or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Sony Pictures acquiring movie rights for new Steve Jobs biography
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony Pictures acquiring movie rights for new Steve Jobs biography

post #1 of 56
Thread Starter 
Sony Pictures is reportedly inking a $1 to 3 million deal with Steve Jobs biographer Walter Isaacson to produce a new film profiling the Apple co-founders' life.

According to a report by Deadline, the project aims to produce a film via MG360, a production partnership between producer Mark Gordon and Management 360.

Just days ago, the same blog noted that "the hottest biopic in Hollywood right now has to be based on former Time magazine top editor Walter Isaacsons authorized biography of Steve Jobs being published by Simon & Schuster on November 21st."

Sony's Columbia Pictures has recently produced The Social Network, profiling Mark Zuckerberg's creation of Facebook, and Moneyball, a business-oriented story of the Oakland A's baseball team.

Jobs' new Isaacson biography was originally planned for release next year, but was rescheduled to appear at an earlier date twice, the second time following the announcement that Jobs had succumbed to his health problems.



Jobs was previously profiled in the 1999 made for TV movie, "The Pirates Of Silicon Valley," where he was played by actor Noah Wyle. That summer, Jobs invited Wyle to briefly portray him on stage in a spoof appearance at the beginning of his scheduled keynote at Macworld Expo, before joining the actor on stage to the applause of the audience.

Jobs was also portrayed in the 1996 PBS documentary "Triumph of the Nerds," and its 1998 sequel "Nerds 2.0.1," documenting the development of the Internet. Jobs was also featured in the third episode of the 1992 BBC TV series "The Machine that Changed the World."
post #2 of 56
No. Period.

The only other movie I EVER want to see that features Steve Jobs is Pirates Of Silicon Valley 2, involving the scandal between Steve Jobs and Eric Schmidt as Google steals Android in the days before and year following the release of the first iPhone.

Basically, it's exactly the same as the first movie but with different actors (save for Steve; still Noah Wyle) and different locations.

Schmidt's at Burning Man, gets a call from Steve: YOU'RE STEALING FROM US?!

Classic.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #3 of 56
I would have thought Jobs would have already sold the rights to a Disney owned studio but maybe that's naive thinking on my part.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #4 of 56
Don't really know how I feel about this, but at the same time I'm surprised this hasn't gone to a Disney studio as pointed out above.
post #5 of 56
Too soon, but then again, this is Hollywood.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #6 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I would have thought Jobs would have already sold the rights to a Disney owned studio but maybe that's naive thinking on my part.

I don't think the biography is owned by Jobs (or his estate). I was wondering how long it would be until this happened. Pretty quick. I'm sure it will do very well.

Disney doesn't do biographies and ABC Studios just does TV stuff, so I don't think it makes sense for them to sign up for the rights. I'm sure this will have a budget similar to the Facebook movie. I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of tribute in a future Pixar film, but they don't do biographies either.
post #7 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Too soon, but then again, this is Hollywood.

Yes, so the movie should arrive in 2-5 years. Will that be too soon?
post #8 of 56
I'm open to the movie. It all depends on who's going to be doing it and if it'll be done right.

I would like to see 100% accuracy and not made up scenarios. And since they're basing it on the official biography and not on making shit up like other movies, then hopefully it has a chance at becoming a pretty good movie.

The geek in me would like to see some accurate behind the scenes portrayals of what went on at Apple, like when they were first designing the iPhone or iPad before they got released. I want the whole damn story from beginning to end, told accurately! Make the movie 2.5 hours, I don't mind.

This is not like making a movie about Benjamin Franklin, where everybody died hundreds of years ago. I need 100% accuracy. If Steve Jobs in the movie is sitting at his desk at Apple, then that desk, the room, every last detail must be 100% authentic and exactly the way it was in real life. Zero liberties should be taken with the movie.

And Hollywood, don't make this into a 'social network' type of movie, because I though that was pretty much garbage, boring and unrealistic and Steve Jobs deserves way better than that.
post #9 of 56
This is a great opportunity for Apple, Disney, and Pixar to step in and say to Sony "You know, that's an excellent idea. But since we actually knew the man, we're going to do it."

The thought of Pixar's next film telling the life of Steve Jobs is already making my eyes well.
post #10 of 56
:Those Unholy@wood MF*** are thirsty for easy money already?
:Shameful!
post #11 of 56
They should just wrap the Steve Jobs story and Ender's Game into the same film.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #12 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

This is a great opportunity for Apple, Disney, and Pixar to step in and say to Sony "You know, that's an excellent idea. But since we actually knew the man, we're going to do it."

The thought of Pixar's next film telling the life of Steve Jobs is already making my eyes well.



Make it 10 or more years from today.
His family begged for some privacy. And jobs deserves some respect.
post #13 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

Make it 10 or more years from today.
His family begged for some privacy. And jobs deserves some respect.

Oh, don't give me wrong I by no means mean soon. I just can't see anyone but Pixar telling his story.
post #14 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

His family begged for some privacy. And jobs deserves some respect.

Welcome to show business.
post #15 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

Make it 10 or more years from today.
His family begged for some privacy. And jobs deserves some respect.

I disagree. Begin work on it now, starting today!

Steve Jobs knew that this was going to happen. He was behind the book afterall.
post #16 of 56
I have mixed feelings about this. But anything has got to be better than 'Pirates of Silicon Valley' which was a terrible and factually innacurate pile of shite.
I'm hoping this film rectifies the previous nonsense.
post #17 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I have mixed feelings about this. But anything has got to be better than 'Pirates of Silicon Valley' which was a terrible and factually innacurate pile of shite.
I'm hoping this film the previous nonsense.rectifies

I found POSV entertaining, I've seen it a few times, but you're right, it was probably not very accurate and not very realistic.

Even Steve Jobs must have found POSV funny because Steve Jobs opened a Macworld keynote with the main character from the movie once.
post #18 of 56
No doubt that the life of Steve Jobs warrants a movie, esp. a serious documentary or two. As for a Hollywood biopic, I would guess the qualitative results would be somewhere between god awful and mediocre.
post #19 of 56
Pixar needs to do something, no question.

And they need to do it, not as titled Steve Jobs tribute or biography, but as something different. Where you walk out of the theater & the real story hits you.
post #20 of 56
I think the movies: Ray, Walk the Line, The Social Network
are good examples of what the Steve Jobs movie should be like

The social network was good because aaron sorkin wrote it, not because sony made it. Maybe Sorkin can do Steve's movie.

I dont know who owns the right to Steve's bio, but since it's authorized i hope Steve's estate has influence on the movie rights. I really hope that the movie includes all the scenes from Pirates of Silcon Valley. I REALLY REALLY HOPE THE MOVIE IS MORE THAN 3HRS SO THAT THE STORY IS TOLD WELL, again sorkin would work really well, since he has also proven his abilities with the batman series.
post #21 of 56
With regard to the BBC series mentioned in the AI article, it was called "The Dream Machine" (also the title of the book acompanying the series, "The Machine that Changed the World" was the US release title for the series only, different to the rest of the world), this series was a (VERY) good factual documentary programme about the evolution of the computer. It wasn't even a dramatisation, but a factual documentary, so I really can see no reason for listing or mentioning it in the same breath.
[While 'The Dream Machine' itself is highly worthy of note (it's rare, but try to watch it if you have not seen it), mentioning it is not really relevant to Jobs himself.]
It's what I do.
Reply
It's what I do.
Reply
post #22 of 56
Quote:
=bonklers]The social network was good because aaron sorkin wrote it, not because sony made it. Maybe Sorkin can do Steve's movie.

I thought that movie was bullshit because of the fact that that guy wrote it. I don't want him putting words into Steve Job's mouth. If they get him to do it, then I probably wouldn't even bother seeing it. Totally unrealistic dialogue writing. Complete garbage.
post #23 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I thought that movie was bullshit because of the fact that that guy wrote it. I don't want him putting words into Steve Job's mouth. If they get him to do it, then I probably wouldn't even bother seeing it. Totally unrealistic dialogue writing. Complete garbage.

I misplaced my scorecard.

OK, we hate Aaron Sorkin. Do we hate Sony Pictures?


Microsoft
Google
Samsung
Adobe
Consumer Reports
post #24 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I thought that movie was bullshit because of the fact that that guy wrote it.

Agreed, that would be just as bad as POSV.
post #25 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


This is not like making a movie about Benjamin Franklin, where everybody died hundreds of years ago. I need 100% accuracy. If Steve Jobs in the movie is sitting at his desk at Apple, then that desk, the room, every last detail must be 100% authentic and exactly the way it was in real life. Zero liberties should be taken with the movie.

And Hollywood, don't make this into a 'social network' type of movie, because I though that was pretty much garbage, boring and unrealistic and Steve Jobs deserves way better than that.

A person's life cannot be accurately portrayed in a 3-hour movie. So characters and events are always consolidated and in the interests of the narrative arc as well as the filmmaker's and writers' egos, things are always changed. And that's aside from the fact that the actors are almost always far better looking than the actual people they're portraying. I can't think of a single film biography that was completely accurate and some were so far from the historical record as to be laughable. Whether it's the Kennedys, Richard Nixon, Thomas Edison, Mark Zuckerberg, Malcom X, Harry Houdini, Gandhi, Mohammed Ali, Ray Charles or Leonard Chess and the Chess Records blues artists, it might be thematically accurate, but it's never historically accurate, even when truth is stranger (and therefore better) than fiction.

Film biogs also don't do that well commercially, so I'm not convinced this film will actually get made in the end. There are tons of announcements like this, yet the films eventually go into "turnaround". Over the years, I've read of supposed film biogs of Jimi Hendrix and Otis Redding and there were supposed to be two competing film bios of Janis Joplin and none of them ever got made. (Not that I'm comparing those musicians to Steve Jobs). And even if it got made, this could wind up as an HBO TV movie rather than a feature film.

And this could be an "option" that Sony is buying rather than a deal to actually make the film and it's just getting over-hyped in the wake of Steve's unfortunate passing. Frankly, I'd rather see a new extended documentary put together than a dramatic effort. I don't think I could take it if someone like Ashton Kutcher was chosen to play Steve and Jack Black or Zach Galifianakis was chosen to play Woz.
post #26 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

Make it 10 or more years from today.
His family begged for some privacy. And jobs deserves some respect.

I was thinking the same, but I don't think the family is legally relevant.. Sony is working with the author... then again, maybe (HOPEFULLY) the family has some leverage over Isaacson and they can proxy their wishes through him.

still.. this piece made me sick. it's barely been 48 hours.
post #27 of 56
Think I will wait for the opera. What a great production that would make.
post #28 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They should just wrap the Steve Jobs story and Ender's Game into the same film.

I'd be interested to know how you see that working. Are you saying you think Steve Jobs is just like Ender? Or is that a roundabout way of saying you hope this never actually gets released?
post #29 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadMac View Post

Think I will wait for the opera. What a great production that would make.

I'm not sure if I could handle Jony Ive or Phil Schiller singing an aria...
post #30 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

.....the Kennedys, Richard Nixon, Thomas Edison, Mark Zuckerberg, Malcom X, Harry Houdini, Gandhi, Mohammed Ali, Ray Charles or Leonard Chess ....

Hmmm.... a younger Ben Kingsley might actually have been a perfect Steve Jobs!
post #31 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadMac View Post

Think I will wait for the opera. What a great production that would make.

Brilliant.

I am willing to bet that someone's already on it.
post #32 of 56
Keanu Reeves' comeback?
post #33 of 56
I actually would like to see a movie made, but it would have to be a quality director, like Aronofsky or Soderbergh, and A list actors. The story should be given enough reverence that it is taken seriously and not some caricature or just something slapped together to make money. I believe there is enough in Steve Jobs life to tell a compelling story that we could all learn from. In the right hands the Steve Jobs story could be a great film.
post #34 of 56
Here's my hope for the movie:

Steve Jobs (Keanu Reeves )
John Sculley (Brad Pitt)

[Sculley stumbles into Steve's office with a woman in each arm]

Jobs: Sculley, you are tearing my company to the ground.
Sculley: Yeah and what are you gonna do about it Steve? Apple doesn't need you any more.
Jobs: Don't give me your line of **** John. The board won't side with you.

[Women slowly caress Sculley's head as he stands in the door way]
Sculley: It already did. This company isn't yours anymore.
Jobs: You son of a *****!

[Sculley motions to two big bouncer type guys. The women giggle.]
Sculley: Please escort Mr. Jobs off the premises

[Jobs puts up no resistance but looks at Sculley with a dead stare of shock and sadness]
Jobs: What can I say....I hired the wrong guy.
post #35 of 56
Christian Bale would make the perfect Steve Jobs. He would tear that role up!!!
post #36 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Christian Bale would make the perfect Steve Jobs. He would tear that role up!!!

Oh man! I can see Jobs doing this to the MobileMe team.
http://www.aolcdn.com/tmz_audio/0202...istianbale.mp3 (audio) Here is the Family Guy version with Christian Bale shouting at Peter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oytvlZ5duz0
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #37 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfan View Post

Here's my hope for the movie:

Steve Jobs (Keanu Reeves )
John Sculley (Brad Pitt)

[Sculley stumbles into Steve's office with a woman in each arm]

Jobs: Sculley, you are tearing my company to the ground.
Sculley: Yeah and what are you gonna do about it Steve? Apple doesn't need you any more.
Jobs: Don't give me your line of **** John. The board won't side with you.

[Women slowly caress Sculley's head as he stands in the door way]
Sculley: It already did. This company isn't yours anymore.
Jobs: You son of a *****!

[Sculley motions to two big bouncer type guys. The women giggle.]
Sculley: Please escort Mr. Jobs off the premises

[Jobs puts up no resistance but looks at Sculley with a dead stare of shock and sadness]
Jobs: What can I say....I hired the wrong guy.

You are pitching your script in an AI forum?
post #38 of 56
Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story.

But seriously - I am not convinced this would make a good movie. Maybe the early years? Ending on his return to Apple?


Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

A person's life cannot be accurately portrayed in a 3-hour movie. So characters and events are always consolidated and in the interests of the narrative arc as well as the filmmaker's and writers' egos, things are always changed. And that's aside from the fact that the actors are almost always far better looking than the actual people they're portraying. I can't think of a single film biography that was completely accurate and some were so far from the historical record as to be laughable. Whether it's the Kennedys, Richard Nixon, Thomas Edison, Mark Zuckerberg, Malcom X, Harry Houdini, Gandhi, Mohammed Ali, Ray Charles or Leonard Chess and the Chess Records blues artists, it might be thematically accurate, but it's never historically accurate, even when truth is stranger (and therefore better) than fiction.

Film biogs also don't do that well commercially, so I'm not convinced this film will actually get made in the end. There are tons of announcements like this, yet the films eventually go into "turnaround". Over the years, I've read of supposed film biogs of Jimi Hendrix and Otis Redding and there were supposed to be two competing film bios of Janis Joplin and none of them ever got made. (Not that I'm comparing those musicians to Steve Jobs). And even if it got made, this could wind up as an HBO TV movie rather than a feature film.

And this could be an "option" that Sony is buying rather than a deal to actually make the film and it's just getting over-hyped in the wake of Steve's unfortunate passing. Frankly, I'd rather see a new extended documentary put together than a dramatic effort. I don't think I could take it if someone like Ashton Kutcher was chosen to play Steve and Jack Black or Zach Galifianakis was chosen to play Woz.
post #39 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Steve; still Noah Wyle

Noah Wyle looked like the young Steve Jobs but wouldn't be close to the old Jobs. Maybe Terrence Stamp, although the American accent wouldn't quite be there.

Scott Forstall would of course be played by Steve Buscemi (though Scott keeps trying to change his hairstyle to look less like him) and Schiller by John Goodman. Randy Ubillos could be played by Kiefer Sutherland. Not sure about Jonathan Ive though, he'd probably have to play himself.

I wonder if they will portray his family too. Pity help us if they pick someone like Lisa Kudrow for Laurene. Someone like Heather Graham or Patsy Kensit would be better IMO.

This biography will likely cover a lot of the same ground as the Silicon Valley film but it will be interesting to see how they portray the newer events. I could see this film being more of a documentary style with interviews and real-world footage with only the occasional re-enactment.
post #40 of 56



Ladies and Gentlemen,
Steve Jobs and Mike Khali..oops I mean Sculley
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Sony Pictures acquiring movie rights for new Steve Jobs biography