or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sells out of iPhone 4S for Oct 14th delivery, now quoting 1-2 weeks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple sells out of iPhone 4S for Oct 14th delivery, now quoting 1-2 weeks - Page 2

post #41 of 238
Side Side note: ATT is trying to rape you on text rates. Used to have a $5 plan that met my needs. Despite upgrading to their 4GB data plan, the ONLY plan for text is $20 a month. I think I can text other people with iOS devices, but when my awesome bank or ATT themselves texts me I guess I get to pay $.20 per text.[/QUOTE]

I just went through this with them. What I finally got out of them is that it is possible to block texts altogether and then you can use an Internet texting service, perhAps in combination with the upcoming Apple texting. However, once you give up your $5/month rate, you can never get it back. Choosing an Internet service means a separate phone number to give out to all those who want to text you. What I'm not sure oc is whether you have to be on Wifi to send and receive texts.
post #42 of 238
Quote:
1. there is no pressure. They don't care what Android does as long as it isn't copying their IP. This is the Steve Way. It has been drilled into them on a level of cultism
2. they likely didn't delay to increase sales but to reset the calendar because iPhones sell way better than iPods and it gives better numbers for the start of their fiscal year.
3. Apple doesn't promote sales figures for any purpose than the fact that they sold something. They don't give out 'sales' to resellers like Samsung does, making it sound like that many end users got the product. In fact they never talk about sales to ATT etc. They talk about the sales from their stores to users. Period.
4. We won't need 6 months.

I doubt this. Tim Cook said in his opening talk on Tuesday that the smartphone market was still to play for. Apple probably needs to up it's game - it needs a larger range of phones, and possibly a few releases a year. I think Tim Cook knows this.

If they do go for a new form factor in the 5 - bigger screen, NFC, LTE. It can be the high end model ( where they can experiment with new features). The highest end model 5 could be $900+ - with 128G of memory. The 4/4S is mid-range. The 3GS, or replacement should be low end.

( By which I mean $250 ish off contract for a non-retina display device with an older processor and 8G).

After this range of models is introduced specs can be changed during the year without events - events are for Apple's new devices, or major changes in form factor.

Then the iPod touch would have a 3G option, pushing it to $220. Existing iPod touch is $199.

Do that and the market will be won back from Android. the problem is how they can build it all.

I also think they are going to de-couple the OS release from the release of the Phone. It is decoupled from the iPad.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #43 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by sip View Post

: Dispatched: Ships by October 14th

Mine (ordered 8 AM EST yesterday) says "Delivers on October 14."

They must like me.
post #44 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by aBeliefSystem View Post

Clever indeed.

Create a phone that has zero detrimental effect on XMAS iPad sales, then 6 months later introduce the 'must have' bigger flashier iPhone.

Win Win.

That's Business Acumen. The definition of Apple Inc. Amazing!
post #45 of 238
Simply Amazing.
post #46 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Do that and the market will be won back from Android. the problem is how they can build it all.

Apple has zero need to "win market back" from Android. It has the largest selling devices by far, caters to a different market segment, and is massively profitable.

Android can stick with its bottom-feeders.
post #47 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple has zero need to "win market back" from Android. It has the largest selling devices by far, caters to a different market segment, and is massively profitable.

Android can stick with its bottom-feeders.

You're the kind of Apple fan I dont like. I think Apple want to win this market - get around 30-40% of it, and stay tops in tablets and iPods - where they cater to "bottom-feeders".

In terms of getting Software and Dev mind-share, it's important to stay in the game.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #48 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

So you say people haven't bought it because they're technically minded, but then fully acknowledge the fact that (more likely the case) it's because they already have an iPhone 4 and are tied into contracts. It's almost certainly the latter, rather than the former.

Make your point and immediately cancel it out. Great debating skills there.

WTF! You clearly didn't read my comment before posting. Late night drunk posters.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #49 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

You're the kind of Apple fan I dont like. I think Apple want to win this market - get around 30-40% of it, and stay tops in tablets and iPods - where they cater to "bottom-feeders".

In terms of getting Software and Dev mind-share, it's important to stay in the game.

Apple wants the most money and mindshare. They are doing it in spades with the iPhone. To suggest they'd be willing to give those up in favour of more unit marketshare makes absolutely no business sense.

I don't see anyone can look at a company approaching 2/3rds of the world's handset profits and say they aren't the dominating. All I see is domination.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #50 of 238
I know I mentioned it in another thread, but I just received another email (this is my 5th now) saying that my order has been processed - they all say the EXACT same thing, and zero change has been made to the order status, and it still shows up as "back ordered". And that's just for the 16GB I ordered. The 32GB one I only got one email, and the status is the same.

The only reason I ordered through AT&T is because Apple's site was acting up.

I just hope I don't regret pre-ordering. I still need to order one more.
post #51 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn View Post

I just went through this with them. What I finally got out of them is that it is possible to block texts altogether and then you can use an Internet texting service, perhAps in combination with the upcoming Apple texting. However, once you give up your $5/month rate, you can never get it back. Choosing an Internet service means a separate phone number to give out to all those who want to text you. What I'm not sure oc is whether you have to be on Wifi to send and receive texts.

You can use either WiFi or 3G cellular data Internet connections for Internet texting, it doesn't matter. I've been doing this for years with Google Voice, via my computer, my iPod touch, and now with my iPad 2 (with 3G data).

Since I only give out my Google Voice number, it works well for me. Free texting via Google Voice and other related apps (like GV+ Mobile) and if I have a good WiFi connection, free outbound telephone calls to any U.S. number (regardless of whether it's a landline, mobile, or another Google Voice number) via the Talkatone app. The latter also means free calls back home when I'm traveling abroad (via WiFi).
post #52 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You really think they could have sold the iPhone 4S back in June but held off to get iPhone users off of contracts? Besides that not making a lick of financial sense I don't know of a single AT&T user that had the 3GS that was on contract come this past June or an iPhone 4 user that is off their contract until mid-November so if you could clarify your position I'd appreciate it.

I have always assumed that the delay was contractual with Verizon since they received the iPhone 4 late in the normal refresh cycle.

I like Apple's thinking in not changing the case appearance. It is sort of like the iMac line. Looks almost identical, lasts a long time, easily upgradable OS, and has continued performance enhancements. It proves that the quality of the hardware is so good it doesn't need a facelift.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #53 of 238
I woke up at 3am edt and ordered on Verizon Wireless's website in minutes and got my confirmation to "receive by October 14th" at about 0430. So today I wake up and like apparently thousands of othe Verizon iPhone 4S buyers, out ship date has been changed to October 21st! This better be a computer glitch otherwise I am going to be royally pissed off!

What's the point of a pre order if you get your phone weeks after everyone else?
post #54 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You're wrong. Apple wants the most money and mindshare. They are doing it in spades with the iPhone. To suggest they'd be willing to give those up in favour of more unit marketshare makes absolutely no business sense.

I don't see anyone can look at a company approaching 2/3rds of the world's handset profits and say they aren't the dominating. All I see is domination.

Yawn. The whole profits thing matters to investors. Customers dont care. As I keep pointing out they had amazing profits in 1992, then they hadn't. Their market collapsed.

Furthermore the "mindshare" depends on the marketshare. At a meeting to discuss an app on Thursday my boss, the CEO of a digital agency I contract for in London, encouraged the clients to build for Android first, as here - in the UK - it was a clear market leader. They agreed. Thats the reality on the street. Apple is falling here, Android is gaining ( in share) and BB is staying static.

In June last year, Android was nowhere, BB was in free-fall. iOS would have been first, and only, choice.

Apple must be aware of this. Which is why Cook mentions the yet to play for market it on his slides, and their obsession with China, and the continuation of the 3GS. The rest of the market is to play for, the poorer part. Which they can offset with a higher priced 5.

Probably they haven't got their ducks in a row yet, and didnt think they could produce enough for Christmas. However the business model I am suggesting is the one they use for iPods. And laptops for that matter. Mac book Pro, Mac Book, Air.

and I would be astonished if their model continues to be one model a year through to 2020.

The kind of people who argue against Apple selling low end models poo pooed the continuation of the 3GS based on the same elitist model. The 3GS is still selling.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #55 of 238
I have a similar problem with my AT&T order. I ordered less than 2 hours after the start, received the email that phone is reserved and should be delivered by Oct 14th.
When I check the status, I see this:

Last Updated: Oct 7, 2011

Pre-Ordered Item:
Ships in 14-21 days

What's up with this??? Ships in 14-21 days? If it does not ship by Oct 14th, then what is the point of preordering?
post #56 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Yawn. The whole profits thing matters to investors. Customers dont care. As I keep pointing out they had amazing profits in 1992, then they hadn't. Their market collapsed.

Furthermore the "mindshare" depends on the marketshare. At a meeting to discuss an app on Thursday my boss, the CEO of a digital agency I contract for in London, encouraged the clients to build for Android first, as here - in the UK - it was a clear market leader. They agreed. Thats the reality on the street. Apple is falling here, Android is gaining ( in share) and BB is staying static.

In June last year, Android was nowhere, BB was in free-fall. iOS would have been first, and only, choice.

Apple must be aware of this. Which is why Cook mentions the yet to play for market it on his slides, and their obsession with China. The rest of the market is to play for, the poorer part. Which they can offset with a higher priced 5.

Probably they haven't got their ducks in a row yet, and didnt think they could produce enough for Christmas. However the business model I am suggesting is the one they use for iPods. And laptops for that matter. Mac book Pro, Mac Book, Air.

and I would be astonished if their model continues to be one model a year through to 2020.

The kind of people who argue against Apple selling low end models poo pooed the continuation of the 3GS based on the same elitist model. The 3GS is still selling.

1) Profits are important to for-profit companies. Apple with it's low unit marketshare in iPhones and Macs is killing all their competition flooding the market with a cheap, race-to-the-bottom devices. You really think that's the position Apple wants to be in but can't figure out how to get it in. Hint: It's the easily business to be in.

2) They didn't have the majority of the industries profits in 1992.

3) Mindshare depends on mindshare, not how many people are actively using your product. You seriously think Rolls Royce has worse business model than Alliance Rubber Company simply because they sell units to customers. Insane!

4) Apple is gaining in share (which really should be happening) and Android should have gain more unit share faster than it did but they continually came to market with buggy, complex devices that typical users only begrudgingly use.

5) How can you not remember Apple wanting to get the top 1% of the handset market by unit? They didn't say they wanted the largest number of units sold without regard for dominating the top tier of the market or not making the highest profit from the market.

6) You saturate the market from the top down (picture a pyramid) or you risk losing your mindshare and profits. Going in with multiple devices all over the map in a vein and haphazard attempt to capture the entire market at once is foolish. You build carefully! You shouldn't have to have any business education to understand this basic fact in life.

7) Again, Why would Apple want to follow Google's model of making no money on Android over their model of making the majority of the world's profits?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #57 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

You're the kind of Apple fan I dont like. I think Apple want to win this market - get around 30-40% of it, and stay tops in tablets and iPods - where they cater to "bottom-feeders".

In terms of getting Software and Dev mind-share, it's important to stay in the game.

And, yours is the lazy kind of thinking that I don't particularly care for either (I don't dislike you - I have no clue who you are).

What 'Dev mind-share' or 'Software' staying-in-the-game issue does Apple have with iOS? Who do you think has the larger share of both - iOS or Android? Do we inhabit the same universe?
post #58 of 238
... and we haven't even started talking about 3GS and 4 sales.

So... next year when the unicorn powered 5" screen iPhone 6 comes out and the 3GS is given out as party favors, the 4 drops into the free 3GS spot, and the 4S drops into the $99 4 spot...

... it just keeps getting better.
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #59 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Profits are important to for-profit companies. Apple with it's low unit marketshare in iPhones and Macs is killing all their competition flooding the market with a cheap, race-to-the-bottom devices. You really think that's the position Apple wants to be in but can't figure out how to get it in. Hint: It's the easily business to be in.

2) They didn't have the majority of the industries profits in 1992.

Etc. Etc.

'Nuff said.
post #60 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

And, yours is the lazy kind of thinking that I don't particularly care for either (I don't dislike you - I have no clue who you are).

What 'Dev mind-share' or 'Software' staying-in-the-game does Apple have with iOS? Who do you think has the larger share of both - iOS or Android? Do we inhabit the same universe?

Android?
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #61 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That sounds like an ad tagline: "The best phone on the market just got better."

That's actually a very good tag line. I'm surprised Apple didn't use it themselves.

"The most amazing iphone ever..."
"The best phone on the market just got better."
post #62 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I have always assumed that the delay was contractual with Verizon since they received the iPhone 4 late in the normal refresh cycle.

I like Apple's thinking in not changing the case appearance. It is sort of like the iMac line. Looks almost identical, lasts a long time, easily upgradable OS, and has continued performance enhancements. It proves that the quality of the hardware is so good it doesn't need a facelift.

I don't think Apple would agree to that. There are billions on the line and having one company stop the works for a 100 countries and all their carriers wouldn't make any sense.

I think there was a HW issue that caused the delay. Maybe something with the new antenna switching components, or the camera, or this low-power MDM6600, or the A5, or some other unknown component.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #63 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by neosum View Post

That's actually a very good tag line. I'm surprised Apple didn't use it themselves.

"The most amazing iphone ever..."
"The best phone on the market just got better."

It's a Snapple commercial. "The best stuff on earth just got better".

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #64 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Android?

I thought so. We don't inhabit the same universe.
post #65 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't think Apple would agree to that. There are billions on the line and having one company stop the works for a 100 countries and all their carriers wouldn't make any sense.

The CDMA market was very important to Apple as was mending their relationship with Verizon. I don't suppose we will ever know what the reason for the delay was for sure.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #66 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Profits are important to for-profit companies. Apple with it's low unit marketshare in iPhones and Macs is killing all their competition flooding the market with a cheap, race-to-the-bottom devices. You really think that's the position Apple wants to be in but can't figure out how to get it in. Hint: It's the easily business to be in.

Maybe, but profits can come just as well from lower margins and higher sales.

Quote:
2) They didn't have the majority of the industries profits in 1992.

true. That doesn't mean that they will maintain the majority of industries profits going forward. Most of the profit at the higher end has been saturated.

Quote:
3) Mindshare depends on mindshare, not how many people are actively using your product. You seriously think Rolls Royce has worse business model than Alliance Rubber Company simply because they sell units to customers. Insane!

For a software platform mindshare and market share are inextricably linked.

Quote:
4) Apple is gaining in share (which really should be happening) and Android should have gain more unit share faster than it did but they continually came to market with buggy, complex devices that typical users only begrudgingly use.

Really should not, I suppose you mean. In fact they are garnering market share in the world by aggressively going after some markets. That goes against your points.

Quote:
5) How can you not remember Apple wanting to get the top 1% of the handset market by unit? They didn't say they wanted the largest number of units sold without regard for dominating the top tier of the market or not making the highest profit from the market.

That was the original claim in the iPhone launch. Apple act conservatively at launch. When iTunes was launched they suggested selling a million a year. They sold a million in a week. Now that they own the music download market do you think they want to lose it? Far better to remember Jobs saying that Google wanted to destroy the iPhone and Apple weren't going to let them. This means - they want to sell as many as Android. In his last appearance at a financial conference call, Jobs said that Apple were ( then) selling as many as Android activated. He was clearly agitated by the android activation figures.

Quote:
6) You saturate the market from the top down (picture a pyramid) or you risk losing your mindshare and profits. Going in with multiple devices all over the map in a vein and haphazard attempt to capture the entire market at once is foolish. You build carefully! You shouldn't have to have any business education to understand this basic fact in life.

Nobody is talking about anything haphazard, Thats your spin, and straw man. I am merely saying that they will have different iPhone models much as they have different lap top models, covering most price points, including the lowest. In terms of iOS devices I can get one in the UK Apple store for £169 as it is - the iPod touch. However the market for smart phones is now much bigger than the market for MP3 players ( even if, in reality, all thats different is a GSM chip, and some telephony software). They have the ability to do this.

Quote:
7) Again, Why would Apple want to follow Google's model of making no money on Android over their model of making the majority of the world's profits?

Straw man.


The reaction to a fairly benign suggestion that Apple will produce more than "one model a year" at some time in the future always amuses me. Same group who deridied the 3GS continuing.

Apple is seeking to maintain profits and increase market share. Not maintain ( or drop) market share and increase profits.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #67 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I thought so. We don't inhabit the same universe.

Yes, I am in the real world. Read my last story.

( I dont want Android to dominate, in case I get accused of trolling).
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #68 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

You're the kind of Apple fan I dont like. I think Apple want to win this market - get around 30-40% of it, and stay tops in tablets and iPods - where they cater to "bottom-feeders".

In terms of getting Software and Dev mind-share, it's important to stay in the game.

If you saw the keynote on Tuesday, you'll see where apple's target is. They're not focusing on converting android fanboys. They're more interested in the huge piece of the pie that consists of consumers who do not own a smartphone yet.
post #69 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The CDMA market was very important to Apple as was mending their relationship with Verizon. I don't suppose we will ever know what the reason for the delay was for sure.

It could also have been a change to move the iPhone release to 6 months from the iPad release so their two largest arms can be most effective in their respective markets. It's also a way to shore up the declining iPod interest by tagging it to the beginning of the iPhone presentation. After all the iPod Touch is essentially an iPhone without the cellular HW.

I'll weigh in now and say we will wait less than 17 months for the next iPhone release. I'll even say that when the iPhone 3GS with it's 480x360 display is finally dropped getting a new iPhone with a larger display may happen.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #70 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by neosum View Post

If you saw the keynote on Tuesday, you'll see where apple's target is. They're not focusing on converting android fanboys. They're more interested in the huge piece of the pie that consists of consumers who do not own a smartphone yet.

Yes. i am the person suggesting that they have cheaper models. It is exactly that speech by Cook which indicates that is what they are going to do. Hint: he said the market was only 5% smart - that is not true in the developed world, where the smartphone market is > 40%.

So to go after the rest Apple have to.....

?

Thats right. Cheaper models. The "bottom feeder" comment I was opposed to. They can maintain margins with higher priced models, in fact the top of the line 4S is higher priced - offsetting the lower priced 3GS.

That said overall margins have to fall.

Or do you think they are going after the 95% of the market, with $399-800 handsets?
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #71 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It could also have been a change to move the iPhone release to 6 months from the iPad release so their two largest arms can be most effective in their respective markets. It's also a way to shore up the declining iPod interest by tagging it to the beginning of the iPhone presentation. After all the iPod Touch is essentially an iPhone without the cellular HW.

I'll weigh in now and say we will wait less than 17 months for the next iPhone release. I'll even say that when the iPhone 3GS with it's 480x360 display is finally dropped getting a new iPhone with a larger display may happen.

I was a day one adopter of the iPhone and iPad, but now I am content with the devices I have and will wait until I see compelling reasons to upgrade. The unlocked version coming in November is interesting since I do a fair amount of international travel, but I wonder why it doesn't work on CDMA, which doesn't really matter to me, but I find it curious. Is it a new non CDMA chipped version or is the CDMA just not activated?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #72 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The reaction to a fairly benign suggestion that Apple will produce more than "one model a year" at some time in the future always amuses me. Same group who deridied the 3GS continuing.

Apple is seeking to maintain profits and increase market share. Not maintain ( or drop) market share and increase profits.

You're completely misunderstanding how markets work. Apple is selling the 3GS this year. They are still still the iPhone 4. They will continue to sell less expensive iPhones so long as it doesn't hurt their brand and increases their profit in the market. Why you think this doesn't work or that Apple should drop profit seeking for unit marketshare seeking is asinine.

I really don't know why some of you can't understand the logic behind building well. You can look at Acer as a prime example. Gateway is another one. Apple was told their ideas for stores was dumb because Gateway failed at it and they had thousand more stores than Apple had planned. But Apple built slowly and built well and now their tiny stores in shopping centers are anchors taking in more profit per square foot than any other retail space. And yet they don't have the most square footage of any retail outlet. Funny how they keep applying the same smart concepts to all areas of their business.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #73 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It could also have been a change to move the iPhone release to 6 months from the iPad release so their two largest arms can be most effective in their respective markets. It's also a way to shore up the declining iPod interest by tagging it to the beginning of the iPhone presentation. After all the iPod Touch is essentially an iPhone without the cellular HW.

I'll weigh in now and say we will wait less than 17 months for the next iPhone release. I'll even say that when the iPhone 3GS with it's 480x360 display is finally dropped getting a new iPhone with a larger display may happen.

Why would they "drop" the 3GS? The only way they would do this is if they had a new cheaper model in production. More likely the 3GS chasis becomes the model for the cheaper model.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #74 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Yes, I am in the real world. Read my last story.

( I dont want Android to dominate, in case I get accused of trolling).

UK ≠ World.

Your one experience ≠ Everyone else's experience.

Your universe ≠ Everyone else's universe.
post #75 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I was a day one adopter of the iPhone and iPad, but now I am content with the devices I have and will wait until I see compelling reasons to upgrade. The unlocked version coming in November is interesting since I do a fair amount of international travel, but I wonder why it doesn't work on CDMA, which doesn't really matter to me, but I find it curious. Is it a new non CDMA chipped version or is the CDMA just not activated?

The baseband hardware has to be flashed for a specific CDMA-based carrier and your phone has to be put into that carrier's system. I see no reason why a carrier wouldn't want you as a customer so I hope the clever JB community will work that out.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #76 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Why would they "drop" the 3GS? The only way they would do this is if they had a new cheaper model in production. More likely the 3GS chasis becomes the model for the cheaper model.

"Why" should be evident in my post.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #77 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You're completely misunderstanding how markets work. Apple is selling the 3GS this year. They are still still the iPhone 4. They will continue to sell less expensive iPhones so long as it doesn't hurt their brand and increases their profit in the market.

Um, right. Thats my argument. And I suggested they would before they did, unlike you. I am saying that the 3GS, the 4/4S and the 5 will in the future constitute the market. The 3GS is the low end iPhone you decry. It will be continued next year.

Quote:
Why you think this doesn't work or that Apple should drop profit seeking for unit marketshare seeking is asinine.

My God you are a slipperly customer. You said in the thread on the 3GS a few days ago that the 3GS would be dumped because Apple would move away from non-retina displays. By keeping the 3GS they are following my model ( in part) by increasing unit market share at the expense of profit, or unit margins. You have just quoted a stat which argues against your own position - the 3GS is still selling. Thats all I am saying. The 3GS will continue to sell when the iPhone 5 is released.

Quote:
I really don't know why some of you can't understand the logic behind building well. You can look at Acer as a prime example. Gateway is another one. Apple was told their ideas for stores was dumb because Gateway failed at it and they had thousand more stores than Apple had planned. But Apple built slowly and built well and now their tiny stores in shopping centers are anchors taking in more profit per square foot than any other retail space. And yet they don't have the most square footage of any retail outlet. Funny how they keep applying the same smart concepts to all areas of their business.


Who said anything about the quality of build being reduced. I suggested the 3GS, the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 5 would be separate models. Thats all. The 3GS is still a stonking machine.Going forward it can even get updated processor - the price differential with the iPhone 4 could merely be the Retina display. And the 3GS can drop in price by $100, or more.

If Apple want the rest of the 95%, they have to do what I suggest. I have no idea why this is even controversial.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #78 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

UK ≠ World.

Your one experience ≠ Everyone else's experience.

Your universe ≠ Everyone else's universe.

The story of the UK is the story in Europe, in fact. My experience is hardly unique, I contract for all major London companies. Android is winning mindshare here. This is hardly a radical claim.

But I do know more than you about the business.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #79 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

"Why" should be evident in my post.

There is nothing evident in your post. What was evident is that you opposed the 3GS being maintained in it's present iteration, and you and others think that Apple is going after the next 95% of the market - by definition the poorer 95 % - with high priced models. That's ludicrous.

Neither evidence, nor logic persuades you of much.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #80 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

My God you are a slipperly customer. You said in the thread on the 3GS a few days ago that the 3GS would be dumped because Apple would move away from non-retina displays. By keeping the 3GS they are following my model ( in part) by increasing unit market share at the expense of profit, or unit margins. You have just quoted a stat which argues against your own position - the 3GS is still selling. Thats all I am saying. The 3GS will continue to sell when the iPhone 5 is released

I theorized just like I did in post #69 that if Apple adds a 2nd display size they will drop the older of the 2 display resolutions of the same size. I also theorized that if we only get the iPhone 4 casing again then the iPhone 3GS would likely be free on contract.

PS: The 5th generation iPhone is called the iPhone 4S and it makes no sense to think the 6th generation iPhone will be called iPhone 5 so please try to use some critical thinking when posting.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple sells out of iPhone 4S for Oct 14th delivery, now quoting 1-2 weeks
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sells out of iPhone 4S for Oct 14th delivery, now quoting 1-2 weeks