or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Obama Jobs Bill Defeated By Democrat-controlled Senate?

Obama Jobs Bill Defeated By Democrat-controlled Senate?

post #1 of 4
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1005900.html

What's going on?
post #2 of 4
Oh, I get it, the Republicans control both the House of Reps and the Senate.

Obama is doomed™

"The Senate does not restrict the total time allowed for debate; instead, a motion for cloture must be passed to end debate. A three-fifths majority of all senators duly sworn (60 senators, assuming there is no more than one vacancy) is required to approve the cloture motion and proceed to a vote on the main issue. Thus, although a bill might have majority support, a minority of 41 senators can prevent a final vote, effectively defeating the bill."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear...o_Senate_rules

I'm not going to criticise the US system because clearly that has worked for quite some time. But it looks like there is potential for some deep abuse of the system.

I don't understand the cloture motion. Because that eradicates the Senate passing anything with just a simple majority. Can anyone explain the advantages of this?
post #3 of 4
One more thing I don't understand, if you can share, how was the bill introduced directly into the senate, from what it sounds like?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1005900.html

Edit: OK... from what I gather, in the US system, you can introduce a bill in the Senate, it need not be passed in the lower house first unlike Westminster-based systems. As long as both houses pass it, then the President signs it into law.

So in this case, It looks like Obama played the populist card by introducing it directly into the Senate, to demonstrate the Democrats backed it fully but showing the Republicans are "sabotaging" America. He knew if he introduced it into the House of Reps it would die straight away.

So much for the "You should pass this bill" speech.

Things are getting funky. And not in a good way.

With cloture, essentially the Republicans control the Senate and hence can block any bills. Top this off with a Republican-controlled House Of Reps and things are going to be very, very hard for Obama. This is only going to get worse.
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Oh, I get it, the Republicans control both the House of Reps and the Senate.

Obama is doomed

"The Senate does not restrict the total time allowed for debate; instead, a motion for cloture must be passed to end debate. A three-fifths majority of all senators duly sworn (60 senators, assuming there is no more than one vacancy) is required to approve the cloture motion and proceed to a vote on the main issue. Thus, although a bill might have majority support, a minority of 41 senators can prevent a final vote, effectively defeating the bill."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear...o_Senate_rules

I'm not going to criticise the US system because clearly that has worked for quite some time. But it looks like there is potential for some deep abuse of the system.

I don't understand the cloture motion. Because that eradicates the Senate passing anything with just a simple majority. Can anyone explain the advantages of this?

The two chambers were designed differently. The House is basically considered to be a more direct form of democracy and is given over to craziness like people's passions of the moment and populism. Debate there is tightly controlled with each side given time to speak and having to yield back then second you are done.

The Senate is pretty much the exact opposite. Every state gets two Senators. It is considered to be a more intellectual chamber and a barrier against popular and rash decisions. Debate is supposed to go as long as it takes to get everything thought out or stated on a topic. Cloture is the motion to end discussion or debate on a topic. It requires 60 votes in part due to Senate rules which they have determined themselves and can modify themselves but those rules reflect the nature of the Senate. They can change and often one side ponders this to try to push through something they want but realizes they will be on the flip side of that decision perhaps as soon as two years later.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Obama Jobs Bill Defeated By Democrat-controlled Senate?