or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Inside Apple's iPhone 4S: 'S' is for Siri voice recognition

Inside Apple's iPhone 4S: 'S' is for Siri voice recognition - Page 4

post #121 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssls6 View Post

to me it will always be "iPhone 4 Steve"

Yeah!!!
post #122 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Looking forward to that. For whatever it's worth, Apple's website indicates that "Siri is available in Beta only on iPhone 4S and requires Internet access."

1) I really hope it's more intelligent than to push everything to their servers.

2) I'm sure I mentioned it to you a couple ays ago, but I want to reiterate the data mining Apple will be able to do with Siri. This is a lot more direct than what Google and Amazon have had access to with their search (though not any different than Gmail and Google Voice) data mining. I trust Apple more than others since I'm not the product they are selling, but it's something we need to be aware of.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #123 of 141
Given the latest news on sales - I think the 'S' is for SUCCESS!
:-)
post #124 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) I really hope it's more intelligent than to push everything to their servers.

2) I'm sure I mentioned it to you a couple ays ago, but I want to reiterate the data mining Apple will be able to do with Siri. This is a lot more direct than what Google and Amazon have had access to with their search (though not any different than Gmail and Google Voice) data mining. I trust Apple more than others since I'm not the product they are selling, but it's something we need to be aware of.

Web search engines see all you search for. Siri will not see that unless you constantly search via voice commands.

But all that aside. I trust Apple much more than say Google, for two reasons.

First, I just trust them more. I think they have more integrity. They have not given me reason distrust them as has Google with their desire to read your email.

As you say, Google, et al, make their money via advertising. Data is one of their important products - a source of income. Apple on the other hand makes hardware. Do they really want to jeopardize their 100B/year business for a few million $ in data sales? I don't think so.
post #125 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

Web search engines see all you search for. Siri will not see that unless you constantly search via voice commands.

Ah, but don't forget that if you use Siri to make an appointment, set a reminder, make a call, send a text message, dictate an email, access maps, ask about traffic, ask about the weather, etc. and all data is being parsed through their servers they are getting far more nuanced data mining than other company has ever legally received from willing users.
post #126 of 141
If Siri becomes popular Apple's biggest achievement won't be the inclusion of a functional voice UI but the successful shift in user perception of people who dictate to their phones as being wankers to something that is actually socially acceptable.

If they somehow manage to pull this off they should start focusing on those little over-the-ear Bluetooth headsets as well.
post #127 of 141
Quote:

No doubt. Siri is Apple's conduit to new paradigm in the search game. That could be why a connection to the server is required - they want to log the query.

Furthermore, Apple does not have to relay the query to the same default search engine every time. They can select the search site based on context. The demo with Yelp is one example - Scott Forstall only asked for a recommendation for a Greek restaurant and the query was routed to Yelp. Apple can be a search broker and make a share of the revenue.
post #128 of 141
Quote:

Ah, but don't forget that if you use Siri to make an appointment, set a reminder, make a call, send a text message, dictate an email, access maps, ask about traffic, ask about the weather, etc. and all data is being parsed through their servers they are getting far more nuanced data mining than other company has ever legally received from willing users.

Same as what Google (and Microsoft) is getting when we use their Calendars. This is Apple's entry into Google's world. Somehow, I think a counter strategy is being plotted in the Googleplex as we speak.
post #129 of 141
Quote:

I don't think Apple will violate your privacy with the data they collect. I trust Microsoft and Apple with privacy far more than I would Google or Facebook, who are really in the data mining business. To Google and Facebook, data about you, your preferences, you habits has value, not content, not software and not hardware, which these companies would happily give away if they could.

You can always opt-out of Siri if you're paranoid and just use a regular search engine, in which your searches are data mined anyway. But trust me, if Apple were to misuse the data they collect, or even give the appearance of misuse, Al Franken will get back on his high horse and call Tim Cook to appear so he can scold him before the Senate Committee on Burning Witches.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #130 of 141
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Same as what Google (and Microsoft) is getting when we use their Calendars. This is Apple's entry into Google's world. Somehow, I think a counter strategy is being plotted in the Googleplex as we speak.

Why are we assuming that Apple will be doing data mining with whatever passes through their Siri servers at all?

Apple isn't an ad company, doesn't sell ad impressions for a living. While I could see them using anonymized data to improve services, I think it's a stretch to imagine that they'll simply do what Google does with what data is available to them.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #131 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Why are we assuming that Apple will be doing data mining with whatever passes through their Siri servers at all?

Apple isn't an ad company, doesn't sell ad impressions for a living. While I could see them using anonymized data to improve services, I think it's a stretch to imagine that they'll simply do what Google does with what data is available to them.

I'm not implying they'd do anything like Google or Facebook. I full expect them to use the data to better the services they offer without selling said data to 3rd-parties. I'm using data mining in the most generic sense here, the same why they mine the data of your iTunes Library for Genius.
post #132 of 141
Quote:

It's funny. You were the one that argued that Siri would require massive amounts of processing power. But here we see that it requires a data connection for the user's recording to be sent off to, analyzed, and then a command to be sent back. Pretty basic.

This little part of the OS could be placed on the ipad 2, iphone 4, and ipad. Maybe even the 3GS. But that's just marketing for you.

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

post #133 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun View Post

Wow, that Siri is powerful... it will even bing Alicia Keys for you.

Some tasks I think I'd like to reserve for myself, though....

Lol..wait wait...lol!!!
post #134 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I will never understand why people obsess so intensely about having the ability to turn on and off things like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth without having to go to the "extreme" of opening up the standard settings app.

This is also the number one refrain of those who jailbreak their phones when asked for the reason why they do it (to have access to an app that allows quick changes of these settings). Why the f*ck would anyone want to spend all day fiddling with the network settings on their phone, turning them on and off etc. ? Do. Not. Get.

As far as I can see, the only reasonable answer is to save battery life, but I've never met anyone who had any kind of problem with the iPhone battery. It literally almost never runs out. I don't think mine has gone below 60% on any of the three iPhones I've owned, ever.

WTF are all you people doing that burns your battery so much that you have to pain yourselves with turning this crap on and off all day long? Don't you have better things to do with your time?

I wish we all led blessed lives like you.

At my office when I'm away from my desk I use either my iPad or my iPhone to access my Exchange account or surf the web. There is a specific WIFI network that I have to use to access Exchange server, but which does not allow access to the wider web (and therefore my MobileMe account). TO access this content I have to use a personal hotspot connection over Bluetooth from my iPhone 4 to my iPad. I would say I access the Settings app on both devices more than 10 times per day. It gets intensely annoying.

Do. you. get. now?

And having had my iPhone paired to my iPad for 4 hours this morning in a meeting, the battery on my iPhone 4 was below 10% by lunchtime. That's why i keep a spare charger at my desk, and another in my car.

Accept that others experiences are different to your own and you'll sound like much less of a douche.
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
post #135 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Quote:

I'm not implying they'd do anything like Google or Facebook. I full expect them to use the data to better the services they offer without selling said data to 3rd-parties. I'm using data mining in the most generic sense here, the same why they mine the data of your iTunes Library for Genius.

The fact is that Apple is already aggregating and mining user data via iTunes and iDevices. Are they using the data like G or FB? So far, no. And I have strong reasons to believe they will not go down that road. Nevertheless, they need to build their own database in order to become independent of a specific search engine. So the potential and the need for aggregating Siri user data could be more expansive than that.

Siri, if it is to become widely successful, needs to keep learning over time. I am speculating here, but part of the learning is storage and charting of its success. Perhaps, over time, individual data patterns are stored not for advertising purposes but rather to improve accuracy of translation and interpretation. Individual preferences, after all, are part of context.

Furthermore, at the risk of repeating myself, Siri is effectively a new type of portal which enables Apple to be the broker to choose the search engine it prefers based on context. We have seen how a restaurant search is relayed to Yelp. Why not Zagat (i.e. Google)? What about search for airfares, etc.? This could "siriously" disrupt the mobile search game.
post #136 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

I wish we all led blessed lives like you.

At my office when I'm away from my desk I use either my iPad or my iPhone to access my Exchange account or surf the web. There is a specific WIFI network that I have to use to access Exchange server, but which does not allow access to the wider web (and therefore my MobileMe account). TO access this content I have to use a personal hotspot connection over Bluetooth from my iPhone 4 to my iPad. I would say I access the Settings app on both devices more than 10 times per day. It gets intensely annoying.

Do. you. get. now?

And having had my iPhone paired to my iPad for 4 hours this morning in a meeting, the battery on my iPhone 4 was below 10% by lunchtime. That's why i keep a spare charger at my desk, and another in my car.

Accept that others experiences are different to your own and you'll sound like much less of a douche.

Save your words. His device is on airplane mode to save battery power. He can't read your post.
post #137 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

It's funny. You were the one that argued that Siri would require massive amounts of processing power. But here we see that it requires a data connection for the user's recording to be sent off to, analyzed, and then a command to be sent back. Pretty basic.

This little part of the OS could be placed on the ipad 2, iphone 4, and ipad. Maybe even the 3GS. But that's just marketing for you.

We don't know how little or large the device portion of the Siri engine is. Regardless, differentiating iPhone 4S by making it the only device with Siri available is not really marketing; it is product management.
post #138 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

It does require processing power!
post #139 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Wonder if Apple grows tired of Siri like they did with other things.

Sherlock.
Isync
Pairing you OSX to you mobile phone. When someone called you. The number was shown on the computer screen. Send SMS from the computer via bluetooth/phone
Updating the iPod classic (320 gig drives have existed since 2009 making 640 gig iPod)
Universal binaries. (why remove this? Could have been used to run OSX on ARM)
Rosetta
Iweb
Itools
Having your bookmarks on .mac (great to have your personal web bookmarks that you can access from work)
Photo sharing/groups and all that stuff in MobileMe.
Xserve
Xraid (would be perfect with thunderbolt)

and loads more.

Sherlock - Evolved into Spotlight

Isync - Built into the OS to allow syncing with iTunes & iCloud

Universal binaries. (why remove this? Could have been used to run OSX on ARM) - Not required as Apple havent made any Macs with PowerPC processors since 2006

Rosetta - All apps should be Intel native by now

Having your bookmarks on .mac (great to have your personal web bookmarks that you can access from work) - Bookmarks syncing is still done between all computers and iOS devices

Photo sharing/groups and all that stuff in MobileMe - When a service goes free to everyone on the planet, then there will be some features dropped. But you can still share photos to all your Macs and iOS devices

Xserve - Buy a Mac Pro
post #140 of 141
Anyone know if Siri works with calendars other than iCloud? Like Google Calendar?
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
post #141 of 141
The history of Siri in the article is woefully short and there is a lot more to Siri than voice recognition. That's just one way to get data into it.

Siri came out of the five year CALO project. Probably the biggest AI project ever done involving hundreds of researchers. Siri was spun out from that project. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CALO

The following article written a few years ago give a little more detail about the project. It's designed to analyze information and look for patterns. It can learn about individual users and could tell the researches everything it's learned about them in the past year. It can be used to prioritize information and schedules automatically. I think Apple is just beginning to tap into all the technology they've purchased and we are only seeing the top 10 or 20%.

http://www.dailytech.com/SRIs+CALO+P...rticle9860.htm

Imagine combining spotlight with an AI can that prioritize the data in your files, or email. It can learn who you contact and take that into account with email searches. If any of you are big users of Devonthink we've probably gotten a small glimpse into what Siri may be able to do for us. I imagine we'll see the technology in the next version of OS X. I'm sure voice interaction will be there too, but the research behind Siri will probably be going into all of Apple's search technology.

I was kind of meh about the whole thing to begin with, but after seeing a few AI researchers posting that they were exciting to see the technology get into millions of people's hands I started reading about it. I have to say I'm getting pretty excited about the next five years of products. I bet Apple was already looking beyond touch when the iPad and maybe iPhone came out. It appears they've made some big steps in voice recognition, but the AI technology behind Siri is probably what will bring it together. (Maybe the AI behind Siri is what makes the voice recognition so good?)
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Inside Apple's iPhone 4S: 'S' is for Siri voice recognition