or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Testing shows iPhone 4S A5 GPU clocked at 800MHz, 73% faster than iPhone 4
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Testing shows iPhone 4S A5 GPU clocked at 800MHz, 73% faster than iPhone 4

post #1 of 48
Thread Starter 
New Geekbench scores of the forthcoming iPhone 4S show that its custom-built A5 CPU is clocked at 800MHz, while the dual-core processor gives it a 73 percent performance boost than the iPhone 4.

The new figures from AnandTech show the iPhone 4S with an overall Geekbench score of 623, easily besting the 800MHz A4 CPU found in the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4S processor is clocked slower than the 1GHz A5 CPu found in the iPad 2, which earned a score of 751.

And in terms of its graphics processing capabilities, the iPhone 4S lived up to claims of being seven times faster than the iPhone 4. In one test, the iPhone 4S earned a score of 73.1 while the iPhone 4 took 11.2, and in another the iPhone 4S clocked a score of 122.7, compared to 15.3 for the iPhone 4.

GPU scores for the iPhone 4S, like the overall CPU score, were slightly slower than the iPad 2. But they also easily bested the competition, including the Samsung Galaxy S II, Samsung Infuse 4G, and Motorola Droid Bionic, all of which feature processors with higher clock speeds.

The site noted that while lowering the clock speed of the A5 from 1GHz in the iPad 2 to 800MHz in the iPhone 4S results in a "marginal loss" in performance, but "yields a greater-than-linear decrease in power consumption," offering the handset even greater battery life.



"At a lower operating frequency than its Android competitors, Apple does have to exploit its strengths in software to avoid any tangible performance penalties," authors Anand Lai Shimpi and Brian Klug wrote. "Apple has traditionally done this very well in the past, so I don't expect the loss of frequency to be a huge deal to the few who cross-shop iOS and Android."

The testing also correlated with earlier results that showed the iPhone 4S will offer a huge leap in performance over the iPhone 4 in its Mobile Safari Browser. In SunSpider Javascript Benchmark tests, where a lower score is better, the iPhone 4S earned 2222, compared to 3921 for the iPhone 4 and 5785 for the iPhone 3GS.
post #2 of 48
So these numbers tell that there is absolutely no reason why Siri won't be coming to an iPad 2
post #3 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

GPU scores for the iPhone 4S, like the overall CPU score, were slightly slower than the iPad 2. But they also easily bested the competition, including the Samsung Galaxy S II, Samsung Infuse 4G, and Motorola Droid Bionic, all of which feature processors with higher clock speeds.

Cue all the trolls who are going to start whining that the test isn't meaningful and the iPhone's specs are inadequate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

So these numbers tell that there is absolutely no reason why Siri won't be coming to an iPad 2

Nonsense. First, these tests show that the iPhone 4S is anywhere between almost twice as fast and up to 7 times as fast as the iPhone 4 (with OpenCL, software might be using the GPL). Second, IIRC, most of these tests are single threaded. If Siri is multithreaded, you get another two-fold improvement.

Clearly, the 4S is dramatically faster than the 4.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #4 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Cue all the trolls who are going to start whining that the test isn't meaningful and the iPhone's specs are inadequate.



Nonsense. First, these tests show that the iPhone 4S is anywhere between almost twice as fast and up to 7 times as fast as the iPhone 4 (with OpenCL, software might be using the GPL). Second, IIRC, most of these tests are single threaded. If Siri is multithreaded, you get another two-fold improvement.

Clearly, the 4S is dramatically faster than the 4.

You completely mis-read the other guy's post. He was asking why Siri isn't on the iPad 2, which is in every way a more powerful device than the iPhone 4S.
post #5 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

So these numbers tell that there is absolutely no reason why Siri won't be coming to an iPad 2

No reason related to hardware or software viability.

There are other reasons in the world.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #6 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

You completely mis-read the other guy's post.

Nothing new. I find that sort of response to my posts on a regular basis.
post #7 of 48
When checking perfomance you MUST take in more than just FPS. Code and processes get tweeaked with harware hooks and vocabulary. The FPS rate on a iProduct is always faster the either Android or Windows. Apple has this nifty little way they drop error correction and average frame data. It is faster and I think it at times for what it is used on is the way to go. But bottom line is how many calculations per second can the device do. Lets redo these charts with GPU and CPU averaged against battery consumption. Then I would say the person that wrote it was serious and not just a fan with a very liberal agenda. With out this your only showing the good and not the bad. A review has to be biased to be believed.
post #8 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

So these numbers tell that there is absolutely no reason why Siri won't be coming to an iPad 2

Dave, I read on another site that Siri is actually running on a seperate chip within the iPhone 4S - So, there may still be a hardware limitation. I don't think we'll be sure, however, until there are tear downs to verify new additional hardware.
post #9 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUDaniel View Post

Dave, I read on another site that Siri is actually running on a seperate chip within the iPhone 4S - So, there may still be a hardware limitation. I don't think we'll be sure, however, until there are tear downs to verify new additional hardware.

Well at least we can agree that the next iPad will get Siri - an iPad 2S? Forget that retina display- Apple will milk Siri firstly.
Someone is gonna get a nice iPad 2 from me if it remains Siri-less, seriously.
post #10 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Well at least we can agree that the next iPad will get Siri - an iPad 2S? Forget that retina display- Apple will milk Siri firstly.
Someone is gonna get a nice iPad 2 from me if it remains Siri-less, seriously.

If it works as shown... Lots of Apple technology looks great until it gets into the field and doesn't work quite right in the field...
post #11 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfweezel View Post

When checking perfomance you MUST take in more than just FPS. Code and processes get tweeaked with harware hooks and vocabulary. The FPS rate on a iProduct is always faster the either Android or Windows. Apple has this nifty little way they drop error correction and average frame data. It is faster and I think it at times for what it is used on is the way to go. But bottom line is how many calculations per second can the device do. Lets redo these charts with GPU and CPU averaged against battery consumption. Then I would say the person that wrote it was serious and not just a fan with a very liberal agenda. With out this your only showing the good and not the bad. A review has to be biased to be believed.

Maybe you can translate that to english so we can comment on it, because right now I don't have a clue what you are saying.

Are you implying Apple deliberately puts benchmark hooks into iOS to make their devices look better? Not sure I'm following you here...
post #12 of 48
Why does every mac site have a different number on how much faster it is then the iphone 4 yet they reference the same article?
post #13 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Why does every mac site have a different number on how much faster it is then the iphone 4 yet they reference the same article?

Hmmm... \
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #14 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

So these numbers tell that there is absolutely no reason why Siri won't be coming to an iPad 2

I can think of one, licensing costs. The voice recognition they are using is licensed from Nuance and there is a good chance there are other technologies that they need to license to make Siri possible. It doesn't make sense to pay licensing costs to add features to the millions of iPad2's they have already sold. Also the margins are a bit smaller for the iPad, so the additional costs may throw off the pricing structure of the current generation of iPads. I wouldn't expect to see it until the next generation of iPads come out.
post #15 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Nonsense. First, these tests show that the iPhone 4S is anywhere between almost twice as fast and up to 7 times as fast as the iPhone 4 (with OpenCL, software might be using the GPL). Second, IIRC, most of these tests are single threaded. If Siri is multithreaded, you get another two-fold improvement.

Clearly, the 4S is dramatically faster than the 4.


They were talking about the iPad2 which has an A5 as well... before you call "Nonsense" make sure you're not full of it yourself
post #16 of 48
Interesting that the Original iPad was not in the benchmarks? Unless I missed it somehow...
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #17 of 48
The tech community remains unimpressed with those charts. They all wanted to see an iPhone 5 and anything less doesn't cut it. The iPhone 4S still looks like the iPhone 4 and leaders of tech didn't want to wait 16 months to see a rerun. Android smartphone vendors put out a completely new smartphone every month and that's the standard smartphone cycle that Apple is expected to match. A two-year old recycled iPhone 4 meant iDisappointment from tech-heads and pundits everywhere.
post #18 of 48
Does that mean vacuous conversations overheard in public will now be 73% quicker as well? We can hope...
post #19 of 48
So that GLBenchmark, is it taken seriously? Is it impressive how much better the 4s does than the 4, or is that just because of software mainly?

If it actually does a good job of showing the processing power of the new chip, that's an incredible difference. Wowza
post #20 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by aknabi View Post

They were talking about the iPad2 which has an A5 as well... before you call "Nonsense" make sure you're not full of it yourself

You can't say what HW a chip contains simply because they both have the same marketing brand printed on them. As we saw with the original iPad's A4 chip and the iPhone 4's A4 chip, one had double the amount of RAM as the other.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #21 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Why does every mac site have a different number on how much faster it is then the iphone 4 yet they reference the same article?

gotta keep AAPL up after SJ died
post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Why does every mac site have a different number on how much faster it is then the iphone 4 yet they reference the same article?

Because some people are bad at math.
post #23 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Why does every mac site have a different number on how much faster it is then the iphone 4 yet they reference the same article?

Reading comprehension. Or lack of?
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #24 of 48
I just hope iOS 5 isn't optimized for 4s and it doesn't make iPhone 4 uselessly slow like iOS 4 did iPhone 3G.

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Reply

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Reply
post #25 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You can't say what HW a chip contains simply because they both have the same marketing brand printed on them. As we saw with the original iPad's A4 chip and the iPhone 4's A4 chip, one had double the amount of RAM as the other.

Again we already know that both iPad 2 and iPhone 4S have the same amount of RAM -512MB so that analogy is meaningless.
post #26 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Again we already know that both iPad 2 and iPhone 4S have the same amount of RAM -512MB so that analogy is meaningless.

The A5 chip isn't a RAM chip. It contains RAM. It also contains many other components.

What you have failed to tell us is why you think that both chips are EXACTLY the same simple because the amount of RAM is the same. Even the manufacture of the RAM and speed of the RAM could be different, even among the RAM, yet you don't seem to understand the basic logic behind the chip's designation or that Apple has already released two A4 chips that were not identical.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #27 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The A5 chip isn't a RAM chip. It contains RAM. It also contains many other components.

What you have failed to tell us is why you think that both chips are EXACTLY the same simple because the amount of RAM is the same. Even the manufacture of the RAM and speed of the RAM could be different, even among the RAM, yet you don't seem to understand the basic logic behind the chip's designation or that Apple has already released two A4 chips that were not identical.

No YOU have failed to tell us WHAT "specs aren't the same" as you've claimed. I've been waiting to hear what YOU know that know one else seems to.
Fill us in.

BTW- I've never claimed the 2 A4 chips weren't different as one had 256RAM and one had 512MB of RAM. I can both read and comprehend.
post #28 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post

I just hope iOS 5 isn't optimized for 4s and it doesn't make iPhone 4 uselessly slow like iOS 4 did iPhone 3G.

See the benchmark tests elsewhere on this site. iOS 5 significantly increased the speed of the iPhone 4 on at least one benchmark, so I don't think your fears are founded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The A5 chip isn't a RAM chip. It contains RAM. It also contains many other components.

What you have failed to tell us is why you think that both chips are EXACTLY the same simple because the amount of RAM is the same. Even the manufacture of the RAM and speed of the RAM could be different, even among the RAM, yet you don't seem to understand the basic logic behind the chip's designation or that Apple has already released two A4 chips that were not identical.

To be fair, there was one report from the guy who did the 4S game demo that indicated that the 4S has 512 MB.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #29 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKol View Post

No YOU have failed to tell us WHAT "specs aren't the same" as you've claimed. I've been waiting to hear what you know that know one else seems to.
Fill us in.

Arguments don't work that way. You're the one who is claiming they are exactly the same because the amount of RAM is the same. I only pointed out your fallacy. So, again, tell us why you are so damn sure these chips are exactly the same because the amount of RAM is the same. We're waiting...
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

To be fair, there was one report from the guy who did the 4S game demo that indicated that the 4S has 512 MB.

I'm not sure what's you're being fair about. iKoi thinks the chips are exactly the same because the RAM capacities are the same. I explained that isn't proof. He doesn't understand how that can't be possible because he doesn't understand how complex this PoP/SoCs are.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #31 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Arguments don't work that way. You're the one who is claiming they are exactly the same because the amount of RAM is the same. I only pointed out your fallacy. So, again, tell us why you are so damn sure these chips are exactly the same because the amount of RAM is the same. We're waiting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) The specs aren't the same.

You owe us all an explanation.
You made a facto absoluto. Not me. What are You so keen to that alludes us all.
Waiting......................
Patiently.
post #32 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKol View Post

You owe us all an explanation.
You made a facto absoluto. Not me. What are keen to that alludes us all.
Waiting......................
Patiently.

Your argument from that previous thread was that the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 devices had the same exact specs as noted by your comment, "the specs [of the iPhone 4S] are the same as iPad 2", not specifically the A5 chip. I clearly stated they did not as evidenced by my links below.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html Don't think we didn't notice you deleting the second point I made in post. I then tried to break you of your poor logic by breaking you out of your assumption hole (or ass.hole, for short) by clearly explaining, "Don't think that both [the iPhone 4S and iPad 2] having a general classification of A5 on the chip means the A5's are the same."


In this thread for which you disagreed, I stated, "You can't say what HW a chip contains simply because they both have the same marketing brand printed on them."

Yet somehow you still think that having the same amount of RAM means that every other aspect of the A5 is exactly the same. Waiting for an answer...
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #33 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Your argument from that previous thread was that the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 devices had the same exact specs as noted by your comment, "the specs [of the iPhone 4S] are the same as iPad 2", not specifically the A5 chip. I clearly stated they did not as evidenced by my links below.
http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html Don't think we didn't notice you deleting the second point I made in post. I then tried to break you of your poor logic by breaking you out of your assumption hole (or ass.hole, for short) by clearly explaining, "Don't think that both [the iPhone 4S and iPad 2] having a general classification of A5 on the chip means the A5's are the same."


In this thread for which you disagreed, I stated, "You can't say what HW a chip contains simply because they both have the same marketing brand printed on them."

Yet somehow you still think that having the same amount of RAM means that every other aspect of the A5 is exactly the same. Waiting for an answer...

Nice try- like fools gold.
I'd love to give your full quote now and bore everyone here while you keep playing dodge ball.

You stated after "1.) The specs aren't the same" that
"2) Don't think that both having a general classification of A5 on the chip means the A5's are the same. Note the iPad's 'A4' chip came with 256MB RAM whilst the iPhone 4's A4 came with 512MB RAM."

And I said that's not the case here. Prove to me now how 512 does not = 512 for this A5 yet last year's A4 at 256 and 512 were only different in respect to their RAM alone. again - WHAT SPECS?

Lot's of luck.
post #34 of 48
"Testing shows iPhone 4S A5 GPU clocked at 800MHz"

Lol...No. The GPU is probably 200-300MHz, the processor cores are at 800. The whole SoC does not operate at one speed.
post #35 of 48
There really arent any surprises or anything to truthfully boast about. The A5 is a great processor with the best GPU bar none so far. The A5 spanking everything graphics related is expected.

Browser wise is where its quite interesting as iOS5 seems to have brought numerous improvements that bests Honeycomb ever so slightly running on the Tegra 2, while subsequently blowing out Gingerbread. Gingerbread devices do not utilize multiple cores (Honeycomb does) when using the browser (a simple Google search backs this up) so iOS5 even on the iPhone 4 crushes even the best Android devices due to this, and this is because of Google.

While iOS5 has lept past Gingerbread and Honeycomb, it will be interesting so see the performance of iOS5 vs Ice Cream Sandwich, which "should" have all the underpinnings of Honeycomb plus any possible improvements Google has added to its V8 engine.
post #36 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

So these numbers tell that there is absolutely no reason why Siri won't be coming to an iPad 2

Agreed, specs wise there doesn't seem to be much of a difference. Although will wait until iFixit have a look. Maybe they are just waiting until it comes out of Beta, but even if it's slightly less useful than on the iPhone right now, it'll still be a good addition.
post #37 of 48
So does this mean the chip is underclocked and could be unlocked to 1GHZ?
post #38 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifail View Post

There really arent any surprises or anything to truthfully boast about. The A5 is a great processor with the best GPU bar none so far. The A5 spanking everything graphics related is expected.

Browser wise is where its quite interesting as iOS5 seems to have brought numerous improvements that bests Honeycomb ever so slightly running on the Tegra 2, while subsequently blowing out Gingerbread. Gingerbread devices do not utilize multiple cores (Honeycomb does) when using the browser (a simple Google search backs this up) so iOS5 even on the iPhone 4 crushes even the best Android devices due to this, and this is because of Google.

While iOS5 has lept past Gingerbread and Honeycomb, it will be interesting so see the performance of iOS5 vs Ice Cream Sandwich, which "should" have all the underpinnings of Honeycomb plus any possible improvements Google has added to its V8 engine.

If history repeats itself those 1.2GHz w/ 1GB RAM Android-based devices will still less Floyd and smooth than te iPhone 4S at ~800MHz /w 512MB RAM, and ICS Android Browser will still beat Mobile Safari in most synthetic and real world benchmarks.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #39 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If history repeats itself those 1.2GHz w/ 1GB RAM Android-based devices will still less Floyd and smooth than te iPhone 4S at ~800MHz /w 512MB RAM, and ICS Android Browser will still beat Mobile Safari in most synthetic and real world benchmarks.

Waiting.
post #40 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

If it works as shown... Lots of Apple technology looks great until it gets into the field and doesn't work quite right in the field...

Right. Like the whole iPod fad. And how about Mac. And iPhone. And iPad. The whole multitouch thing. iTunes Music Store. The App Store. All the shit that everyone copies. None of that works quite right in the field.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Testing shows iPhone 4S A5 GPU clocked at 800MHz, 73% faster than iPhone 4
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Testing shows iPhone 4S A5 GPU clocked at 800MHz, 73% faster than iPhone 4