or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sells out of iPhone 4S for Oct 14th delivery, now quoting 1-2 weeks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple sells out of iPhone 4S for Oct 14th delivery, now quoting 1-2 weeks

post #1 of 238
Thread Starter 
Just 24 hours after opening up pre-orders for the new iPhone 4S, Apple has rolled back expected shipping times for the device from expected delivery on the Oct. 14 launch date to an estimate of 1-2 weeks.

The Apple Online Store changed its pre-order availability for all models of the iPhone 4S early Saturday. Apple had promised to begin taking advance orders for the device at 12:01 Pacific on Friday, but slight hiccups delayed sales for Apple and AT&T.

The company's other two wireless partners in the U.S., Verizon and Sprint, were able to begin pre-orders on time, though some customers reported having trouble completing orders from Apple and carriers alike.

AT&T announced later on Friday that it had received more than 200,000 pre-orders for the smartphone in just 12 hours, a record for the company.

Unveiled on Tuesday, the iPhone 4S features the same external design as the iPhone 4, but adds Siri voice control, a faster A5 processor, an 8-megapixel camera and a new antenna design. Though some have expressed disappointment that the handset did not receive a form factor refresh, Wall Street analysts remain confident that sales of the iPhone 4S will easily top previous records set by the iPhone 4.



Sprint noted on its website late Friday that it had completely sold out of pre-orders for the 16GB iPhone 4S, though, as of early Saturday, the 32GB and 64GB versions were still available for advance purchase. The carrier does, however, state that the 16GB model will be "available in stores on Oct. 14."



Verizon may also have sold out of its initial pre-order allowance of 16GB models. The carrier's website currently lists 16GB models of the iPhone 4S for Oct. 21 delivery. Also, some AppleInsider readers report that orders placed on the Verizon website at 12:01 a.m. on Friday are now estimating delivery on Oct. 21.

Though not a publicly disclosed practice, recent history and evidence supports the fact that Apple allots restricted amounts of devices for its partners to offer on pre-order and at launch.

According to a recent report from The Wall Street Journal, Sprint has basically "bet the company" on the iPhone and has agreed to purchase 30.5 million iPhones over the next four years.

This is the first iPhone launch in the U.S. where Apple has to manage multiple carrier relationships. The issue is also exacerbated by the fact that the iPhone 4S is a "global model" and the same model can work on both CDMA and GSM networks.

For those willing to wait, Apple will release a GSM-unlocked version of the iPhone 4S in November, with 16GB, 326GB and 64GB models selling for $649, $749 and $849, respectively. The company cautions, however, that the unlocked iPhone will not work with CDMA carriers such as Verizon and Sprint.

Apple has had trouble producing enough iPhone and iPad models to match pre-order and launch day demand in recent years. Even the Verizon iPhone 4, which launched 8 months after the GSM iPhone 4 arrived, sold out of pre-orders on the first day on offer.
post #2 of 238
Apparently I was not the only one who bought one.
post #3 of 238
While we on the AI forums tend to think the average person doesn't really pay that much attention to technology, they obviously pay more attention than we sometimes give them credit for. I mean, it seems almost certain the average person isn't having arguments about the meaning of 4G, but they do follow technology enough to know:

1) there is a new iPhone,
2) the new iPhone is better than the old iPhone,
3) the new iPhone, despite what analysts say, is better enough that it's worth whatever hassle that particular person may undergo in order to obtain it under their contracts.

This must be true, since AT&T certainly isn't selling 200,000 iPhones on the average day and this record came about despite the aforementioned analysts downplaying the 4S.
post #4 of 238
Anyone else have trouble with their purchase setting off the fraud alert on their credit card. My order initially went through, but I received an "unable to charge provided card" email about an hour later. After waiting a few hours for AT&T customer service to open, and then another 45 minutes on hold, the nice lady tells me that she's received 33 calls in the last hour for the exact same thing, and it was in fact the bank denying the charges due to suspected fraudulent activity. A quick call to the bank straightened things out, but they couldn't explain to me why a 199 charge to Apple set off the fraud alert, when the several hundred dollars worth of airline tickets I purchased last week didn't. I guess the bank's computers must have shit themselves when they saw so many people spending money all at once on Apple, AT&T, Sprint and Verizon.
post #5 of 238
Boohoo, this doesn't really mean much to me. I'm not impressed at all. I predict that the iPhone is going to not sell well, all of the evidence and facts points in that direction. I think that Apple probably only had a stock of 2,000 phones. As a matter of fact, I think that the iPhone 4S is going to end up on Woot in 7 weeks time. There definitely won't be any people lining up outside any Apple stores, waiting to get this phone. Any intelligent person surely has to agree with that.

I'm holding out for the 'Big Thing' coming soon. It's curved and it kind of reminds me of a deformed penis, so I'm gonna get me that. Yeah, that's the ticket. iOS is too elegant and simple for a big thinker like me. I like to spend at least 3.5 hours every day just changing out the wallpapers on my phone and moving widgets around. Don't laugh at me, and no I'm not gay, but I already bought a man purse to go along with my lovely ice cream sandwich phone that I'm getting soon.
post #6 of 238
Makes sense. For ~50% of iPhone owners it's a no-brainer upgrade (non-iPhone 4 owners) and some studies show about 89% of them want another iPhone. Most of them are eligible for a subsidized upgrade or can switch carriers.

I got my iPhone 4 a bit late (almost exactly 1yr ago) but I still went for the 4S because I was able to re-sell my iPhone 4 for $400. So it's a $50 upgrade for me (plus 2 year contract that I would have either way) and I'll just repeat it when the iPhone 5 comes out. If I get even $350 for the 4S next year the iPhone 5 will only cost me $200. Only downside if you do this is you gotta be pretty committed to your carrier because you're renewing your 2 year contract a year early each time.
post #7 of 238
Just waiting for the trolling questions about "but how many have they actually sold?"

All of them. That's all you need to know.
post #8 of 238
About 2 million units sold in the first day across 7 countries is my estimate.

edit: @ DaveMcM7, All of them, indeed.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

While we on the AI forums tend to think the average person doesn't really pay that much attention to technology, they obviously pay more attention than we sometimes give them credit for. I mean, it seems almost certain the average person isn't having arguments about the meaning of 4G, but they do follow technology enough to know:

1) there is a new iPhone,
2) the new iPhone is better than the old iPhone,
3) the new iPhone, despite what analysts say, is better enough that it's worth whatever hassle that particular person may undergo in order to obtain it under their contracts.

This must be true, since AT&T certainly isn't selling 200,000 iPhones on the average day and this record came about despite the aforementioned analysts downplaying the 4S.

Nice post and good point. I know several people who purchased the iPhone 4S today that I would describe as generally techtarded. Very few technically inclined people I know bought the new iPhone today but that's mainly because they have the iPhone 4 and have a month before they are upgrade eligible. I'm one of them.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Boohoo, this doesn't really mean much to me. I'm not impressed at all. I predict that the iPhone is going to not sell well, all of the evidence and facts points in that direction. I think that Apple probably only had a stock of 2,000 phones. As a matter of fact, I think that the iPhone 4S is going to end up on Woot in 7 weeks time. There definitely won't be any people lining up outside any Apple stores, waiting to get this phone. Any intelligent person surely has to agree with that.

I'm holding out for the 'Big Thing' coming soon. It's curved and it kind of reminds me of a deformed penis, so I'm gonna get me that. Yeah, that's the ticket. iOS is too elegant and simple for a big thinker like me. I like to spend at least 3.5 hours every day just changing out the wallpapers on my phone and moving widgets around. Don't laugh at me, and no I'm not gay, but I already bought a man purse to go along with my lovely ice cream sandwich phone that I'm getting soon.

Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #9 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Boohoo, this doesn't really mean much to me. I'm not impressed at all. I predict that the iPhone is going to not sell well, all of the evidence and facts points in that direction. I think that Apple probably only had a stock of 2,000 phones. As a matter of fact, I think that the iPhone 4S is going to end up on Woot in 7 weeks time. There definitely won't be any people lining up outside any Apple stores, waiting to get this phone. Any intelligent person surely has to agree with that.

I'm holding out for the 'Big Thing' coming soon. It's curved and it kind of reminds me of a deformed penis, so I'm gonna get me that. Yeah, that's the ticket. iOS is too elegant and simple for a big thinker like me. I like to spend at least 3.5 hours every day just changing out the wallpapers on my phone and moving widgets around. Don't laugh at me, and no I'm not gay, but I already bought a man purse to go along with my lovely ice cream sandwich phone that I'm getting soon.

Well played sir. Well played. :golf clap:

The best phone on the market got much better. Why did folks think it wouldn't sell?
post #10 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Well played sir. Well played. :golf clap:

The best phone on the market got much better. Why did folks think it wouldn't sell?

That sounds like an ad tagline: "The best phone on the market just got better."
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #11 of 238
I managed to order my iPhone from Apples website within 10 mins of it going live yesterday. Never pre ordered a product from Apple before, in the past I've always queued up outside my local Apple store.

Does anyone know from previous experience if I'm likely to get the phone on release date?

Not sure if the UK is different to the US.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #12 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I managed to order my iPhone from Apples website within 10 mins of it going live yesterday. Never pre ordered a product from Apple before, in the past I've always queued up outside my local Apple store.

Does anyone know from previous experience if I'm likely to get the phone on release date?

Not sure if the UK is different to the US.

I can't speak for the UK but in the US getting your iPhone delivered the day before the official launch has happened on more than one occasion though I can't recall which years that occurred.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #13 of 238
Gave up on apple last night, ordered through AT&T.

It's processing and they charged my card already, I hope I get it next week.
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
post #14 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm holding out for the 'Big Thing' coming soon. It's curved and it kind of reminds me of a deformed penis, so I'm gonna get me that. Yeah, that's the ticket. iOS is too elegant and simple for a big thinker like me. I like to spend at least 3.5 hours every day just changing out the wallpapers on my phone and moving widgets around. Don't laugh at me, and no I'm not gay, but I already bought a man purse to go along with my lovely ice cream sandwich phone that I'm getting soon.

Me too. I also made sure my men's purse included a second battery to last the ride the next power outlet as well as a not to heavy fridge to keep my device cool.
post #15 of 238
This would be one of the funniest facts for a long time - if true. Can't someone with good connections at Wall Street or somewhere just check it out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Anyone else have trouble with their purchase setting off the fraud alert on their credit card. My order initially went through, but I received an "unable to charge provided card" email about an hour later. After waiting a few hours for AT&T customer service to open, and then another 45 minutes on hold, the nice lady tells me that she's received 33 calls in the last hour for the exact same thing, and it was in fact the bank denying the charges due to suspected fraudulent activity. A quick call to the bank straightened things out, but they couldn't explain to me why a 199 charge to Apple set off the fraud alert, when the several hundred dollars worth of airline tickets I purchased last week didn't. I guess the bank's computers must have shit themselves when they saw so many people spending money all at once on Apple, AT&T, Sprint and Verizon.
post #16 of 238
Again great marketing by apple. They knew they were under pressure to sell big given the success of Android. How do you sell big at launch? Delay your product to greatly increase the number of iPhone fans with expired contracts. Then you promote your sales figures to play up your product.

Six months from now we will have a much better idea of the success of the new phone.
post #17 of 238
Clever indeed.

Create a phone that has zero detrimental effect on XMAS iPad sales, then 6 months later introduce the 'must have' bigger flashier iPhone.

Win Win.
post #18 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

Again great marketing by apple. They knew they were under pressure to sell big given the success of Android. How do you sell big at launch? Delay your product to greatly increase the number of iPhone fans with expired contracts. Then you promote your sales figures to play up your product.

Six months from now we will have a much better idea of the success of the new phone.

You really think they could have sold the iPhone 4S back in June but held off to get iPhone users off of contracts? Besides that not making a lick of financial sense I don't know of a single AT&T user that had the 3GS that was on contract come this past June or an iPhone 4 user that is off their contract until mid-November so if you could clarify your position I'd appreciate it.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #19 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You really think they could have sold the iPhone 4S back in June but held off to get iPhone users off of contracts? Besides that not making a lick of financial sense I don't know of a single AT&T user that had the 3GS that was on contract come this past June or an iPhone 4 user that is off their contract until mid-November so if you could clarify your position I'd appreciate it.

Android will only be a competitor of apple when its users are app users...i think as times goes on the android users some will move as they learn more about smart phones..not all but think about it..do u sell any apple users moving back to windows..and i think android could suffer from that and windows mobile...dont see it catching up ever..
post #20 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Anyone else have trouble with their purchase setting off the fraud alert on their credit card.

It didn't this time, which is strange. I usually get a call from my credit card company any time I spend more than £100 with Apple. Apple seems to be on their shit list, along with other electronics retailers. Ordering the iPhone 4S went smoothly though and no-one called me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I managed to order my iPhone from Apples website within 10 mins of it going live yesterday. Never pre ordered a product from Apple before, in the past I've always queued up outside my local Apple store.

Does anyone know from previous experience if I'm likely to get the phone on release date?

You should get it on release day. iPad 2 pre-orders started at 1-2 weeks and took ages to ship. However iPhone 4S pre-orders stated "ships for 14th October" and didn't slip to 1-2 weeks until about midday in the UK.
post #21 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

You should get it on release day. iPad 2 pre-orders started at 1-2 weeks and took ages to ship. However iPhone 4S pre-orders stated "ships for 14th October" and didn't slip to 1-2 weeks until about midday in the UK.

I thought that too at first, but my email confirmation says shipped "by" 14th of October...

Hope it arrives on launch day, can't wait to get rid of my 3GS!
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #22 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I managed to order my iPhone from Apples website within 10 mins of it going live yesterday. Never pre ordered a product from Apple before, in the past I've always queued up outside my local Apple store.

Does anyone know from previous experience if I'm likely to get the phone on release date?

Not sure if the UK is different to the US.

Go to Order Status in your confirmation email and check the ship date.
post #23 of 238
@ 2358 hrs. PDT on 10/06 (Naval Observatory time), I found the iPhone 4S buy options were working here in San Diego County, CA when I logged onto our Verizon account. We were offered a $100 credit on our main phone number (eligible back in 2005) and a discounted price on both of them (other 1 eligible back in 2004). I ordered a black 64GB for My Bride & a white 64GB for me. I paid with a Master Card and got my confirmation number with the Deliver By date of 10/14 printed on it. I logged off @ 0021 hrs. PDT. I received the confirmation email msg. several hours later. I was a little stunned to see that Verizon charged us San Diego sales tax on the unsubsidized price of $849.99 each! The monthly charge is estimated to be $134.99 with the plan set up as we have it. This is 118% above what we were paying until now for voice only!

I am upset that Verizon never offered me the option of AppleCare + anywhere in the process, including under Accessories!

I bought a new retail boxed Jawbone ERA Midnight earphone today for us on Amazon for $67.95. It should arrive about the time the iPhones get here. Next up is a trip to our local Apple Store to get the Apple Care+ X2. It was also not available for purchase anywhere on the Apple Store site!? Finally, we have to get some reasonably protective cases for these new toys!

I am a 1st 100 Days Macintosh Owner and a retired PC Networked Systems Manager, so I do know & love the Apple Way. We also have 2 ea. iPad 2 64GB & 2 MacBook Pro's which we love & have fun with. We are SO looking forward to iOS 5!
post #24 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Boohoo, this doesn't really mean much to me. I'm not impressed at all. I predict that the iPhone is going to not sell well, all of the evidence and facts points in that direction. I think that Apple probably only had a stock of 2,000 phones. As a matter of fact, I think that the iPhone 4S is going to end up on Woot in 7 weeks time. There definitely won't be any people lining up outside any Apple stores, waiting to get this phone. Any intelligent person surely has to agree with that.

You smoke some strange kind of crack dude! All the evidence would suggest that AT&T alone had a stock of 200,000 phones. And the evidence also points out that the others have sold out of all their initial unit allocations. Regardless of your personal thoughts, Apple had made at least 100 TIMES what you said they probably had.

Come back when you have a clue! Saving this one for claim chowder!
post #25 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Nice post and good point. I know several people who purchased the iPhone 4S today that I would describe as generally techtarded. Very few technically inclined people I know bought the new iPhone today but that's mainly because they have the iPhone 4 and have a month before they are upgrade eligible. I'm one of them.

So you say people haven't bought it because they're technically minded, but then fully acknowledge the fact that (more likely the case) it's because they already have an iPhone 4 and are tied into contracts. It's almost certainly the latter, rather than the former.

Make your point and immediately cancel it out. Great debating skills there.
post #26 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

Again great marketing by apple. They knew they were under pressure to sell big given the success of Android.

Apple, under pressure? They have the single biggest selling smartphone in the market. Honestly, some people!
post #27 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Anyone else have trouble with their purchase setting off the fraud alert on their credit card. My order initially went through, but I received an "unable to charge provided card" email about an hour later. After waiting a few hours for AT&T customer service to open, and then another 45 minutes on hold, the nice lady tells me that she's received 33 calls in the last hour for the exact same thing, and it was in fact the bank denying the charges due to suspected fraudulent activity. A quick call to the bank straightened things out, but they couldn't explain to me why a 199 charge to Apple set off the fraud alert, when the several hundred dollars worth of airline tickets I purchased last week didn't. I guess the bank's computers must have shit themselves when they saw so many people spending money all at once on Apple, AT&T, Sprint and Verizon.

I did recently see an article regarding fraud involving Apple iPhones - so yes it might be credit card companies are being overly cautious.


In other news Analysts report that Apple's iPhone 4S announcement is lackluster and disappointing and is sure to spell the end of the iPhone's allure and dominance as a sought after smartphone (what's that? pre-orders sold out in 12 minutes), what I meant to say was that Analysts report that Apple has another huge success on their hands and will continue to steam roll over the competition with their latest uber-phone, yeah, that's the ticket, and I'm married to Morgan Fairchild, yeah, that't the ticket.
post #28 of 238
Quote:
Anyone else have trouble with their purchase setting off the fraud alert on their credit card.

I had this problem. Ordered around 6 am EST yesterday from ATT. Of course Chase (my bank) decided to block the charges so around 1pm I got an email from ATT, basically it says call or the order will vanish. No word on wether you would lose you place in the que. Tried calling but just couldn't get through. Went on online to the Apple store, they still had it for Oct 14th delivery so I purchased it. No problems yet.

Side note: Chase has outsourced virtually all of their security functions. They SUCK. Have had constant problems ordering from the Apple store, despite them being someone I buy from once a month or more. I bought a mac pro....the charge went through, but apparently the monitor shipped from a separate warehouse so they charged it a day later when it shipped....DENIED!

Side Side note: ATT is trying to rape you on text rates. Used to have a $5 plan that met my needs. Despite upgrading to their 4GB data plan, the ONLY plan for text is $20 a month. I think I can text other people with iOS devices, but when my awesome bank or ATT themselves texts me I guess I get to pay $.20 per text.
post #29 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

Again great marketing by apple. They knew they were under pressure to sell big given the success of Android. How do you sell big at launch? Delay your product to greatly increase the number of iPhone fans with expired contracts. Then you promote your sales figures to play up your product.

This is, of course, absurd. It would make absolutely zero sense for Apple to delay the release if the 4S if it was actually ready. If Apple had released it 6 months ago, they have the same number of sales in a year - but without the stock-out problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

Six months from now we will have a much better idea of the success of the new phone.

We already have some idea. At least at AT&T, sales set a record - even exceeding the iPhone 4 which was the top selling smartphone of all time.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #30 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Well played sir. Well played. :golf clap:

The best phone on the market got much better. Why did folks think it wouldn't sell?

You mean the same "folks" who predict doom and gloom with every Apple product release? Those "folkers?"
post #31 of 238
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Boohoo, this doesn't really mean much to me. I'm not impressed at all. I predict that the iPhone is going to not sell well, all of the evidence and facts points in that direction. I think that Apple probably only had a stock of 2,000 phones. As a matter of fact, I think that the iPhone 4S is going to end up on Woot in 7 weeks time. There definitely won't be any people lining up outside any Apple stores, waiting to get this phone. Any intelligent person surely has to agree with that.

I'm holding out for the 'Big Thing' coming soon. It's curved and it kind of reminds me of a deformed penis, so I'm gonna get me that. Yeah, that's the ticket. iOS is too elegant and simple for a big thinker like me. I like to spend at least 3.5 hours every day just changing out the wallpapers on my phone and moving widgets around. Don't laugh at me, and no I'm not gay, but I already bought a man purse to go along with my lovely ice cream sandwich phone that I'm getting soon.
post #32 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I managed to order my iPhone from Apples website within 10 mins of it going live yesterday. Never pre ordered a product from Apple before, in the past I've always queued up outside my local Apple store.

Does anyone know from previous experience if I'm likely to get the phone on release date?

Not sure if the UK is different to the US.

I believe that last year some people were getting their iPhone orders a day or two early. I think Apple let the delivery carries go early due to immense volume. I think I remember hearing though that people who got it early were unable to activate the phone until release day though, but I may have dreamt that part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

You smoke some strange kind of crack dude! All the evidence would suggest that AT&T alone had a stock of 200,000 phones. And the evidence also points out that the others have sold out of all their initial unit allocations. Regardless of your personal thoughts, Apple had made at least 100 TIMES what you said they probably had.

Come back when you have a clue! Saving this one for claim chowder!

It's called sarcasm. I know it doesn't always come across clearly in text, but this was pretty over the top.
post #33 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That sounds like an ad tagline: "The best phone on the market just got better."

Surely you meant to write: The best phone in the world just got better

I ordered two 32GB white iP4S two hours after the UK store started taking pre-orders, and had fun all day trying to sort things out. At one point I had three phones on three separate orders when you're only allowed two. Trying to access my account, I first got an "Oops" message and then the Post-It note saying that the store was being updated.

Eventually called the after-sales number, spoke to a lovely lady out of Apple's call centre in Austin TX, who deleted one of the orders. Woke up Saturday morning and my confirmation emails were waiting for me with a message: Dispatched: Ships by October 14th

Just waiting for the next email which will allow me to track my packages once they're out for delivery -- I hope they arrive by the 12th when iOS5 is being released.
post #34 of 238
For the Android lovers: Sounds like you guys really have a dislike for the iPhone dudes. So why waste your time at AppleInsider? Get with Apple losers.
post #35 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Boohoo, this doesn't really mean much to me. I'm not impressed at all. I predict that the iPhone is going to not sell well, all of the evidence and facts points in that direction. I think that Apple probably only had a stock of 2,000 phones. As a matter of fact, I think that the iPhone 4S is going to end up on Woot in 7 weeks time. There definitely won't be any people lining up outside any Apple stores, waiting to get this phone. Any intelligent person surely has to agree with that.

I'm holding out for the 'Big Thing' coming soon. It's curved and it kind of reminds me of a deformed penis, so I'm gonna get me that. Yeah, that's the ticket. iOS is too elegant and simple for a big thinker like me. I like to spend at least 3.5 hours every day just changing out the wallpapers on my phone and moving widgets around. Don't laugh at me, and no I'm not gay, but I already bought a man purse to go along with my lovely ice cream sandwich phone that I'm getting soon.

That was one of your very best. Made my morning - thank you.
post #36 of 238
I have two iPhones thru AT&T's Family Talk Plan and pay AT&T about $180 monthly total. I got my iPhone 4 the first week it came out last summer, and I was already eligible for a discounted upgrade. Since I was only upgrading one of the two phones (my wife's 3G), plus changing from the plan with 700 minutes to the 550 minute plan, I didn't even try to do it online. Every year I just update our oldest phone to the newest one, then if necessary switch the numbers so that I have the newest one. So, I'm already all set to do that even if one comes out before next summer. There is simply no way I'm ever not going to have the latest iPhone.

I just went to an AT&T store at about 10:30 AM - only took 30 minutes, but I had already missed the Oct. 14 delivery. They quoted me 2-3 weeks. However, I did get to keep my grandfathered unlimited data plan.

They were pushing the fact that in contrast to what I've read online, the 4S does have a slightly different camera lens area which did require a different case from the ones for the iPhone4. They had several pages of some to order, but I declined.

I originally was not happy with AT&T, but the service is much better now in my area. I'm not willing to give up simultaneous web/talk, and I read that Sprint's data access is slower, so I didn't really even consider switching.
post #37 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

While we on the AI forums tend to think the average person doesn't really pay that much attention to technology,

"WE"

Speak for yourself please. I have never believed that the average person doesn't pay attention to technology. I know they do.

What they don't pay attention to is sites like this screaming that something is lame, a pathetic 'update' and whatever else the 4s was called because folks here bought the rumors about the unicorn powered iPhone 5 that had everything and the kitchen sink in a paper thin body


Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Does anyone know from previous experience if I'm likely to get the phone on release date?

Not sure if the UK is different to the US.

It is probably similar. They will have made a deal with the UK delivery service to hold the phones until they need to go out to show up on the 14th to a location. And the service does its best. Sometimes it's a day early, sometimes a day late. but for most folks it will hit on the 14th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

Again great marketing by apple. They knew they were under pressure to sell big given the success of Android. How do you sell big at launch? Delay your product to greatly increase the number of iPhone fans with expired contracts. Then you promote your sales figures to play up your product.

Six months from now we will have a much better idea of the success of the new phone.

1. there is no pressure. They don't care what Android does as long as it isn't copying their IP. This is the Steve Way. It has been drilled into them on a level of cultism
2. they likely didn't delay to increase sales but to reset the calendar because iPhones sell way better than iPods and it gives better numbers for the start of their fiscal year.
3. Apple doesn't promote sales figures for any purpose than the fact that they sold something. They don't give out 'sales' to resellers like Samsung does, making it sound like that many end users got the product. In fact they never talk about sales to ATT etc. They talk about the sales from their stores to users. Period.
4. We won't need 6 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBeliefSystem View Post


Create a phone that has zero detrimental effect on XMAS iPad sales,

different audience.

the only connection this phone will have with iPads is fueling rumors

Quote:

then 6 months later introduce the 'must have' bigger flashier iPhone.

not likely 6 months. This is probably a permanent move in the release calendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

It didn't this time, which is strange. I usually get a call from my credit card company any time I spend more than £100 with Apple. Apple seems to be on their shit list, along with other electronics retailers.

as recent articles have said, Apple is a prime target for stolen cards and numbers. Folks use them to get all kinds of products to sell overseas etc


Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

I did recently see an article regarding fraud involving Apple iPhones

not just iPhones. It's everything. Gift Cards, power chargers etc even

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #38 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

"WE"

Speak for yourself please. I have never believed that the average person doesn't pay attention to technology. I know they do.

What they don't pay attention to is sites like this screaming that something is lame, a pathetic 'update' and whatever else the 4s was called because folks here bought the rumors about the unicorn powered iPhone 5 that had everything and the kitchen sink in a paper thin body

As I said before my twitter feed was annoyed. Plenty of normal people using twitter for iPhone follow these annoucements.

Nevertheless they, like me, will get an iPhone 4S. There is no doubt the internals are solid. I would have preferred a different form factor, as I think that "brands" better. But I have a 3GS now, and i will buy the 4S. Thats a no brainer.

Frankly if the 5 comes out in less than a year, which I suspect, then i will also get that.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #39 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Boohoo, this doesn't really mean much to me. I'm not impressed at all. I predict that the iPhone is going to not sell well, all of the evidence and facts points in that direction. I think that Apple probably only had a stock of 2,000 phones. As a matter of fact, I think that the iPhone 4S is going to end up on Woot in 7 weeks time. There definitely won't be any people lining up outside any Apple stores, waiting to get this phone. Any intelligent person surely has to agree with that.

I'm holding out for the 'Big Thing' coming soon. It's curved and it kind of reminds me of a deformed penis, so I'm gonna get me that. Yeah, that's the ticket. iOS is too elegant and simple for a big thinker like me. I like to spend at least 3.5 hours every day just changing out the wallpapers on my phone and moving widgets around. Don't laugh at me, and no I'm not gay, but I already bought a man purse to go along with my lovely ice cream sandwich phone that I'm getting soon.

And who am I______?
post #40 of 238
But back to the main topic. We are told they have been producing since early August. Apple, contrary to popular rumour, dont like shortages. In particular these days when Android is pulling ahead, less so. They want to sell what they can.

So this means there has been extraordinary demand. Which is crap for me as I really want a phone.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple sells out of iPhone 4S for Oct 14th delivery, now quoting 1-2 weeks
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sells out of iPhone 4S for Oct 14th delivery, now quoting 1-2 weeks