or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google, Samsung cancel phone launch event out of respect for Steve Jobs

Google, Samsung cancel phone launch event out of respect for Steve Jobs - Page 4

post #121 of 193
Please Post your Tribute photos, videos, etc. about Steve.

Remembering Steve Jobs
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=133651

CNN: Obamacare largest tax increase in American history

FORBES: ObamaCare's 7 Tax Hikes On Middle class

CNN: Obamacare largest tax increase in American history

FORBES: ObamaCare's 7 Tax Hikes On Middle class

post #122 of 193
What load a load of crap if this is true. Yes he died and thats sad but why should they delay a launch of a product?!?!
post #123 of 193
They are not delaying the product launch, they are delaying the keynote. Products have their own timeline.
post #124 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

No, actually, it's not. As any sane person giving it a moment's thought would realize.

I'm sorry you were not raised to respect others, but it really is.
Going to a funeral and yelling "you're all idiots for liking this guy" is just as offensive as yelling "this guy was an idiot." If you think Apple and Google hated each other half as much as your (apparent) fanatic distaste for Google is you're seriously mistaken. It is no secret that people at the top of Google were very close to Steve Jobs and/or admired him. Hell, who didn't in the technology world? Regardless, I don't doubt that Google simply wanted to take time and show respect for him. Your disrespect for them for doing this is disgusting.
TalkAndroid anyone?
TalkAndroid anyone?
post #125 of 193
This is more like their wait and see approach for the iP4S feature set. So that they can reset and add or announce additional features to trump the iP4S.
post #126 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Is it "teardrop" shaped? Maybe they copied the "iPhone 5".

copying a non existent device?

that would be like skating to where hte puck will be

oh wait, that analogy is trademarks for apple, right?
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #127 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

It is no secret that people at the top of Google were very close to Steve Jobs and/or admired him. Hell, who didn't in the technology world?

Ah...at least one. Although you have to stretch the definition of technology world pretty far in this case.
post #128 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

copying a non existent device?

that would be like skating to where hte puck will be

oh wait, that analogy is trademarks for apple, right?

well according to the German judge the Tab copied a non-existent device and was banned...soooo.
post #129 of 193
Does anybody think that Apple would ever cancel an event if the head of Google or Samsung happened to die?

I'm sure that Apple would release some polite sounding statement and offer condolences, but they wouldn't cancel any event, nor should they.
post #130 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Disagree!

I prefer to believe the best in people -- even those who have acted badly in the past!

"Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then"

The above belief is tempered by the fact that I, personally, have nothing to lose by believing their motives.

Not agreeing or disagreeing but... hogs find acorns by sniffing the ground, not by looking. A blind hog who relies on sense of smell more may in fact find more acorns. My 3.5 acorns.
post #131 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Does anybody think that Apple would ever cancel an event if the head of Google or Samsung happened to die?

I'm sure that Apple would release some polite sounding statement and offer condolences, but they wouldn't cancel any event, nor should they.

I think they might delay the keynote for the next OSX if Gates passed away a week before. Or at least made sure any disparaging Windows remarks were scrubbed. Then they'd need to re-reherse...so they might as well delay a bit.
post #132 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Are you people suggesting that Google and Samsung had such contempt for Apple and Steve that none of the higher ups (whom openly praised Steve) actually may be doing this out of respect to Steve?

I never really knew how deep your collective hatred of anything not Apple was until now.

It really is pathetic.

If they had respected Steve, they would have acted differently while he was alive.

Remember Google I/O with Vic Gundotra in 2010? "If Google did not act, our future would belong to one man, one company, one vision," with a 1984 scene on the slideshow behind him. And we're supposed to take this guy's little "Steve story" seriously, as if he and Steve were best buds? Give me a break.

https://plus.google.com/107117483540...ts/gcSStkKxXTw

It is absolutely NOT "hatred of anything not Apple." It is contempt for people like Gundotra who scorned Steve while he was alive, and now are jumping on the "We love Steve" bandwagon after he is gone.
post #133 of 193
I didn't see anyone make this point, so I'll make it.

The motives behind this are going to be hard to separate out because the current situation leads to a convergence of reasons for delaying the keynote. Assuming that there are no real business downsides, delaying allows them to show some respect for SJ and spares them being overshadowed in the media. I doubt it is about product problems since it is probably too close to launch to fix those, but who knows.

It doesn't matter. Trying to argue that one motive was more important than the other is rather meaningless, because I doubt Google or Samsung will tell us, which is the only way we would know for sure. Slamming them for doing it for the wrong (subjective assessment anyway) motive is even more untenable. They had all the reasons for delaying and none for not delaying. What else would make sense?
post #134 of 193
What does launching a product have to do with respect or disrespect. Were they planning to take cheap shots at Apple during the presentation? Why not use the launch as an opportunity to say something gracious about Steve Jobs in a public manner?
My humble opinion is they want to have a clear schedule leading up to their event without competing with Steve Jobs. And it leaves me feeling slightly icky about Google and Samsung. Not one single person would have looked at their event a week later and said "Oh this is so disrespectful of Google and Samsung having this event."
post #135 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlehamster View Post

Not agreeing or disagreeing but... hogs find acorns by sniffing the ground, not by looking. A blind hog who relies on sense of smell more may in fact find more acorns. My 3.5 acorns.

Glad we have a swine expert amongst us here on AI!
You talkin' to me?
You talkin' to me?
post #136 of 193
Classy Move Google. Anything else would be in poor taste and exploitive.
post #137 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Glad we have a swine expert amongst us here on AI!

This is great! I think it's combination of business and respect even if everyone at googlesung doesn't have respect for SJ.
post #138 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprovida View Post

1. Don't launch since you will be swamped by other stories, e.g., Jobs
Oh by the way, lets spin it as out of respect for Steve Job's. Not!!!

BINGO.

I call BS as well.
post #139 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadash View Post

If they had respected Steve, they would have acted differently while he was alive.

Remember Google I/O with Vic Gundotra in 2010? "If Google did not act, our future would belong to one man, one company, one vision," with a 1984 scene on the slideshow behind him. And we're supposed to take this guy's little "Steve story" seriously, as if he and Steve were best buds? Give me a break.

https://plus.google.com/107117483540...ts/gcSStkKxXTw

It is absolutely NOT "hatred of anything not Apple." It is contempt for people like Gundotra who scorned Steve while he was alive, and now are jumping on the "We love Steve" bandwagon after he is gone.

You're selectively picking pieces of factoids to justify your premise. Gundotra also wrote a very touching tribute to Steve Jobs before he died. Brin, Page and Schmidt all have repeatedly expressed their idolatry of Jobs well before his death.

It would not surprise me if you already know about this but choose only to highlight the negative because it justifies your passion to see only the worst in people/organizations you do not like.

That's too bad. You can never ever prove your point (because true motive cannot be proven). But why not learn to be happy and try to see the best in people when the possibility very much exists. Open your eyes and heart.
post #140 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

Indeed. And those who insist on *exposing* an ulterior motive are in fact being exploitative.
post #141 of 193
I don't know whether their stated motivation for this move is true or not. At the very least, I do think it's quite classy for both Google and Samsung to continue to pay their respects to SJ.

However, upon hearing this, the first thought I had was: What would Steve Jobs do? The only answer I came up with? Not this.

I cannot imagine SJ ever postponing an Apple event/announcement due to the death of a competitor's founder/chairman/CEO.

As such, even though Samsung and Google have stated their respect for SJ, a more fitting tribute would be to act as he would, put together an amazing presentation, then execute it on time, as originally planned. Essentially, "Show me, don't tell me".

Just my $0.02.

RIP Steve Jobs
post #142 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

No, actually, it's not. As any sane person giving it a moment's thought would realize.

A sane, rational person would think this way:

There's no way I can read minds of people I don't know. I have nothing to gain by assuming the worst unless I believe that cynicism might make me smarter than I really am. I choose to take someone's word at face value because it cannot be proven otherwise, and I have nothing else to gain or lose except happiness.
post #143 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus1602 View Post

I cannot imagine SJ ever postponing an Apple event/announcement due to the death of a competitor's founder/chairman/CEO.

No, he wouldn't. But none of them have his stature. So that argument, with all due respect, simply has no standing.
post #144 of 193
My guess is that the presentation was so 'anti-Apple' or targeted at Apple that the backlash would have been bad PR for both brands.

or as many have said. Something went wrong and this is a convenient excuse.
post #145 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthomps View Post

My guess is that the presentation was so 'anti-Apple' or targeted at Apple that the backlash would have been bad PR for both brands.

or as many have said. Something went wrong and this is a convenient excuse.

That would be my guess.

After all:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...pples_ios.html

So much for Google acting out of respect for Apple and Jobs.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #146 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

BULL shit.

Time to copy Siri

Samsung already had Voice talk, 5 months ago.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #147 of 193
God. Some people just can't get past their inner fanboy.

Jobs was providing advice to Larry Page when he became CEO this year despite Android competing with iOS. Both Page and Brin have said that they originally wanted Jobs as their CEO at Google. Larry Page also lives one street over from Steve Jobs in Palo Alto. Eric Schmidt has spoken, repeatedly, about the brilliance of Jobs despite the hatred that Apple fans have for the man. In one interview Schmidt compared the rise of Jobs to the rise of Obama. Apple fans may think that Googlers have some hate on for Apple. Nothing could be further from the truth. They probably have a strong admiration for Apple as the company to beat. And the probably had nothing but profound admiration for a man who probably mentored the whole Google C-suite just as much as he competed with them.

They've put the link to Apple's website on their homepage. When have they ever honoured somebody who passed away like that? And for all you cynics, please tell me what would they have to gain by linking to a competitor's website?

But if business must be discussed, what would they gain by launching next week? When they announced the cancellation, the funeral date was not known. There was a risk the funeral could be on the same day. Their major launch would get drowned out by all the coverage of Jobs funeral and then right after with the iPhone 4S launch. Aside from that, if they planned to have any jabs at Apple in that keynote, that could be construed as poor taste in light of Jobs' death, that would be a PR disaster. Far better to take a week or two and go over that presentation to make sure nothing backfires from a PR perspective as a minimum.

It's moronic to suggest that they've got problems with the software or hardware. If that was their plan, and Jobs hadn't passed away, how would they have postponed the event? Someone seriously need to some sun in under those tinfoil hats.
post #148 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That would be my guess.

After all:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...pples_ios.html

So much for Google acting out of respect for Apple and Jobs.

The courts and tribunals don't extend their deadlines just because somebody passes away.
post #149 of 193
Even longer than that. This feature was in Gingerbread since last year.

Though, I have a GS2 on Sprint, and the voice control is much better than stock gingerbread.
post #150 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

You're selectively picking pieces of factoids to justify your premise. Gundotra also wrote a very touching tribute to Steve Jobs before he died. Brin, Page and Schmidt all have repeatedly expressed their idolatry of Jobs well before his death.

It would not surprise me if you already know about this but choose only to highlight the negative because it justifies your passion to see only the worst in people/organizations you do not like.

That's too bad. You can never ever prove your point (because true motive cannot be proven). But why not learn to be happy and try to see the best in people when the possibility very much exists. Open your eyes and heart.

I linked to Gundotra's piece in my original post. I am not being selective about what I choose to highlight. If anyone is doing that here, it is you. All I am doing is pointing out that these guys had very different things to say about Steve before he died.

As for their motives, it is pretty clearly self-interest. You don't have to be a mind reader or time traveler to infer motives, whether the actors are still living or died long ago. What purpose is there in reading or writing history, politics, or current events without learning about (and from) the motivations that drive people?

I am sure Page, Brin, and Gundotra admired Jobs. But that doesn't mean they didn't say and do some pretty crappy things in the last few years. For example, as has been widely reported, Steve made it pretty clear that he thought Android infringed on a lot of the work Apple had done with iOS directly to Google. That didn't stop Google from infringing.

Gundotra's "one man" line I quoted above wasn't true, as if Android is "open" in any true sense of the word - especially now with Ice Cream Sandwich. That didn't stop Google from beating Apple with the false "open" meme. Steve himself properly labeled this claim "bullshit."

This has nothing to do with happiness, cynicism, or whether I "like" Google or not. This is just objective reality.
post #151 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

It's moronic to suggest that they've got problems with the software or hardware. If that was their plan, and Jobs hadn't passed away, how would they have postponed the event? Someone seriously need to some sun in under those tinfoil hats.

Moronic? Postpone?

Of course they wouldn't have postponed if they didn't have a good excuse (... and this is not to say that this is the reason why they are postponing now). One only has to look at the introduction of the Xoom. They didn't postpone that introduction, but rushing both hardware and software to market to compete with the iPad 2 turned out to be a disaster for both. So saying that there might be a problem with ICS when mixed with the Prime is not really that far fetched considering that it looks like they are now rushing that combination to market to compete with the 4S.
Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #152 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Samsung already had Voice talk, 5 months ago.

Quote:

Even longer than that. This feature was in Gingerbread since last year.

Though, I have a GS2 on Sprint, and the voice control is much better than stock gingerbread.

Siri isn't the same as voice talk/control or any predefined vocal command system.

Siri is artificial intelligence that can maintain a running context-sensitive dialog with the user -- then anticipate and perform actions on his behalf.

For an example of what I mean see about 1:11:41 in at:

Apple Sepcial Event - October 4, 2011

1) The voice to text translation is provided by another product -- on the iPhone.

2) Siri analyzes the text in the context of what your are doing, and have been doing -- on the iPhone.

3) Based on the Siri Analysis, Siri performs an action either:
-- on the iPhone itself
-- by requesting outside help via Apple's servers

I believe that Google's voice solution requires a limited, predefined syntax -- and most, if not all of any analysis is done on Google's servers.

I suspect what sets iPhone/Siri apart is the deep integration of the Siri analysis software and the iPhone 4S hardware.

Even if Google are able to approximate Siri within the Android OS and Google apps -- I doubt that they will have sufficient control over the hardware to match the iPhone/Siri implementation.

The quote by Alan Kay comes to mind:

“People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware.”
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #153 of 193
Lack of sportsmanship in the Apple fanboy camp is utterly preposterous.

You all should be ashamed of yourselves.

post #154 of 193
Quote:

I suspect what sets iPhone/Siri apart is the deep integration of the Siri analysis software and the iPhone 4S hardware.

What hardware?

Besides the already included micrphone and speakerphone, there is nothing related to Siri that isnt on the iPhone 4 (regular).

Apple makes the Siri available only on the 4s to spur sales of it.

It essentially locks out the feature set of Siri used on other phones.

It's all software.

There is not a special switch to activate it (besides holding down the home button for 2 seconds, of which Apple already had the feature in iOS 4)

Dont get ahead of yourself here bud.

Siri (and its kind of software) showcases the power of cloud computing.

The actually software inside the iPhone 4s is nothing more than a recording device + transmitter that sends the voice data over to Apple's datacenter (where most of the heavy lifting and voice analysis is done).

We all know that Google's strength is quite heavy in this area.

post #155 of 193
Quote:

Even if Google are able to approximate Siri within the Android OS and Google apps -- I doubt that they will have sufficient control over the hardware to match the iPhone/Siri implementation.

The quote by Alan Kay comes to mind:

People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware.

This is what I'm most curious about. If there is special HW for the local processing of Siri I hope it's an obvious chip and not a new integrated part of the A5 PoP just to know that it exists.

Quote:

What hardware?

Besides the already included micrphone and speakerphone, there is nothing related to Siri that isnt on the iPhone 4 (regular).

Apple makes the Siri available only on the 4s to spur sales of it.

It essentially locks out the feature set of Siri used on other phones.

It's all software.

1) See the Alan Kay quote.

2) You don't seem to have an understanding of how SW and HW work in tandem so here's an example that I hope you can wrap your head around: H.264.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #156 of 193
Quote:

huh?? So any business in the mobile market shouldn't launch any new products in the next couple weeks because of Jobs?
post #157 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This is what I'm most curious about. If there is special HW for the local processing of Siri I hope it's an obvious chip and not a new integrated part of the A5 PoP just to know that it exists.

1) See the Alan Kay quote.

2) You don't seem to have an understanding of how SW and HW work in tandem so here's an example that I hope you can wrap your head around: H.264.

Show me the evidence that the Siri has a special hardware feature INSIDE the iPhone 4s that actually does the heavy lifting.

I'm willing to bet that most of the processing work and "AI" is done at the backend at Apple's computer farm.

Like I've mentioned already, the iPhone 4s's Siri feature on the phone is nothing more than a voice recorder + transmitter that send all of its information over to Apple's datacenter to do the voice analysis. Even the demonstrator mentioned it during his demo.

Sorry to rain on your parade but there isnt anything special INSIDE the iPhone 4s's Siri that sets its apart from the iPhone 4's hardware.

It's all software.

I would've given credit had Apple included additional microphones on the 4s to recognize voice more clearly. Now THAT would set the 4s apart from the 4. But so far, as to my knowledge, that isnt the case here.

Google uses the same type of technology to interpret voice and do the data processing on its computer farms. Google Maps for getting directions. On Android, the software you download isnt anything special. It's just a voice recorder with a transmitter that sends the voice data over to Google's computer farms where it does all the heavy lifting and spits out the appropriate directions.

post #158 of 193
Quote:

Show me the evidence that the Siri has a special hardware feature INSIDE the iPhone 4s that actually does the heavy lifting.

Do you even read posts before you respond? What part about being curious about the potential for dedicated HW did you not understand?

Quote:
Like I've mentioned already, the iPhone 4s's Siri feature on the phone is nothing more than a voice recorder + transmitter that send all of its information over to Apple's datacenter to do the voice analysis. Even the demonstrator mentioned it during his demo.

So you want to go on record here every bit of audio is being sent to an Apple server to be processed and there is not a single bit of local processing involved in any of the Siri ads.

Since we've determined you have trouble with comprehension I'll break this down again for you. You're claiming that when you say "Tell my wife I'm running late." That the audio is sent to a server, then processed into text, then it figures out what kind of data this is, what kind os message to compile, who your wife is among your contacts, what you want to say, and then — and only then — sends it back to the phone as a a packet all ready to send?

I'll give you another hint. Find an iPhone user, ask to use their iPhone, enable Airport. Now hold down the Home Button and say "Play songs by %name_of_artist_in_iPod_app%." Guess what will happen?
post #159 of 193
Quote:

Do you even read posts before you respond? What part about being curious about the potential for dedicated HW did you not understand?

So what your saying is, just like the improvement in performance transitioning from software driven H.264 encoding/decoding to hardware driven H.264 decoding/encoding you would want a world where Siri is based strictly on hardware?

Too costly and slow to deploy upgrades.

Why? Software is easier to upgrade and deploy where as hardware (though faster) requires too much retooling.

post #160 of 193
Quote:

I'll give you another hint. Find an iPhone user, ask to use their iPhone, enable Airport so you have no internet connection whatsoever. Now hold down the Home Button and say play songs by %name_of_artist_in_iPod_app%." Guess what will happen?

Is that how Siri works? From what I've understood, that feature is already available on the iOS 4.

I'm talking about Siri, not the voice controls already in the iPhone.

Are we even on the same page here?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google, Samsung cancel phone launch event out of respect for Steve Jobs