or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › replacing Cube DVD-ROM

replacing Cube DVD-ROM

post #1 of 7
My Cube DVD-ROM was dead today, I didn't purchase Applecare for the extended warrant, so the options left for me are either to go to the local applestore with my pocket full of money, or I might replace the DVD-ROM all by myself. I would like to go the later option.

I would like to ask if there anyone had ever replace the Cube DVD-ROM? and which 3rd party DVR-ROM is compatible with Cube, if possible, is there any compatible DVD/CD-RW combo drive for Cube/MacOS X 10.1.3?
post #2 of 7
The cube features a slot loading drives, so youre limited to those.

I guess the best thing to do is to open it up, look at the specs of the drive, (model and vendor) and then go to a pc shop and ask if they can order the drive for you.

Alternatively, contact refurbishing firms/ local pc assembly firms and/or repair shops to see if they can get that drive for you.

I dont know which drive the cube sports : a desktop-esque size or portable size drive. If its standard desktop size Your chance of finding a compatible part might increase considerably.

If your thinking about adding an alternative drive, the big problem is the size. Technologywise every DVD-ROM player works with the ATA controllers found on today macs.
post #3 of 7
Thanks for your informations iks_iv, I think that trying to replace the internal cube DVD-ROM by myself won't work since I did some search for the slim, slot-loading DVD-ROM earlier today and found it was nothing like that in the market.
And suddenly I realize why Apple stopped developing cube, too expensive for these particular parts.
post #4 of 7
I compiled this list some time ago. Search with Google for the specific model number. I'm sure you'll find a vendor.

Vendor\tModel\tUsually found in:
Hitachi\tGD-3000\tPowerMac G4
Hitachi\tGD-7000\tPowerMac G4
LG (GoldStar)\tDRN-8080B\tPowerBook G3
Matsushita\tLF-D110\tPowerMac G4
Matsushita\tLF-D211A\tPowerMac G4
Matsushita\tSR-8174\tPowerBook G3
Matsushita\tSR-8176\tiBook 2001 (DVD-ROM)
Matsushita\tSR-8184\tiMac DV
Matsushita\tSR-8186\tG4 Cube
Matsushita\tSR-8187\tPowerBook G4 Titanium
Matsushita\tSR-8583\tPowerMac G3/G4
Matsushita\tSR-8584A\tPowerMac G3/G4
Matsushita\tSR-8585\tPowerMac G4
Matsushita\tSR-8585F\tPowerMac G4
Pioneer\tDVR-103\tPowerMac G4/733PowerMac G4 (Quicksilver)
Panasonic\tCW-7121-BCW-7121\tiMac 2000 CDRW
Toshiba\tSD-R2002\tiBook 2001 (Combo)

EDIT: Here's one: <a href="http://www.mke.panasonic.co.jp/en/device/dvd/dvd8186.html" target="_blank">http://www.mke.panasonic.co.jp/en/device/dvd/dvd8186.html</a>

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: gordy ]</p>
post #5 of 7
Moving to Genius Bar.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #6 of 7
I belive the drive is the same form factor as the one in the old iMac... (I know from opening mine up) If this truly is the case, it would not be the reason the Cube's production was ceased.
1 Peter 1:6-7
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz, 60gig hd, 1.25 gigs ram.

Powermac G4 "Sawtooth" 400 mhz, 80gig hd, 384mb of ram, Rage 128 Pro graphics.
1 Peter 1:6-7
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz, 60gig hd, 1.25 gigs ram.

Powermac G4 "Sawtooth" 400 mhz, 80gig hd, 384mb of ram, Rage 128 Pro graphics.
post #7 of 7
They are different models, but I'm not sure how much it matters. I read somewhere that there was firmware on the iMac DVD drive specific to the iMac. Therefore, it may not work on the Cube.

Matsushita SR-8184 iMac DV
Matsushita SR-8186 G4 Cube

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: gordy ]</p>
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › replacing Cube DVD-ROM