or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google, Samsung cancel phone launch event out of respect for Steve Jobs

Google, Samsung cancel phone launch event out of respect for Steve Jobs - Page 3

post #81 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorsNewClothes View Post

I'm inclined to think that this cancellation is more about Steve's death overshadowing this event, than it being out of respect. They want to grab all the headlines, rather than be largely ignored by the media at this time.

Regardless of the motive, it is The Right Thing To Do.
And yes, I realize we're pretty cynical sometimes when companies express any non-selfish motives, but I don't think there is any benefit in questioning the sincerity of such public statements, because it doesn't really matter; what matters is what they decide to do. And they did The Right Thing.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #82 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by emperorsnewclothes View Post

i'm inclined to think that this cancellation is more about steve's death overshadowing this event, than it being out of respect. They want to grab all the headlines, rather than be largely ignored by the media at this time.

you have nailed it !!!
post #83 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post

Does anyone else think this is a HORRIBLE name??

It's a code name... the actual OS is Android 4.0
post #84 of 193
Appearances are everything, and even if there are ulterior motives for cancelling the event, what's important is that they appear to be honoring the memory of a fallen rival. That's what really counts. It's simple human respect and dignity. The skeptics can call B.S. all they like, but it doesn't change the attempt to appear respectful.

I applaud both companies for doing the right thing, even if it is ultimately in their best interest. That respect will rub off on me and I will happily take a look at their products.
post #85 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There you go. They using his death to their advantage. There is nothing wrong with this. Business isn't about being emotional, but if you can leverage it in others you can benefit from it.

PS: What benefit would they get if their news was overshadowed by news of Jobs. It would hurt their announcement. I'm just trying to get across that this isn't an altruistic gesture, it's just making the business strategy you can at any given moment.

Regardless it is a sign of respect...showing respect is hardly ever altruistic anyways.
post #86 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

Very classy. My opinion of Google and Samsung goes up around 5 notches.

Here's very not classy:

rms, freetardism's dear leader posted this:

http://stallman.org/archives/2011-ju...8Steve_Jobs%29

World's biggest jerk. I would say that my opinion of RMS dropped 5 notches but it was rock bottom already.

When you got to rock bottom, you dug a hole so your opinion could drop 5 more notches... Talk about a guy who is full of himself. I had a bunch of people like that in my Twitter feed this week. They just couldn't handle anyone who expressed sadness at Steve's passing and started tweeting all kinds of retarded contempt.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #87 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What's next, Jello?

Jello is a brand, so I doubt it.

Don't know what deserts start with J...may be Jelly bean.

Which will probably be the CODE name for Android 4.5 or 5.0
post #88 of 193
Quote:

There you go. They using his death to their advantage. There is nothing wrong with this. Business isn't about being emotional, but if you can leverage it in others you can benefit from it.

PS: What benefit would they get if their news was overshadowed by news of Jobs. It would hurt their announcement. I'm just trying to get across that this isn't an altruistic gesture, it's just making the business strategy you can at any given moment.

I think the difference is that you are looking for ulterior motives... (likely, there are some).

I am willing to accept what they say for what is regardless of contributing factors.

What is to be gained by believing the worst in a gesture like like this?

What is to be lost, by accepting what they say as being what they say it is?

There are times in life when it doesn't need to be a zero-sum game.

Have you ever done something for someone with no thought of repayment or recognition... I'm sure we all have?
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #89 of 193
I think someone else above nailed it: The funeral will overlap their marketing message, so they moved it.
post #90 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What's next, Jello?

Cupcake (1.5), Donut (1.6), Eclair (2.0-2.1), Froyo (2.2), Gingerbread (2.3), Honeycomb (3.0-3.2), Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0), Jellybean (4.x), Key Lime Pie (rumor)...
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #91 of 193
Quote:

I read the new Samsung Nexus S is 9mm thin. That I believe, but I doubt its thickest point is only 9mm when you compare it to the rest of the device in the teaser image.

About 18mm thick. The thinnest average points are 9mm but that does not count hte large camera bulge or the curved features.
post #92 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I think the difference is that you are looking for ulterior motives... (likely, there are some).

If by ulterior you mean marketing and PR, then sure. But not in the pejorative sense that it's most oft used. Again, just business.

Quote:
I am willing to accept what they say for what is regardless of contributing factors.

What they original stated was a lot more vanilla and could be interpreted to mean they didn't want to be overshadowed by Jobs passing. The All Things D update makes it more specific to a time mourning.

Quote:
What is to be gained by believing the worst in a gesture like like this?

How finding the truth the worst? How is looking for the happy answer and ignoring all other options ever good except to ease one's own soul?

Quote:
What is to be lost, by accepting what they say as being what they say it is?

What is to be gained from not looking at all possibilities?

Quote:
There are times in life when it does't need to be a zero-sum game.

Don't hate the player

Quote:
Have you ever done something for someone with no thought of repayment or recognition... I'm sure we all have?

Do you not feel better when you do for others? Is that not a gain in and of itself?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #93 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

About 18mm thick. The thinnest average points are 9mm but that does not count hte large camera bulge or the curved features.

I'm giving it a pass on the curvature so I'd say it's about 13mm at the camera bulge.

I'm liking the curve in the photo but I do wonder about its over effectiveness in real world use.
post #94 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Cupcake (1.5), Donut (1.6), Eclair (2.0-2.1), Froyo (2.2), Gingerbread (2.3), Honeycomb (3.0-3.2), Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0), Jellybean (4.x), Key Lime Pie (rumor)...

Froyo?

Cheysdan, Boscre, Mustrak, ChunkMunk, Kriskre, CookDoh…

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #95 of 193
Quote:

Evil? It's not good or evil, it's business. Stopping a product because someone died simply doesn't make sense from a business perspective unless there are other business-realted reasons involved. Apple didn't stop their event when Jobs was on his death bed. Apple isn't stopping the preorders and releases of products because Jobs passed away. Last time I checked Apple is a lot closer to Jobs than some Ice Cream Sandwich OS update.

I had mentioned in another thread that I thought Google and Samsung were rushing ICS and the Prime out on the 11th to dampen the 4S sales on the 14th (of course)... and, because of this, I also thought it would turn out to be a mess because of the rush to market, like the Moto Xoom.

So... when I read this I have to admit that it definitely crossed my mind that G & S had found a way out of their dilemma and didn't have to lose face.

Hey... it seems as if nothing has bothered Samsung to date... why have a conscience now... unless this was strictly Google's doing... who knows...
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #96 of 193
Quote:

Dude let it go. People on the forum know you hate Google and Samsung. We get it, you think they have ulterior motives. Are you getting paid to speak the Apple gospel? I doubt it.

I get the impression if you were younger you'd be the kid beating on other kids with Android handsets.

Move on.
post #97 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

I think someone else above nailed it: The funeral will overlap their marketing message, so they moved it.

Steve's funeral will be a very small, private affair, no media whatsoever. The guy lived an ultra-private personal life; his wife would never let the media stomp around.

Apple will probably have some sort of internal memorial service, however I'd expect it to be for current employees only.
post #98 of 193
Dear Apple,

We'd like to keep stealing your ideas. We'll just push our event out a little out of respect for the guy we stole them from.

Thanks for all the great stuff.

Sincerely,
Google
post #99 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Dear Apple,

We'd like to keep stealing your ideas. We'll just push our event out a little out of respect for the guy we stole them from.

Thanks for all the great stuff.

Sincerely,
Google

Taking potshots at the people respecting the death of others is just disrespectful as taking potshots at those who died.
TalkAndroid anyone?
TalkAndroid anyone?
post #100 of 193
deleted
post #101 of 193
Quote:

I'm giving it a pass on the curvature so I'd say it's about 13mm at the camera bulge.

I'm liking the curve in the photo but I do wonder about its over effectiveness in real world use.

Is it "teardrop" shaped? Maybe they copied the "iPhone 5".
post #102 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

We can hope, but then there's the Westboro Baptist Church and their insane agenda:
http://digitallife.today.com/_news/2...e-jobs-funeral

Steve's funeral will be so small and private that Westboro Baptist Church will have no idea of where it is. It won't be broadcast to the media. Heck, there certainly won't be a funeral cortege.

It'll be 50-100 people who respected and protected his privacy over the years. These aren't blabby people.
post #103 of 193
Actually, the launch postponement might be a media attention related thing, but nothing to do with a funeral.

Apple is announcing Q4 earnings after the markets close on Tuesday the 18th. Whatever they announce will overshadow anything else that happens in business that day, and will likely bring up a bunch of rehashes about Steve's impact on Apple and big business in general.

A product announcement on the same day would be totally buried.
post #104 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Is it "teardrop" shaped? Maybe they copied the "iPhone 5".

Nah, it looks curved, but unlike the previous curved design the actual touchscreen looks curved, not just the glass capping the top and bottom.
post #105 of 193
Quote:

Nah, it looks curved, but unlike the previous curved design the actual touchscreen looks curved, not just the glass capping the top and bottom.

It looks like something that would snap really easily if you put too much pressure on both ends at the same time.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #106 of 193
Quote:

I'm inclined to think that this cancellation is more about Steve's death overshadowing this event, than it being out of respect. They want to grab all the headlines, rather than be largely ignored by the media at this time.

Bingo. And its obvious to anyone who takes a moment to think about it.
post #107 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

Ah, sh**-talking the competition trying to pay respect, claiming other motives. Steve would be proud.

Says the shit talking fanroid who's never taken Apple at their word for anything.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #108 of 193
Are you people suggesting that Google and Samsung had such contempt for Apple and Steve that none of the higher ups (whom openly praised Steve) actually may be doing this out of respect to Steve?

I never really knew how deep your collective hatred of anything not Apple was until now.

It really is pathetic.
post #109 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

Taking potshots at the people respecting the death of others is just disrespectful as taking potshots at those who died.

No, actually, it's not. As any sane person giving it a moment's thought would realize.
post #110 of 193
Hi i must admit is it me or is this bitter sweet.

I mean the same company Google and especially (Eric E. Schmidt) stole all Apple ideas while he was on the board (Android, and Google Music Store, Apps, Idea). And now Google want to pay respect ?!!

Google is so full of crap a while a go they said beacuse Apple and others got all those patents etc, top bidder. 'It stops innovation' there words. And month later they buy Motorola - they are snakes and are never happy with dominating search, YouTube, Android they always want more... I bet Steve was a good friend at the start of Google and when Schmidt stabbed Apple in the back... He must have felt shocked and disappointed like back in the day when Gates did the same.

And with regards to Samsung who has just copied the iPhone - well if they want to show respect 'fess up and drop the lawsuit against Apple' and just admit you copied iPhone, iPad, and pay.

Countries around the world are in a recession, yet all these tech companies spending billions in lawsuits - just wish judge would bring sense. Samsung copied Apple, Google nicked Java (Oracle needs payment). Obama tell the other USA companies to drop lawsuits and create wealth instead.

The best respect these companies can do is pay up to Apple for pioneering this stuff and bringing it to the masses - and most respect to Steve would be taking it beyond 400, 420 it deserves to be the biggest tech company for sure.. with IBM
post #111 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Are you people suggesting that Google and Samsung had such contempt for Apple and Steve that none of the higher ups (whom openly praised Steve) actually may be doing this out of respect to Steve?

I never really knew how deep your collective hatred of anything not Apple was until now.

It really is pathetic.

No, what's pathetic is your continued need to hang around people you loath so you can tell them so. I can't even begin to fathom the depth of the disfunction.

I've asked you before, but surely there are places on the web where people you admire and respect discuss things so you can have that positive energy in your life? Do you hate yourself? Do you hate your life? I can't think of any other reasons for going out of my way to hang out with people I have contempt for.
post #112 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusey View Post

Hi i must admit is it me or is this bitter sweet.

I mean the same company Google and especially (Eric E. Schmidt) stole all Apple ideas while he was on the board (Android, and Google Music Store, Apps, Idea). And now Google want to pay respect ?!!

Google is so full of crap a while a go they said beacuse Apple and others got all those patents etc, top bidder. 'It stops innovation' there words. And month later they buy Motorola - they are snakes and are never happy with dominating search, YouTube, Android they always want more... I bet Steve was a good friend at the start of Google and when Schmidt stabbed Apple in the back... He must have felt shocked and disappointed like back in the day when Gates did the same.

And with regards to Samsung who has just copied the iPhone - well if they want to show respect 'fess up and drop the lawsuit against Apple' and just admit you copied iPhone, iPad, and pay.

Countries around the world are in a recession, yet all these tech companies spending billions in lawsuits - just wish judge would bring sense. Samsung copied Apple, Google nicked Java (Oracle needs payment). Obama tell the other USA companies to drop lawsuits and create wealth instead.

The best respect these companies can do is pay up to Apple for pioneering this stuff and bringing it to the masses - and most respect to Steve would be taking it beyond 400, 420 it deserves to be the biggest tech company for sure.. with IBM

lol another one suggesting that Schmidt managed to steal Apple's ideas and then get away Scott free..

You people make me laugh.
post #113 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

lol another one suggesting that Schmidt managed to steal Apple's ideas and then get away Scott free..

You people make me laugh.

Aren't there people that make you laugh with delight that you could track down? Instead of snorting with derision? Imagine if you met someone and they explained that they always try to find the stupidest group of losers they could find to spend time with, so they could have a good old laugh at their expense over and over and over. Imagine how sorry you'd feel for that person.
post #114 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

No, what's pathetic is your continued need to hang around people you loath so you can tell them so. I can't even begin to fathom the depth of the disfunction.

I've asked you before, but surely there are places on the web where people you admire and respect discuss things so you can have that positive energy in your life? Do you hate yourself? Do you hate your life? I can't think of any other reasons for going out of my way to hang out with people I have contempt for.

dude...do me a favor...don't talk to me...your posts have absolutely no substance whatsoever.

I've made many many posts praising Apple products and ideas...I enjoy Apple news. If you can't see that...that's on you.

Just because I don't fellate everything along with you doesn't make me anti anything here. I hate stupid comments and misinformation and as much as I can I will correct any and all misinformation as i see fit.

Get over it, and stop trying to police the damn board.

Pathetic.

PS, what gives you the impression that I loath anyone here? I don't know anyone here...some posts are bothersome, some are humorous, some are informative.

I respond as I see fit.
post #115 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Aren't there people that make you laugh with delight that you could track down? Instead of snorting with derision? Imagine if you met someone and they explained that they always try to find the stupidest group of losers they could find to spend time with, so they could have a good old laugh at their expense over and over and over. Imagine how sorry you'd feel for that person.

lol, to use a bit of urban vernacular...get off my dick.
post #116 of 193
Quote:

I agree
post #117 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

No doubt that you are correct...

...But delaying the preso to remove offensive material [due to Steve's death] is a form of respect...

...And just common courtesy and common sense!

Yeah, I'm being a tad cynical. We know at least Larry Page had a friendship with Jobs before the split over Android and surely there are people at Samsung he has worked closely with. I don't doubt their motives. As someone else mentioned, the event might have overlapped the funeral, which would have been in bad taste.
post #118 of 193
Imagine what the iPhanboys here would say if they didn't postpone the event...lol.

Damned if you do damned if you don't
post #119 of 193
I think it is a nice gesture.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #120 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

They're all devil's food cake.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google, Samsung cancel phone launch event out of respect for Steve Jobs