or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iPad now 97% of tablet traffic, eclipses iPhone, iOS remains mobile leader
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPad now 97% of tablet traffic, eclipses iPhone, iOS remains mobile leader

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 
A new market research report notes that mobile devices now amount to almost 7 percent of all US web traffic, with Apple's iOS representing a 58.5 percent slice of all mobile traffic and the iPad now accounting for more traffic than iPhones.

The growth of mobile devices has claimed a 6.8 percent chunk of US web traffic from conventional PCs, according to a new report by comScore.

Of that segment, about two thirds of the traffic is from mobile phones and a remaining third is being generated by tablet users. The group notes that Apple's iPad now accounts for 97.2 percent of all tablet-originating web traffic, driving home the reality that competitors have not yet released a significant tablet competitor.

Among iOS users, iPad now accounts for 46.8 percent of all traffic generated, making it now a more prolific tool than the iPhone for mobile web use, which represents 42.6 percent of iOS traffic.

An increasingly important market segment

The firm also outlined why the growth of tablet traffic is significant, noting that almost half of tablet owners have completed purchases using their tablet.

"Tablet owners exhibited significant use of their devices throughout the entire online shopping process," comScore reported, "from doing the initial planning, conducting product and store research, making price comparisons, to finally transacting. In the past month, more than half of tablet owners looked up product or price information for a specific store (56 percent) and read customer ratings and reviews while on a tablet (54 percent)."

The group added, "the incremental reach through mobile and connected devices should not be underestimated," pointing out that, "in August 2011, the additional mobile and connected device audience for Pandora accounted for more than half of their total cross-platform audience."

Who rules the mobile world? Girls! No iOS

"Although the Android platform accounts for the highest share of the smartphone market (43.7 percent in August)," comScore stated, "its total audience among mobile and connected devices in current use is eclipsed by the Apple iOS audience.

"The iOS platform had the highest share of connected devices and smartphones in use at 43.1 percent, fueled by the iPads dominance in the tablet market, while Android accounted for 34.1 percent of the total mobile and connected device universe."

While Apple has a minor lead over Android with iOS as a mobile platform in terms of its installed base (unique users), it has a major lead in the mobile traffic those users engage in.



"When measuring market share of Internet traffic by platform," comScore explained, "iOS accounted for more than half (58.5 percent) of the share of total non-computer traffic in the U.S. Android OS ranked second, delivering 31.9 percent of overall non-computer traffic in August. With iOS having a significantly higher share of traffic (58.5 percent) compared to its share of devices (43.1 percent), it suggests that iOS users are heavier-than-average consumers of Internet content."

It has been speculated that the huge divergence between Android's popularity (sales of Android-based phones have outnumbered iPhone sales most of this year) and its minority presence in web analytics is due to the fact that the majority of low end devices now use Android, including basic models that work like feature phones. That results in impressive sales figures for Android as a platform, but does not translate into a comparably important software platform for apps, nor an equally important market demographic.

That reality has helps make it clear why the supposed "avalanche" of new Android tablets failed to materialize as a real challenger to the iPad over the past year, just as Steve Jobs had predicted last October.

Unlike mobile phones, which existed as a major market long before the iPhone, tablets have never taken off prior to the release of iPad, making the new device a market unto itself much like the iPod had been. Apple's music player has not been significantly challenged in sales by any competitor over the past decade.

If Apple can maintain a similar competitive lead with the iPad over the next decade, it will not only maintain dominance over mobile devices and the App Store software that runs on them, but also continue to eat up the market currently held by conventional computers on one end while its own conventional computers vie for market share within that market itself.
post #2 of 44
So many bogus analyst reports have suggested that iPad had only a 70%, 60%, or 50% tablet marketshare. It's nice to finally have a peek at reality (97%).

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #3 of 44
lotta big numbers in that article, but the math suggests iPads are... what... 2% of all US web traffic?
post #4 of 44
I love stories like this... Read me another one!
post #5 of 44
Screw all other tablets! And screw Fandroids too, the most clueless and ignorant people on the planet.

Nobody is buying any other tablets! People need to quit quoting bogus 'shipped to retailers' numbers. The reality is that nobody wants the other tablets, besides a few fools and really poor people who happen to wet their pants when they can get a crappy failed tablet for $99 on a firesale.

And the few unfortunate morons who do buy other tablets are apparently not using them!
Some people are using them primarily as a doorstop, while a few other angry people have already thrown their useless tablets into the trash!

97% of entire tablet traffic is iPad!

What a way to totally dominate, kick ass, obliterate the competition, putting all pathetic Fandroids to shame and totally humiliating these clueless creatures.
post #6 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habañero View Post

lotta big numbers in that article, but the math suggests iPads are... what... 2% of all US web traffic?

But some key stats would include:
Is it more or less than 2% of devices?
What proportion of total mobile browsing is it?
How quickly has it achieved each point of browsing share
How quickly is it growing (by devices and usage/per device)

I would guess that all of these stats show the iPad to be the superstar it is... 5% next year, 10% the year after that... as people adjust their internet use cases from laptop/desktop to tablet and most specifically to iPad. I already do the majority of my ecommerce on the iPad. The Amazon WindowShop and Ebay apps are a joy to use compared to the websites. And while I'm there, I now get my passwords off the laptop to be able to complete a transaction via the iPad in many cases. I should probably invest in a good password vault app on the iPad.

This study shows that quality matters... quality of owner drives quality of usage... lots of cheap android handsets are a false stat to determine anything useful; monetization, developer opportunity, readership subs potential, content quality, etc. One should really understand the sales of mid-upper range androids and what their owners create/use to get more of an apples to apples understanding... including the long-tail of Android just drags the whole platform down.
post #7 of 44
This is false because fandroids really, really, really want it to be.
post #8 of 44
It's interesting to me that tech media and reporters in general seem overly fascinated with the raw market share numbers where Android is kicking iOS's ass. But it seems inevitable that once you get down into any of the details and dig down into any other metric beyond number of units sold, iOS is the more robust platform of the two.

Strange that when you scratch the surface, iOS is clearly the better of the two platforms, and yet so many sales go to Android.
post #9 of 44
IOS traffic should increase dramatically starting next Wednesday, when iCloud becomes widely available.
post #10 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Screw all other tablets! And screw Fandroids too, the most clueless and ignorant people on the planet.

Nobody is buying any other tablets! People need to quit quoting bogus 'shipped to retailers' numbers. The reality is that nobody wants the other tablets, besides a few fools and really poor people who happen to wet their pants when they can get a crappy failed tablet for $99 on a firesale.

And the few unfortunate morons who do buy other tablets are apparently not using them!
Some people are using them primarily as a doorstop, while a few other angry people have already thrown their useless tablets into the trash!

97% of entire tablet traffic is iPad!

What a way to totally dominate, kick ass, obliterate the competition, putting all pathetic Fandroids to shame and totally humiliating these clueless creatures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

This is false because fandroids really, really, really want it to be.

Get a grip and relax. Just enjoy your own devices and let world peace happen on its own.
post #11 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habañero View Post

lotta big numbers in that article, but the math suggests iPads are... what... 2% of all US web traffic?

More or less.

But how often do people send emails with large attachments from a tablet or smartphone? How often do people access Dropbox to download large files onto their iDevice?

So far, not often.

This will change, starting next Wednesday. We can expect iTraffic to double if not triple in a matter of months after iCloud becomes publicly available.
post #12 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Screw all other tablets! And screw Fandroids too, the most clueless and ignorant people on the planet.

Nobody is buying any other tablets! People need to quit quoting bogus 'shipped to retailers' numbers. The reality is that nobody wants the other tablets, besides a few fools and really poor people who happen to wet their pants when they can get a crappy failed tablet for $99 on a firesale.

And the few unfortunate morons who do buy other tablets are apparently not using them!
Some people are using them primarily as a doorstop, while a few other angry people have already thrown their useless tablets into the trash!

97% of entire tablet traffic is iPad!

What a way to totally dominate, kick ass, obliterate the competition, putting all pathetic Fandroids to shame and totally humiliating these clueless creatures.

See what I mean? Unprovoked yet vile and rude. Yet if I were to reply in kind I'm labeled a troll. Pathetic. People who like what you don't must be lesser than you? Get over yourself.
post #13 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Get a grip and relax. Just enjoy your own devices and let world peace happen on its own.

Sorry! I prefer war!

I have no idea why even certain people bother to visit this site or any Apple site for that matter. I can smell Fandroids from a mile away, and these people are lucky that I'm not a mod, because I would have banned them ages ago!

I also derive great pleasure from mocking clueless people, and Fandroids can expect only one thing from now on, and that is to be mocked, ridiculed and put in their place. Android sucks donkey balls, and I'm not interesting in reading the delusional rantings of brainwashed and sad Fandroid liars on an Apple site.

If it were up to me, anybody not running an OS X or iOS device wouldn't even be able to access this site. I would block them.
post #14 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Sorry! I prefer war!

I have no idea why even certain people bother to visit this site or any Apple site for that matter. I can smell Fandroids from a mile away, and these people are lucky that I'm not a mod, because I would have banned them ages ago!

I also derive great pleasure from mocking clueless people, and Fandroids can expect only one thing from now on, and that is to be mocked, ridiculed and put in their place. Android sucks donkey balls, and I'm not interesting in reading the delusional rantings of brainwashed and sad Fandroid liars on an Apple site.

If it were up to me, anybody not running an OS X or iOS device wouldn't even be able to access this site. I would block them.

I feel sorry for your children.
post #15 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I feel sorry for your children.

And I feel likewise sorry for the children of all Fandroid people.

I don't have any kids yet, but when I do, they will all be given brand new iPhones and iPads to enjoy!

Giving an Android device to a child can almost be likened to child abuse. It severely limits the learning potential of the kids. I would never be such a bad parent.
post #16 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And I feel likewise sorry for the children of all Fandroid people.

I don't have any kids yet, but when I do, they will all be given brand new iPhones and iPads to enjoy!

Giving an Android device to a child can almost be likened to child abuse. It severely limits the learning potential of the kids. I would never be such a bad parent.

The point was the fact that you don't seem to understand the fact that nothing is one size fits all and some people really do like things that you do not.

I'm going to guess you are a white straight male. Possibly Christian. And judging from your sense of entitlement probably privileged. Suppose your son is a gay Atheist? Or your daughter wishes to bartend at a strip club. Or maybe your son likes fat girls. Or a billion other off the wall things people can like that you wont. How would you react?

You are the most radical of the Apple Defense League and the most nonsensical. Ironically if you weren't pro Apple (therefore seen as one of them) people would realize you're the biggest troll here.
post #17 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And I feel likewise sorry for the children of all Fandroid people.

I don't have any kids yet, but when I do, they will all be given brand new iPhones and iPads to enjoy!

Giving an Android device to a child can almost be likened to child abuse. It severely limits the learning potential of the kids. I would never be such a bad parent.

Actually, Android will always have a place in people's homes especially if you have kids.

Just buy them the cheap junk of an Android tablet since they're going to abuse and break them. They will be cheap and disposable (like most Android tablets are) so financial impact is minimal.

When they've "graduated" to more responsibility, that's where Apple's products come in.

Cheap-junk = Android. Saying you're "ready" = iOS hardware.
post #18 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Actually, Android will always have a place in people's homes especially if you have kids.

Just buy them the cheap junk of an Android tablet since they're going to abuse and break them. They will be cheap and disposable (like most Android tablets are) so financial impact is minimal.

When they've "graduated" to more responsibility, that's where Apple's products come in.

Cheap-junk = Android. Saying you're "ready" = iOS hardware.

This doesn't actually make sense. As both tablets pretty much rely on the apps available and the ecosystem. On it's own the iPad is an app launcher (not necessarily a flaw). An android tablet with no market is more usable than an iPad with no market.
Why do you think the commercials focus on the apps?
post #19 of 44
Quote:
The group notes that Apple's iPad now accounts for 97.2 percent of all tablet-originating web traffic, driving home the reality that competitors have not yet released a significant tablet competitor.

Didn't Tim Cook just say last Tuesday that iPad only accounts for two-thirds of tablets sold? If so, he must have been feeling generous and using reported units shipped, not sold. No other manufacturer is willing to report their units sold, and now we know why.
post #20 of 44
The iPad has so many advantages over it's competitors, I'm not so sure they will ever catch up.

The fact is Apple introduced the iPad at the right time with just the right amount of polish. Competitors, unsurprisingly, are unwilling to admit they missed the boat. One problem they could rectify pretty easily is to make adverts, at the end of which, you know what was just advertised.

The President is walking around with an iPad. You can't get much better marketing than that.

iPads are replacing text books in schools and paper manuals in plane cockpits, charts in hospitals and more.

I really think the mortar is set on this one. A shame really. As much as I like the iPad, I recognize the value of competition.
post #21 of 44
In all honesty, I didn't think the iPad was anything special. i purchased one, i still don't think it's THAT much better than the competition, but the apps and the fluidity of the device make it very nice to have and use. It is definitely a very good device that I will purchase again once it's upgraded.
post #22 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by See Flat View Post

I've been a mac fanatic since 1990 and by your standards, am obviously of superior intellect and I am quite sure you are an idiot.

Who cares how long you've been a Mac fanatic for? I've been a Mac fan long before 1990 and what does that have to do with anything anyway?

Read the rules.

I am allowed to attack Fandroids. Nobody is allowed to attack me. Those are the rules. If you don't like it, then that's your problem.
post #23 of 44
It's fantastic how quick and easy it is to recategorized devices depending on the statistic one is trying to peddle. The iPad is like the chameleon of consumer devices! This is how conversations go down on AI...





These PC OS platform statistics look terrible!
Well duh! OS platforms aren't important. Individual vendors are! Ah, that's a lot better! But these "largest PC vendor" stats don't look right. Apple isn't quite at the top!
You want to beef up those "largest PC vendor" stats, just include the iPad. Simple! Hang on... if the iPad is counted as a "PC" then what are we going to do with the "media tablet" stats?
No worries, just include the iPad there as well! Oh no! I've just realized iOS isn't the highest selling smart phone OS
Well duh! Individual vendors aren't important. OS platforms are! That makes heaps of sense! If only we didn't include the iPad as a PC and a media tablet we could create a new "mobile OS" category that iOS can win!
Well that's where you would be wrong! The iPad fits right in that statistic as well! It's quite obviously a media PC tablet mobile OS device computer Cool. So is Android's growth much higher than iOS at the moment?
Market share doesn't matter. It's all about how many apps your platform has Doesn't Android have a lot of apps as well?
Didn't I just tell you? It's all about the quality of apps your platform has Oh. Well that makes sense. Isn't Android getting a lot of quality apps now as well?
Who cares about that? Don't you even understand how much of the mobile industries profit ends up at Apple? It's more than every other company combined. 70% of the iPhone price is pure profit!!!!!! Doesn't that mean Apple over-charged me for my iPhone?
You don't understand the difference between cost and value. Well now I'm confused.
Fandroid.
post #24 of 44
Quote:
The group notes that Apple's iPad now accounts for 97.2 percent of all tablet-originating web traffic, driving home the reality that competitors have not yet released a significant tablet competitor.

But just wait for Android cookie crunch, strawberry jam and whipped cream with sprinkles!
That'll really show those apple fanbois...
post #25 of 44
The iPad's become the first real tablet computer, just like the iPod became the real first music player. And just as the iPod never let any other music player beat it, the iPad will always crush every other tablet.
post #26 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

But just wait for Android cookie crunch, strawberry jam and whipped cream with sprinkles!
That'll really show those apple fanbois...

I really, really try to stay out of the whole Android/iOS thing. BUT ... I just have a problem taking something called "Ice Cream Sandwich" seriously. I really do. Maybe that's just me. I don't know. But it seems like such a silly name, and frighteningly, your examples aren't that far off from reality.
post #27 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I really, really try to stay out of the whole Android/iOS thing. BUT ... I just have a problem taking something called "Ice Cream Sandwich" seriously. I really do. Maybe that's just me. I don't know. But it seems like such a silly name, and frighteningly, your examples aren't that far off from reality.

It's a code name. Android fans have fun with it. If you'd prefer calling it Android 4.0 by all means do so.
post #28 of 44
1 - “A new market research report notes that mobile devices now amount to almost 7 percent of all US web traffic, with Apple's iOS representing a 58.5 percent slice of all mobile traffic and the iPad now accounting for more traffic than iPhones. “

2 - “Among iOS users, iPad now accounts for 46.8 percent of all traffic generated, making it now a more prolific tool than the iPhone for mobile web use, which represents 42.6 percent of iOS traffic.”

3 - “It has been speculated that the huge divergence between Android's popularity (sales of Android-based phones have outnumbered iPhone sales most of this year) and its minority presence in web analytics is due to the fact that the majority of low end devices now use Android, including basic models that work like feature phones.”


The first two statement contradict the third. iOS figures are skewed by significantly higher web usage per iPad device than phones or music players etc.

iPhone has 24.9% of mobile web traffic, compared to Android phones 30.1% (assuming Android tablets make up the 3% of non iPad tablet market which we know is not true). If we take iPad and other tablets out of the equation, (60.3% of total web traffic) we see iPhone with 39.9% of web traffic and Android phones with 48.3%. With these figures, iPhone users do have higher average web usege, but not by much. Roughly estimated, one iPhone user generates 1.5 units of use, whereas i Android phone owner generates 1.1 unit of use.

I don't know how things work in the US, but in Europe, this difference would be expected given that iPhone users tend to have high end phone contracts with high data limits. The availability of cheaper Android phones means many are on mid range contracts with lower data limits.
post #29 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Screw all other tablets! And screw Fandroids too, the most clueless and ignorant people on the planet.

Nobody is buying any other tablets! People need to quit quoting bogus 'shipped to retailers' numbers. The reality is that nobody wants the other tablets, besides a few fools and really poor people who happen to wet their pants when they can get a crappy failed tablet for $99 on a firesale.

And the few unfortunate morons who do buy other tablets are apparently not using them!
Some people are using them primarily as a doorstop, while a few other angry people have already thrown their useless tablets into the trash!

97% of entire tablet traffic is iPad!

What a way to totally dominate, kick ass, obliterate the competition, putting all pathetic Fandroids to shame and totally humiliating these clueless creatures.

i have an ipad, ipad2 and an asus transformer tablet. there are things about them all that i don't like and things about them all that i love. i prefer web browsing on the asus, but, netflix on the ipad2. the display on the ipad2 is superior, but, i like the keyboard/battery dock with the transformer. i also like the google integration on the asus but the ipad integration with itunes and the mac is better than what you get with android on the asus.
post #30 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i have an ipad, ipad2 and an asus transformer tablet. there are things about them all that i don't like and things about them all that i love. i prefer web browsing on the asus, but, netflix on the ipad2. the display on the ipad2 is superior, but, i like the keyboard/battery dock with the transformer. i also like the google integration on the asus but the ipad integration with itunes and the mac is better than what you get with android on the asus.

Don't bother replying sensibly to Apple ][. He is somehow a pro Apple troll on a pro Apple site. Quite a feat I must admit.
post #31 of 44
Amen AbsoluteDesign! Man, that dude has anger issues!!
post #32 of 44
I'm an Apple fan and my family has five Macs, six or more iPods, and we love Apple products. However, when they came out, iPads only worked on the ATT network which is abysmal in performance. I wasn't willing to trade off excellent cell coverage for six people to get one cool tablet for myself and have to put up with lousy service to boot. I did buy Android phones and tablets and have been pretty happy with them, but iPhones and iPads are better and now that Apple products are sold at Verizon, I'll go that way when my current stuff needs replacing. Despite what some of the more ravenous posts on here indicate, it's not always so clear cut as it is for a single young person only looking out for him/herself.
post #33 of 44
Guys, there are plenty of people who are bi-modal, myself included. Fixed computers, I use PCs. Why, because I'm a hardware nerd and I like building, something Apple makes difficult. My wife has a Mac. I have an iPod. My phone is a droid, because, quite frankly, its a better phone (you know, for talking to peopl), IMHO. The android OS is fine, but really, an OS is just a platform, so I don't get the religious devotion to either. I'm in the market for a tablet, and I'm going to buy an iPad. I'm not considering the android products because I think in this instance, the Apple approach makes more sense, for something I'm going to use as a news reader, or light Internet browsing device.

That said, this is an Apple forum and come here to discuss and read about Apple products, not to read flames of Apple uers (because I am one, some of the time) or read flames about non-Apple users (because I am one, some of the time).
post #34 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddo2 View Post

Guys, there are plenty of people who are bi-modal, myself included. Fixed computers, I use PCs. Why, because I'm a hardware nerd and I like building, something Apple makes difficult. My wife has a Mac. I have an iPod. My phone is a droid, because, quite frankly, its a better phone (you know, for talking to peopl), IMHO. The android OS is fine, but really, an OS is just a platform, so I don't get the religious devotion to either. I'm in the market for a tablet, and I'm going to buy an iPad. I'm not considering the android products because I think in this instance, the Apple approach makes more sense, for something I'm going to use as a news reader, or light Internet browsing device.

That said, this is an Apple forum and come here to discuss and read about Apple products, not to read flames of Apple uers (because I am one, some of the time) or read flames about non-Apple users (because I am one, some of the time).

I'd never suggest an Android tablet at this point in time. They are trying the same blitzkreig approach with tablets as with phones and it isn't going to work that way. What they need to do is release one or two tablet models per OEM per year. Highly optimized. These recent efforts seem half baked.
post #35 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I'd never suggest an Android tablet at this point in time. They are trying the same blitzkreig approach with tablets as with phones and it isn't going to work that way. What they need to do is release one or two tablet models per OEM per year. Highly optimized. These recent efforts seem half baked.

I think that's right. But, I also think there's something special about the iPad that, like iPod, created its own genre and thus attempts to copy it will be futile. I don't see anyone buying a Zune today, and it's entirely likely that the same fate will befall other tablets. It's a market Apple created and thus owns. That isn't true with the iPhone. There were other smartphones and web devices before the iPhone and there will continue to be. Phones, like computers are pretty common/essential devices now, and it isn't going to be possible for one company to dominate the market.
post #36 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddo2 View Post

I think that's right. But, I also think there's something special about the iPad that, like iPod, created its own genre and thus attempts to copy it will be futile. I don't see anyone buying a Zune today, and it's entirely likely that the same fate will befall other tablets. It's a market Apple created and thus owns. That isn't true with the iPhone. There were other smartphones and web devices before the iPhone and there will continue to be. Phones, like computers are pretty common/essential devices now, and it isn't going to be possible for one company to dominate the market.

True...I can see that. Google and the OEMs had their time (a small window) to offer a significant alternative to the iOS ecosystem and instead we got the buggy and incomplete and not really ground breaking Xoom subsidized to a carrier for a ridiculous price, sub par hardware, prominent features coming soon, designed to counter the year old iPad knowing full well a second gen iPad was around the corner. They needed to release something so amazing, so ground breaking, so WOW that even Apple ][ would stop to stare for maybe even a second.

As you can tell I am not a fan of Android tablets and have steered 2 of my friends away from cheaper Android tablets because there literally is no point yet, if ever.

Also side note: Google REALLLLY needs to dictate a strict broad criteria for app UI and icons...look at any Android screenshot thread and you'll see awesome screen, awesome screen, awesome screen, then about 10 hideous screens with pixelated images...etc...some people are literally blind to design.

With Apple's focus on form and function they manage very few if any ugly apps.

Google can still enforce DESIGN paradigms while still having a relatively open market.
post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Also side note: Google REALLLLY needs to dictate a strict broad criteria for app UI and icons...look at any Android screenshot thread and you'll see awesome screen, awesome screen, awesome screen, then about 10 hideous screens with pixelated images...etc...some people are literally blind to design.

With Apple's focus on form and function they manage very few if any ugly apps.

Google can still enforce DESIGN paradigms while still having a relatively open market.

This is a good point. But the open market is a double edged sword. As an android phone user, and I do think that the Droid-based phones work very well and are well constructed. And, I do like the open App approach, but, this also leads to fraudulent Apps that hang around way longer than controversial/fraudulent Apps in the iTunes world. For months there was several versions of a droid version of cut the rope, none of which were real, that, once you read the reviews, would give you crashes, or were simply dynamic wallpaper. I don't have tons of apps on my iPod, but what I've seen, this isn't much of a problem with Apple.
post #38 of 44
Quote:
However, when they came out, iPads only worked on the ATT network which is abysmal in performance. I wasn't willing to trade off excellent cell coverage for six people to get one cool tablet for myself and have to put up with lousy service to boot.

Why would you have had to given up any excellent cell coverage?

The iPad has its own month-to-month service. It wouldn't replace your phone service.
post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Why would you have had to given up any excellent cell coverage?

The iPad has its own month-to-month service. It wouldn't replace your phone service.

That's why I didn't do it, but there were MANY people who ditched their cell carrier and went to ATT for their cell service because they wanted an iPad so badly.
post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPF1 View Post

That's why I didn't do it, but there were MANY people who ditched their cell carrier and went to ATT for their cell service because they wanted an iPad so badly.

Why would they have to ditch their current cell carrier to get an AT&T iPad?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • iPad now 97% of tablet traffic, eclipses iPhone, iOS remains mobile leader
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › iPad now 97% of tablet traffic, eclipses iPhone, iOS remains mobile leader