or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Mac OS X Lion and iTunes to get iCloud software ahead of iOS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mac OS X Lion and iTunes to get iCloud software ahead of iOS

post #1 of 53
Thread Starter 
Mac OS X Lion and iTunes users next week will reportedly gain access to Apple's new iCloud software a day or so prior to the launch of iOS 5.

The updates are expected to be available to Mac users before the Oct. 12 release of iOS 5, according to a source for Japanese Apple blog Macotakara. That would suggest a release sometime on either Monday or Tuesday.

Although Apple has not officially stated that an update is needed for either its Lion or iTunes software to be iCloud compatible, testers of the cloud-based service have been using pre-releases of Mac OS X 10.7.2 and iTunes 10.5 that were developed to deliver support.

iCloud is expected to roll out on Oct. 12, alongside iOS 5.

On Tuesday, Mac developers were issued a gold master of Mac OSX 10.7.2, which means the software is finalized and being prepared for release. iTunes 10.5, however, remains in beta.
post #2 of 53
Makes sense, they don't want to collapse their servers on Friday with all the activations etc.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #3 of 53
If you are currently a MobileMe subscriber, I would think it would be prudent to wait for the MobileMe-to-iCloud migration instructions from Apple.

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

 

 

 

Reply

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

 

 

 

Reply
post #4 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertP View Post

If you are currently a MobileMe subscriber, I would think it would be prudent to wait for the MobileMe-to-iCloud migration instructions from Apple.

I used to be a subscriber, until Apple made it free. Now I'm a user.

Because it is an integral part of my business, I will definitely take your advice.
post #5 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

I used to be a subscriber, until Apple made it free. Now I'm a user.

Because it is an integral part of my business, I will definitely take your advice.

I forgot about the 'free' service. Mine was extended. You are smart to protect your liveihood.

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

 

 

 

Reply

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

 

 

 

Reply
post #6 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

I used to be a subscriber, until Apple made it free. Now I'm a user.

Because it is an integral part of my business, I will definitely take your advice.

if for business as well- make sure you explicitly backup E-mail (including mailboxes), Contacts, Calendar, etc. (with Archiving from those apps) - this is going to be a major switchover and will not go 100% smoothly

ken
post #7 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenliles View Post

if for business as well- make sure you explicitly backup E-mail (including mailboxes), Contacts, Calendar, etc. (with Archiving from those apps) - this is going to be a major switchover and will not go 100% smoothly

ken

The current migration beta for mobile me - icloud worked as easy as pie for developers. But I was a bit surprised for what ever reason that they couldnt handle the iphone 4s pre-sales
post #8 of 53
iPhoto too, right?
post #9 of 53
I noticed earlier that http://www.apple.com/icloud/ already has a link at the bottom of it for "Download iTunes 10.5 free."

Clicking it seems to take you to the normal iTunes download page which still lists iTunes 10.5 as "coming soon"...
post #10 of 53
Ideally the new Mac OS release will come out early Monday. Also shouldn't we expect an iWork for Mac update too?

By the way to reiterate what has already been mentioned - Backup!
post #11 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertP View Post

If you are currently a MobileMe subscriber, I would think it would be prudent to wait for the MobileMe-to-iCloud migration instructions from Apple.

I agree!! I'm not going to upgrade system software, iTunes, or register for iCloud until Apple has a way to merge my MobileMe account with my iTunes account. I have Mac App store purchases on my MobileMe ID and music and video purchases on my iTunes ID.

The irony is both AppleIDs have the same MobileMe email address as its primary email, but Apple has not so far allow me to merge into one AppleID.
post #12 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ippyboi View Post

The current migration beta for mobile me - icloud worked as easy as pie for developers. But I was a bit surprised for what ever reason that they couldnt handle the iphone 4s pre-sales

I tried to buy my iPhone at midnight and gave up after 1.5 hours. went back at 0600 Pacific time and was able to early complete my purchase. Apple's site was fine for the most part. I only really had trouble when Apple had to verify account info with AT&T.
post #13 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

I agree!! I'm not going to upgrade system software, iTunes, or register for iCloud until Apple has a way to merge my MobileMe account with my iTunes account. I have Mac App store purchases on my MobileMe ID and music and video purchases on my iTunes ID.

The irony is both AppleIDs have the same MobileMe email address as its primary email, but Apple has not so far allow me to merge into one AppleID.

Apple posted the following:

If I use different accounts for iTunes and MobileMe, can I merge them into a single account and use it with*iCloud?
No. You cannot merge two accounts into one. However, you will be able to move your MobileMe account (yourname@me.com) to iCloud and, if you choose, you can continue to use a different iTunes account for store purchases and iTunes in the Cloud.

I also notice on the Apple are now advising people to merge Apple ID's to an email address in the apple ID section..

https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/We...MyAppleId.woa/
post #14 of 53
Does anyone know if this update will remove access to iDisk? I'd like to continue using it until my subscription finishes.
post #15 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymccrae View Post

Does anyone know if this update will remove access to iDisk? I'd like to continue using it until my subscription finishes.

idisk and iweb will still work until june 2012 even after you migrate to cloud as long as you have an active mobile me account
post #16 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymccrae View Post

Does anyone know if this update will remove access to iDisk? I'd like to continue using it until my subscription finishes.

Here's a link from the MobileMe home page:

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/transition.html

It covers this topic and other related issues. I suggest you read it.
post #17 of 53
I have not seen any clear statement how iCloud is going to work (or going to NOT work) if you have Apple IDs from multiple countries. Lot's of people have residence in multiple countries (or at least bank accounts and credit cards) and since the iTunes Store rollout was everything but simultaneous they will have created their first Apple (Store) ID in the country that first got the store (or first got movies etc.) but later created a second ID in another country as that country got the iTunes Store.

It is by definition impossible to merge IDs from different countries, as an ID is defined by the funding method and lots of content is not available in all countries. At best, iCloud will be limited to one ID and all apps, music, movies purchased with the other ID will only be available on your Mac but not anymore on your iOS devices (which is rather pointless for apps but also for music). Most likely your only solution is to not activate iCloud and continue as you have done with iOS 4. Great job Apple.
post #18 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

I have not seen any clear statement how iCloud is going to work (or going to NOT work) if you have Apple IDs from multiple countries. Lot's of people have residence in multiple countries (or at least bank accounts and credit cards) and since the iTunes Store rollout was everything but simultaneous they will have created their first Apple (Store) ID in the country that first got the store (or first got movies etc.) but later created a second ID in another country as that country got the iTunes Store.

It is by definition impossible to merge IDs from different countries, as an ID is defined by the funding method and lots of content is not available in all countries. At best, iCloud will be limited to one ID and all apps, music, movies purchased with the other ID will only be available on your Mac but not anymore on your iOS devices (which is rather pointless for apps but also for music). Most likely your only solution is to not activate iCloud and continue as you have done with iOS 4. Great job Apple.

Can you suggest a reasonable solution? No seriously, I'm interested. You stated massive reasons why Ids couldn't be merged (different content in different countries) then go on to knock Apple for not enabling what you show to be an impossible scenario. So please, share a thorough, holistic vision of you'd think iCloud would work with multiple IDs with multiple countries while addressing the concerns of multiple licensing agreements of different geographical areas. That's the reason you're only supposed to have one ID from one country. But as always, people want to set things up in a different way than whats expected/recommended, then expect all services to function 100% as they're supposed to- which is utterly illogical and unrealistic. I too, have multiple IDs, one for Canada and one for the US. But I don't expect the ability to merge them, because it flies in the face of the entire POINT of an ID, and neither do I expect iCloud to sync content from multiple IDs at the same time, because that would make no sense, potentially create a ton of issues, get Apple in trouble with its licensing partners, and woud simply be unrealistic on so many levels. Would I complain if it did somehow work? No, but neither can I conceptualize a scenario where it COULD work, and I'm level-headed and reasonable enough to understand the inherent unfeasibility of these scenarios.
post #19 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Ideally the new Mac OS release will come out early Monday. Also shouldn't we expect an iWork for Mac update too?

By the way to reiterate what has already been mentioned - Backup!

I love the fact that I don't really have to take your advice (though it's good advice), because it's just happening thanks to Time Machine!

It's only when things like this come along (and OS upgrades) that I even think about backing up - and before it used to take me ages to get organized to do a backup before I could upgrade anything, but now it's just doing it. All the time. Without me!

It's amazing to think how much better computer use has come thanks to things Apple have put into the OS that you don't really notice from day to day, but it's definitely making things a lot better.

I'm wondering what part of iOS 5 and iCloud will soon be such an integral part of my technology usage that I just don't think about it anymore......
post #20 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Can you suggest a reasonable solution? No seriously, I'm interested. You stated massive reasons why Ids couldn't be merged (different content in different countries) then go on to knock Apple for not enabling what you show to be an impossible scenario. So please, share a thorough, holistic vision of you'd think iCloud would work with multiple IDs with multiple countries while addressing the concerns of multiple licensing agreements of different geographical areas. That's the reason you're only supposed to have one ID from one country. But as always, people want to set things up in a different way than whats expected/recommended, then expect all services to function 100% as they're supposed to- which is utterly illogical and unrealistic. I too, have multiple IDs, one for Canada and one for the US. But I don't expect the ability to merge them, because it flies in the face of the entire POINT of an ID.

I should have prefaced my post with an explanation why we even discuss the issue of merging IDs (even on the national level). Because iOS 5, or rather iCloud, won't allow us to link multiple iTunes Store IDs to one iCloud ID. I am not talking about merging, I am talking about linking.

Since the beginning of the iTMS, it was possible to link multiple Store IDs to one iTunes library. And as a consequence we can buy DRM-ed material (apps, movies) with multiple IDs and play and use them side-by-side in iTunes and in our iOS devices. I can log into one Apple ID on my iOS device and buy an app but all my apps purchased with another Apple ID keep working. Since iTunes was the hub, the 'truth', anything that worked in it also worked on iOS devices. But with the iCloud server becoming the hub, this new hub needs to gain the ability to administer multiple Apple IDs in exactly the same way as iTunes does it today.

Thus, the only thing Apple has to do is to allow the linking of multiple Apple IDs to one iCloud ID or to allow the linking of an iOS device to multiple iCloud IDs (though I think the former is much easier). I don't see where the legal or practical problems should be if iTunes already today can do this.
post #21 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

I have not seen any clear statement how iCloud is going to work (or going to NOT work) if you have Apple IDs from multiple countries.

That's not really an iCloud issue. That's an iTunes issue.

iCloud is about your contacts, calendars etc. Yes if your id is also an iTunes using ID you have the whole redownloading, if that is available in the appropriate country. But you could use a totally different ID for your backups.

As for the iTunes, because they are linked to different currency and copyright, there won't ever be any merging. I suppose you could get around some of it if one of your IDs is in the US and get iTunes Match. With luck at least some of the tracks have made it to US release and/or the system won't balk at you uploading them. But that might not work perfectly due to the various copyright issues

As for why they don't allow the merging of IDs even within a country, I can only consider that it is due to various legal concerns. For example, how will they prove that in fact you are the rightful owner of said ID and not say someone that hacked the password to make it look like it is yours. Or it actually belongs to your now Ex and she/he never changed the password from the one you knew and this is some plot to be nasty to them by stealing their account from them.


Quote:
Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

But with the iCloud server becoming the hub, this new hub needs to gain the ability to administer multiple Apple IDs in exactly the same way as iTunes does it today.


or it doesn't. Your iPhone etc already has the ability to use material from more than one account in terms of songs, tv shows, apps etc. There's no reason to assume that any data backups of content from inside those apps must be in the same account that bought the app, which is really the only reason why iCloud would need to administer several ids. It could end up being totally possible that the two issues aren't linked and you can have one iCloud account that covers everything regardless of what Apple ID bought the app in the first place.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #22 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

As for why they don't allow the merging of IDs even within a country, I can only consider that it is due to various legal concerns. For example, how will they prove that in fact you are the rightful owner of said ID and not say someone that hacked the password to make it look like it is yours. Or it actually belongs to your now Ex and she/he never changed the password from the one you knew and this is some plot to be nasty to them by stealing their account from them.

Except that this is no issue today with authorising iTunes for multiple Apple IDs (including your Ex's if you know the password). Apple put a lid on this by allowing only five physical computers to be authorised with one Apple ID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

or it doesn't. Your iPhone etc already has the ability to use material from more than one account in terms of songs, tv shows, apps etc. There's no reason to assume that any data backups of content from inside those apps must be in the same account that bought the app, which is really the only reason why iCloud would need to administer several ids. It could end up being totally possible that the two issues aren't linked and you can have one iCloud account that covers everything regardless of what Apple ID bought the app in the first place.

Except that we know from the developer releases of iOS 5 that you cannot change the Apple ID more than something like once per months on your iOS devices whereas today you can log in and out of as many IDs as you want as often as you want.

I am not saying Apple will not, in the end, offer a solution for this issue. It is just that we have not seen it yet.
post #23 of 53
Think about it a bit, we will be updating every Apple device we own!!! Time machine is nice and all but it is hard to truly call it a backup anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I love the fact that I don't really have to take your advice (though it's good advice), because it's just happening thanks to Time Machine!

Do make sure Time Machine is backing up everything that is important to you.
Quote:
It's only when things like this come along (and OS upgrades) that I even think about backing up - and before it used to take me ages to get organized to do a backup before I could upgrade anything, but now it's just doing it. All the time. Without me!

It's amazing to think how much better computer use has come thanks to things Apple have put into the OS that you don't really notice from day to day, but it's definitely making things a lot better.

Better is right, each release of Mac OS just keeps getting better. Further the transition to Lion has been very smooth.
Quote:
I'm wondering what part of iOS 5 and iCloud will soon be such an integral part of my technology usage that I just don't think about it anymore......

I know right now that the calendar and address book get used far more than I ever expected. ICal syncing is truly wonderful, useful and hard to get by without. Likewise with address syncing. Simple features on a cell phone that are vastly more useful with syncing that is transparent. So with iOS I'm expecting that syncing will be the technology used most transparently.
post #24 of 53
Sweet. I might actually consider subscribing to a higher storage tier for a service like this. Maybe get rid of Dropbox.
post #25 of 53
Time for Lion? Sounds like we Snow Leopard hold-outs might get left out of the cloud....
post #26 of 53
To add to the discussion about merging accounts, what about those like me who started purchasing stuff off of iTunes forever and a day ago and had that Apple ID, and then later signed up for MobileMe? I now have my MobileMe account that I really want to use as my primary for everything. It currently does all my email, contacts, calendar, and file syncing. But I still have to use my old Apple ID for iTunes because it has all of my purchases on it. Because MobileMe (and now iCloud) accounts are immediately considered an Apple ID upon creation and don't exist before creation, we have no way of merging the two accounts. I can't simply add my MobileMe email address to my iTunes Apple ID and then use it for purchases from here on out because it's already a different Apple ID. But if I start using my MobileMe account for purchases and to try transition that way it'll be years (if ever) before my old purchases fall by the wayside or are put on sale for free to be downloaded again. iTunes Match has the potential to alleviate the music portion for a one time $25 fee and some re-downloading, but movies, apps, and books then are still left out in the cold. And not just iTunes purchases, but Apple products and AppleCare that I've registered.

So here's a good reason and use case for merging accounts: user convenience and service simplicity. Apple's solution is neither convenient or simple for the end user. Apple is expected to "sweat the details" so the end user doesn't have to. I'm quite surprised there isn't even a very limited merging ability, like when you first create your MobileMe/iCloud account you're presented the option of replacing ONE previous Apple ID (so more of a replace than a merge). That at least would be a start.

*sigh* I guess I should just resign myself to forever juggling 2 accounts. \
post #27 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solowalker View Post

To add to the discussion about merging accounts, what about those like me who started purchasing stuff off of iTunes forever and a day ago and had that Apple ID, and then later signed up for MobileMe? I now have my MobileMe account that I really want to use as my primary for everything. It currently does all my email, contacts, calendar, and file syncing. But I still have to use my old Apple ID for iTunes because it has all of my purchases on it. Because MobileMe (and now iCloud) accounts are immediately considered an Apple ID upon creation and don't exist before creation, we have no way of merging the two accounts. I can't simply add my MobileMe email address to my iTunes Apple ID and then use it for purchases from here on out because it's already a different Apple ID. But if I start using my MobileMe account for purchases and to try transition that way it'll be years (if ever) before my old purchases fall by the wayside or are put on sale for free to be downloaded again. iTunes Match has the potential to alleviate the music portion for a one time $25 fee and some re-downloading, but movies, apps, and books then are still left out in the cold. And not just iTunes purchases, but Apple products and AppleCare that I've registered.

So here's a good reason and use case for merging accounts: user convenience and service simplicity. Apple's solution is neither convenient or simple for the end user. Apple is expected to "sweat the details" so the end user doesn't have to. I'm quite surprised there isn't even a very limited merging ability, like when you first create your MobileMe/iCloud account you're presented the option of replacing ONE previous Apple ID (so more of a replace than a merge). That at least would be a start.

*sigh* I guess I should just resign myself to forever juggling 2 accounts. \

why? Mobileme will soon be dead. Icloud uses your apple id. Only one account, only one sign in. It really is that simple. As for people with multiple itunes accounts, that's a tiny minority of people who cheated cross border copyright and release restrictions, and these people are already used to multiple sign ins.
post #28 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

Time for Lion? Sounds like we Snow Leopard hold-outs might get left out of the cloud....

Yup, latest technologies require latest operating systems and hardware. That's the nature of technology, although i will say that apple try as hard as any other company to maintain compatibility with kit and os for about two years back. My ipad 1 is about to run OS5, as a free upgrade. Not bad for two year old kit.
post #29 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Yup, latest technologies require latest operating systems and hardware. That's the nature of technology, although i will say that apple try as hard as any other company to maintain compatibility with kit and os for about two years back. My ipad 1 is about to run OS5, as a free upgrade. Not bad for two year old kit.

Not complaining. Just hadn't see anything official yet. Probably take care of it this weekend before the crush.
post #30 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

Not complaining. Just hadn't see anything official yet. Probably take care of it this weekend before the crush.

I'm hoping for snowleopard compatible updates to ilfe and iwork allowing icloud functionality, i just think icloud is aimed squarely at ios devices and every ios device under two years old will run ios5, so no one will reasonably be left out in the cold.

Ed. Not forgetting itunes match and all the other itunes functionality will run under snowleopard...
post #31 of 53
You dont get it! I laughed at the TV screen. The CNBC stock analysts smugly snickered to each other about how the new product being presented by Steve Jobs was going*flop. They agreed that he may have lost his magic. Their argument centered on three things:

1) Its name was undesirable. It reminded people of a feminine hygiene product.
2) It was doomed to fail. Other companies like Dell, IBM and Microsoft provided similar products in the past. Barely anyone bought them.
3) There was no obvious need for a new in-between device.

That event, when the iPad was introduced by Steve in early 2010, combined with the early reaction from the media, changed me. I had an epiphany. I remember seeing the same media responses for the iPod and iPhone events. How did they not notice what was so obvious? I, like Steve, imagined doctors showing patients digital x-rays with the iPad. I saw teachers using it in classrooms and students doing homework with it. Dads would use it for presentations and reports. Moms could read emails and magazines, perusing websites and playing games, all on the couch. Kids would watch TV and movies in the back seat of the car. I saw what Steve saw. There was only a small minority that knew right from the beginning what a revolutionary device it was. Soon, within months, iPad fever caught on.

Now, I see a similar response to the iPhone 4S. We waited a year and a half for this? is what some people question. I see blogs and news reports all touting how lackluster the iPhone 4S is. People wanted a redesigned phone with LTE 4G speed. They wanted NFC (near field communications) where they could swipe and pay. They wanted a bigger screen that looked like some of these monsters Google and Samsung are producing. Well, guess what?

You dont get it. Again.

We all know that the difference between Apple and other companies is Apples ability to take products and technologies, sometimes other companies creations, and makes them more beautiful, relevant and practical. They have done this better than anyone in history. Now, we are witnessing their best work and Steve Jobs masterpiece, and barely anyone seems to notice.

I am not talking about the 8MB camera or the world phone capabilities or the dual antenna of the iPhone 4S. I am talking about two things that are about to change our world forever.

1) Cloud computing. No longer will we be restricted to one laptop or desktop for our documents, pictures, video, email, software, songs, art or anything else. Where we go, our stuff goes. On any device. iPhone, MacBook, iMac, iPad. Yes this technology existed in other devices, but as it was,*it lacked*functionality. The iOS 5 release changes that.

2) Artificial Intelligence. Siri on iPhone 4S lets us use our voices to send messages, schedule meetings, place phone calls all by talking the way we talk. Apple states that we are actually having a conversation with our iPhone. In reality, this is the first device that has a UI (user interface) that is verbal and functional throughout the core system. This technology has been around for a while, but it has never been applied properly and it was never very accurate. We have seen it is movies and our dreams, but that is where it stayed.

Do you get it yet? Now is the time and now we have the right devices. The customers (us) have matured. Steve saw a dad waking up in the morning and saying Siri, start my coffee, and then the iPhone would send a message to the coffee maker. Steve wanted Moms to say Siri, how do I get rid of this rash? while they held the camera to their arm. Siri would recommend an anti-fungal cream.

Steve could see a child asking Siri, where is Grandpa? only to find out he is a few blocks away driving in the childs direction. Steve saw a million possibilities.

The iPhone 4s is much bigger and more special than most people yet realize. iCould is the proliferation of digital freedom. Siri is the beginning of verbal user interfaces combined with artificial intelligence.

We are about to go on a ride that is limitless. Steve got it. Soon, we will all get it.
MacBook Pro, iMac, iPad 2, iPhone 4S
Please visit my simple and personal blog at www.simbarhoum.com
Reply
MacBook Pro, iMac, iPad 2, iPhone 4S
Please visit my simple and personal blog at www.simbarhoum.com
Reply
post #32 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsonic View Post

Do you get it yet? Now is the time and now we have the right devices. The customers (us) have matured. Steve saw a dad waking up in the morning and saying Siri, start my coffee, and then the iPhone would send a message to the coffee maker. Steve wanted Moms to say Siri, how do I get rid of this rash? while they held the camera to their arm. Siri would recommend an anti-fungal cream.

Steve could see a child asking Siri, where is Grandpa? only to find out he is a few blocks away driving in the childs direction. Steve saw a million possibilities.

The iPhone 4s is much bigger and more special than most people yet realize. iCould is the proliferation of digital freedom. Siri is the beginning of verbal user interfaces combined with artificial intelligence.

We are about to go on a ride that is limitless. Steve got it. Soon, we will all get it.

Then Siri gets too smart, sends the blender and kitchen knives after us, cars explode, planes crash, and humanity dies.

Seriously though- Good write up- I actually liked it.

About NFC. I thought it would be cool, but unless you can access it really really fast- it's a gimmick. It most likely will have a password- so I have to open lock screen, then app, then password. In 1/4 the time I just pull out my wallet and swipe. Now finger print recognition on the home screen w/ easy access button (like the camera) instead of password or pin number and apps... And now were talkin...

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #33 of 53
Any word on that once rumoured 10.6.9 update to bring iCloud integration to Snow Leopard?
post #34 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

why? Mobileme will soon be dead. Icloud uses your apple id. Only one account, only one sign in. It really is that simple. As for people with multiple itunes accounts, that's a tiny minority of people who cheated cross border copyright and release restrictions, and these people are already used to multiple sign ins.

You're completely missing the point. My MobileMe ID is my email address. MobileMe will be dead forcing me into iCloud and if I should use my iTunes AppleID, which is just not using the @me.com part of MM, to register for iCloud, I'll lose my email address and Apple hasn't allowed me to change the AppleID [address], which has all my purchase history and was used at iTunes before email addresses were required as IDs, to [address]@me.com because it is already taken as a MobileMe AppleID. But it's taken by ME with all personal, email, and CC info the same in iTunes and MobileMe. Apple just refused to see they are the same person. Not merging these account will negate all the benefits of iCloud and screw all syncing across devices.

I didn't cheat anyone Apple did this to me during the transition from .Mac to MobileMe. Apple didn't give me an option as I showed above. The servers refused to accept the address.
post #35 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsonic View Post

You dont get it! I laughed at the TV screen. The CNBC stock analysts smugly snickered to each other about how the new product being presented by Steve Jobs was going*flop. They agreed that he may have lost his magic. Their argument centered on three things:
...

The iPhone 4s is much bigger and more special than most people yet realize. iCould is the proliferation of digital freedom. Siri is the beginning of verbal user interfaces combined with artificial intelligence.

We are about to go on a ride that is limitless. Steve got it. Soon, we will all get it.

Excellent Post! Though it will end up on dead ears on this forum as you will find people neat picking on the posts v/s the real message.

First, most of the intelligent people from CNBC has left the show! CNBC only does lip services to day-traders, hedge fund managers and news that increases their rating! Sadly I watch them because the alternatives are no better (and I hate Fox). BTW, I believe you were talking about bozos on FastMoney - And if you watch that show, they all have iPad sitting in front of them!

As far as iPhone 4S goes - Same sentiments as you! I have posted exactly what you mentioned here and other places. First, there were no concrete evidence of iPhone 5 - The speculation was built up by media and Wall Street analysts (another collection of bozos). The introduction of iPhone 4S is an excellent move by Apple. It is cheaper, but faster and broader availability. It addresses few of the hardware features that it was behind the competitor (though, personally I am happy with iPhone 4 specs). But, the real feature of this iPhone 4s is really iOS 5 and obviously Siri - The message is the the Apple ecosystem, once again. Also, I think there is a pattern on iPhone hardware releases - Every form fact change will have two releases (iPhone 3G and 3GS, iPhone 4 and 4S) I guess the number has spoken - Another record - 200,000 iPhone 4S were sold in less than 12 hours.
post #36 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

...Another record - 200,000 iPhone 4S were sold in less than 12 hours.

Note that was one carrier (AT&T) and from one of seven countries getting the iPhone this Friday (not sure if they all had pre-order as an option).

It's rumoured they started production in August and if we can use the iPhone 4's launch history as a clue I think we can expect at least 3 millions sold opening weekend. Last year the iPhone 4 sold only to AT&T in the US, only 3 other countries outside the USA, and what I assume is considerably less demand and managed to push 1.7 million units.

PS: This rumoured production ramp up makes sense with 7 countries instead of 4 and 3x the carriers in the US but I can't help but wonder if Apple is trying to steal the "Fastest-Selling Consumer Electronics Device" crown from MS's Kinect. It sold 8 million units in the first 60 days.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #37 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

Your completely missing the point. My MobileMe ID is my email address. MobileMe will be dead forcing me into iCloud and if I should use my iTunes AppleID, which is just not using the @me.com part of MM, to register for iCloud, I'll lose my email address and Apple hasn't allowed me to change the AppleID [address], which was used at iTunes before email addresses were required as IDs, to [address]@me.com because it is already taken as a MobileMe AppleID. But it's taken by ME with all personal, email, and CC info the same in iTunes and MobileMe. Apple just refused to see they are the same person. Not merging these account will negate all the benefits of iCloud and screw all syncing across devices.

I didn't cheat anyone Apple did this to me during the transition from .Mac to MobileMe. Apple didn't give me an option as I showed above. The servers refused to accept the address.

Actually, I am also interested in how this is going to pan out for me. We have multiple iOS devices - 2 iPhone, 1 iPad and 2 iPod touch, which are all synced and using one iTunes account and they are all synced using one MacBook. For starter, I am glad that iCloud would help me manage the purchases better than what I have today. But, I am concerned how is PhotoStream, docs, contacts, email, calendar, etc. is going to work in cloud? It would be nice if I can continue to use my iTunes id for all my devices for Music, movies, books, apps - But for PhotoStream, docs, contacts, email, calendar it uses the new @me.com account per device. This way, all of the devices are syncing up in cloud and my Mac is not involved anymore - Except for backing up the photos once a month or when there are more than 1000 pics (to handle the 30 days and 1000 photo limitations for Free accounts)
post #38 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertP View Post

If you are currently a MobileMe subscriber, I would think it would be prudent to wait for the MobileMe-to-iCloud migration instructions from Apple.

I agree, though it will be interesting to see what instructions they have, given Apple's history of damaging people's data.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply
post #39 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

I agree!! I'm not going to upgrade system software, iTunes, or register for iCloud until Apple has a way to merge my MobileMe account with my iTunes account. I have Mac App store purchases on my MobileMe ID and music and video purchases on my iTunes ID.

The irony is both AppleIDs have the same MobileMe email address as its primary email, but Apple has not so far allow me to merge into one AppleID.

When I switched to Mac I already had a ton of iTunes purchases under a hotmail iTunes id.
Apple is the only reason that hotmail account is still alive. My music is encoded to it and iTunes cannot re-code my music for my .me ID.

I'd like to see Tim Cook set up a department in Apple called the Think Normal group, to tidy up after all that thinking differently.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply
post #40 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXT View Post

When I switched to Mac I already had a ton of iTunes purchases under a hotmail iTunes id.
Apple is the only reason that hotmail account is still alive. My music is encoded to it and iTunes cannot re-code my music for my .me ID.

I'd like to see Tim Cook set up a department in Apple called the Think Normal group, to tidy up after all that thinking differently.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Mac OS X Lion and iTunes to get iCloud software ahead of iOS