or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sets new record with 1M iPhone 4S sales on first day

Apple sets new record with 1M iPhone 4S sales on first day

post #1 of 205
Apple on Monday announced that its new iPhone 4S sold one million preorders in its first 24 hours of availability, setting a new record for the company.

"We are blown away with the incredible customer response to iPhone 4S," said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "The first day preorders for iPhone 4S have been the most for any new product that Apple has ever launched and we are thrilled that customers love iPhone 4S as much as we do."

The million sales surpass the previous single-day preorder record of 600,000 set by the iPhone 4 when it launched in 2010. Total sales on the launch day of the iPhone 4 reached 1.7 million, which tied the sales record previously set by the iPhone 3GS.

Of course, the iPhone 4 eventually went on to become Apple's best-selling smartphone in its history. Total iPhone sales reached 20.34 million in the last quarter alone, a record for the company.

The first indication that the iPhone 4S would break records came on Friday, when AT&T announced that preorders had topped 200,000 in the first 12 hours of availability. That number was the highest sum ever for any handset sold by the company, which is the second-largest carrier in the U.S.

Since preorders became available last Friday, Apple quickly sold out of handsets available on this Friday's launch date. New orders placed through Apple's website are given an estimated wait time of one to two weeks before the handset will ship.

The iPhone 4S will be available at all 245 Apple retail stores in the U.S. beginning at 8 a.m. local time on Friday, Oct. 14. It also marks the first time that the handset will be available from wireless provider Sprint, which is joining AT&T and Verizon as an authorized carrier.

The iPhone 4S is available in either black or white for $199 for the 16GB model, and $299 for the 32GB model, and $399 for the new 64GB model in the U.S. In addition to America, it will be available in Canada, Australia, the U.K., France, Germany and Japan this Friday, making it the fastest iPhone roll-out Apple has ever had.

Availability of the iPhone 4S will expand worldwide to 22 more countries by the end of October including Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
post #2 of 205
My lord Goodness. Mind BLOWN!

This doesn't even included the sales for the regular 4 and 3GS. Go Apple!
post #3 of 205
Sold or sales in the title and first paragraph should really say pre-orders.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #4 of 205
Where are alll the people who were soooooooo dissappointed that there was no iPhone 5 AND because there was no iPhone 5 AND they were sooooooo disappointed they claimed the 4S would be a dud? I'll bet they crawled back under their rocks!
post #5 of 205
I got mine.
post #6 of 205
I wonder if Mr Steve's passing has had an affect....
post #7 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"The first day preorders for iPhone 4S have been the most for any new product that Apple has ever launched and we are thrilled that customers love iPhone 4S as much as we do."

Yep, looks like people were right. This thing is going to flop, iOS usage will drop to below 5%, and Droids will take over the earth. Mark it down!

</s>
post #8 of 205
Most people don't follow rumor sites. iPhone 4s is a decent upgrade.
post #9 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

I wonder if Mr Steve's passing has had an affect....

Maybe both an affect and an effect!
post #10 of 205
Me too!

I wonder if that's just pre orders that just go through the Apple site, or if it includes pre orders that were placed through the carriers websites?
post #11 of 205
mine already Shipped !!!!
post #12 of 205
What about China???
post #13 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

Where are alll the people who were soooooooo dissappointed that there was no iPhone 5

They are all still out there.
post #14 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Sold or sales in the title and first paragraph should really say pre-orders.

Seeing how they've already debited my card for it, I think it's fair to say "sold". (but not "delivered". )
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #15 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by resnyc View Post

Maybe both an affect and an effect!

You ass!
post #16 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

... and grumpy as ever, I'm sure.

Reminds me of a Steve quote I read recently, though I'm about to butcher it (and so I use quotes loosely):

"It's difficult to show people what they want when they don't know what it looks like."
post #17 of 205
Quote:

Where are alll the people who were soooooooo dissappointed that there was no iPhone 5 AND because there was no iPhone 5 AND they were sooooooo disappointed they claimed the 4S would be a dud? I'll bet they crawled back under their rocks!

I'm disappointed and considered holding off new phone purchase or even look elsewhere but after Steve passing I'll definitely buy it.
Just got iPad 2 too.
post #18 of 205
Quote:

It's the arrogance of the bloggers & analysts that they think they speak for the people. I think it's been quite obvious for some time now that they don't really have a clue what people look for in a phone.

Apple didn't deliver a lot of super bells & whistles, they delivered a super polished device. To be quite honest I think what they were really upset about is that the form factor didn't change and the screen wasn't bigger. I really don't get the bigger screen thing, if you need a bigger screen get a tablet for crying out loud.

I forget the article now but I know it was in reference to customer satisfaction. I'm pretty sure stability/reliability is like #1 on peoples list for why they use a specific brand. Apple has %89 retention rate, HTC %39, and Samsung %28. It really doesn't mean anything at all how many you sell, a true measure of brand is how many customers you keep. Yeah I've heard the arguments that some of those are Android users switching to another brand but fact is people will keep buying what they bought before if they really liked it. %61 of HTC users decided they didn't want another HTC, %72 of Samsung users decided they didn't want another Samsung, that's the bottom line.

Oh, and %11 of iPhone users thought they'd find something better in an Android phone.
post #19 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I'm disappointed and considered holding off new phone purchase or even look elsewhere but after Steve passing I'll definitely buy it.
Just got iPad 2 too.

Tell me - have you ever before chosen to purchase a product due to the death of the manufacturer's CEO?
post #20 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

It's the arrogance of the bloggers & analysts that they think they speak for the people. I think it's been quite obvious for some time now that they don't really have a clue what people look for in a phone.

Apple didn't deliver a lot of super bells & whistles, they delivered a super polished device. To be quite honest I think what they were really upset about is that the form factor didn't change and the screen wasn't bigger. I really don't get the bigger screen thing, if you need a bigger screen get a tablet for crying out loud.

I forget the article now but I know it was in reference to customer satisfaction. I'm pretty sure stability/reliability is like #1 on peoples list for why they use a specific brand. Apple has %89 retention rate, HTC %39, and Samsung %28. It really doesn't mean anything at all how many you sell, a true measure of brand is how many customers you keep. Yeah I've heard the arguments that some of those are Android users switching to another brand but fact is people will keep buying what they bought before if they really liked it. %61 of HTC users decided they didn't want another HTC, %72 of Samsung users decided they didn't want another Samsung, that's the bottom line.

Oh, and %11 of iPhone users thought they'd find something better in an Android phone.

Apple defintely has a good chance to win back Android users, and keep them. Using an Apple machine is a valve, going to Android is a revolving door.
post #21 of 205
Quote:

Tell me - have you ever before chosen to purchase a product due to the death of the manufacturer's CEO?

I'm never fond of CEO. Even hate all of them, but one.
post #22 of 205
I think this is Apple pre-orders only. Otherwise I would have expected a higher jump, given then larger installed base and the larger number of carriers even in the . Most people, however, will buy from their carrier. I will be in O2 - who dont have online ordering - on Friday, getting rid of the trusty 3GS. ( the times we had). . Pre-Ordering from the APple store would have cost me a lot more.
post #23 of 205
I wasn't so quick. The first iPhone in my family is ordered today.
post #24 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

I was really tempted to get the Galaxy SII....but after having the Vibrant and it's lack of updates/force closing I just can't go back. Love their TVs. Love SuperAMOLED. Can't deal with the issues anymore.
post #25 of 205
People quickly got over this new iPhone not being named iPhone 5 I guess.

This phone is truly a deal maker. I'll be buying one this time around.
post #26 of 205
This sucks! There is no way that Apple/AT&T's servers are going to be able handle this number of activations smoothly...

My new iPhone 4S will be sitting in the box over the weekend. I will so bored.
post #27 of 205
Quote:

And they work at Consumer Reports!
post #28 of 205
Quote:

You do realize that unless they said "this won't sell" they can still have that opinion and not look stupid right?

Anywho...is anyone actually surprised? The iPhone will and should always sell well as long as it remains such a polished device/experience...that won't change soon if ever.
post #29 of 205
Question, if I want to get one in store....(LIKE ATT)....then what do I do? I mean, do they have instore preorders? (ATT). Do I stay outside? Do I have the plan set up before? I'm wondering...
post #30 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

You do realize that unless they said "this won't sell" they can still have that opinion and not look stupid right?

Anywho...is anyone actually surprised? The iPhone will and should always sell well as long as it remains such a polished device/experience...that won't change soon if ever.

Everything that has a beginning...has an end.
post #31 of 205
It is not surprising that there were record first-day preorders since iPhone 3GS owners have been out-of-contract for a few months since this is the longest Apple went between upgrades.

The real question how many of these are new customers. Simply 3GS owners upgrading would not bode well for Apple.
post #32 of 205
Quote:

Has there been a rash of CEO's dying lately?

Even if there were, still the purchasing of a product due to it would be assuaged by the fact that Steve, love him or hate him, had a more intimate relationship with the Apple faithful that spread over to the general public that would have probably said "Steve who?" then mention iPod creator and they say "Oh, that Steve!" and I don't really see or feel that with say a HTC's CEO, Ford's CEO, General Mills CEO, Dell's CEO, Amazon's CEO or MS CEO, etc.

I am sure there are quite a few "sympathy" purchases in the mix, but we'll never know.

The only other instance I see this "sympathy factory" even trying to be played is when a politician dies right before an election. Ted Kennedy is the latest that comes to mind, although that was probably more of a hinderance. Sen. Paul Wellstone, where at the Memorial for him became a pep rally / degradation of Republicans type event. That too didn't work out so well.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #33 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

It is not surprising that there were record first-day preorders since iPhone 3GS owners have been out-of-contract for a few months since this is the longest Apple went between upgrades.

The real question how many of these are new customers. Simply 3GS owners upgrading would not bode well for Apple.

No, which is one of the problems I had with the iPhone 4S not looking a bit different. Nevertheless I think that they will sell the 30M, or so, they expect this Q.

Although I was one of the people disappointed with the lack of a new form factor - I have been waiting 26 months or so - I have come around to the 4S being a good idea. Why? Simply to release a new form factor in the holiday Q is probably a bit suicidal. They would never have met demand. In short they would have have greater demand, and lesser sales.

( For that reason I think the 5 should be updated early next year, or the year after. Hopefully, next).
post #34 of 205
Do I start camping Wednesday night or Thursday night? Only question left.

Partner is flying early to WashDC Saturday and wants to take a working 4S. Apple phone lady originally told me not to preorder because there was no guarantee the phones would come Friday for sure. So it's the Store (shrine) camp-out.

Both on the 3GS so this will be a rock the socks upgrade!
post #35 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Everything that has a beginning...has an end.

Everything, perhaps, except the upward movement of Apple's stock price?
post #36 of 205
Keep in mind that there were plenty of people that waited out the Verizon iPhone 4 because a new iPhone was just around the corner. I'm sure some pent up demand helped. Besides, personally, i think the iPhone 4S was a pretty good upgrade. Dual core A5, faster graphics, Siri on steroids, new antenna... How much more would you want. Besides, I love the current form factor. That said, I'm not up for renewal until next Sept., so I'll be happy with my iPhone 4 until then.

It looks like the nay sayers were wrong.
post #37 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

I don't really see or feel that with say a HTC's CEO, Ford's CEO, General Mills CEO, Dell's CEO, Amazon's CEO or MS CEO, etc.

The only other example I can think of is Walt Disney. What happened when Edison died?
post #38 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinDon View Post

mine already Shipped !!!!

Good for you, hopefully that will bode well for me. I ordered my phone within 5 mins of the Apple Website coming online, still I'm in the UK not America and Apple tends to preference the US over everyone else.

Hope mine updates to shipped soon!

*Edit* Hmmmm, a tad confused by the Apple site. Under my order it shows "Processing Items" then a little blue arrow followed by "Dispatched: Ships by October 14th", I have the option to cancel my order, how can something be dispatched and yet I am able to cancel the order?
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #39 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Apple defintely has a good chance to win back Android users, and keep them. Using an Apple machine is a valve, going to Android is a revolving door.

Win back? Apple has lost very few users to Android. My brother made the switch because Verizon had not, yet, gotten the iPhone, but he cusses out his Droid X daily. He'll be back. Apple has a very high retention rate among users.
post #40 of 205
Quote:

It does seem like an irrational way to make buying decisions. This past year I've purchased, an AppleTV2, iPad2, Airport Extreme, Core i7 MacBook Air, iPhone 4GS. All because they were designed and engineered well and offered good value for the money invested, not because SJ was sick and dying. He put a lot of love and caring in these products and Apple. I mourn his passing but I don't show it by buying Apple products.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sets new record with 1M iPhone 4S sales on first day