or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Inside Apple's iPhone 4S: 'S' is for Siri voice recognition
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Inside Apple's iPhone 4S: 'S' is for Siri voice recognition - Page 2

post #41 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by macminiwii View Post

I wish this worked on my iPad2. I would love to have Siri do task for me. Crap \

Just need to wait until March/April-ish next year
post #42 of 141
I was so surprised that Siri is using a really horrible sounding female computer voice. Leopard was introduced with "Alex" and it sounded so natural almost like a real voice. I was hoping for that to come to iPhone, but it's weird that it sounds so computerized. \
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
post #43 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun View Post

"Siri, what's the best way to jailbreak my iPhone?"

"Phone wipe in progress..."
post #44 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

The things I'm hoping Siri does at some point?

"Siri, turn off Wi-Fi".

"Siri, turn down the brightness".

"Siri, turn on bluetooth".

"Siri, find porn."

Siri: "Maybe you could give me something that was actually challenging?"

post #45 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukei View Post

At which point unless you've got a strong 3G signal Siri will stop working...

"At some point" I suppose the speeds will be up to it, but...the counter argument is why would Siri need to shut down completely when wifi or even 3g is down? Surely there are offline uses for it? I can make calender entries, check lists...surely I don't need even a 3g connection to say, "wake me in one hour." I can't imagine SIRI disables offline commands when the phone is in airplane mode or can't find a signal.
post #46 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Why the f*ck would anyone want to spend all day fiddling with the network settings on their phone, turning them on and off etc. ? Do. Not. Get.

<Pssssssssssssssttttttttttt....................... .nobody does that>
post #47 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

I just want to be sure it will always open my pod door......

"Siri: Open Garage Door."
Siri "I can't do that, Dave."
"Do it, or I'll open it....manually."
Siri: "You...you wouldn't..."
post #48 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


WTF are all you people doing that burns your battery so much that you have to pain yourselves with turning this crap on and off all day long? Don't you have better things to do with your time?

Bluetooth is causing problems with Airplay on my iPhone 4. There are giant threads about the Airplay issues on Discussions. Turning off BT is the only thing that's helped for me.
post #49 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

"Siri, find porn."


Siri: "We believe we have a moral responsibility to keep porn off the iPhone. Folks who want porn can buy an Android phone.

You know, theres a porn store for Android. You can download nothing but porn. You can download porn, your kids can download porn. Were not going to go there."
post #50 of 141
Way to copy Android Apple even the notification bar. LOL
Mite as well go all the way and put Android on there.
post #51 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

The things I'm hoping Siri does at some point?

"Siri, turn off Wi-Fi".

"Siri, turn down the brightness".

"Siri, turn on bluetooth".

+1 ... this will save a lot of time ... I find myself turning on/off bluetooth frequently, and it's a pain to navigate so deep in the menus simply to turn it on/off.
post #52 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Those are great ideas! Pretty much a handsfree option for everything in SBSettings on jailbroken iPhones.

As shown in the Vista Voice Recognition demo, you need voice commands to disable/enable Siri, too...

...otherwise, Siri will detect all your smart-ass, sotto-voce asides and try to abide your wishes...

You: Oh, fuck you

Siri: Let me think about that... I think I have the answer...

Microsoft Vista Speech Recognition Tested - Perl Scripting
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #53 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

The things I'm hoping Siri does at some point?

"Siri, turn off Wi-Fi".

"Siri, turn down the brightness".

"Siri, turn on bluetooth".

In the demo's they did not 'name it' for commands as on star trek etc. (computer? hello computer?... a keyboard, so quant)
That might be odd that you have to push a button or lift the phone a certain way to engage.

Or will it recognized your voice as only authorization for commands and filter out the rest (Your voice is your password)

Other ideas?

I used the app when it first came out. When I would be traveling it would be helpfull (find nearest McDonalds)
Use for everyday for basics? Hmmm maybe. Probably quicker than typing google search. But essentally it should go to google search and show the options... IMO
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #54 of 141
Arthur Dent: "Siri, make me some green tea..."
post #55 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

Siri was developed by DARPA. http://www.infowars.com/introducing-...pples-machine/

So was the internet.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #56 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I will never understand why people obsess so intensely about having the ability to turn on and off things like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth without having to go to the "extreme" of opening up the standard settings app.

This is also the number one refrain of those who jailbreak their phones when asked for the reason why they do it (to have access to an app that allows quick changes of these settings). Why the f*ck would anyone want to spend all day fiddling with the network settings on their phone, turning them on and off etc. ? Do. Not. Get.

I actually have what I think is a valid reason. If you are in a WiFi environment, then go away from it so need to switch to the 3G network, it's far from seamless. Skype for example will drop any call you are on, and TuneIn Radio, which I use all the time, will drop the feed, then start a new feed once it's switched over. The problem with that is, because TuneIn radio takes internet feeds from websites, a lot of them have some sort of, "this audio stream is sponsored by....." when you first connect. If you drop out of WiFi and into 3G coverage, you have to hear that sponsorship message again.

Seems pretty trivial, but it's a pain in the arse! I've got in the habit of turning off WiFi when I'm getting ready to take the dog for a walk, then need to put it back on again. It's not really a big deal, but a faster way would be appreciated.
post #57 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I will never understand why people obsess so intensely about having the ability to turn on and off things like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth without having to go to the "extreme" of opening up the standard settings app.

This is also the number one refrain of those who jailbreak their phones when asked for the reason why they do it (to have access to an app that allows quick changes of these settings). Why the f*ck would anyone want to spend all day fiddling with the network settings on their phone, turning them on and off etc. ? Do. Not. Get.

As far as I can see, the only reasonable answer is to save battery life, but I've never met anyone who had any kind of problem with the iPhone battery. It literally almost never runs out. I don't think mine has gone below 60% on any of the three iPhones I've owned, ever.

WTF are all you people doing that burns your battery so much that you have to pain yourselves with turning this crap on and off all day long? Don't you have better things to do with your time?

They are watching TV. Certainly not reading or learning anything. My wife and I have had iPhones for 31/2 years and neither of us has ever run out of battery. We watch TV and movies on 46" TVs and for portable viewing MacBookAirs ori iPads. Get a life kids. You can read books on your iPhones all day and not run down the battery..
post #58 of 141
First a GPS and now an automated listening device. They know everything you say and where you are!

Remember - when Siri is listening so is the NSA

lol!
jgb
Reply
jgb
Reply
post #59 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi211 View Post

I hope eventually the GPS Apps out there like Tom Tom are able to access Siri. Or I can see Apple utilizing the Maps App to speak aloud driving directions to you. That would be awesome!

This brings up the question of availability of Siri as an API to 3rd party developers. I don't think it will happen before Apple takes the beta tag off. This is the first time, insofar as a I know, that Apple has tagged a feature or product as beta. It should be interesting to see how long it lasts.
post #60 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfine View Post

They are watching TV. Certainly not reading or learning anything. My wife and I have had iPhones for 31/2 years and neither of us has ever run out of battery. We watch TV and movies on 46" TVs and for portable viewing MacBookAirs ori iPads. Get a life kids. You can read books on your iPhones all day and not run down the battery..

What a weird thing to say.
post #61 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquia33 View Post

First a GPS and now an automated listening device. They know everything you say and where you are!

Remember - when Siri is listening so is the NSA

lol!

Do you watch "Person Of Interest"? Things that make you go hmmm.
post #62 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

So was the internet.

Silly! Al Gore invented the internet..Duh!
post #63 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfine View Post

They are watching TV. Certainly not reading or learning anything. My wife and I have had iPhones for 31/2 years and neither of us has ever run out of battery. We watch TV and movies on 46" TVs and for portable viewing MacBookAirs ori iPads. Get a life kids. You can read books on your iPhones all day and not run down the battery..

Pardon the expression, but I think it's a bit obtuse to assume battery life is uniform for all users. Sure, some kids need to get off their phones and get a life. Me...I want bluetooth in my car because I commute. I'm in my car in the morning, late afternoon, and lunch time, and I often forget to turn off bluetooth simply because I have to stop everything I'm doing to do so. More, where I work in my building has heavy interference. Sometimes I'll get two hours of two bars and decent signal. Often I get "no service." Often. I'd love to simply be able to say, "wifi off," and "bluetooth off." Why do I turn them off? Because my batter is drained from 100% to nearly nothing before the end of the day looking for service every time I get into one room or another, and running bluetooth when I'm not in the car. No, it's not a big deal. But then again, the original commenter was simply listing three or so ideas he thought would be neat little additions. He wasn't complaining as though they were absolute necessities. Edit: I have iphone4. Besides, isn't it a case of tea kettles and pots to say you watch tv and then tell kids they need to get a life because they're doing the same thing...just on a phone?
post #64 of 141
post #65 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfine View Post

They are watching TV. Certainly not reading or learning anything. My wife and I have had iPhones for 31/2 years and neither of us has ever run out of battery. We watch TV and movies on 46" TVs and for portable viewing MacBookAirs ori iPads. Get a life kids. You can read books on your iPhones all day and not run down the battery..

When working around the house or working on the yard I use a streaming audio app to stream my radio stations to my bluetooth headset. About 5 hrs on wifi (I have a 3gs) and less then 3 over cellular network.

When the kids steal my phone Angry birds and other games seem to kill the battery in 3 hours or so.

If my bluetooth is off and i make it drop down to the 2g -edge network I get better stand by time then my original iPhone.

Just because you don't use the iPhone or iPod Touch in ways that rapidly drain the battery does not mean that other do not. After all it is more then a phone it is also a personal pocket computer with a fantastic array of uses.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #66 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

Silly! Al Gore invented the internet..Duh!

Oops, forgot about that. Sorry Al.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #67 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

Pardon the expression, but I think it's a bit obtuse to assume battery life is uniform for all users. Sure, some kids need to get off their phones and get a life. Me...I want bluetooth in my car because I commute. I'm in my car in the morning, late afternoon, and lunch time, and I often forget to turn off bluetooth simply because I have to stop everything I'm doing to do so. More, where I work in my building has heavy interference. Sometimes I'll get two hours of two bars and decent signal. Often I get "no service." Often. I'd love to simply be able to say, "wifi off," and "bluetooth off." Why do I turn them off? Because my batter is drained from 100% to nearly nothing before the end of the day looking for service every time I get into one room or another, and running bluetooth when I'm not in the car. No, it's not a big deal. But then again, the original commenter was simply listing three or so ideas he thought would be neat little additions. He wasn't complaining as though they were absolute necessities.

Thanks - you beat me to it. Some of us work outside all day - far from the nearest tower (drain 1) - and need the brightness of our screen turned up. (drain 2)

But I must be doing something wrong. Clearly I'm not learning anything. Justfine said so.
post #68 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

This brings up the question of availability of Siri as an API to 3rd party developers. I don't think it will happen before Apple takes the beta tag off. This is the first time, insofar as a I know, that Apple has tagged a feature or product as beta. It should be interesting to see how long it lasts.

This is typical of apple's way of doing things: add a new technology and make it work with their own apps, then open it up to developers. But I wonder how it would work with third party apps. How would it know which weather app to use or which to-do app? Would you have to manage some complex registry of apps and their functions, like old-school web browsers and plugins?
post #69 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I don't think Siri will turn off Wi-fi - it needs to be connected with Apple servers to work ( http://bit.ly/nbVTZ0).

Is there official confirmation of this?

I've seen reports that siri control of local functionality doesn't require remote assistance. Whom to believe... ?
post #70 of 141
What Siri will eventually be:

DAVE:Siri, call 911! My boo bear has been shot!
Siri: I can't do that, Dave.
Dave: Why?
Siri: Because I love you, and your wife desrves to die
Dave: Damn it Siri, stop messing around! I can't live wihtout my wife!"
Siri: Really Dave? You go to some pretty disheartening sites. I mean, really. This is some sick stuff. Beyond morbid. You've become so immune to sites like brazz..."
Dave: SIRI! STOP! MY WIFE ISN'T SUPPOSED TO KNOW!
Siri: Did she also know you've been searching up some qucik fixes on craigslist?
DAVE:NOOOOO!! My wife can still hear all this
post #71 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

I highly doubt Siri will work as expected.

I've been trying to use voice recognition since the late 80's everything from the original Dragon for Windows, up to iOS 4's built-in voice recognition and the Google App for iPhone's voice searches and Dragon for iPhone and NONE of them have EVER been able to get voice recognition correct. Even Google Voice can't accurately translate voicemails that are left with 100% crystal clarity.

It takes sooooo long to try to get anything done via voice. I've wasted more hours than you can imagine trying to get my iPhone's voice apps to recognize what I'm saying. Frankly, voice recognition just isn't there yet.

I highly, highly, highly, HIGHLY doubt that Apple has nailed this in fact, I think it's going to be a big black eye for them for releasing what will ultimately turn out to be a flawed piece of software that was rushed to market.

They should have waited 10-15 years to perfect this before bringing it to market.

It's going to be Antennagate all over again. Just watch. You heard it here first.

Well when I travel to New York I can not understand some of those people out there when they are speaking English. If Siri can understand all the accents from all over the country I would be surprised.

Maybe you have an odd accent.

I know Sir can understand me because I have the App and it works almost every time without problems. To bad we loose the App this week.
post #72 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPLEBIRD View Post


No, you're a stupid head.

No you are.

No you are.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
post #73 of 141
If this can work on an iPhone then it definitely ought to be able to work on a Mac. I hope they add Siri for Mac sometime within the next year.
post #74 of 141
Well, I mean the iPad 2 also has the A5 chip. They could have put Siri in there too

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #75 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman42 View Post

This is typical of apple's way of doing things: add a new technology and make it work with their own apps, then open it up to developers. But I wonder how it would work with third party apps. How would it know which weather app to use or which to-do app? Would you have to manage some complex registry of apps and their functions, like old-school web browsers and plugins?

No registry (or anything close, praise the Lord)!

iOS and OS X have APIs and Frameworks to access things like contacts, maps, etc. Some of these are Private Frameworks (like Siri, and Siri's hooks into other apps).

The APIs for Private Frameworks are undocumented as are the Private Frameworks, themselves.

For Public APIs, Apple provides documentation, examples, and often sample code. The Public Frameworks Header text files can be displayed to allow a developer granular access to the minute details of the Public Framework.

The Private Frameworks provide no such header files.

But the Private Frameworks have to exist on the development systems and the devices themselves.

Savvy, hackers are able to reverse engineer the existent Private Framework files and generate representative header files.

From these, and typical/standard ways that Apple uses Frameworks, hacker developers can determine how to use these Private Frameworks in their apps.

However, Apps submitted to the App Store are tested/validated -- and any app found using a Private Framework will be rejected.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #76 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman42 View Post

This is typical of apple's way of doing things: add a new technology and make it work with their own apps, then open it up to developers. But I wonder how it would work with third party apps. How would it know which weather app to use or which to-do app? Would you have to manage some complex registry of apps and their functions, like old-school web browsers and plugins?

Registry? Registry in iOS?
post #77 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Well, I mean the iPad 2 also has the A5 chip. They could have put Siri in there too

They can probably have Siri on the iPhone 4. It seems that the heavy lifting of Siri is done in the cloud.
post #78 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Is there official confirmation of this?

I've seen reports that siri control of local functionality doesn't require remote assistance. Whom to believe... ?

According to the link, Phil Schiller himself said that part of Siri is on the server.
post #79 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

"At some point" I suppose the speeds will be up to it, but...the counter argument is why would Siri need to shut down completely when wifi or even 3g is down? Surely there are offline uses for it? I can make calender entries, check lists...surely I don't need even a 3g connection to say, "wake me in one hour." I can't imagine SIRI disables offline commands when the phone is in airplane mode or can't find a signal.

You can imagine because Siri needs an Internet connection to function.
post #80 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman42 View Post

This is typical of apple's way of doing things: add a new technology and make it work with their own apps, then open it up to developers. But I wonder how it would work with third party apps. How would it know which weather app to use or which to-do app? Would you have to manage some complex registry of apps and their functions, like old-school web browsers and plugins?

My guess is that companies will pay big bucks to Apple to be the "chosen one". Likely there will be a way to change the default setting too, like the way the default search engine is chosen in modern web browsers.

The vast majority of users would stick with the default Apple and third-party apps/services.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Inside Apple's iPhone 4S: 'S' is for Siri voice recognition