or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 4S includes 512 MB of RAM, same as iPhone 4
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPhone 4S includes 512 MB of RAM, same as iPhone 4

post #1 of 96
Thread Starter 
A pair of reports this week are lending support to earlier claims that Apple's new iPhone 4S does not include more on-board RAM than its predecessor.

Donald Mustard, creative director for Epic Games subsidiary Chair Entertainment, recently let slip in an interview detailing Infinity Blade 2 that the iPhone 4S will sport 512 MB of RAM.

Given that a demo of Infinity Blade 2 was prepared for and unveiled as part of Apple's iPhone 4S keynote presentation last Tuesday, Mustard's comments are likely a result of first-hand knowledge of the iPhone 4S specifications, as Apple was reported to have provided select game developers with early versions of the iPhone 4S hardware for their development purposes.

Separately, a poster on a Chinese-language blog claims to have taken possession of the iPhone 4S, which he also says has 512MB of RAM. Both reports appear to confirm an AppleInsider article that first reported the information in early September.

With the move to Apple's A5 chip and dual-core graphics, the iPhone 4S's underpinnings now largely mirror that of the iPad 2, which also contains 512MB of RAM.

For the past two years, Apple has used the iPad to usher in a new mobile architecture before transferring those rights to a new iPhone. As such, iPad 3 stands to become the most likely iOS device to first receive an upgrade to 1GB of RAM when it hits the market early in the second quarter of 2012.
post #2 of 96
I see no reason to assert that the iPad 3 will contain 1GB of RAM, nor sufficient reason to define 1GB of RAM as some kind of new 'threshold' for Apple's iOS products.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #3 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With the move to Apple's A5 chip and dual-core graphics, the iPhone 4S's underpinnings now largely mirror that of the iPad 2, which also contains 512MB of RAM.

Benchmarks seem to indicate that the iPhone 4S' A5 processor is likely clocked slower than the iPad 2's processor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I see no reason to assert that the iPad 3 will contain 1GB of RAM, nor sufficient reason to define 1GB of RAM as some kind of new 'threshold' for Apple's iOS products.

Safari would benefit greatly from increased RAM to handle graphic intensive websites such as Memebase better. Or, multiple tabs.
post #4 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Benchmarks seem to indicate that the iPhone 4S' A5 processor is likely clocked slower than the iPad 2's processor.

Makes sense. It's a smaller, more mobile device, and lacks the battery of the iPad 2.
post #5 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I see no reason to assert that the iPad 3 will contain 1GB of RAM, nor sufficient reason to define 1GB of RAM as some kind of new 'threshold' for Apple's iOS products.

Moreover, it is likely that there is an iPhone 4S with 1GB of RAM sitting in a lab in Cupertino. The Powers That Be simply decided that the extra RAM really didn't provide a significant improvement of the user experience that is achieved with 512MB. I'm sure Apple's prototype testing protocol includes a wide variety of functions (web browsing, photography, videography, editing media, a selection of popular apps, Siri, etc.).
post #6 of 96
It's time to rethink the correlation between memory and performance. Looking at iPhone 4S' performance today, it's clear to me that I have more learning to do. I'm wondering if this is purely the result of software optimization. Whatever the case, the guys in Cupertino know something that many technologists do not.
post #7 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Makes sense. It's a smaller, more mobile device, and lacks the battery of the iPad 2.

Are we 100% sure it only has 512K RAM?

Why don't they use some of the media storage as RAM? Then it would have 16.5, 32.5 or 64.5 GB or RAM? Which would be more than most Macs!
post #8 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

It's time to rethink the correlation between memory and performance. Looking at iPhone 4S' performance today, it's clear to me that I have more learning to do. I'm wondering if this is purely the result of software optimization. Whatever the case, the guys in Cupertino know something that many technologists do not.

Multithreading optimizations is my guess to make solid use of both cores.
post #9 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

It's time to rethink the correlation between memory and performance. Looking at iPhone 4S' performance today, it's clear to me that I have more learning to do. I'm wondering if this is purely the result of software optimization. Whatever the case, the guys in Cupertino know something that many technologists do not.

You can truly optimize the software when you have complete control over the hardware design.

Apple is a software-driven company who writes software and creates services that run best on their proprietary hardware.
post #10 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I see no reason to assert that the iPad 3 will contain 1GB of RAM, nor sufficient reason to define 1GB of RAM as some kind of new 'threshold' for Apple's iOS products.

If the iPad 3 gets double resolution then I think 1GB RAM is a given.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #11 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Multithreading optimizations is my guess to make solid use of both cores.

And the additional GPU cores and increased L2 Cache (1MB vs 512k) add to the optimization.
post #12 of 96
c'mon folks,
the RAM is built into the CPU chip. Its the same CPU as the iPad2. Why would anyone expect it to have a different amount of RAM than the iPad2? Of course it has 512MB of RAM.
post #13 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I see no reason to assert that the iPad 3 will contain 1GB of RAM, nor sufficient reason to define 1GB of RAM as some kind of new 'threshold' for Apple's iOS products.

That's what I like about AppleInsider: making promises that Apple may or may not keep. We don't even know if it will be called "iPad 3". It could be the iPad 2S

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #14 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by eswinson View Post

And the additional GPU cores and increased L2 Cache (1MB vs 512k) add to the optimization.

My guess is that the memory bus in the A5 is faster than that of the A4. That would be another source of optimization.
post #15 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Moreover, it is likely that there is an iPhone 4S with 1GB of RAM sitting in a lab in Cupertino. The Powers That Be simply decided that the extra RAM really didn't provide a significant improvement of the user experience that is achieved with 512MB. I'm sure Apple's prototype testing protocol includes a wide variety of functions (web browsing, photography, videography, editing media, a selection of popular apps, Siri, etc.).

I think not requiring that Safari reload on every page switch would be a significant improvement in user experience.
post #16 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

c'mon folks,
the RAM is built into the CPU chip. Its the same CPU as the iPad2. Why would anyone expect it to have a different amount of RAM than the iPad2? Of course it has 512MB of RAM.

The iPhone 4 A4 had more RAM (512mb) than the iPad A4 (256mb). The 4th gen iPod touch with A4 also only has 256mb RAM.
post #17 of 96
My original Apple computer had 64K of RAM on board. I suggest Apple go back to the way they sold the Apple IIe, with dual disc drives.
post #18 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think not requiring that Safari reload on every page switch would be a significant improvement in user experience.

I've never had that happen with the iPhone, expect for a couple early revision of iPhone oS 2.x, and with the original iPad.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #19 of 96
I was hoping that the 4s would more RAM cause i cant remember how many times my Iphone 4 has crashed due to safari using so much ram. now i have to think whether to get the iphone 4s.
post #20 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

You can truly optimize the software when you have complete control over the hardware design.

Apple is a software-driven company who writes software and creates services that run best on their proprietary hardware.

See, for example:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...rk_scores.html

Look at the iPhone 4 scores with iOS 4.2.1 vs iOS 5.0. Clearly, the software has been significantly improved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

c'mon folks,
the RAM is built into the CPU chip. Its the same CPU as the iPad2. Why would anyone expect it to have a different amount of RAM than the iPad2? Of course it has 512MB of RAM.

Because the RAM and the CPU are different components of the same module.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #21 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think not requiring that Safari reload on every page switch would be a significant improvement in user experience.

My guess is that Apple tests Safari with multiple tabs. Again, the Powers That Be decided from their testing of this and other applications that 512MB provided a sufficiently satisfactory experience for the majority of its users.

Perhaps you are loading extra-intensive pages. I don't recall having Safari reload each time on my iPad 2.
post #22 of 96
Typically, one of the speed bottlenecks a computer encounters when not enough RAM is available is the process of swapping memory out to disk to free up RAM for other tasks. Because writing speeds to hard disk are relatively slow, that's where you encounter slowdowns.

Nowadays, most mobile devices use flash memory which is faster than a traditional hard drive which means the speed for swapping RAM contents out to disk should be less of an issue. Assuming there isn't some gotcha in this scenario (and I don't profess to be an expert in these matters) I have to ask why does the amount of RAM in a mobile device even matter? Seems it would be a lot less critical for performance than for a computer.
post #23 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I see no reason to assert that the iPad 3 will contain 1GB of RAM, nor sufficient reason to define 1GB of RAM as some kind of new 'threshold' for Apple's iOS products.

Indeed. Spec wanking at its finest.

If it can do what it promises and well that is enough

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #24 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

That's what I like about AppleInsider: making promises that Apple may or may not keep. We don't even know if it will be called "iPad 3". It could be the iPad 2S

That's a very good point. Won't that just burst some people's veins?
post #25 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by curveddesign.com View Post

Are we 100% sure it only has 512K RAM?

Why don't they use some of the media storage as RAM? Then it would have 16.5, 32.5 or 64.5 GB or RAM? Which would be more than most Macs!

RAM is written to many times per second. The storage chips you are referring to have limited amount of write cycles. Meaning your storage space will wear off very quickly. So, not a good idea.
Posted by the door post at the post office the post man posted his last post-millennial post card with a Penny Black postage stamp via the Royal Post.
Reply
Posted by the door post at the post office the post man posted his last post-millennial post card with a Penny Black postage stamp via the Royal Post.
Reply
post #26 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I see no reason to assert that the iPad 3 will contain 1GB of RAM, nor sufficient reason to define 1GB of RAM as some kind of new 'threshold' for Apple's iOS products.

If the iPad 3 has a retina display, it will need 1 GB at minimum.

You will be looking at 4x pixels.
post #27 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

c'mon folks,
the RAM is built into the CPU chip. Its the same CPU as the iPad2. Why would anyone expect it to have a different amount of RAM than the iPad2? Of course it has 512MB of RAM.

The RAM is NOT built into the CPU chip.
post #28 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShack View Post

RAM is written to many times per second. The storage chips you are referring to have limited amount of write cycles. Meaning your storage space will wear off very quickly. So, not a good idea.

Write endurance for solid state storage is not the same problem it once was.
post #29 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by eswinson View Post

And the additional GPU cores and increased L2 Cache (1MB vs 512k) add to the optimization.

It would be interesting if Webkit was OpenCL enabled to make good use of the GPUs.
post #30 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

It would be interesting if Webkit was OpenCL enabled to make good use of the GPUs.

For parallel computing?
post #31 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If the iPad 3 gets double resolution then I think 1GB RAM is a given.

I will bet my firstborn that iPad 3 resolution will not double. Won't happen, and please mark my word (so if I happen to be wrong you can remind me in the future).

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #32 of 96
So then why doesn't the iPhone 4 get Siri? Processor? Ok then why not the iPad which in all likelihood matches ram and has a faster processor, at least equal?
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
Reply
0 People Found This Reply Helpful
Reply
post #33 of 96
My guess is that Apple has limited Siri to the iPhone 4S to make it a differentiating feature, even if the iPhone 4 might have the horsepower to run it.

It's still beta, so it's possible that we might see Siri on other devices once it leaves beta status (although I'm not counting on it) and if Apple can optimize it enough to run on older devices.
post #34 of 96
Great. So how long till someone hacks Siri to run on the 4, thus making Apple look like the asshats they seem to be by making it a 4S exclusive?
post #35 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingNewMedia View Post

My original Apple computer had 64K of RAM on board. I suggest Apple go back to the way they sold the Apple IIe, with dual disc drives.

I own most of the worlds last stock of 5 1/4 - I have refused to believe so far there is no longer any need,,,
post #36 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

I own most of the worlds last stock of 5 1/4 - I have refused to believe so far there is no longer any need,,,

How much is "most"? I have at least fifty blanks and 200 store-bought myself.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #37 of 96
Im not surprised by this. The iPad 2 runs very smoothly on 512 MB of RAM. Safari caches internet content making multi-tab browsing fluid. Im not a number cruncher but iOS can probably achieve more with 512 MB than a PC could with 1GB because of the lack of overhead.

Although some people malign Apple for not offering true multitasking I see their implementation as a boon for users because it prevents software developers from authoring lazy code that constantly runs in the background, choking the device.
post #38 of 96
I was wondering what we'd have to talk about until iPad 3. Siri complaints it is! Has anyone here tried it yet?

Btw, I'm certain the 4s has more than 512MB. I read a post here where I guy said so. Oh and the iPod Classic is gone too.
post #39 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

For parallel computing?

For basic compositing, and two dozen other uses.
post #40 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealestmc View Post

I was hoping that the 4s would more RAM cause i cant remember how many times my Iphone 4 has crashed due to safari using so much ram. now i have to think whether to get the iphone 4s.

Goddamn, man, lay off the porn
My iPhone 4 Safari rarely crashes. In fact, it's more reliable than IE9 on my office computer.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 4S includes 512 MB of RAM, same as iPhone 4