or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google, Samsung cancel phone launch event out of respect for Steve Jobs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google, Samsung cancel phone launch event out of respect for Steve Jobs

post #1 of 193
Thread Starter 
Google and Samsung have canceled an event planned for next week where the companies were supposed to announce the first smartphone based on Android "Ice Cream Sandwich," a move reportedly made in response to the death of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs.

The two companies are said to have rescheduled the event out of respect for Jobs, sources told Ina Fried of All Things D. The companies were originally scheduled to show off the next version of Google's Android operating system, dubbed Ice Cream Sandwich, along with a new "Nexus" smartphone built by Samsung on Tuesday.

"Sources said the companies just felt it was the wrong time to hold a launch event, as the world continues mourning Jobs, who died on Wednesday," Fried wrote.

Samsung and Google earlier on Friday issued a joint statement stating they would postpone the "Samsung Mobile Unpacked" event during the CTIA trade show in San Diego, Calif. "Under the current circumstances, both parties have agreed that this is not the appropriate time for the announcement of a new product," the press release vaguely said.

The move by Samsung and Apple is particularly interesting because Apple has not changed its plans to launch the iPhone 4S next week. The company began taking preorders earlier Friday for the handset's Oct. 14 launch.



Both Google and Samsung have paid their respects to Jobs since he died after a long bout with cancer on Wednesday at the age of 56. Google's executive chairman, Eric Schmidt, formerly served as a member on Apple's board of directors.

Teasers for the now-postponed event have teased that the companies will show off "something big." Reports have indicated the new handset will sport a curved screen with a 4.65-inch display, and will be the first handset to run Android 4.0.
post #2 of 193
Respect.
post #3 of 193
While this is an incredibly touching and honoring move, I don't believe Steve would approve if we had the chance to ask him. I know he would want things to continue as if nothing happened. As much as he believed he had the superior products and processes, Steve Jobs valued competition and embraced it, and I think he would want his competitors to keep trying as hard as they can to be better, because that will also force Apple to be better as well. Apple keeping the status quo and pushing ahead with their new launch, continuing to work hard on new products, and making sure everything is up to Apple's standard is exactly the right way to honor Steve, because if he were still with us, that's exactly what he would be doing right now.
post #4 of 193
I'm inclined to think that this cancellation is more about Steve's death overshadowing this event, than it being out of respect. They want to grab all the headlines, rather than be largely ignored by the media at this time.
post #5 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung and Google earlier on Friday issued a joint statement stating they would postpone the "Samsung Mobile Unpacked" event during the CTIA trade show in San Diego, Calif. "Under the current circumstances, both parties have agreed that this is not the appropriate time for the announcement of a new product," the press release vaguely said.

This is very fishy.

Companies are supposed to behave in a way that increases shareholder value. Business is a fast moving world. Ford isn't going to delay their model year because the Toyota CEO passes away.

My hunch is that there is nothing wrong with the Samsung handset hardware, but that there may be some issues with the Android OS, either from a stability perspective or possibly a lack of features which became more glaringly apparent after final details of iOS 5 were unveiled (specifically Siri Assistant).

They're still going to participate in the tradeshow. Apple doesn't participate at tradeshows, and both these companies know that Apple can hold a random press event with a week's notice. And frankly, I don't know how much press would be accorded to something like this Google-Samsung event anyhow. It's not like you see people lining up around the block waiting for the next Android handset.
post #6 of 193
I call BS. Something went wrong and they're using this as an excuse to buy some time.
post #7 of 193
It's very rare for a business to do something like this for a competitor. Regardless of how a person feels toward Google/Samsung they did it out of respect. A fallen rival such as Mr. Jobs shows they even they for a split moment in time aren't always the =

That's about as much class as one can show in this type of business. Then again this is just my 2 cents.

Though I'm sure I'll get knocked for not slamming them or cursing them. Then again who cares...
post #8 of 193
I am inclined to believe it is what they say it is...

There are many reasons that could contribute to the decision...

But, let's just say that common courtesy and common sense ruled the day.

Well done Google and Samsung!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
Reply
post #9 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

This is very fishy.

Companies are supposed to behave in a way that increases shareholder value. Business is a fast moving world. Ford isn't going to delay their model year because the Toyota CEO passes away.

yea stick to your textbook rationale.
post #10 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

This is very fishy.

Companies are supposed to behave in a way that increases shareholder value. Business is a fast moving world. Ford isn't going to delay their model year because the Toyota CEO passes away.



Agreed.

All this anthropomorphizing of corporations is bizarre. Corporations don't do things out of "respect". They do things to make money.

For whatever reason, delaying the launch is calculated to yield a greater profit than going forward as planned. Maybe the PR value of appearing respectful, maybe to polish the software, maybe to garner more headlines, whatever.
post #11 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Agreed.

All this anthropomorphizing of corporations is bizarre. Corporations don't do things out of "respect". They do things to make money.

For whatever reason, delaying the launch is calculated to yield a greater profit than going forward as planned. Maybe the PR value of appearing respectful, maybe to polish the software, maybe to garner more headlines, whatever.

True, corporations don't, but maybe the people who run them do.
post #12 of 193
Out of respect? Google, maybe. But Samsung?

And an event that's still a week away? Odd.

Maybe the Ice Cream is still a little soft....

Or, more likely, they don't want to be seen as attempting to trash Steve and his creations so close to his death.

Whatever it is, there's a business decision behind it.
post #13 of 193
The real reason is Apple showed the 4S and gave more details about iOS 5. Now Google and Samsung are frantically trying to clone the 4S and iOS 5 and are delaying just like they copy everything else Apple does. Same story, different day
post #14 of 193
+1 for fishy. Sounds more convenient, like it was not ready.
post #15 of 193
I read the new Samsung Nexus S is 9mm thin. That I believe, but I doubt its thickest point is only 9mm when you compare it to the rest of the device in the teaser image.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I am inclined to believe it is what they say it is...

There are many reasons that could contribute to the decision...

But, let's just say that common courtesy and common sense ruled the day.

Well done Google and Samsung!

1) I don't buy it. I'd say the most likely answer is that there are continued issues with ICS that are causing delays and they are using Steve Jobs death to save face. If that is the case that then is despicable, though not out of character for both Samsung and Google.

2) Apple isn't pushing back it's iOS 5.0 or iPhone 4S launch because of Steve Jobs's death, so why would Samsung or Google delay?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #16 of 193
Ah, sh**-talking the competition trying to pay respect, claiming other motives. Steve would be proud.
post #17 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelong View Post

True, corporations don't, but maybe the people who run them do.

Yes... When someone as accomplished and renowned as Steve dies at such a young age, It makes each of us think, if just for a moment:

"There, but for the grace of God, go I".
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
Reply
post #18 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) I don't buy it. I'd say the most likely answer is that there are continued issues with ICS that are causing delays and they are using Steve Jobs death to save face.

Possibly, though they do claim that the release date of the device won't be affected. FWIW the video of ICS that leaked today looks okay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=DvsXyeY0HVE
post #19 of 193
I don't think it would even matter how long they postponed the event. Even if it was for an hour, the gesture is priceless.
post #20 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yes... When someone as accomplished and renowned as Steve dies at such a young age, It makes each of us think, if just for a moment:

"There, but for the grace of God, go I".

Yes, and some of the posts in thread (and others) make it clear that a lot of people here that Google and Apple, as well as the people at both companies, literally hate each other, which is ridiculous...
post #21 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

The real reason is Apple showed the 4S and gave more details about iOS 5. Now Google and Samsung are frantically trying to clone the 4S and iOS 5 and are delaying just like they copy everything else Apple does. Same story, different day

Exactly- wait til they unveil "our New Nexus running Suri!"
post #22 of 193
For those who smell fish (or smell like it), consider this:

Sergey Brin and Larry Page have been unabashed admirers of Steve Jobs, well before Jobs was sick. The respect they have for the man may be equal to that of most Apple fans. Despite Steve Jobs' reported anger toward Google and particularly Eric Schmidt, Schmidt has said nothing but kind words even well before Jobs' death. In some ways, the GooglePlex has lost a hero too, a source of inspiration.

Of course, we will never know anyone's true motive. But, in the absence of certainty, why not choose the more positive scenario and be happy? Being a cynic whenever possible does not make one more intelligent. It just makes you more cynical.
post #23 of 193
Let the focus be on remembering Steve and prayers for his wife and kids in loss of young husband and father. When time is right the competition will begin again.
post #24 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I read the new Samsung Nexus S is 9mm thin. That I believe, but I doubt its thickest point is only 9mm when you compare it to the rest of the device in the teaser image.




1) I don't buy it. I'd say the most likely answer is that there are continued issues with ICS that are causing delays and they are using Steve Jobs death to save face. If that is the case that then is despicable, though not out of character for both Samsung and Google.

2) Apple isn't pushing back it's iOS 5.0 or iPhone 4S launch because of Steve Jobs's death, so why would Samsung or Google delay?

Disagree!

I prefer to believe the best in people -- even those who have acted badly in the past!

"Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then"


The above belief is tempered by the fact that I, personally, have nothing to lose by believing their motives.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
Reply
post #25 of 193
lol I'm convinced Google and Samsung could announce that they are going to use their deep wallets and resources to feed all the starving children in the world and some of you overt iPhanboys would still see an ulterior motive.

Steve Jobs was a great man well respected even by those who directly competed with him. His death was felt by people far and wide and out of respect his death is honored.

They may have had to rewrite a script trashing some Apple iOS things or whatever or come off as more passive overall during their presentations but whatever the motivation behind the 2 week postponement it was done out of respect for the passing of the late great Steven P. Jobs.
post #26 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


"There, but for the grace of God, go I".

Let's lighten up a bit- for a minute.
That's my favorite song by Machine (and available at the iTunes store) and sampled as one of my iPhone ringers:

http://www.lyricscrawler.com/song/34752.html
post #27 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I don't think it would even matter how long they postponed the event. Even if it was for an hour, the gesture is priceless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelong View Post

Yes, and some of the posts in thread (and others) make it clear that a lot of people here that Google and Apple, as well as the people at both companies, literally hate each other, which is ridiculous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

For those who smell fish (or smell like it), consider this:

Sergey Brin and Larry Page have been unabashed admirers of Steve Jobs, well before Jobs was sick. The respect they have for the man may be equal to that of most Apple fans. Despite Steve Jobs' reported anger toward Google and particularly Eric Schmidt, Schmidt has said nothing but kind words even well before Jobs' death. In some ways, the GooglePlex has lost a hero too, a source of inspiration.

Of course, we will never know anyone's true motive. But, in the absence of certainty, why not choose the more positive scenario and be happy? Being a cynic whenever possible does not make one more intelligent. It just makes you more cynical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbop View Post

Let the focus be on remembering Steve and prayers for his wife and kids in loss of young husband and father. When time is right the competition will begin again.

+++ QFT to all the above posts... some things just bring a smile to your heart!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
Reply
post #28 of 193
Dear Apple,

We see that you just announced your next big thing. As it stands, you will be hailed as having the best-in-class camera, and groundbreaking speech technology in Siri that will truly revolutionize the way people use smartphones. We realize that our speech technology will be reviewed unfavorably next to yours, and that many who like or need to use that functionality will walk away from our platform and go to yours without at least a token response from us.

We wanted you to have a reasonable window in the market as the undisputed thought, product, and marketing leader once again. That way, you will be able to maximize sales of your new product line, unabated by us. We want to do this because of our profound respect for Steve Jobs. The world mourns his loss, and we mourn with you. We are sorry for all the petty intellectual property theft and groundless lawsuits, so we want to offer this as a downpayment for all the misery we caused you for no good reason.

When your sales hit ten million units of the new device, and fifty million of those free phones that you will sell in short order, only then will we humbly present a stripped down offering of what we have intended if that's OK with you.

Sincerely,

Google and Samsung

Sure, I buy that.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Reply
post #29 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbop View Post

Let the focus be on remembering Steve and prayers for his wife and kids in loss of young husband and father. When time is right the competition will begin again.

Amen to that.

On a philosophical note, not being a Christian, I wonder what's the purpose of prayers for the survivors of the diseased? Is it because they have lost a caretaker in their lives and now need God to assume that role? Or is it because they will need help to get over the grieving process?

Sincerely curious about that ...
post #30 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Dear Apple,

We see that you just announced your next big thing. As it stands, you will be hailed as having the best-in-class camera, and groundbreaking speech technology in Siri that will truly revolutionize the way people use smartphones. We realize that our speech technology will be reviewed unfavorably next to yours, and that many who like or need to use that functionality will walk away from our platform and go to yours without at least a token response from us.

We wanted you to have a reasonable window in the market as the undisputed thought, product, and marketing leader once again. That way, you will be able to maximize sales of your new product line, unabated by us. We want to do this because of our profound respect for Steve Jobs. The world mourns his loss, and we mourn with you. We are sorry for all the petty intellectual property theft and groundless lawsuits, so we want to offer this as a downpayment for all the misery we caused you for no good reason.

When your sales hit ten million units of the new device, and fifty million of those free phones that you will sell in short order, only then will we humbly present a stripped down offering of what we have intended if that's OK with you.

Sincerely,

Google and Samsung

Sure, I buy that.

More tasteless than you realize.
post #31 of 193
1. Don't launch since you will be swamped by other stories, e.g., Jobs
2. Not really ready, a chronic problem for Android and Samsung, who love to launch betas
3. ... pick your explanation

Oh by the way, lets spin it as out of respect for Steve Job's. Not!!!
post #32 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

This is very fishy.

Companies are supposed to behave in a way that increases shareholder value. Business is a fast moving world. Ford isn't going to delay their model year because the Toyota CEO passes away.

My hunch is that there is nothing wrong with the Samsung handset hardware, but that there may be some issues with the Android OS, either from a stability perspective or possibly a lack of features which became more glaringly apparent after final details of iOS 5 were unveiled (specifically Siri Assistant).

Nonsense. If there was really a problem, you wouldn't create advertising and starting hyping a product/release to back out less than a week before announcement. I work in Marketing, that's not how it goes.

This is what they say it is. What they are doing does increase shareholder value. It helps PR, extends hype avoids the Apple story all together. Remember they aren't delaying the RELEASE of the product ($$$) they are (briefly) postponing the ANNOUNCEMENT.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #33 of 193
BULL shit.

Time to copy Siri
post #34 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

BULL shit.

Time to copy Siri

yes, two weeks to code an integrated voice recognition software....definitely.

/sarcasm
post #35 of 193
Word is it's going to be a week delay.

7 days.

7 days for you cynical people to fix major hardware issues with their next hardware revision, 7 days to fix the obviously broken Android ICS update and/or beef up the phone to compete with the 4s.

Or maybe, just maybe, it's out of respect at the loss of a modern day pioneer who's funeral is likely to clash with the event.
"Very disappointing to have people judging something without all the facts." - charlituna.
Reply
"Very disappointing to have people judging something without all the facts." - charlituna.
Reply
post #36 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

yes, two weeks to code an integrated voice recognition software....definitely.

/sarcasm

Uh, it's google. They have thousands of developers they can re-direct onto a project. But more likely the have to find something to outshine Siri in some way...

p.s. Siri isn't voice recognition software. It uses voice recognition to feed into an artificial intelligence engine (mostly based upon wolfram alpha)
post #37 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Amen to that.

On a philosophical note, not being a Christian, I wonder what's the purpose of prayers for the survivors of the diseased? Is it because they have lost a caretaker in their lives and now need God to assume that role? Or is it because they will need help to get over the grieving process?

Sincerely curious about that ...

I am not particularly religious...

But, this simple poem from my youth says it better than I can:

Abou ben Adam

Abou ben Adam (may his tribe increase!)
awoke one night from a deep dream of peace,
And saw, within the moonlight of his room,
Making it rich, and like a lily in bloom,
an angel, writing in a book of of gold.

Exceeding peace had made Ben Adam bold,
And to the Prescence in the room he said:
"What writest thou?" The vision raised its head,
And, with a look made of all sweet accord,
Answered, "The names of those who love the Lord."

"And is mine one?"said Abou, "Nay, not so,"
Replied the angel. Abou spoke more low,
But cheerily still, and said, "I pray thee, then,
Write me as one who loves his fellow men."

The angel wrote, and vanished. The next night
It came again, with a great awakening light,
And showed the names whom love of God had blest,
And lo! Ben adam's name led all the rest.

- Leigh Hunt

Edit: Sorry, I read your post verbatim: "diseased" instead of "deceased"... You must be using the Lion TypeInstead feature.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
Reply
post #38 of 193
Wow you guys are insane.

So tell me...what do you think happened? (to all the people stating some odd conspiracy)
post #39 of 193
I love how people immediately assume this has an ulterior motive. I'm disappointed. These two company's may have been at war with each other in the market, but they are still run by people. This reminds me of something tragic that just happened to the University of Michigan Marching Band. Understand that I'm a member of The Ohio State Marching Band, and the only reason I'm even spelling that state's name is out of respect. One of their band members died in a car accident. Now, for those of you who don't understand the OSU-UM rivalry, I'll try and sum it up for you. I hate that state. I hate everything about them. I hate the colors Maize and Blue. I'd rather be punched in the balls than listen to Hail To the Victors. A female wearing that jersey is just as disgusting as one that smokes (I'm a non-smoker). When we march into Ann Arbor, the band and our team has as many security guards and snipers (yeah, snipers \) as the president giving a speech...We still get charged at and I've gotten a black eye from being assaulted while leaving. Essentially, we hate each other. That being said, when we learned of this kids death, we essentially ended practice early out of respect. We sent a few of our own to personally talk to their band to let them know that we feel their pain. I know some of you probably don't care, but after experiencing this just last week (seriously, look it up), I have a better understanding of what Google/Samsung are doing. Death is much bigger than you and I.

tl;dr: People are capable of being great.
tl;dr2: Muck Fichigan.
TalkAndroid anyone?
Reply
TalkAndroid anyone?
Reply
post #40 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

Uh, it's google. They have thousands of developers they can re-direct onto a project. But more likely the have to find something to outshine Siri in some way...

p.s. Siri isn't voice recognition software. It uses voice recognition to feed into an artificial intelligence engine (mostly based upon wolfram alpha)

It's voice recognition regardless.

Anyways you are suggesting something really unlikely.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google, Samsung cancel phone launch event out of respect for Steve Jobs