or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › As iPhone 4S sets records, Apple's legacy models show strong sales too

As iPhone 4S sets records, Apple's legacy models show strong sales too - Page 2

post #41 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Probably closer to $80 a month and it's part of the existing budget. With less discretionary capital it's easier on the budget to continue paying the same $80 vs coming up with ~$216 in addition to the $80. The allure of the subsidized phone.

I was looking at the plans last night after reading another thread about the full price unlocked iPhone.

AT&T has a 10 cents a minute plan. So if you can get by with 150 minutes, for $15, add a small data plan for $15 and a txt plan for $5, that comes out to $35 a month. There is one question: They say "on qualified smartphones". I'm not sure if iPhone qualifies.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #42 of 81
Quote:

Probably closer to $80 a month

Which plan gets that low? It's possible for one line as part of a family plan, but for individual? Maybe with the 200 meg data plan and no texts at all on ATT (their text options are unlimited for $20 or none at all), but I doubt many buying an iPhone would opt for a plan that barely lets them use it.
post #43 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I was looking at the plans last night after reading another thread about the full price unlocked iPhone.

AT&T has a 10 cents a minute plan. So if you can get by with 150 minutes, for $15, add a small data plan for $15 and a txt plan for $5, that comes out to $35 a month. There is one question: They says "on qualified smartphones". I'm not sure if iPhone qualifies.

Man, if they do rollover, free nights and weekends, no cost in-network, it might make sense to move my parents to something like that. With iOS 5 iMessage to take care of txt usage and them talking mainly on the same wireless network to family and friends, they are capped on rollover minutes. Their data usage is my only.

Time to do some research. Thanks for the tip.
post #44 of 81
Just a head up people Sprint has a LOT of surcharges. They may seem "cheaper", but $20 in taxes and $20 in surcharges is too much WITH an employee discoutn.
post #45 of 81
Quote:

Man, if they do rollover, free nights and weekends, no cost in-network, it might make sense to move my parents to something like that. .

No it doesn't include any of that it is just 10 cents a minute, all the time. But some people don't even need 150 minutes. That was just an estimate. It could be lower depending on your usage. 100 megs of data is not much but if you are on wireless most of the time it might be ok. 5 dollars a month for 100 messages could be sufficient for parents. Keep in mind you have to buy a full price unlocked phone.

post #46 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

*Not all new tricks may be applicable to all old dogs. Some old dogs might be slower at new tricks than others. Inability of old dogs to perform new tricks is not the responsibility of the trick bearers. New tricks may make old dogs perform other, unanticipated actions. All nonstandard behavior by old dogs is handled at the owner's expense. All right reserved. Offer void in Utah.

hahahahhahahahaha
post #47 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Which plan gets that low? It's possible for one line as part of a family plan, but for individual? Maybe with the 200 meg data plan and no texts at all on ATT (their text options are unlimited for $20 or none at all), but I doubt many buying an iPhone would opt for a plan that barely lets them use it.

450mins\t $40
250 MB Data\t$15
Unlimited\ttxt $20

=$75

Those include rollover and unlimited nights/weekend/holidays, & in-network. So after Thuh Guvnuh gets its piece perhaps my $80 was low but by Price is Right rules ( ) I'm pretty close. If it's a couple with a family plan, the price goes down a good deal per handset.

I threw in that unlimited txt plan @ $25 instead of the 1500 @ $15 because the latter isn't offered anymore. Didn't mean to sound like I was quibbling - sorry. Main point is that people are attracted to seeing the same size bill each month so the subsidized phones fit. Riding out those spikes can be painful.
post #48 of 81
Quote:

450mins\t $40
250 MB Data\t$15
Unlimited\ttxt $20

=$75

Those include rollover and unlimited nights/weekend/holidays, & in-network. So after Thuh Guvnuh gets its piece perhaps my $80 was low but by Price is Right rules ( ) I'm pretty close. If it's a couple with a family plan, the price goes down a good deal per handset.

I threw in that unlimited txt plan @ $25 instead of the 1500 @ $15 because the latter isn't offered anymore. Didn't mean to sound like I was quibbling - sorry. Main point is that people are attracted to seeing the same size bill each month so the subsidized phones fit. Riding out those spikes can be painful.

I thought ul text was $30....
post #49 of 81
And for the record (though I wasn't saying this)

It seems the people saying "meh" on the 4S were speaking in terms of wow factor...granted the late great Mr. Jobs had a way about him that could make anything seem amazing so his not being there could've resulted in this general lack of awe.

I personally, refreshing the live blogs of about 4 sites, was unimpressed by the keynote, and the physical design of the device not changing due to all the hype I believed (though the 4's design is, in a word, beautiful).

The most fascinating thing about the entire keynote was Siri IMO....and that game's graphics.

There were a few idiots who said it wouldn't sell well (were they on AI? I didn't really venture in the iPhone 4S announcement thread) but the overall consensus was "meh but it'll sell."
post #50 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

No, the BOTTOM of the line plan with an iPhone is more than $1,000 per year.

Not in my universe.
post #51 of 81
Quote:

AT&T has a 10 cents a minute plan. So if you can get by with 150 minutes, for $15, add a small data plan for $15 and a txt plan for $5, that comes out to $35 a month. There is one question: They say "on qualified smartphones". I'm not sure if iPhone qualifies.

Interesting idea - looks like iPhones aren't supported but people have got some models to work. Since Apple is selling some unlocked versions it would be nice to be able to find out what options are available for those phones.
post #52 of 81
The Siri commercial did it for me. Period.
post #53 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Not in my universe.

The cheapest ATT plan with texts is $900 per year, with surcharges and taxes it's likely over $1k. If you go without texts that will get you lower.
post #54 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

This persistent disconnect between the reality of consumers' embrace of Apple products and the fantasy of certain tech pundits who consistently diss Apple's new products is really extraordinary. At what point are these guys going to finally look themselves in the mirror and ask "how have I become so out of touch with reality and what must I do to understand real-world consumers?"

My guess is that for many of them, that point will never come. They will just become increasingly bitter, focusing their efforts to appeal to a shrinking audience of disgruntled IT workers and aging PC DIYers who are also totally out of touch with reality. Losers.

Right On! They will never learn !
post #55 of 81
Quote:

The cheapest ATT plan with texts is $900 per year, with surcharges and taxes it's likely over $1k. If you go without texts that will get you lower.

I suspect many people already have phones on family plans. This makes the increment to go to an iPhone the cost of the phone up front, and the data plan. $15*12 = $180 to get an iPhone 3GS if it is replacing an existing phone in a family plan, and you can get by with the smallest data plan.

These are the people who the 3GS will appeal to...
post #56 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Everybody used to say that nobody would buy it. But now everybody is buying it, and nobody is saying it.

Well, for the record, I was one person on here saying that in the long run it wouldn't matter whether they called the phone 4S or 5, and/or whether the form factor changed. My reasoning was based on the (still) insatiable demand for the 3GS and the 4 (which, IMO, is the sexiest piece of gear on the face of the planet, so why mess with it).

Most people here disagreed with me and said that it would be a major mistake if the next iPhone was not the mythical "iPhone 5" and had a significant change to the form factor. Now, we see.

Thompson
post #57 of 81
Quote:

Yeah, the GoPhone SIM will work in the iPhone.

Instructions on how to do it.

The only thing that doesn't work is Visual Voicemail.

GoPhone is not really price competitive if your data needs are greater than 300MB per month.

Concerning the GoPhone data packages, the 100MB package at $15 is actually the poorest value. Apparently, unused GoPhone data will rollover if you buy another data package before the 30 days are up. You should consider buying the 500MB package at $25, then refreshing with a $5 plan. You'll get over twice as much data (510MB vs. 200MB) over two months at the same monthly cost of $15. By doing it this way, you're actually getting more data (255MB per month) on GoPhone versus the same $15 (250MB) on the cheapest contract data plan.

I've estimated my own usage and I think I'll end up averaging $15-18 per month with GoPhone, mostly in data charges. I use Google Voice, so the vast majority of daytime calls actually ring my work phone and texting is free. You can use the Talkatone app for free outgoing Google Voice calls over WiFi.

By my calculations, if I go with a factory unlocked iPhone plus GoPhone prepaid service, the break even point is eleven months versus the cheapest AT&T contract plan (at $55/mo) and a subsidized phone (which has an activation charge).
post #58 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I agree, but the thIng is that the tech writers have to be contrary and if there is no natural conflict they must make it up. How boring would it be if all journalists and commentators agreed? It is in their nature to point out that we are all wrong and that they have the solution. The more dominant the leader the more dissenting the voices. Besides, us ApPle folks love being the underdog, don't we? It's a much more fun to be.

good points -- there is definitely a return to click-bait articles.
post #59 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsimpsen View Post

This same disconnect occurred for Pixar movies. Just prior to each new release, the "experts" would remind us all that Pixar was bound to produce a dud, as the "law of reversion to mean" is unbreakable.

What they failed to consider was that the law of reversion to mean doesn't actually exist.

Mean reversion is an empirically documented phenomenon. But in any given case, it's hard to know whether extraordinary success is due to random chance or if it "real". To make that determination requires deeper analysis and understanding -- two things that are lacking among lazy pundits. To follow the Pixar example, anyone who just sits in their office looking at box office returns might have assumed that Toy Story was an outlier. But anyone who, you know, actually saw the frickin' movie and has anything resembling a human soul would have realized that there's something genuinely special about the people who could make such a film, and would have expected them to repeat the success.
post #60 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

*Not all new tricks may be applicable to all old dogs. Some old dogs might be slower at new tricks than others. Inability of old dogs to perform new tricks is not the responsibility of the trick bearers. New tricks may make old dogs perform other, unanticipated actions. All nonstandard behavior by old dogs is handled at the owner's expense. All right reserved. Offer void in Utah.

LOL too awesome.
post #61 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Just a head up people Sprint has a LOT of surcharges. They may seem "cheaper", but $20 in taxes and $20 in surcharges is too much WITH an employee discoutn.

Wouldn't taxes be the same regardless of carrier?
post #62 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

The most fascinating thing about the entire keynote was Siri IMO....and that game's graphics.

Siri yes. Graphics - hard to say without any head-to-head comparison. I personally think they should've picked a different demo. You could see a bit of jitter in the graphics in a couple of the game scenes. It's to be expected for a smartphone but, still, one would want a totally smooth demo for a keynote.
post #63 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Wouldn't taxes be the same regardless of carrier?

NOT the surcharges. Surcharges are NOT enforceable as in they're not goverment taxes. They are just fees that , say, Sprint wants to collect from you to help with "costs".
post #64 of 81
Quote:

Siri yes. Graphics - hard to say without any head-to-head comparison. I personally think they should've picked a different demo. You could see a bit of jitter in the graphics in a couple of the game scenes. It's to be expected for a smartphone but, still, one would want a totally smooth demo for a keynote.

The whole keynote felt sloppy IMO...
post #65 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

She can drop $1,000 per year on a Verizon/AT&T contract but can't afford the $200+ deposit on the phone?

Not everyone pays $1k a year for service. Moms are usually on family plans with their adult children who pays the bill for them. That's the case with my own mother. I have 4 lines on my family account with 3 iphones. My mom is still using the dumb phone though. If I were to upgrade her phone to a smartphone, it'd only cost $15 more a month for data.

If I divide my annual bill by 4 phones, it comes out to about $500 per phone per year. Not too shabby at all. On the other hand, I spend $40+ per week on gas because I'm not willing to ride a bike everywhere I go.

The bottom-line, it's a privilege and we pay the prices for the services we get. Phones aren't the only life expense, it's merely just one of the many.
post #66 of 81
Quote:

I'm sure they all knew Steve was about to die any minute. Something like that can affect a presenter's enthusiasm, I would imagine, even if it was scripted and rehearsed.

post #67 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

NOT the surcharges. Surcharges are NOT enforceable as in they're not goverment taxes. They are just fees that , say, Sprint wants to collect from you to help with "costs".

I get that; but I was commenting on someone complaining that Sprint's pricing is more than meets the eye in part because of taxes.
post #68 of 81
Quote:

Quote:

I'm sure they all knew Steve was about to die any minute. Something like that can affect a presenter's enthusiasm, I would imagine, even if it was scripted and rehearsed.

I think Tim Cook and Scott Forstall were their usual selves. IMO, Forstall is their best presenter. He does need to slow down a bit because he tries to squeeze in a lot of info. Otherwise, he is smooth and knows his stuff. He also exudes the same pride and passion that Steve Jobs did. That's understandable because he focuses on iOS, which is his baby.

Eddy Cue - this is really the first time he has had the floor for that long, I believe. I give him a "C".

I am repeating myself here - What was Phil Schiller looking at - a teleprompter on the floor? Flash cards? He didn't seem to know his script like others.
post #69 of 81
Quote:

What was Phil Schiller looking at - a teleprompter on the floor?

Steve's empty seat.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #70 of 81
TOP SELLING PHONES - NOVEMBER 2011

(1) Apple iPhone 4S - 16 GB
(2) Apple iPhone 4S - 32 GB
(3) Apple iPhone 4 - 8 GB
(4) Apple iPhone 4S - 64 GB
(5) Apple iPhone 3GS
(6) Unspecified Android phone that looks like a deformed penis
(7) Unspecified inferior Android phone that is similar to 127 other Android phones out there
(8) Unspecified, already obsolete Nokia phone
(9) Another boring Android phone that is like every other Android phone
(10) Unspecified Nokia phone

post #71 of 81
Quote:

What iPhone plan is cheaper than that, regardless of minutes built up?

I'd love to finally get an iPhone but the cost of the phone isn't a factor at all compared to the crazy monthly costs. Since this last release I've been looking at no contract plans like the one from Virgin Mobile with unlimited data and text starting at $35 monthly with a basic android phone. Anyone using their service, or have a recommendation for a reasonably priced basic android phone (voice/text/basic web)?

I got fed up waiting on Sprint to get the iPhone and bought a contract-free Android from Virgin Mobile: the LG Optimus V (the same phone sold by Verizon and AT&T, I believe). It's no iPhone, but for my first smartphone and for just $25/month -- VM raised the monthly fee by $10/month this summer -- it's more than I need. For now. The LGOV isn't the best phone. It feels a bit cheap, is buggy and isn't in the same league as iOS devices. Hell, many apps on my iPod Touch work much, much better than on this middling Android phone. Although I have 300 minutes to use per month, I think I've averaged maybe 30/40 so far. I do text a lot more than in the past knowing it's included in the $25/month fee.

I am hopeful that my consulting business will pick up tremendously early next year and will probably need a better phone and the better services that come with it. The debate I'll have with myself is whether or not I'll wait for the next version of the iPhone or just get the iPhone 4S since no matter which, it'll be a big improvement over phone I currently have.
post #72 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post

I got fed up waiting on Sprint to get the iPhone and bought a contract-free Android from Virgin Mobile: the LG Optimus V (the same phone sold by Verizon and AT&T, I believe). It's no iPhone, but for my first smartphone and for just $25/month -- VM raised the monthly fee by $10/month this summer -- it's more than I need. For now. The LGOV isn't the best phone. It feels a bit cheap, is buggy and isn't in the same league as iOS devices. Hell, many apps on my iPod Touch work much, much better than on this middling Android phone. Although I have 300 minutes to use per month, I think I've averaged maybe 30/40 so far. I do text a lot more than in the past knowing it's included in the $25/month fee.

I am hopeful that my consulting business will pick up tremendously early next year and will probably need a better phone and the better services that come with it. The debate I'll have with myself is whether or not I'll wait for the next version of the iPhone or just get the iPhone 4S since no matter which, it'll be a big improvement over phone I currently have.

I've been thinking about getting into consulting myself....but I, um, am still in school!
post #73 of 81
Quote:

I'd love to finally get an iPhone but the cost of the phone isn't a factor at all compared to the crazy monthly costs. Since this last release I've been looking at no contract plans like the one from Virgin Mobile with unlimited data and text starting at $35 monthly with a basic android phone. Anyone using their service, or have a recommendation for a reasonably priced basic android phone (voice/text/basic web)?

You won't find a better deal with Virgin Mobile's $35 plan, but you definitely get what you pay for. You'll only have 300 minutes (no unlimited mobile-to-mobile), you're relying solely on Sprint's network (no ability to roam onto Verizon if Sprint is weak in your area), and prices can change on month-to-month instead of a contract (Virgin upped their price from $25 to $35 for new customers and after you upgrade/change phones). So there are negatives to go this route.

However, I will say if you just need an internet connection on the go occasionally and don't need to talk a lot, Virgin Mobile's service may be a great option if your area has decent coverage. I've used the LG Optimus V and *love* that little phone. They recently introduced the Motorola Triumph, a poor man's Droid X, and a new LG and HTC phone recently. Stay *far* away from the Samsung Intercept, that thing is a piece of crap, but everything else looks great.

And hey, even if you do talk a lot, Virgin's unlimited talk/text/web is still $55, which is the bare minimum plan for AT&T and $15 less than the cheapest Verizon and Sprint plan.
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
Video editor, tech enthusiast, developer.

http://www.yuusharo.com
http://www.studioyuu.com
post #74 of 81
Quote:

Except they still aren't remotely affordable once you're paying for the two year contract, it's well over $2k once you consider the total cost of the phone. Over 24 months that $99 or $199 is only an extra 4 or 8 bucks a month, which is nothing compared to a monthly bill over $100. But I guess a lot of people don't bother to do the math.

My parents and in-laws are on my family plan which is the pretty basic 700 min one. $9.99 + $15 data plan x 12 = $300 / year if my parents wanted an iPhone instead of a feature phone. The cost delta is $180. They're stuck with 200MB but for email and light web surfing that's fine.

Actually, I just pay for it all anyway. Likewise for kids. You're going to be ponying up for a family plan anyway but $0 x 2 kids = $0 whereas $199 x 2 kids = $400.

This is where $0 iPhones are really helpful. While the data plans are a little more expensive than texting plans the delta's worth it and it doesn't annoy me as much.
post #75 of 81
Folks looking for a comparison of plans can look here (for normal plans, not pre-pay or flexplans):

"AT&T provides the cheapest path to an iPhone… until you add text messaging. The company’s decision to offer only a $20 all-or-nothing texting plan prices it out of cheapskate range pretty quickly, especially considering that even if you’re not sending any text messages, you can be charged for messages sent to you.

Verizon’s weakness is that its lowest-priced data plan starts at $30. You get more than enough data if you’re a typical user, though, as AT&T’s $15-per-month data plan only provides 200 megabytes to work with.

Sprint actually comes away looking pretty good here. If you can get past the fact that you’re facing a minimal monthly outlay of $80, the peace of mind you get with unlimited data and unlimited text messaging might be worth it. And if you really don’t want to have to worry about anything, you can avoid any and all overage charges with the $110 plan. AT&T and Verizon cost $25 and $60 more per month, respectively, for similar peace of mind, but even their plans aren’t truly unlimited when it comes to data overages."

http://technologizer.com/2011/10/10/...ns/#more-48809
post #76 of 81
Thanks for the recommendations. The LG Optimus V looks like a decent option especially for the price ($112-129). With VM I can get unlimited data and text for $35. For two lines on ATT I'd be looking at 69+30+30=129, and that's for the skimpy 200 meg service. $59 more per month than two lines on VM, a savings of over $1400 over two years (seems like the real savings are if you get up to three or four lines on a family plan). I just can't justify spending that much more. Shame there aren't unlocked versions of the iPhone that run on other networks, that's what's going to finally bring in the cheapskates like myself.
post #77 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsimpsen View Post

This same disconnect occurred for Pixar movies. Just prior to each new release, the "experts" would remind us all that Pixar was bound to produce a dud, as the "law of reversion to mean" is unbreakable.

What they failed to consider was that the law of reversion to mean doesn't actually exist.

Well, they were right with Cars 2...
post #78 of 81
I've now successfully convinced several people looking to buy their first iPhone to get the 4S instead of a previous model for slightly cheaper upfront cost. The "I don't need this or that improved feature" doesn't really apply and those that are less technical can really benefit from Siri Assistant if it's half as good as their demo and ad suggest.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #79 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

This persistent disconnect between the reality of consumers' embrace of Apple products and the fantasy of certain tech pundits who consistently diss Apple's new products is really extraordinary. At what point are these guys going to finally look themselves in the mirror and ask "how have I become so out of touch with reality and what must I do to understand real-world consumers?"

My guess is that for many of them, that point will never come. They will just become increasingly bitter, focusing their efforts to appeal to a shrinking audience of disgruntled IT workers and aging PC DIYers who are also totally out of touch with reality. Losers.

Totally spot on, and I've found that they mostly congregate around the Yahoo Finance message boards.
post #80 of 81
How long before Samsung starts selling the original Galaxy S as a cheaper phone?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › As iPhone 4S sets records, Apple's legacy models show strong sales too