or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sells out of iPhone 4S for Oct 14th delivery, now quoting 1-2 weeks

Apple sells out of iPhone 4S for Oct 14th delivery, now quoting 1-2 weeks - Page 3

post #81 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

There is nothing evident in your post. What was evident is that you opposed the 3GS being maintained in it's present iteration, and you and others think that Apple is going after the next 95% of the market - by definition the poorer 95 % - with high priced models. That's ludicrous.

Neither evidence, nor logic persuades you of much.

1) Frak, your posts make you sound like an idiot! I clearly wrote: "I'll even say that when the iPhone 3GS with it's 480x360 display is finally dropped getting a new iPhone with a larger display may happen."

2) I think Apple is going after 100% of the market with their current iPhone offerings? yet I have clearly stated that a smart company treads carefully and slowly into lower tiers to increase their unit and profit marketshare. That's what is the opposite of what you claim.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #82 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The baseband hardware has to be flashed for a specific CDMA-based carrier and your phone has to be put into that carrier's system. I see no reason why a carrier wouldn't want you as a customer so I hope the clever JB community will work that out.

Seems like Verizon customers would like to use CDMA in the US and then switch to a local GSM pay as you go when abroad. I'm on AT&T so no worries for me. Month before last when I was in Central America, I was traveling with an associate who normally uses a Verizon BB. VZ rented her a so called "World Phone" for the trip. It didn't work when we got there. I always take along an unlocked dumb phone for my trips and I had a spare one that gave to her.

An unlocked iPhone would be great. I've heard they have been selling them in Canada for awhile, but haven't seen them in the US. I might just get the new one when it comes out. Even so, with an unlocked iPhone you still need Skype when abroad. I pay for the local US number that rings on Skype on my iPhone. It doesn't work that well because the caller usually gets voicemail before the phone even rings on my end but at least it is convenient for my callers to get a message to me and I can call them right back using Skype.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #83 of 238
Cue the queues!
post #84 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Seems like Verizon customers would like to use CDMA in the US and then switch to a local GSM pay as you go when abroad. I'm on AT&T so no worries for me. Month before last when I was in Central America, I was traveling with an associate who normally uses a Verizon BB. VZ rented her a so called "World Phone" for the trip. It didn't work when we got there. I always take along an unlocked dumb phone for my trips and I had a spare one that gave to her.

An unlocked iPhone would be great. I've heard they have been selling them in Canada for awhile, but haven't seen them in the US. I might just get the new one when it comes out. Even so, with an unlocked iPhone you still need Skype when abroad. I pay for the local US number that rings on Skype on my iPhone. It doesn't work that well because the caller usually gets voicemail before the phone even rings on my end but at least it is convenient for my callers to get a message to me.

It's still really messy and will be for some time. I hope this new iPhone can wake you some law makers and that Apple can get a virtual SIM that doesn't require complex flashing of the baseband. But all that seems doubtful at this time.

If you really want a world phone a sat phone is still your best bet. Expensive, big and really only for emergencies but if I'm going to the middle of no where I'm certain I'd invest in one.
post #85 of 238
Quote:

If you really want a world phone a sat phone is still your best bet. Expensive, big and really only for emergencies but if I'm going to the middle of no where I'm certain I'd invest in one.

There is so much wireless and cell service in Central America, nobody uses those anymore down there. You'd really stick out like a sore thumb with one of those held to your ear. I try to blend into the local scene when visiting, but it helps to speak Spanish. If you don't, you look out of place anyway.

post #86 of 238
Quote:

But I do know more than you about the business.

I am sure you think you do!
post #87 of 238
Quote:

There is so much wireless and cell service in Central America, nobody uses those anymore down there.

When I was last in Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala cell service was spotty. Our group had several sat phones for emergencies. In Costa Rica had one in my sack when I hiked from coast to coast. More like a AAA card than anything else. Never once used them but glad we had them.
post #88 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

This is, of course, absurd. It would make absolutely zero sense for Apple to delay the release if the 4S if it was actually ready.

Not if:

The i4 continued to sell at or near production capacity;
They wanted to keep the annual refresh cycle; and
The wanted to move the refresh cycle to the Holiday Season.

Absolutely zero sense? Keep your day job, boi-MBA.
post #89 of 238
Quote:

1) Fuck you're posts make you sound like an diot!

This deserves a two-week "time out".

If anything deserves it, this post does.
post #90 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

A better place for this comment would be to send it to the mods... please. Let them sort it out if you feel violated.

Thank you.

[ besides... it sounds as if you're saying that you deserve a two week time out... "If anything deserves it, this post does." Maybe, "the above post" would have been better terminology. ]
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #91 of 238
So I ordered mine from ATT...I checked my order status and it says backordered.....does that just mean that they are holding it until it ships? I ordered mine within the first hour that there site was up.
post #92 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I didn't break any AI rules.
post #93 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by sartis View Post

So I ordered mine from ATT...I checked my order status and it says backordered.....does that just mean that they are holding it until it ships? I ordered mine within the first hour that there site was up.

Sorry... can't answer your question but wanted to comment on the email we receive in Canuckland from Telus.

I got an email saying that my order is not complete until a CSR phones me to discuss my contract renewal. If they are unable to reach me by the 11th then they will cancel my order.

They don't even give me the opportunity to call them.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #94 of 238
Quote:

I tried the "sound like" routine once and still got an infraction...

Two week time out? Hardly.

There are a few people I'd give a permanent time out for trolling though...

... and now back to regular programming.

Can hardly wait to get my 16g 4S! I knew waiting up until midnight would be worth it.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #95 of 238
Quote:

wrong, again

from the rules..

"By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws."

you broke the rules
post #96 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Can hardly wait to get my 16g 4S! I knew waiting up until midnight would be worth it.

I still have to wait a month until I'm upgrade eligible with AT&T. I'm jealous. I'll be out of the country and nowhere near any technology when the iPhone 4S launches but that knowledge doesn't make it any easier. I'll have to wait a before I can read up on all the juicy reviews and benchmarks.
post #97 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by umumum View Post

wrong, again

from the rules..

"By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws."

you broke the rules

The word 'fuck'? really? I'll change it to 'frak', happy?
post #98 of 238
Ive come to believe conradjoe it's a troll anyway.

I mean jeez join date is sept 2011 and he has almost 600 post..
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
White Nexus 7 8GB
post #99 of 238
Quote:

That scares me as well..mine says back ordered but processing.
White Nexus 7 8GB
White Nexus 7 8GB
post #100 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Boohoo, this doesn't really mean much to me. I'm not impressed at all. I predict that the iPhone is going to not sell well, all of the evidence and facts points in that direction. I think that Apple probably only had a stock of 2,000 phones. As a matter of fact, I think that the iPhone 4S is going to end up on Woot in 7 weeks time. There definitely won't be any people lining up outside any Apple stores, waiting to get this phone. Any intelligent person surely has to agree with that.

I'm holding out for the 'Big Thing' coming soon. It's curved and it kind of reminds me of a deformed penis, so I'm gonna get me that. Yeah, that's the ticket. iOS is too elegant and simple for a big thinker like me. I like to spend at least 3.5 hours every day just changing out the wallpapers on my phone and moving widgets around. Don't laugh at me, and no I'm not gay, but I already bought a man purse to go along with my lovely ice cream sandwich phone that I'm getting soon.

Attempt at humor aside:

1. Don't be a dick. , 2. If unsure, see rule 1.
post #101 of 238
Current form factor is already awesome. Cloners have yet to copy the design. Glass front and back, I haven't seen yet.
post #102 of 238
doesn't take long for threads to degrade and go off topic
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #103 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

You smoke some strange kind of crack dude! All the evidence would suggest that AT&T alone had a stock of 200,000 phones. And the evidence also points out that the others have sold out of all their initial unit allocations. Regardless of your personal thoughts, Apple had made at least 100 TIMES what you said they probably had.

Come back when you have a clue! Saving this one for claim chowder!

Really? Try reading the post again and this time engage your brain.
post #104 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

A better place for this comment would be to send it to the mods... please. Let them sort it out if you feel violated.

Thank you.

[ besides... it sounds as if you're saying that you deserve a two week time out... "If anything deserves it, this post does." Maybe, "the above post" would have been better terminology. ]

Well, if we're going to be picky, then "terminology" is not the best choice of words here.
post #105 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Current form factor is already awesome. Cloners have yet to copy the design. Glass front and back, I haven't seen yet.

There are only so many options - metal interferes with radio transceiving. Apple considers plastic to be cheap. That leaves glass, which is more expensive. Most manufacturers prefer not to spend money on a part that won't show up often in brochures and webpages.
post #106 of 238
So, wait. My staying up and ordering and re-ordering and trying for hours to get a 4S actually paid off? Cool.
post #107 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Well, if we're going to be picky, then "terminology" is not the best choice of words here.

... believe me... I stumbled over that word when I wrote it. I'm old... the brain fails...

How about those order numbers for the 4S!!
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #108 of 238
So much for your "iPhone 4S failed to impress" theory.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #109 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

Ive come to believe conradjoe it's a troll anyway.

I mean jeez join date is sept 2011 and he has almost 600 post..

he only stops posting when his mom calls him to dinner.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #110 of 238
Quote:

We are told they have been producing since early August. Apple, contrary to popular rumour, dont like shortages. In particular these days when Android is pulling ahead, less so. They want to sell what they can.

No, it had been rumored that Apple started production in August. There is no confirmation of that. We don't know when they started and how many they stockpiled for the launch.

For certain, the factories weren't running at full capacity two months ago. There's a ramp in manufacturing before steady state production yields are reached as Apple's manufacturing partners optimize their processes. It took months for the iPad to reach full production speed.

There are no "popular rumour" that Apple likes shortages. Apple management has repeatedly commented about availability issues and they see shortages as a negative. Jobs, Oppenheimer, Cook have all mentioned this (product launches, quarterly financial calls, etc.). Anyone who thinks Apple is deliberately creating shortages is completely out of touch with reality and hallucinating badly.

Quote:

They want to sell what they can.

Duh. Their primary responsibility is to increase shareholder value. They make big fat margins on their handset sales. It is their duty to sell as many as they can.

Quote:

So this means there has been extraordinary demand. Which is crap for me as I really want a phone.

If you didn't know that Apple was going have supply constraints with the iPhone 4S, then you've been living under a rock for the past 4.5 years.

Anyhow pre-order now. They'll be fulfilled first-come, first-served. If you order two weeks from today, you're not gonna get your phone before someone who pre-orders right now.
post #111 of 238
Quote:

No, it means they've sold through their pre-allotted inventory. Your phone will ship straight from the factory, and has yet to be made.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #112 of 238
Quote:

I still have to wait a month until I'm upgrade eligible with AT&T. I'm jealous. I'll be out of the country and nowhere near any technology when the iPhone 4S launches but that knowledge doesn't make it any easier. I'll have to wait a before I can read up on all the juicy reviews and benchmarks.

Oddly enough... my carrier just called to confirm my order. Shipping on the 13th and should be in my hands on the 14th.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #113 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Cue the queues!

Eddy Cue, or Q from Star Trek?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #114 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

So, wait. My staying up and ordering and re-ordering and trying for hours to get a 4S actually paid off? Cool.

Beats waiting in a real line. Online waiting entails martinis and pajamas. I got my two reserved and went back to bed with a nice buzz. Things I shouldn't try again in line at the mall.
post #115 of 238
Quote:

The word 'fuck'? really? I'll change it to 'frak', happy?

Oh please, that's like replacing Mountain Dew Extreme with, I dunno... Tab.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #116 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

It's called sarcasm. I know it doesn't always come across clearly in text, but this was pretty over the top.

May be, easily solved with the inclusion of the old sarcasm tag.
post #117 of 238
Pro Tip: If you want to visit an Apple Store soon to buy a Mac, do so before Oct 14.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #118 of 238
Quote:

I don't think Apple would agree to that. There are billions on the line and having one company stop the works for a 100 countries and all their carriers wouldn't make any sense.

I think there was a HW issue that caused the delay. Maybe something with the new antenna switching components, or the camera, or this low-power MDM6600, or the A5, or some other unknown component.

I doubt that moving the release date from early Summer to early Fall was the result of "hardware issues" (or due to agreements with Verizon). I think it's most likely that they wanted to separate the iPad and iPhone release dates and that iPod releases alone are not enough to get excited about any longer. The specific date of early October (vs. the usual early September date for iPods) could have been due to ironing out some hardware issue, but it's more likely that it was iOS5/iCloud/Siri development that determined the exact date.

So, I don't think it should be seen as a "delay". I think they made a conscious decision to move the release of the 4S to the Fall and that that determined the development schedule and what got included. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the iPad 3 release date move to June at the WWDC -- i.e., the "prestige" spot formerly occupied by the iPhone. (I would however be surprised to see them release a phone with a larger screen, even after the 3GS is retired.)
post #119 of 238
Quote:

An unlocked iPhone would be great. I've heard they have been selling them in Canada for awhile, but haven't seen them in the US. I might just get the new one when it comes out. Even so, with an unlocked iPhone you still need Skype when abroad. I pay for the local US number that rings on Skype on my iPhone. It doesn't work that well because the caller usually gets voicemail before the phone even rings on my end but at least it is convenient for my callers to get a message to me and I can call them right back using Skype.

Apple has been selling U.S. factory unlocked iPhone 4 since June. $649 for the 16GB model, $749 for the 32GB model.

You can also use Google Voice instead of Skype (I still have a Skype account). When traveling abroad, I can call U.S. numbers with the Talkatone app on my iPod touch (naturally over a WiFi connection). Cost = zero dollars.

I am planning to buy the 64GB iPhone 4S unlocked at $849 and drop in an AT&T GoPhone SIM. I've priced it out my mobile phone usage compared to the cheapest AT&T iPhone plan (smallest voice, smallest data, no text) and it looks like I'll break even at eleven months. After that, I'll be paying about $15 a month whereas that cheapest plan is $55/month. After two years, I will have saved $520 versus being on a contract with a subsidized locked handset. Plus, I'll have an unlocked phone to sell used which commands a premium over locked phones.
post #120 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Beats waiting in a real line. Online waiting entails martinis and pajamas. I got my two reserved and went back to bed with a nice buzz. Things I shouldn't try again in line at the mall.

Excellent point. I had a glass of vodka, but it still applies.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple sells out of iPhone 4S for Oct 14th delivery, now quoting 1-2 weeks
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sells out of iPhone 4S for Oct 14th delivery, now quoting 1-2 weeks