- do you feel comfortable sharing what the sig was changed to?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #6 of 35
Petty shit like this is why I don't post here anymore.

-sj
post #7 of 35
tonton, why are you getting defencive abotu a signature?
Either way, the mod did his job, he wouldn't have had to tell you... You agreed to the term and conditions to this forums when you signed up, therefor yous hould know the terms to what you can do on here.

Next time, you put a silly thing in your signature, dont be silly about it.
post #8 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Cash View Post

tonton, why are you getting defencive abotu a signature?
Either way, the mod did his job, he wouldn't have had to tell you... You agreed to the term and conditions to this forums when you signed up, therefor yous hould know the terms to what you can do on here.

Next time, you put a silly thing in your signature, dont be silly about it.

WTF are you talking about? The mod/admin definitely wasn't doing his job when he changed my signature to an insult. If he didn't like my sig, if it was against the rules of the board (which I don't believe it was), if he were doing his job, he would have removed it, and given me an infraction. That's his job. And who the hell are you, anyway?
post #9 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by esef_ View Post

Petty shit like this is why I don't post here anymore.

-sj

You've never posted here at all
post #10 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You've never posted here at all

Oh, really?
post #11 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I'm curious about this as well, and it does seem like a breach of basic decorum, at least.

I still remember the odd incident wherein one member was apparently provided with PMs between other members, which he quoted and used to fuel conspiracy theories. Lundy was the moderator of that forum, and while I would hate to think a mod would do something as outrageous as selectively share PMs with a forum member (for whatever reasons), I've never been able to figure out how else that could have gone down. Disturbing, if true.

Hopefully, talking about this doesn't lead to reprisals, and if there's another explanation for the incident I'm talking about I'd be relieved to hear it.

But Tonton's issue looks to be real and current, so I'd certainly like to hear an explanation for that. Tonton-- do you feel comfortable sharing what the sig was changed to?

In my signature, I snarkily criticized the amount of factual info offered by a few of the board's more vociferous but least informed members, but it was changed, without my knowledge or consent to this:



It was honestly a humorous change, and had it been posted as a comment in a thread, I wouldn't have had a problem with it. But this asshole mod thought it was "okay" to go into my account and modify my private signature instead of doing what was proper, and allowed under the rules of the board. News flash: That's not okay.

What if I were a mod, and I went into Trumptman's profile and made his signature, "Trumpeters do it by blowing." Imagine if he didn't notice it for say a week, and we were all busy laughing at him.

Seriously, can regular moderators actually do this, or do you have to be an Admin to do it?

At this point, still seeing no response from Lundy, I'm 90% sure it was him, and if Admin access is required, then that would be 99%.

Lundy, why don't you just come on this thread and either apologize, or deny it was you?
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

In my signature, I snarkily criticized the amount of factual info offered by a few of the board's more vociferous but least informed members

Ah, here's the question: Did you name usernames or did you define in (more eloquent) words "the board's most vociferous yet least informed members"?

Because I can't imagine the former being allowed. That doesn't make your complaint any less relevant, however, as there's no call for stealth edits without properly contacting the user, but it would give an explanation for why it happened.
post #13 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, here's the question: Did you name usernames or did you define in (more eloquent) words "the board's most vociferous yet least informed members"?

Because I can't imagine the former being allowed. That doesn't make your complaint any less relevant, however, as there's no call for stealth edits without properly contacting the user, but it would give an explanation for why it happened.

Named names. And I agree with you. If it was against forum rules, then it should have been deleted and I should have received an infraction. That's the only acceptable moderator act, other than trying to clear it up through communication (e.g. sending me a PM asking me to change it myself).
post #14 of 35
Almost hate to mention it, but Tonton is one of the more liberal posters in what has come to be a right leaning Political Outsider-- that after a series of seemingly proactive bans. I would hate to think a member was singled out for abuse because of political leanings, because that would be even more outrageous.

I wonder if anyone on the mod side is ever going to bother addressing any of this.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Seriously, can regular moderators actually do this, or do you have to be an Admin to do it?

At this point, still seeing no response from Lundy, I'm 90% sure it was him, and if Admin access is required, then that would be 99%.

Mods can change signatures too. Also, Lundy doesn't usually reply to PMs so I wouldn't automatically assume he's responsible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox

I wonder if anyone on the mod side is ever going to bother addressing any of this.

If one of the mods/admins feels they were the target of the offending signature, changing the signature for the opposite effect seems fair.

Anyway, the admins make the final decisions - it's their forum - the best course of action would be to not make them the butt of any jokes in the first place (even if it was indirectly). Everyone is here to have fun and while people will have differing opinions on what that means, there's no sense in getting all bothered about it. If the admins felt like it, they could shut down the entire forum on a whim so changing a signature in jest is a relatively minor thing to do.
post #16 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If one of the mods/admins feels they were the target of the offending signature, changing the signature for the opposite effect seems fair.

Ahh!... the old "two wrongs make a right" thing! Such integrity!... why have mods at all if that's the standard they're held to?
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
post #17 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Mods can change signatures too. Also, Lundy doesn't usually reply to PMs so I wouldn't automatically assume he's responsible.



If one of the mods/admins feels they were the target of the offending signature, changing the signature for the opposite effect seems fair.

Anyway, the admins make the final decisions - it's their forum - the best course of action would be to not make them the butt of any jokes in the first place (even if it was indirectly). Everyone is here to have fun and while people will have differing opinions on what that means, there's no sense in getting all bothered about it. If the admins felt like it, they could shut down the entire forum on a whim so changing a signature in jest is a relatively minor thing to do.

None of the mods were targets, and KOSH is absolutely right. Two wrongs don't make a right. There is a clear and acceptable mechanism if the mod found the sig offensive.
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Ahh!... the old "two wrongs make a right" thing! Such integrity!... why have mods at all if that's the standard they're held to?

There would have been two options: issue an infraction and delete the signature or modify the signature to poke fun. I'd say the latter is a less harsh punishment.

Signatures aren't meant for expressing opinions that some might find inflammatory, they are supposed to be used to give yourself an identity. If someone uses their signature for the wrong reasons, they may not realise the effect of it until they are the target of it themselves.

I disagree entirely that two wrongs don't make a right because you can call any kind of punishment a wrong and imply that no form of punishment should ever be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton

None of the mods were targets

Well one of the mods or admins must have thought it was an inappropriate statement otherwise they wouldn't have changed it. It's generally not a good idea to call out other users by name in your signature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton

There is a clear and acceptable mechanism if the mod found the sig offensive.

Sure but the problem with clear and acceptable rules is that people play to them. Some members who have been here long enough have become quite adept in expressing the most vitriolic posts just shy of making 'ad homs', just so that they don't technically break the rules.

The admins put the original rules in place and they know that black and white rules simply don't work for organisms as complex as humans so they also have the carte blanche rule, which states that it's their forum and:

"The owners of AppleInsider reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason."

That includes signatures. You obviously changed it back as soon as you saw it so you only had to suffer it for about 10 seconds. Whenever something like this happens, the forum is always alluded to as something like 'lunatics running the asylum' but in reality, it's a pretty fairly run forum as far as internet forums go and there's a good balance between freedom and regulation.
post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

There would have been two options: issue an infraction and delete the signature or modify the signature to poke fun. I'd say the latter is a less harsh punishment.

Leaving it blank would have made sense. But everyone else that saw (your?) replacement would assume that tonton put it there... You would be, in effect, telling the world he said something, when in fact, he did not. A form of slander, if I'm not mistaken.

Better to just admit it was handled poorly than to try to make excuses.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Leaving it blank would have made sense. But everyone else that saw (your?) replacement would assume that tonton put it there.

I assume Tonton put the latest one there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Better to just admit it was handled poorly than to try to make excuses.

If the course of action that was taken has the desired outcome, I don't believe it was handled poorly.
post #21 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

There would have been two options: issue an infraction and delete the signature or modify the signature to poke fun. I'd say the latter is a less harsh punishment.

Signatures aren't meant for expressing opinions that some might find inflammatory, they are supposed to be used to give yourself an identity. If someone uses their signature for the wrong reasons, they may not realise the effect of it until they are the target of it themselves.

I disagree entirely that two wrongs don't make a right because you can call any kind of punishment a wrong and imply that no form of punishment should ever be used.



Well one of the mods or admins must have thought it was an inappropriate statement otherwise they wouldn't have changed it. It's generally not a good idea to call out other users by name in your signature.



Sure but the problem with clear and acceptable rules is that people play to them. Some members who have been here long enough have become quite adept in expressing the most vitriolic posts just shy of making 'ad homs', just so that they don't technically break the rules.

The admins put the original rules in place and they know that black and white rules simply don't work for organisms as complex as humans so they also have the carte blanche rule, which states that it's their forum and:

"The owners of AppleInsider reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason."

That includes signatures. You obviously changed it back as soon as you saw it so you only had to suffer it for about 10 seconds. Whenever something like this happens, the forum is always alluded to as something like 'lunatics running the asylum' but in reality, it's a pretty fairly run forum as far as internet forums go and there's a good balance between freedom and regulation.

Thank you for response, and I wholeheartedly disagree with you. I think you need to take an ethics class or something. Clearly, "poking fun" is a much harsher "punishment".

You are an admin. We expect individual members to poke fun, or even admins in the proper context. What we don't expect is biased abuse.

Next time, give the infraction and do your job.
post #22 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I assume Tonton put the latest one there.



If the course of action that was taken has the desired outcome, I don't believe it was handled poorly.

I don't think this thread is what your desired outcome was. Congratulations.
post #23 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Leaving it blank would have made sense. But everyone else that saw (your?) replacement would assume that tonton put it there... You would be, in effect, telling the world he said something, when in fact, he did not. A form of slander, if I'm not mistaken.

Better to just admit it was handled poorly than to try to make excuses.

This is 100% how I felt when I saw the abuse.
post #24 of 35
Could we at least know which mod it was that changed Tonton's signature?

It might help, perhaps, to clarify a number of issues.
post #25 of 35
It seems obvious to me that the moderation on these boards is not what it should be or could be. Crude and foul-mouthed personal insults are allowed to ride (sometimes even when reported) but myself I can report having been issued an infraction for telling someone that they didn't know what they were talking about. This kind of inconsistency in enforcement, deliberate or otherwise, simply does not function. The mods should be noticing that the AI boards are turning into not a lot more than a political debate between Apple product owners. Is that what they really want?

The fine art of moderation. There's no perfect way for sure -- but clearly it could be a lot better.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

What we don't expect is biased abuse.

Should the people you mentioned in your signature expect biased abuse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Next time, give the infraction and do your job.

This is what I was saying before. You've been here long enough and you obviously don't have much respect for the infraction system if you consider it a lesser punishment than changing your signature so you can understand why an alternate course of action was taken.

An infraction would have had no effect on your future posting. The fact you made this thread suggests that the course of action taken will. If mods/admins choose to abide by an ineffective system of rules then the users have more control than they do - this sort of thing is evident in systems of law all over the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton

I don't think this thread is what your desired outcome was. Congratulations.

Your desired outcome seems to have been to identify who was responsible. I have no desired outcome. I'm just stating why the course of action taken may have been taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss

It seems obvious to me that the moderation on these boards is not what it should be or could be. Crude and foul-mouthed personal insults are allowed to ride (sometimes even when reported) but myself I can report having been issued an infraction for telling someone that they didn't know what they were talking about. This kind of inconsistency in enforcement, deliberate or otherwise, simply does not function. The mods should be noticing that the AI boards are turning into not a lot more than a political debate between Apple product owners. Is that what they really want?

The fine art of moderation. There's no perfect way for sure -- but clearly it could be a lot better.

Mostly personal insults that ride are because they aren't noticed - sometimes one party pushes another to the point of delivering a personal attack in which case both are responsible. Some people actually deliberately irritate other users to the point that they make an ad hom and then they report them. That's why black and white rules don't always work and it then relies on personal judgement, which can seem inconsistent in different situations.

The way to know a forum is out of hand is if the number of abuse reports is excessive or the discussions constantly descend to the point where threads are regularly locked down or there is excessively bad language and ad homs in every post. I don't think this is the case here.
post #27 of 35
Marvin, was it you that altered Tonton's sig?
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Mostly personal insults that ride are because they aren't noticed - sometimes one party pushes another to the point of delivering a personal attack in which case both are responsible. Some people actually deliberately irritate other users to the point that they make an ad hom and then they report them. That's why black and white rules don't always work and it then relies on personal judgement, which can seem inconsistent in different situations.

The way to know a forum is out of hand is if the number of abuse reports is excessive or the discussions constantly descend to the point where threads are regularly locked down or there is excessively bad language and ad homs in every post. I don't think this is the case here.

I respectfully disagree, quite completely, with both of these assertions.

In the first case, you are giving free license to anyone who doesn't agree with someone to attack them personally. Their only required excuse apparently is that they've run out of legitimate arguments. I realize that facing someone with a legitimate argument unarmed with one yourself can be irritating, but that's entirely the fault of the person who is blowing smoke. So if letting personal attacks ride under these circumstances really is the moderation policy here, then it is completely the opposite of how it should be.

On the second point, the quantity of complaints on a board can be driven down by uneven moderation. If it becomes an exercise in futility to report violators then the members will give up reporting them. I don't report many of the violations I see because I've learned that it's rarely worth the effort, and I suspect others have absorbed that lesson as well. You also cater to people who get their jollies from random bludgeoning matches, and tend to drive away people who'd rather discuss issues.

Finally, I've seen the signal to noise ration decline substantially here over the past year or so. Sometimes the active threads are more about politics than other topics. For a board that's ostensibly about Apple, this can't be seen as a healthy trend.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

Marvin, was it you that altered Tonton's sig?

Nope, I would have gone the infraction route and blanked the signature. As I say though, the person who changed it obviously made the decision to use a more effective method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss

In the first case, you are giving free license to anyone who doesn't agree with someone to attack them personally. Their only required excuse apparently is that they've run out of legitimate arguments.

It's not a rule, I'm just saying there are exceptions to the rules and it's not always just running out of arguments, it's running out of insults that don't technically break the rules. People shouldn't be abusive or insulting at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss

On the second point, the quantity of complaints on a board can be driven down by uneven moderation.

Yeah that seems the most likely explanation.
post #30 of 35
I was specifically named in and/or the target of at least one of tonton's signatures.

That said, I agree that what the admin/mod did was wrong.

Removing the signature due to it being against forum rules is one thing, but replacing it with a personal insult is another entirely, and obviously against the forum rules the admin/mod is supposed to be enforcing.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #31 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It's not a rule, I'm just saying there are exceptions to the rules and it's not always just running out of arguments, it's running out of insults that don't technically break the rules. People shouldn't be abusive or insulting at all.

I agree that nobody should abusive or insulting. It's the exceptions to that rule that I don't follow. The fact is, some posters on this board are serial insulters and abusers. If they were getting sanctioned, or even having their posts edited to remove the offense, we'd see less of it. I know from experience on boards where this kind of thing simply is not allowed that the incidence of it is minimized.

Quote:
Yeah that seems the most likely explanation.

I didn't say that. Perhaps if you could respond to what I actually said, a more productive discussion could be had. The added sarcasm suggests that you don't take this issue seriously, which kind of goes to my point.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #32 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I was specifically named in and/or the target of at least one of tonton's signatures.

That said, I agree that what the admin/mod did was wrong.

Removing the signature due to it being against forum rules is one thing, but replacing it with a personal insult is another entirely, and obviously against the forum rules the admin/mod is supposed to be enforcing.

Well, exactly.

Personal insults are unacceptable!

So I'm going to remove your sig! And replace it with a personal insult!

And by the way, I don't like your politics!

Yeah, it's basically indefensible.
post #33 of 35
I just saw all of this. I love how I'm somehow involved even when I haven't typed a word or taken an action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I suggest that whoever it was that changed my signature without my knowledge or consent be permanently removed as an admin from this site. This is a serious breach of trust, and it is not funny. I will not let this rest until the guilty party admits their act and is no longer a moderator or admin on this site.

tonton, you literally clarify why this course of action was the right one to take. You are going to suggest, but then not let it rest until your "suggestion" is acted upon in the manner you desire.

That's called a demand my friend. Smart as you may think you are, exactly who do you think you are fooling here? Screaming that no one will meet your demands while also screaming they won't treat you as you demand when you abuse other forum members borders is really, well let's just say a little humor is the most polite way one could treat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I still remember the odd incident wherein one member was apparently provided with PMs between other members, which he quoted and used to fuel conspiracy theories. ......... I've never been able to figure out how else that could have gone down. Disturbing, if true.

This is called an accusation. The fact that you were never able to figure out how it went down is rather strange because I, as in I the person being the one member you are talking about, clearly explained how it happened. I stated quite plainly that your little circle wasn't quite as in agreement as you imagined and people within the group simply shared the PM's. I stated it then. I'll state it now. You simply choose not to believe what was said. It means you refuse to believe anyone in the circle of agreement really wasn't in full agreement with said actions and thus divulged them.

Multiple parties did divulge them and none of them were moderators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esef_ View Post

Petty shit like this is why I don't post here anymore.

-sj

No, the reason you don't post here anymore is because you don't like your own medicine. Either come back and activate your account or do as you claimed and go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

In my signature, I snarkily criticized the amount of factual info offered by a few of the board's more vociferous but least informed members, but it was changed, without my knowledge or consent to this:

It's almost like someone who claims they are so intelligent doesn't understand this is a doubling down on the prior personal attack. Again, seriously, who do you think you are fooling with this?

Quote:
It was honestly a humorous change, and had it been posted as a comment in a thread, I wouldn't have had a problem with it. But this asshole mod thought it was "okay" to go into my account and modify my private signature instead of doing what was proper, and allowed under the rules of the board. News flash: That's not okay.

So do what is proper and then stop complaining. Change your sig to something like, "I was a complete asshole and I still think I'm fooling everyone while doubling down on being an asshole and so I've decided to self-ban myself for ten days." Go away, come back and then be nicer. At a minimum realize that when you are poking people with a large stick and you get poked back a little bit, running and grabbing a bat isn't going to fix the problem.

Quote:
What if I were a mod, and I went into Trumptman's profile and made his signature, "Trumpeters do it by blowing." Imagine if he didn't notice it for say a week, and we were all busy laughing at him.

If a mod did that, I would never lose it the way you are doing here. It is why every time you guys go nuts on the administration, you end up at the losing end of every rule you ask to have enforced. It's a bit scary to think that you cannot honestly see this.

First I'd rather do it by blowing than do it by sucking! You can laugh all you want at me. If you really want fix the problem buy a clear sticker and run it through your printer with the following message:

I should never worry about people laughing at me on an internet forum. Instead, I should realize two important things. One, that posting on an internet forum is itself, a completely laughable offense in the real world and two, that posting on an internet forums where we obsess about every piece of minutia be it the weight and size of the latest iPhone battery or a quote from a county precinct chairperson, is a nice outlet that probably makes us all a lot more manageable (and thus less laughable) in real life.

Take this message and stick it to your bathroom mirror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Named names. And I agree with you. If it was against forum rules, then it should have been deleted and I should have received an infraction. That's the only acceptable moderator act, other than trying to clear it up through communication (e.g. sending me a PM asking me to change it myself).

If it was against forum rules....?!?!? There's been a time where personally insulting multiple forum members in your sig was acceptable?

What if the mod didn't think it was only worthy of a single point infraction? What if they thought you deserved a three day ban, a 10 day ban, a lifetime ban? Instead here you are still posting away and doubling down on the bad behavior. There's no acceptable or not acceptable. The forums are private property. Good, bad or indifferent, take them as they are or go find one of a thousand other places on the internet that are exactly the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Almost hate to mention it, but Tonton is one of the more liberal posters in what has come to be a right leaning Political Outsider-- that after a series of seemingly proactive bans. I would hate to think a member was singled out for abuse because of political leanings, because that would be even more outrageous.

I wonder if anyone on the mod side is ever going to bother addressing any of this.

PO isn't just right leaning. The world is becoming more right leaning. The polls are all becoming more right leaning. Each person who was banned clearly went off the deep end and did so plainly and clearly. While I've declared I don't like permanent bans, they aren't my forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Thank you for response, and I wholeheartedly disagree with you. I think you need to take an ethics class or something. Clearly, "poking fun" is a much harsher "punishment".

You are an admin. We expect individual members to poke fun, or even admins in the proper context. What we don't expect is biased abuse.

Next time, give the infraction and do your job.

You insult people while issuing demands instead of requests and claim that it is actually you who has the proper perspective. WOW!

That was humor right?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #34 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

This is what I was saying before. You've been here long enough and you obviously don't have much respect for the infraction system if you consider it a lesser punishment than changing your signature so you can understand why an alternate course of action was taken.

two points:

1) The infraction system may not be taken seriously because serial trollers made a mess of the forums despite infractions, bans, what have you. It seems to be somewhat better now. But honestly I insta-ignore a lot of folks now so I don't really know.

2) The infraction system is more fair than arbitrary actions by mods. One is rules in action. The other is a betrayal of trust. A 3 day ban or 10 day ban is better and yes, lesser punishment. Not because the outcome is lesser but because the rule of law vs I gots MODPOWER prevails.

[personal attack removed]

If Lundy did this it's probably because he tired of watching you guys epically failing year after year. Besides, what are you going to do if your demands aren't met Tonton? Leave? No one else will and even if everyone that posts in PO did no one would care. There would probably be rejoicing. So it's pointless to demand the admin or mod step down. If they do it'll be because they are bone tired of all the stupidity, not because of anything said in this thread.

Besides, I get my facts from Snapple caps is funny.
post #35 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I agree that nobody should abusive or insulting. It's the exceptions to that rule that I don't follow. The fact is, some posters on this board are serial insulters and abusers. If they were getting sanctioned, or even having their posts edited to remove the offense, we'd see less of it.

I always give infractions to posters of reported "insult" posts and remove the insult, once I have verified that the post does indeed contain a genuine insult. Can you link to any posts that you've reported but have apparently had no action taken?
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feedback
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Admin abuse - Please Clear this up.