or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sells out of iPhone 4S for Oct 14th delivery, now quoting 1-2 weeks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple sells out of iPhone 4S for Oct 14th delivery, now quoting 1-2 weeks - Page 5

post #161 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Tis a common misconception. From Wikipedia:
Gratuitous verbal abuse or "name-calling" itself is not an ad hominem or a logical fallacy.

In order to become a fallacy, the insult would need to be given as a reason for believing some conclusion. An example would be, "X is idiotically ignorant [of politics], so why should we listen to him now?"

Technically, I don't believe even that is an ad hominem. If a person is ignorant of politics, then it is reasonable to ignore their opinion on politics.

A true ad hominem typically has some bigotry involved: "You shouldn't pay attention to her view on math because she's a woman".
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #162 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

"An ipod, a phone and an internet communicator..."

I immediately thought of that too. It's wildly memorable. That's the sort of connection I was talking about. It was like he was talking right to you.
post #163 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

No disrespect to Tim Cook, but it wasn't the same with Steve

Don't you mean no disrespect to Phil Schiller, since he was given the most important role of unveiling the iPhone 4S?
post #164 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Don't you mean no disrespect to Phil Schiller, since he was given the most important role of unveiling the iPhone 4S?

It's hard to tell whether Cook was off-form or not because we dont see him in that capacity much, but Schiller definitely was. Understandably.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #165 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Lol. Yeah, Jobs made that a religious experience, it could have been a powerpoint presentation.


Its a huge loss. I think Scott Forstall is the best at doing something like Jobs. Maybe Cooks role should be as compere. Short introductions, and stats, and everybody else gets to introduce things.

He really was amazing on stage and in person. I mean, most people dread public speaking, but Jobs lived for it.

Trip down memory I/O lane:
1984 unveiling of Original Mac: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B-XwPjn9YY
1998 unveiling of iMac: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSiQA6KKyJo

I think he hit his stride in 2008 at the MacWorld keynote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOKGKsdY-VI

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #166 of 238
SO this would be my first iPhone, as I'm coming from a Galaxy S phone (boy, I'm gonna miss that Super AMOLED 4'' screen-but not Samsung's coders!)...kind of nervous.
post #167 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

SO this would be my first iPhone, as I'm coming from a Galaxy S phone (boy, I'm gonna miss that Super AMOLED 4'' screen-but not Samsung's coders!)...kind of nervous.

I think you'll be very happy. It's going to be fast, have a great display, and Siri. Trust me, you'll like Siri.
post #168 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I've just realizing that I pay $60 a month for 450 minutes which I don't use. That's ยข13.3 per minute.

I'm guessing AT&T jacks you with GoPhone data and messaging but maybe, just maybe, there is a loop hope to exploit for those willing to pay full price up front for an iPhone.

You get rollover minutes so even if you don't use them all, they build up. Every other Telco doesn't do that. Verizon has never done it. I've never used my minutes, per month or I'd have thousands and thousands left.
post #169 of 238
Just found out my job gives me ATT Premier with 21% discount. Woots!
post #170 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Just found out my job gives me ATT Premier with 21% discount. Woots!

Nice!

That's a serious discount. How about spreading that around?
post #171 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Technically, I don't believe even that is an ad hominem. If a person is ignorant of politics, then it is reasonable to ignore their opinion on politics.

A true ad hominem typically has some bigotry involved: "You shouldn't pay attention to her view on math because she's a woman".

"Reasonable" perhaps, but it's still a logical fallacy. Bigotry isn't necessary for true ad hominem; it just has to be a rhetorical argument, as opposed to a purely logical one.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #172 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

"Reasonable" perhaps, but it's still a logical fallacy. Bigotry isn't necessary for true ad hominem; it just has to be a rhetorical argument, as opposed to a purely logical one.

Damn it ya'll, I just took a really hard test in my Logic class. Just stop it!
post #173 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Nice!

That's a serious discount. How about spreading that around?

Lolz, I would if I could. I had a 25% sprint discount...but I'm canceling them.
post #174 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Lolz, I would if I could. I had a 25% sprint discount...but I'm canceling them.

And I almost went from ATT to Sprint. Imagine.
post #175 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You get rollover minutes so even if you don't use them all, they build up. Every other Telco doesn't do that. Verizon has never done it. I've never used my minutes, per month or I'd have thousands and thousands left.

They do drop off after one year.

It's a nice feature for those that need it but my usage pattern paired with the minimum number of minutes I can buy makes it useless to me. I am saving about 300-350 minutes per month.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #176 of 238
I'm sure all of us here who pre-ordered have seen this, but my iPhone orders have changed from "Processing" to "Preparing for shipment".
post #177 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

I'm sure all of us here who pre-ordered have seen this, but my iPhone orders have changed from "Processing" to "Preparing for shipment".

Yeah. Not sure what that means, but I'm happy about it either way.
post #178 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

"Reasonable" perhaps, but it's still a logical fallacy. Bigotry isn't necessary for true ad hominem; it just has to be a rhetorical argument, as opposed to a purely logical one.

http://www.logicalfallacies.info/relevance/ad-hominem/

Although, it's worth noting that the conclusion of an ad-hominem argument can still be correct, as indicated in the example given at the above URL, just that the method of getting there is not logically valid.

And not every attack on a person's knowledge, character, motives, background, etc. constitutes an ad-hominem fallacy. Sometimes those issues are entirely relevant.
post #179 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

I'm sure all of us here who pre-ordered have seen this, but my iPhone orders have changed from "Processing" to "Preparing for shipment".

Not if you preordered from AT&T. I ordered mine at 4:30 CT, and it still says processing. At least the 14-21 day delivery statement is now gone.
post #180 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

No disrespect to Tim Cook, but it wasn't the same with Steve...

It ain't ever gonna be the same ...No doubt everyone was struggling with Steve's condition at that very time but Tim talked a little too slow and Phil talked a little too fast.
post #181 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

For those willing to wait, Apple will release a GSM-unlocked version of the iPhone 4S in November, with 16GB, 326GB and 64GB models selling for $649, $749 and $849, respectively. The company cautions, however, that the unlocked iPhone will not work with CDMA carriers such as Verizon and Sprint.



I am definitely going to wait and get that 326GB unit for $749, that is just an unbelievable amount of storage for a phone.
post #182 of 238
When I checked the Apple site tonight, it still said October 14th delivery.
post #183 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Dixon View Post

They were pushing the fact that in contrast to what I've read online, the 4S does have a slightly different camera lens area which did require a different case from the ones for the iPhone4.

This sentence spooked me a bit because I just bought an iPhone 4 case for my new iPhone 4S (I'm upgrading from an Android phone). So, I took a stock photo of an iPhone 4 and a stock photo of an iPhone 4S, made one slightly transparent in Pixelmator, and resized one so it was the same size as the other. The camera is in exactly the same location, as is the LED.

So unless Apple is using an iPhone 4 photo on their site and not an actual 4S, there should be no problems.
post #184 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

That scares me as well..mine says back ordered but processing.

Mine says "Preparing for shipping". Funny thing is though that the AppleCare says "Processing".

Oh well, every time I've checked the Apple site it days "Delivery on Oct 14".
post #185 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by seqiro View Post

This sentence spooked me a bit because I just bought an iPhone 4 case for my new iPhone 4S (I'm upgrading from an Android phone). So, I took a stock photo of an iPhone 4 and a stock photo of an iPhone 4S, made one slightly transparent in Pixelmator, and resized one so it was the same size as the other. The camera is in exactly the same location, as is the LED.

So unless Apple is using an iPhone 4 photo on their site and not an actual 4S, there should be no problems.

If you look at the specs though, while the same size, it DOES weigh more. Also, the 4S has to thingys on the top side (CDMA/GSM attenas?) that might cause for some problems later....
post #186 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

If you look at the specs though, while the same size, it DOES weigh more. Also, the 4S has to thingys on the top side (CDMA/GSM attenas?) that might cause for some problems later....

Really? Exactly what sort of problems?

Might cause problems is one of those useless FUD statements that we see far too many of.
post #187 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Really? Exactly what sort of problems?

Might cause problems is one of those useless FUD statements that we see far too many of.

......um issues with people trying to use the case for the original iPhone 4 and it not fitting correctly.
post #188 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I have always assumed that the delay was contractual with Verizon since they received the iPhone 4 late in the normal refresh cycle.

I like Apple's thinking in not changing the case appearance. It is sort of like the iMac line. Looks almost identical, lasts a long time, easily upgradable OS, and has continued performance enhancements. It proves that the quality of the hardware is so good it doesn't need a facelift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The CDMA market was very important to Apple as was mending their relationship with Verizon. I don't suppose we will ever know what the reason for the delay was for sure.

For this "full-cycle" Verizon iP4 to have been successful -- wouldn't Apple and Verizon have had to announce it at the launch of the Verizon iPhone 4... to assure hesitant buyers that their purchase would not be obsolescent in 8 months?

I remember thinking at the time that the next upgrade after the iP4 might be delayed -- but, I don't believe that I would have bought a Verizon iP4 based on that assumption.

What Apple did do to accommodate the CDMA market was to clutter up its product line, and infrastructure, with additional SKUs.

My current thinking is that the 4S delay was based on:
-- acceptable world phone radios (unclutter the SKUs)
-- Siri
-- iCloud/Apple server support of Siri
-- possibly camera-related issues
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #189 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Attempt at humor aside:

1. Don't be a dick. , 2. If unsure, see rule 1.

What's wrong with being a Dick?

... I'm a Dick, who's not a dick -- but I've got a dick, that's a lotta' dick

Commence pissing contest


Edit: It takes balls to go by the nickname "Dick".
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #190 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

......um issues with people trying to use the case for the original iPhone 4 and it not fitting correctly.

There's absolutely no reason to expect that.
post #191 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Beats waiting in a real line. Online waiting entails martinis and pajamas. I got my two reserved and went back to bed with a nice buzz. Things I shouldn't try again in line at the mall.

It's OK to carry a water bottle with 2 olives in it... don't know about PJs at the mall, though -- and ditch the fuzzy bunny slippers

Edit: Can you still buy size XXX Dr. Dentons... the ones with the trap door?

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #192 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The word 'fuck'? really? I'll change it to 'frak', happy?

You're just being disrespectful:

Frick and Frack



...Now, where is that frickn' frack?
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #193 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

It's OK to carry a water bottle with 2 olives in it... don't know about PJs at the mall, though -- and ditch the fuzzy bunny slippers

It must be "that" time in the thread...
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #194 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Lol. Yeah, Jobs made that a religious experience, it could have been a powerpoint presentation.


Its a huge loss. I think Scott Forstall is the best at doing something like Jobs. Maybe Cooks role should be as compere. Short introductions, and stats, and everybody else gets to introduce things.

I too think Scott Forstall was the best. He seems to be truly proud of what iOS is and he seems to take pleasure in impressing people (which is what Steve Jobs did as well). Tim Cooks seems to take pleasure in sounding as level-headed as possible.
post #195 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

When I was last in Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala cell service was spotty. Our group had several sat phones for emergencies. In Costa Rica had one in my sack when I hiked from coast to coast. More like a AAA card than anything else. Never once used them but glad we had them.

And there its is people, soli is now the most interesting iPhone owner in the world lol
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #196 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

What's wrong with being a Dick?

... I'a Dick, who's not a dick -- but I've got a dick, that's a lotta' dick

Commence pissing contest

So Dick, do you call your dick dick or Dicks dick?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #197 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

There's absolutely no reason to expect that.

Could you at least come up with strong evidence to counter what I said? You said there's no reason to expect that..but your argument has no basis. You're throwing straws here. If there's a slight change in the phone itself, I expect somethign to behave differently. Cause apparently Infinity Blade II will run the same on the iPhone 4 AND THE 4S the same...
post #198 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

So Dick, do you call your dick dick or Dicks dick?

To paraphrase Dr. Evil, "I shall call him..." (brings pinky finger to corner of his mouth) "Mini-Dick."

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #199 of 238
Could we lay off the dicks here? I'm feeling a little weird.....
post #200 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

He really was amazing on stage and in person. I mean, most people dread public speaking, but Jobs lived for it.

Trip down memory I/O lane:
1984 unveiling of Original Mac: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B-XwPjn9YY
1998 unveiling of iMac: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSiQA6KKyJo

I think he hit his stride in 2008 at the MacWorld keynote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOKGKsdY-VI

Ahh... good times!

My wife, Lucy, my partner Mark, and I were privileged to attend the 1984 Mac intro at Flint Center... an amazing experience.

The video doesn't do justice to the sensation in the room -- history was being made and "we" were part of it!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple sells out of iPhone 4S for Oct 14th delivery, now quoting 1-2 weeks
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sells out of iPhone 4S for Oct 14th delivery, now quoting 1-2 weeks