or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sells out of iPhone 4S for Oct 14th delivery, now quoting 1-2 weeks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple sells out of iPhone 4S for Oct 14th delivery, now quoting 1-2 weeks - Page 4

post #121 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

So much for your "iPhone 4S failed to impress" theory.

Yeah. Funny how all the Apple haters are not longer spouting that nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I doubt that moving the release date from early Summer to early Fall was the result of "hardware issues" (or due to agreements with Verizon). I think it's most likely that they wanted to separate the iPad and iPhone release dates and that iPod releases alone are not enough to get excited about any longer. The specific date of early October (vs. the usual early September date for iPods) could have been due to ironing out some hardware issue, but it's more likely that it was iOS5/iCloud/Siri development that determined the exact date.

So, I don't think it should be seen as a "delay". I think they made a conscious decision to move the release of the 4S to the Fall and that that determined the development schedule and what got included. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the iPad 3 release date move to June at the WWDC -- i.e., the "prestige" spot formerly occupied by the iPhone. (I would however be surprised to see them release a phone with a larger screen, even after the 3GS is retired.)

How could it be delayed when Apple never announced a ship date?

There are a number of things that could have been the limiting factor in getting this phone ready
- availability of A5 chips in sufficient quantity
- availability of the GSM/CDMA chip with sufficiently low power consumption
- iOS 5
- New camera sensors
or any number of other things. Frankly, no one outside of Apple has any idea, so it's not worth speculating. It was released when Apple was ready to release it. That's all that matters.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #122 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

This deserves a two-week "time out".

If anything deserves it, this post does.

Ahem.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...32#post1961132

Which sounds more like the act vs an expression? I guess spelling a term wrong makes the difference?
post #123 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

There are only so many options - metal interferes with radio transceiving. Apple considers plastic to be cheap. That leaves glass, which is more expensive. Most manufacturers prefer not to spend money on a part that won't show up often in brochures and webpages.

All the more reasons why Apple makes the best products. The last thing they care is how it would look in pictures or catalogs or how difficult to shoot a product. I'm glad Apple doesn't make decisions that way. Hope they continue going their own way.
post #124 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by markb View Post


Side Side note: ATT is trying to rape you on text rates. Used to have a $5 plan that met my needs. Despite upgrading to their 4GB data plan, the ONLY plan for text is $20 a month. I think I can text other people with iOS devices, but when my awesome bank or ATT themselves texts me I guess I get to pay $.20 per text.

The same thing happened to me. Nice to know I wasn't the only one. I was able to keep my unlimited data plan, but the text plans only gave me pay as you go or $20 unlimited. Like you I had the $5 plan. Been working with AT&T customer service about it. The response so far is my old plan will be grandfathered in (go figure, really?), but haven't told if I need to do anything or if they will take care of it, since I selected the $20 option. I guess I'll see when I get my bill next month.
post #125 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I doubt that moving the release date from early Summer to early Fall was the result of "hardware issues" (or due to agreements with Verizon). I think it's most likely that they wanted to separate the iPad and iPhone release dates and that iPod releases alone are not enough to get excited about any longer. The specific date of early October (vs. the usual early September date for iPods) could have been due to ironing out some hardware issue, but it's more likely that it was iOS5/iCloud/Siri development that determined the exact date.

So, I don't think it should be seen as a "delay". I think they made a conscious decision to move the release of the 4S to the Fall and that that determined the development schedule and what got included. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the iPad 3 release date move to June at the WWDC -- i.e., the "prestige" spot formerly occupied by the iPhone. (I would however be surprised to see them release a phone with a larger screen, even after the 3GS is retired.)

That's certainly a possibility but I don't think the other hypotheses can be ruled out even if they did, in fact, premeditate the iPhone release to the Fall. The one aspect that makes me think the likelihood of a component supply issue is not simply because it was held in the Fall, but because it was held in October instead of September.

I speculated after the original iPad came out that there being so close in core design that if it becomes as popular as I think it will Apple may want more than a quarter between them, while also noting the declining of the iPod.

As for it being an issue with iOS 5.0, iCloud or Siri there is precedence that Apple wouldn't withhold a HW release because of code. For starters, iOS 5.0 was pretty well baked for beta 1 as I think the iOS team was working on an assumed Summer release timetable for most of the previous year. iCloud and Siri could be rolled out later just as they did with Push Notification Service. Even Siri is only in beta at this point, an unusual move for Apple.


If I were to bet I'd say that the need to move it t the opposite end of the year from the iPad (because of component and marketing needs), the A5 and cellular baseband are my top three guess. Could be one, two, all or none of these reasons, but that's what I'd think. Before someone says it, sure the MDM6600 has been used in other devices, but not on this scale, not in this size device, and not (from what I've seen) with this much power efficiency in the cellular baseband.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #126 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

How could it be delayed when Apple never announced a ship date?

There are a number of things that could have been the limiting factor in getting this phone ready
- availability of A5 chips in sufficient quantity
- availability of the GSM/CDMA chip with sufficiently low power consumption
- iOS 5
- New camera sensors
or any number of other things. Frankly, no one outside of Apple has any idea, so it's not worth speculating. It was released when Apple was ready to release it. That's all that matters.

Or, as I wrote, it wasn't "delayed" because they made a decision to move the iPhone launch to the Fall. Your post almost sounds like you think it was delayed, but don't want to call it that. I'm saying it wasn't delayed because they released it when they planned to.
post #127 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: The 5th generation iPhone is called the iPhone 4S and it makes no sense to think the 6th generation iPhone will be called iPhone 5 so please try to use some critical thinking when posting.

How exactly do you figure that "it makes no sense to think the 6th generation iPhone will be called iPhone 5?"

The 4th generation iPhone was dubbed the 3GS, and the 5th generation iPhone was the iPhone 4. I think the is obvious historical support that points to the next iPhone being named 5. I would even go so far as to guess that Apple will then release a 5S the following year and adopt the obvious cycle of a major hardware refresh followed by a relatively incremental update the following year.
post #128 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

How exactly do you figure that "it makes no sense to think the 6th generation iPhone will be called iPhone 5?"

The 4th generation iPhone was dubbed the 3GS, and the 5th generation iPhone was the iPhone 4. I think the is obvious historical support that points to the next iPhone being named 5. I would even go so far as to guess that Apple will then release a 5S the following year and adopt the obvious cycle of a major hardware refresh followed by a relatively incremental update the following year.

1st generation (circa 2007) = iPhone
2nd generation (circa 2008) = iPhone 3G
3rd generation (circa 2009) = iPhone 3GS
4th generation (circa 2010) = iPhone 4
5th generation (circa 2011) = iPhone 4S
6th generation (circa 2012) = You want to call it the iPhone 5????
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #129 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

How exactly do you figure that "it makes no sense to think the 6th generation iPhone will be called iPhone 5?"

The 4th generation iPhone was dubbed the 3GS, and the 5th generation iPhone was the iPhone 4. I think the is obvious historical support that points to the next iPhone being named 5. I would even go so far as to guess that Apple will then release a 5S the following year and adopt the obvious cycle of a major hardware refresh followed by a relatively incremental update the following year.

you might be off by one there

1st Gen - iPhone
2nd Gen - iPhone 3G
3rd Gen - iPhone 3GS
4th Gen - iPhone 4
5th Gen - iPhone 4S
post #130 of 238
Will Apple ship out the iphones to the people who pre-ordered
post #131 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You really think they could have sold the iPhone 4S back in June but held off to get iPhone users off of contracts? Besides that not making a lick of financial sense I don't know of a single AT&T user that had the 3GS that was on contract come this past June or an iPhone 4 user that is off their contract until mid-November so if you could clarify your position I'd appreciate it.

I'm posting this from my 3GS whose contract expired on September 29th.
post #132 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

How exactly do you figure that "it makes no sense to think the 6th generation iPhone will be called iPhone 5?"

The 4th generation iPhone was dubbed the 3GS, and the 5th generation iPhone was the iPhone 4. I think the is obvious historical support that points to the next iPhone being named 5. I would even go so far as to guess that Apple will then release a 5S the following year and adopt the obvious cycle of a major hardware refresh followed by a relatively incremental update the following year.

I don't know. The first generation 32-bit Windows NT was called "Windows NT 3.11". It makes no sense, therefore I rest my Chewbacca defense.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #133 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1st generation (circa 2007) = iPhone (YEAH, THIS IS THE 1st GEN iPHONE)
2nd generation (circa 2008) = iPhone 3G (BECAUSE IT HAD '3G' CELLULAR RADIO ADDED)
3rd generation (circa 2009) = iPhone 3GS (BECAUSE IT'S STILL THE SAME iPHONE 3G CASING BUT MUCH SPEEDIER INTERNAL COMPONENTS)
4th generation (circa 2010) = iPhone 4 (WHAT ABOUT CALLING THE '4' IS CONFUSING ABOUT THIS BEING THE 4th GEN iPHONE?)
5th generation (circa 2011) = iPhone 4S (BECAUSE IT'S STILL THE SAME iPHONE 4 CASING BUT MUCH SPEEDIER INTERNAL COMPONENTS)
6th generation (circa 2012) = You want to call it the iPhone 5????

While people got the 3G as a marketing term - rather than an iPhone 2, and they also got the 3GS as a Marketing term = S for speed, after Apple went to the iPhone 4 and the numbers caught up with reality, they/we expected an iPhone 5 this year until recently. In the absence of an iPhone 5 in 2011, a move from the the 4S to the 6 would seem ridiculous to all but wonks who have done what you just did. Most people won't.


What I think they should do is abandon numbers.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #134 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by meliaesc View Post

I'm posting this from my 3GS whose contract expired on September 29th.

And? You obviously didn't but the 3GS right when it came out or your contract would have been up or months before June. Sounds like you bought your 3GS just over halfway through it's primary cycle.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #135 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And? You obviously didn't but the 3GS right when it came out or your contract would have been up or months before June. Sounds like you bought your 3GS just over halfway through it's primary cycle.

Maybe he bought it when it became available in whatever country he lives in?

In any case most people dont buy the iPhone on it's first day, or first week.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #136 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

While people got the 3G as a marketing term - rather than an iPhone 2, and they also got the 3GS as a Marketing term = S for speed, after Apple went to the iPhone 4 and the numbers caught up with reality, they/we expected an iPhone 5 this year until recently. In the absence of an iPhone 5 in 2011, a move from the the 4S to the 6 would seem ridiculous to all but wonks who have done what you just did. Most people won't.


What I think they should do is abandon numbers.

You think calling the 6th generation iPhone with iOS 6.0 with HSPA+ '4G', LTE '4G',a nd perhaps WiMAX '4G' the iPhone 5? defend that!

I'd say the iPhone 4G would make the most the sense at this time if they do plan on making it '4G' for all available carriers, but that assumes no divergence of the brand to allow for 2nd tier naming conventions.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #137 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

How exactly do you figure that "it makes no sense to think the 6th generation iPhone will be called iPhone 5?"

The 4th generation iPhone was dubbed the 3GS, and the 5th generation iPhone was the iPhone 4. I think the is obvious historical support that points to the next iPhone being named 5. I would even go so far as to guess that Apple will then release a 5S the following year and adopt the obvious cycle of a major hardware refresh followed by a relatively incremental update the following year.

Besides your obvious off by one error pointed out by others, the 4S did represent a "major hardware refresh", as did the 3GS compared to the 3G. The only things that didn't change were the case -- which is still the best case of any smartphone on the market -- and the screen -- which is likewise better than anything else available.
post #138 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Maybe he bought it when it became available in whatever country he lives in?

In any case most people dont buy the iPhone on it's first day, or first week.

[insult removed]. Surely you must understand that people that bought the 3GS last month under contract aren't going to be out of contract. So lets say he's in Morocco and bought it 6 months after it came out in the US why would you then use the US release date the next year? Why wouldn't you use the same release cycle for Apple's primary country -AND- the YoY timeframe in which people bought the device.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #139 of 238
So, any of you that preordered through AT&T, does your status show backordered with no estimated delivery date? I ordered 2 hrs after it opened and mine does?!?!?! What gives?
post #140 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

[insult removed]. Surely you must understand that people that bought the 3GS last month under contract aren't going to be out of contract. So lets say he's in Morocco and bought it 6 months after it came out in the US why would you then use the US release date the next year? Why wouldn't you use the same release cycle for Apple's primary country -AND- the YoY timeframe in which people bought the device.

Thats the second ad hominem by the way in one thread and both reported.

All he said was "I'm posting this from my 3GS whose contract expired on September 29th"

which tells you that he bought it in America 24 months ago, or somewhere else 12, 16, 18, or 24 months ago ( all these contracts available on O2 UK for instance. In other words it tells us very little.

And you are on ignore.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #141 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy1958 View Post

So, any of you that preordered through AT&T, does your status show backordered with no estimated delivery date? I ordered 2 hrs after it opened and mine does?!?!?! What gives?

Mine still shows delivery for the 14th. I hope you don't get screwed. That would really suck.

I ordered mine as soon as it would go through, through the Apple site, about 1-1/2 -- 2 hours after it supposedly went on line.
post #142 of 238
O2 in the UK suggest just popping in on Friday. The local Apple retail store will have some, as well. Pre-orders are at 1-2 weeks on the online Apple store. Jesus, I expected them to have a huge capacity this time. Same design, been building for a while.

Whatever. Will be there.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #143 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post


I am planning to buy the 64GB iPhone 4S unlocked at $849 and drop in an AT&T GoPhone SIM. I've priced it out my mobile phone usage compared to the cheapest AT&T iPhone plan (smallest voice, smallest data, no text) and it looks like I'll break even at eleven months. After that, I'll be paying about $15 a month whereas that cheapest plan is $55/month. After two years, I will have saved $520 versus being on a contract with a subsidized locked handset. Plus, I'll have an unlocked phone to sell used which commands a premium over locked phones.

Can you elaborate.... what does the $15 get you by way of voice, text, data?

Thanks.
post #144 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Thats the second ad hominem by the way in one thread and both reported.

Has "ad hominem" become synonymous with "insult" through repeated misuse in forums, or is it just being used euphemistically, albeit wrongly, in this context? Just curious.
post #145 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Can you elaborate.... what does the $15 get you by way of voice, text, data?

Thanks.

Sounds like he'd be using the 10¢/minute nationwide calling plan which gives him 150 minutes per month. For me that would be enough in talk time but Messaging and Data packages are available separately. If he's around WiFi that would be an option and iMessages will reduce the need for SMS if you know a lot of iPhone user.

I can't find the data and messaging rates for the GoPhone plans. If they are the same as their contracted devices, but prepaid, you won't see a direct benefit under that plan for many months.

Ignoring taxes, a prepaid iPhone 4S is $649 and a contracted iPhone 4S is $199. That's a difference of $449. If the regular voice plan for a contracted iPhone 4S is $60 and you only use about $15 worth of calls that is a savings per month of $45, (449 ÷ 45 = 10) which means it will be 10 months before your investment pays off. If you make $25 worth of calls (250 minutes) then your monthly savings are $35, (449 ÷ 35 = 13) which means 13 months before your investment pays off. Is that accurate?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #146 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Has "ad hominem" become synonymous with "insult" through repeated misuse in forums, or is it just being used euphemistically, albeit wrongly, in this context? Just curious.

Both.
post #147 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Can you elaborate.... what does the $15 get you by way of voice, text, data?

Thanks.

I'm doing the same but from the UK, bought an iPhone 4 unlocked, am now selling that for £300 and have a new unlocked 4S ordered for £500, i.e. 200 to upgrade, and i'm with a Pay As You Go company called GiffGaff, for £10 ($15) per month i get 250 minutes unlimited texts and unlimited internet (Note unlimited truly means unlimited, no caps) and by the time the next iPhone comes out i'll do the same, sell the iPhone 4S to cover at least half the cost of the upgrade, am saving a fortune compared to some people i know.
post #148 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Has "ad hominem" become synonymous with "insult" through repeated misuse in forums, or is it just being used euphemistically, albeit wrongly, in this context? Just curious.

Tis a common misconception. From Wikipedia:
Gratuitous verbal abuse or "name-calling" itself is not an ad hominem or a logical fallacy.

In order to become a fallacy, the insult would need to be given as a reason for believing some conclusion. An example would be, "X is idiotically ignorant [of politics], so why should we listen to him now?"

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #149 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Sounds like he'd be using the 10¢/minute nationwide calling plan which gives him 150 minutes per month. For me that would be enough in talk time but Messaging and Data packages are available separately. If he's around WiFi that would be an option and iMessages will reduce the need for SMS if you know a lot of iPhone user.

I can't find the data and messaging rates for the GoPhone plans. If they are the same as their contracted devices, but prepaid, you won't see a direct benefit under that plan for x months.

Ignoring taxes, a prepaid iPhone 4S is $649 and a contracted iPhone 4S is $199. That's a difference of $449. If the regular voice plan for a contracted iPhone 4S is $60 and you only use about $15 worth of calls that is a savings per month of $45, (449 ÷ 45 = 10) which means it will be 10 months before your investment pays off. If you make $25 worth of calls (250 minutes) then your monthly savings are $35, (449 ÷ 35 = 13) which means 13 months before your investment pays off. Is that accurate?

About 150 mins is consistent with my voice use too, and this sounds prima facie interesting.

The issue is whether ATT makes up the difference in higher data and text rates. That's what I am hoping to find out....
post #150 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Tis a common misconception. From Wikipedia:
Gratuitous verbal abuse or "name-calling" itself is not an ad hominem or a logical fallacy.

In order to become a fallacy, the insult would need to be given as a reason for believing some conclusion. An example would be, "X is idiotically ignorant [of politics], so why should we listen to him now?"

Thanks. That was my conclusion too.

DED sure attracts a lot of ad homs.
post #151 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

About 150 mins is consistent with my voice use too, and this sounds prima facie interesting.

The issue is whether ATT makes up the difference in higher data and text rates. That's what I am hoping to find out....

I've just realizing that I pay $60 a month for 450 minutes which I don't use. That's ¢13.3 per minute.

I'm guessing AT&T jacks you with GoPhone data and messaging but maybe, just maybe, there is a loop hope to exploit for those willing to pay full price up front for an iPhone.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #152 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Has "ad hominem" become synonymous with "insult" through repeated misuse in forums, or is it just being used euphemistically, albeit wrongly, in this context? Just curious.

... and an insult doesn't mean that the statement is false...

We will now return to the regularly listed program which is in progress...

My carrier told me this morning that I could switch back and forth between plans over the period of my contract as long as I commit to at least $50 worth of charges per month.

This is Canada we're talking about...
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #153 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Has "ad hominem" become synonymous with "insult" through repeated misuse in forums, or is it just being used euphemistically, albeit wrongly, in this context? Just curious.

But I dont think I am dense. Hence the attack is a an ad hominem, an attack on the man not the argument. In any case these debates should be conducted as if in public - a dinner party or a public debate. I could easily respond in kind, and were moderation disabled ( and, frankly, it's not altogether clear it is enabled) then I would.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #154 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I know several people who purchased the iPhone 4S today that I would describe as generally techtarded. Very few technically inclined people I know bought the new iPhone today but that's mainly because they have the iPhone 4 and have a month before they are upgrade eligible. I'm one of them.

Absolutely correct, you really must be tech conscious to buy a cell phone. By the way, which group are you one of?
post #155 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

But I dont think I am dense. Hence the attack is a an ad hominem, an attack on the man not the argument. In any case these debates should be conducted as if in public - a dinner party or a public debate. I could easily respond in kind, and were moderation disabled ( and, frankly, it's not altogether clear it is enabled) then I would.

Not a big deal, but an attack on the man is not, per se, an ad hominem - the attack has to be being used to further the argument. The OP was not calling you dense to further his argument - it was just an uncomplimentary observation. I was not trying to defend the insult, just pursue something that has been bugging me for a while.

Not responding in kind is good, with or without moderation. And as island hermit said - back to the thread...
post #156 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yeah. Funny how all the Apple haters are not longer spouting that nonsense.

It was a non-issue to begin with. I theorize that people were reacting to a new product announcement without Apple's incredibly charismatic co-founder running the show. He's had more practice at "pulling the sheet back" on stage (so to speak) than literally anyone else at Apple. I mean, his original employee number was #0 (Woz was #1). He was a very polished presenter. Watch his old keynotes and study the pacing and cadence with which he delivered his message on stage... nobody does it like that. He would pause to let things sink in. You could see that Steve was deeply romantic about technology and how it could change the world. The sincerity of beliefs, his vision, is infectious, and I think I will miss seeing that in future keynotes and product introductions.

You could list all of the new features of the iPhone 4S in a bunch of slides, and it's a strong set of features on paper (better than the introduction of the iPhone 3GS due to iCloud and Siri really adding to the user experience), but Steve Jobs could make people feel like "I gotta be the first to have it." No disrespect to Tim Cook, but it wasn't the same with Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

How could it be delayed when Apple never announced a ship date?

There are a number of things that could have been the limiting factor in getting this phone ready
- availability of A5 chips in sufficient quantity
- availability of the GSM/CDMA chip with sufficiently low power consumption
- iOS 5
- New camera sensors
or any number of other things. Frankly, no one outside of Apple has any idea, so it's not worth speculating. It was released when Apple was ready to release it. That's all that matters.

I think it's presumptuous of people to proclaim that Apple was "late" based on Apple not following its apparent pattern of iPhone releases in the recent past. Just because Apple's not following your schedule doesn't mean they aren't following theirs

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #157 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You could list all of the new features of the iPhone 4S in a bunch of slides, and it's a strong set of features on paper (better than the introduction of the iPhone 3GS due to iCloud and Siri really adding to the user experience), but Steve Jobs could make people feel like "I gotta be the first to have it." No disrespect to Tim Cook, but it wasn't the same with Steve

"An ipod, a phone and an internet communicator..."
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #158 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It was a non-issue to begin with. I theorize that people were reacting to a new product announcement without Apple's incredibly charismatic co-founder running the show. He's had more practice at "pulling the sheet back" on stage (so to speak) than literally anyone else at Apple. I mean, his original employee number was #0 (Woz was #1). He was a very polished presenter. Watch his old keynotes and study the pacing and cadence with which he delivered his message on stage... nobody does it like that. He would pause to let things sink in. You could see that Steve was deeply romantic about technology and how it could change the world. The sincerity of beliefs, his vision, is infectious, and I think I will miss seeing that in future keynotes and product introductions.

You could list all of the new features of the iPhone 4S in a bunch of slides, and it's a strong set of features on paper (better than the introduction of the iPhone 3GS due to iCloud and Siri really adding to the user experience), but Steve Jobs could make people feel like "I gotta be the first to have it." No disrespect to Tim Cook, but it wasn't the same with Steve

Definitely.

I don't think you'll ever see someone, Apple or tech or anything else-related, who can work a room like Steve could. He had the ability to connect with people, on a level that was nearly magical. I don't want to sound like some crazy fanboy. And I hope that's not how this comes off. But really, Steve could introduce a product -- glass and plastic and steel and silicon -- and you would feel like not only did you have to have it, but that it was like a gift. Like it was meant for you. You immediately had a personal relationship with the product.

If anything was missing, that was it. Of course, as others have pointed out, Cook and Co. were well aware that Jobs was on his last. So that must have been a terribly difficult introduction to do. Horribly difficult.

I've been studying up on Siri, and the more I learn the more I learn I think that it's a complete game changer. I can't wait.
post #159 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


I think it's presumptuous of people to proclaim that Apple was "late" based on Apple not following its apparent pattern of iPhone releases in the recent past. Just because Apple's not following your schedule doesn't mean they aren't following theirs

We don't know. I do think that they wanted to shift the sales to their 1Q, which is apparently working.

As someone who was disappointed with the 4S not having a new form ( I do like new design) because I have had the 3Gs for two years now - longer than my UK contract would force me to and I held off buying the iPhone 4 for 5 months, I have come around to the idea that this may have been a smart move.

If they have supply constraints on the 4S then there was no way they could have made a new form factor and even begun to match demand to supply. It just wouldnt have scaled in time. They may not do it now, even though the iPhone 4S has the same externals as the iPhone 4, and they have reportedly being ramping since August. ( I believe these reports on the 4S builds as they were accurate on the non-existance of the iPhone 5).

The thing is, can they ever hope to release an iPhone in the 1Q with a new form factor?
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #160 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

"An ipod, a phone and an internet communicator..."

Lol. Yeah, Jobs made that a religious experience, it could have been a powerpoint presentation.


Its a huge loss. I think Scott Forstall is the best at doing something like Jobs. Maybe Cooks role should be as compere. Short introductions, and stats, and everybody else gets to introduce things.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple sells out of iPhone 4S for Oct 14th delivery, now quoting 1-2 weeks
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sells out of iPhone 4S for Oct 14th delivery, now quoting 1-2 weeks