or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sells out of iPhone 4S for Oct 14th delivery, now quoting 1-2 weeks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple sells out of iPhone 4S for Oct 14th delivery, now quoting 1-2 weeks - Page 6

post #201 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

So Dick, do you call your dick dick or Dicks dick?

Big Joe!
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #202 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Big Joe!

You forgot the k, you meant Big Joke!!! Lol
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #203 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

As I said before my twitter feed was annoyed. Plenty of normal people using twitter for iPhone follow these annoucements.

Nevertheless they, like me, will get an iPhone 4S. There is no doubt the internals are solid. I would have preferred a different form factor, as I think that "brands" better. But I have a 3GS now, and i will buy the 4S. Thats a no brainer.

Frankly if the 5 comes out in less than a year, which I suspect, then i will also get that.

Well, needless to say. while this Iphone 4s doesn't seem to be a barn burner for those with a 3 GS it is a big upgrade and for those with a 4 its eye candy or an early holiday present to themselves.
So bottom line: it will take months for Apple to catch up with demand. Only thing thats not in Apples favor is that ATT is not giving early upgrades this time around.
post #204 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You forgot the k, you meant Big Joke!!! Lol

Nah... It's from the tattoo on it:

Big Joe for short, for long: Big Joe's Emporium - Albuquerque, New Mexico 87103 (in bold italic)

...Jus' keep servin' up them softballs
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #205 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Nah... It's from the tattoo on it:

Big Joe for short, for long: Big Joe's Emporium - Albuquerque, New Mexico 87103 (in bold italic)

...Jus' keep servin' up them softballs

Softballs!??!!

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!! ... and the thread slides into areas that will take years of therapy to erase from my memory...
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #206 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Technically, I don't believe even that is an ad hominem. If a person is ignorant of politics, then it is reasonable to ignore their opinion on politics.

A true ad hominem typically has some bigotry involved: "You shouldn't pay attention to her view on math because she's a woman".

It is and it is a fallacy. Anything that fails to make a substantive counter-argument is a fallacy. You might chose to ignore their opinion, it still does not alter the validity of their argument.

Just because a blind man tells you the sky is blue does not make it orange. If you want argue the sky is a different color, you best find some evidence other than blindness.
post #207 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Well, needless to say. while this Iphone 4s doesn't seem to be a barn burner for those with a 3 GS it is a big upgrade and for those with a 4 its eye candy or an early holiday present to themselves.
So bottom line: it will take months for Apple to catch up with demand. Only thing thats not in Apples favor is that ATT is not giving early upgrades this time around.

Not true. I've had my iPhone 4 for 15 months and am eligible for a subsidized upgrade from AT&T. The amount of time before you can get an upgrade depends on how much you spend each month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Could you at least come up with strong evidence to counter what I said? You said there's no reason to expect that..but your argument has no basis. You're throwing straws here. If there's a slight change in the phone itself, I expect somethign to behave differently.

OK. Here are the facts that we know:
1. The iPhone 4 and 4S look the same. Someone superimposed the pictures and there is no discernible difference.
2. The physical dimensions from Apple's site are identical-to 0.1 mm.
3. Apple's site claims that the same bumpers fit the iPhone 4 and 4S:
http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html
Quote:
the two-tone iPhone Bumper fits snugly around the edges of iPhone 4S and iPhone 4.

Now, based on that, your argument that there might be a problem with cases fitting is a little bizarre. Seems to me that YOU are the one who needs to come up with evidence to support that claim.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #208 of 238
You are one angry person. Sheesh, it's just a phone.
post #209 of 238
We should have them here in Australia, almost a full day before America gets it.

Started taking pre orders yesterday.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #210 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

You are one angry person. Sheesh, it's just a phone.

What's that got to do with anything (and, no, I'm not angry). You claimed that iPhone 4 cases might not work on the iPhone 4S. Yet all the evidence (see above) says that they will.

So where's the evidence to support your claim that iPhone 4 cases might not work? Alternatively, feel free to withdraw your FUD.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #211 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What's that got to do with anything (and, no, I'm not angry). You claimed that iPhone 4 cases might not work on the iPhone 4S. Yet all the evidence (see above) says that they will.

So where's the evidence to support your claim that iPhone 4 cases might not work? Alternatively, feel free to withdraw your FUD.

Are we talking Bumpers or iPhone 4 cases in general? I would think Apple's redesign of the "universal" Bumper for the GSM-base and Verizon iPhone would have also included the iPhone 4S, but I'm sure there are plenty of cases that need to be redesigned for the iPhone 4S. Mainly for cases that cover the back side where Apple now has an f/2.4 aperture.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #212 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Are we talking Bumpers or iPhone 4 cases in general? I would think Apple's redesign of the "universal" Bumper for the GSM-base and Verizon iPhone would have also included the iPhone 4S, but I'm sure there are plenty of cases that need to be redesigned for the iPhone 4S. Mainly for cases that cover the back side where Apple now has an f/2.4 aperture.

Just blame the antenna already! Antenna-gate II: The Thickening.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #213 of 238
The only reason ATT gave out early upgrades was they wanted to secure one last 2 year agreement from the people who wanted to jump ship to Verizon.

ATT knew more US carriers were coming.
post #214 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Could you at least come up with strong evidence to counter what I said? You said there's no reason to expect that..but your argument has no basis. You're throwing straws here. If there's a slight change in the phone itself, I expect somethign to behave differently. Cause apparently Infinity Blade II will run the same on the iPhone 4 AND THE 4S the same...

Dude, you're the one casting baseless innuendos, so you're the one that needs to back up what you say. The Glenn Beck style of argument won't cut it here.
post #215 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

It is and it is a fallacy. Anything that fails to make a substantive counter-argument is a fallacy. You might chose to ignore their opinion, it still does not alter the validity of their argument. ...

That's simply not true. Just as an appeal to authority is not fallacious (except in a strictly deductive sense, which isn't normally the case in a real world discussion) if the "authority" "appealed to" is actually an authority on the subject, an (ad-hominem) attack on their qualifications, honesty or motives is not fallacious if it calls into question whether they are actually speaking from their unbiased knowledge or from some other basis.
post #216 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Are we talking Bumpers or iPhone 4 cases in general? I would think Apple's redesign of the "universal" Bumper for the GSM-base and Verizon iPhone would have also included the iPhone 4S, but I'm sure there are plenty of cases that need to be redesigned for the iPhone 4S. Mainly for cases that cover the back side where Apple now has an f/2.4 aperture.

I don't think the change in aperture is likely to, in the absence of evidence that it does, change the actual outside dimensions of the lens. It certainly doesn't seem to be necessarily the case, pun intended.
post #217 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

You are one angry person. Sheesh, it's just a phone.

Au contraire, bon ami. Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftf4riVJyqw
It's an iPod.
It's a phone.
It's a Internet communicator

iPod. Phone. Internet Communicator.

And that was before the App Store.

Listen to the crowd when the video reaches 6:30. Whoa. The revelation.
(Man, Steve knew how to work a crowd...*sigh* ).

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #218 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I didn't break any AI rules.

You may want to employ basic English grammar in any insults (even if it's not an AI rule)?

"you're" means something quite different than "your", and didn't make your post look particularly smart either, even before adding the f-word.
post #219 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by toes View Post

You may want to employ basic English grammar in any insults (even if it's not an AI rule)?

"you're" means something quite different than "your", and didn't make your post look particularly smart either, even before adding the f-word.

So... you're saying that when you ordered your 4S on Friday you had absolutely no problems getting it even though you phoned right at midnight PST. That's fantastic! Congrats! Hope you enjoy the new phone.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #220 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

That's simply not true. Just as an appeal to authority is not fallacious (except in a strictly deductive sense, which isn't normally the case in a real world discussion) if the "authority" "appealed to" is actually an authority on the subject, an (ad-hominem) attack on their qualifications, honesty or motives is not fallacious if it calls into question whether they are actually speaking from their unbiased knowledge or from some other basis.

The depths of this subject that you guys are plumbing is impressive. You are correct in the specific sense that argumentum ad hominem refers to an attack on the person that is not relevant to the argument, and calling into question someone's pertinent qualifications is not, in itself, a logical fallacy. However, dismissing an argument based on a lack of qualifications is precisely the argumentum ad hominem logical fallacy.
post #221 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Not true. I've had my iPhone 4 for 15 months and am eligible for a subsidized upgrade from AT&T. The amount of time before you can get an upgrade depends on how much you spend each month.

Correct. Not sure why people keep suggesting iPhone 4 users aren't qualified for a subsidized upgrade. I got the iPhone 4 day one and have been eligible for an upgrade since June (AT&T). Pre-ordered my iPhone 4S day one again no problem with the subsidized price ($299 32GB). Again, just because you're still under contract does not mean EVERY person is not eligible. The amount you pay monthly will determine your eligibility.
post #222 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Big Joe!

Nice!
post #223 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme View Post

Correct. Not sure why people keep suggesting iPhone 4 users aren't qualified for a subsidized upgrade. I got the iPhone 4 day one and have been eligible for an upgrade since June (AT&T). Pre-ordered my iPhone 4S day one again no problem with the subsidized price ($299 32GB). Again, just because you're still under contract does not mean EVERY person is not eligible. The amount you pay monthly will determine your eligibility.

Another thing that determines eligibility (with AT&T at least) is primary/secondary line status. The primary line usually becomes eligible for an upgrade before the other lines on the account. My wife is listed as our primary, and she became eligible about 16 months after our last upgrade. I'm considered the secondary line, so my line was eligible 3 months after hers.

Apple is now showing one of our phones shipped, but with a big 'exception' on the UPS tracking list, saying the service is not available to our address. Is anyone else seeing this?

Edit: Nevermind about the exception. It looks like both of my phones had the same hangup between Shenzhen and Hong Kong during shipment.
post #224 of 238
Jesus, it didn't take long for you to all get over your earth-shattering grief and start salivating over your next purchase, did it?

Nice.

And nicer still that you're all prepared to buy the same phone twice. Again.

Cue blah blah about graphics x7 etc. yes, yes, I've heard it. It's bollocks. It's the same blower, rehashed. With a voice assistant to make you look like even more of a self-obsessed tit while you talk to it in public.

Magical indeed.
post #225 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga89 View Post

Cue blah blah about graphics x7 etc. yes, yes, I've heard it. It's bollocks. It's the same blower, rehashed. With a voice assistant to make you look like even more of a self-obsessed tit while you talk to it in public.

Magical indeed.

Am I the only one that thinks that British slang sounds idiotic?
post #226 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

The depths of this subject that you guys are plumbing is impressive. You are correct in the specific sense that argumentum ad hominem refers to an attack on the person that is not relevant to the argument, and calling into question someone's pertinent qualifications is not, in itself, a logical fallacy. However, dismissing an argument based on a lack of qualifications is precisely the argumentum ad hominem logical fallacy.

But, pragmatically, it's also the right thing to do when dealing with trolls, shills, and their ilk. If you know someone is deliberately being dishonest, or intentionally attempting to provoke, the best course is to simply call them out on it. Sometimes, argument is a fool's game.
post #227 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

But, pragmatically, it's also the right thing to do when dealing with trolls, shills, and their ilk. If you know someone is deliberately being dishonest, or intentionally attempting to provoke, the best course is to simply call them out on it. Sometimes, argument is a fool's game.

Yes, but keep it for the actual trolls, rather than people who might be disappointed with something Apple does. Scaramanga89 is an obvious troll.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #228 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Dude, you're the one casting baseless innuendos, so you're the one that needs to back up what you say. The Glenn Beck style of argument won't cut it here.

Would you guys seriously stop acting like you're such educated debates? Seriously, the pretentiousness here is outstanding.
post #229 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What's that got to do with anything (and, no, I'm not angry). You claimed that iPhone 4 cases might not work on the iPhone 4S. Yet all the evidence (see above) says that they will.

So where's the evidence to support your claim that iPhone 4 cases might not work? Alternatively, feel free to withdraw your FUD.

First, you just said it that's nonsense. I simply said I'm not sure if will be compatible because of hte slight differences in hardware (it DOES have two antennas you know) and the fact that it has a different camera lens. We haven't had a lot info. I belive the iPhone 4S has a (1/3.2") sensor while the original iPhone 4 has a 1/4. Again, not sure if that would make a difference or not.

Again, what TRUE evidence do you have? Do you have the iPhone 4S in your possesion? Thing's are different on paper than in your hands. No need to get all worked up for something as simple as a case.
post #230 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Dude, you're the one casting baseless innuendos, so you're the one that needs to back up what you say. The Glenn Beck style of argument won't cut it here.

I wasn't even talking to you, so what does that have to do with anything? Also, it's not "Glenn Beck's style of argument" as you have no basis for that? Is it defined in the dictioinary? Is a "Glenn Beck" argument a fallacy? Well, then don't bring that to the table.
post #231 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Au contraire, bon ami. Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftf4riVJyqw
It's an iPod.
It's a phone.
It's a Internet communicator

iPod. Phone. Internet Communicator.

And that was before the App Store.

Listen to the crowd when the video reaches 6:30. Whoa. The revelation.
(Man, Steve knew how to work a crowd...*sigh* ).

Oh, si vous plait ami.
post #232 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga89 View Post


Cue blah blah about graphics x7 etc. yes, yes, I've heard it. It's bollocks. It's the same blower, rehashed. With a voice assistant ...

Magical indeed.


So... if it had the SAME internals as the 4, but with a different external case (or perhaps a bigger screen) then it would be better?... and you'd consider that an "upgrade"?
But since the improvements are all internal, then it just doesn't count?
(Now who's the self-obsessed tit?... well... obsessed with how others see him, anyhow )
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
post #233 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

First, you just said it that's nonsense. I simply said I'm not sure if will be compatible because of hte slight differences in hardware (it DOES have two antennas you know) and the fact that it has a different camera lens. We haven't had a lot info. I belive the iPhone 4S has a (1/3.2") sensor while the original iPhone 4 has a 1/4. Again, not sure if that would make a difference or not.

Again, what TRUE evidence do you have? Do you have the iPhone 4S in your possesion? Thing's are different on paper than in your hands. No need to get all worked up for something as simple as a case.

Amazing. You're CONTINUING to imply that iPhone 4 cases won't work with the 4S?

Apple says that their bumpers work with both.

The physical dimensions are identical.

Someone reported superimposing pictures - and not seeing any discernible difference.

That sounds pretty conclusive. You're going to need more than "but there COULD be a problem" to justify your argument.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #234 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Amazing. You're CONTINUING to imply that iPhone 4 cases won't work with the 4S?

Apple says that their bumpers work with both.

The physical dimensions are identical.

Someone reported superimposing pictures - and not seeing any discernible difference.

That sounds pretty conclusive. You're going to need more than "but there COULD be a problem" to justify your argument.

Until I see the cases on the phones, that's not enough evidence. There is a high likelyhood. But I'm not holding my breath.
post #235 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Until I see the cases on the phones, that's not enough evidence. There is a high likelyhood. But I'm not holding my breath.

By the same logic, until I actually get my hands on one, I won't believe that the iPhone isn't made of green cheese and painted to look like a phone. Right?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #236 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

By the same logic, until I actually get my hands on one, I won't believe that the iPhone isn't made of green cheese and painted to look like a phone. Right?

Nuff Said

post #237 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

By the same logic, until I actually get my hands on one, I won't believe that the iPhone isn't made of green cheese and painted to look like a phone. Right?

Grasping straws. You know what I mean.
post #238 of 238
Damn it, I'm still waiting on my phone! GET IT TOGETHER....ATT!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple sells out of iPhone 4S for Oct 14th delivery, now quoting 1-2 weeks
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sells out of iPhone 4S for Oct 14th delivery, now quoting 1-2 weeks