or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases Find My Friends, AirPort Utility for iOS 5

Apple releases Find My Friends, AirPort Utility for iOS 5

post #1 of 46
Continuing to debut iCloud-powered software and new features for iOS 5, Apple on Wednesday released Find My Friends and AirPort Utility on the App Store.

Find My Friends is a free download designed for iOS devices, and weighs in at 10.4MB. It requires iOS 5 and an iCloud account, which can be created free on an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.

"Find My Friends allows you to easily locate your friends and family from your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch," the official description reads. "Install this free app on your iOS 5 device and sign in with the Apple ID you use with iCloud.

"Adding a friend is easy -- just send a request to see their location. Once your friend accepts using the Find My Friends app, you will then be able to see that friend's location on a list or on a map."

Users can choose to share their location for a limited period of time with a group of friends. Apple said the software can be used to keep track of traveling companions when on vacation, or to see if your children are home from school, or to find friends you're meeting for dinner.

Features of the application, as listed by Apple, include:
Easily locate friends and family
Temporary sharing option
Simple privacy controls
Parental restrictions
Free for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch

Also now available is AirPort Utility, also for iOS 5 devices. The application allows users to manage their Wi-Fi network and AirPort base stations. The free download is 4.5MB.

AirPort Utility lets users make changes to an AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule directly from an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

"See a graphical overview of your Wi-Fi network and devices," the description reads. "Change base station and network settings, or manage advanced features such as security modes, wireless channels and more."

With AirPort Utility, users can:
See a graphical overview of your Wi-Fi network
Get information about your connected Wi-Fi devices
view and change network and Wi-Fi settings
restart or restore a base station, or update the firmware on a base station when available
View or update passwords for your network, base stations or disks
Easily access network information such as IP address, DNS servers, and router addresses
Manage DHCP reservations and port mappings
View status or error messages for your base stations
post #2 of 46
Gotta have the new design of AirPort stations to use it, though.

The (white, at least. I would imagine the grey one, too, as it's even older) saucer style isn't compatible.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #3 of 46
Airport Utility. Great for when you're in a hotel with an iPad and forgot to change the profile of your Airport Express.
post #4 of 46
Another addition for the 'post-PC' area. No more PC needed to setup your home WLAN.
post #5 of 46
I don't see it on the UK App store as yet...
post #6 of 46
I didn't find it on the US store either, but clicking the link provided in the article aloud me to download it in iTunes and it automatically showed up on my iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwaycee View Post

I don't see it on the UK App store as yet...
"In a perfect world humans would co-exist harmoniously like a rainbow. A multitude of colors. Each layer vibrant and clear and alone, but in unison breathtaking."
"In a perfect world humans would co-exist harmoniously like a rainbow. A multitude of colors. Each layer vibrant and clear and alone, but in unison breathtaking."
post #7 of 46
AirPort Utility for iOS?! Sweet!!! Come on 10am PST, can't wait for iOS 5. Sadly it'll just have to go on the iPad initially as I depend on a jailbreak for my iPhone (and I don't want a tethered one).
post #8 of 46
Finally!!! After so many requests on the discussion and Apples site. It is finally here. An Airport utility for iOS. Just makes sense.
post #9 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillermcp View Post

I depend on a jailbreak

This should be good

Why?

post #10 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This should be good…

Why?

SBSettings, Google Voice integration, iFile, biteSMS, Mail Enhancer, MyWi and My3G are just a few reasons.

There's nothing wrong with jailbreaking and it's perfectly legal plus with the likes of My3G and Mail Enhancer, it gives me functionality that I find I can't do without.
post #11 of 46
Oh great, now parents can track their kid's location by GPS... kids are going to LOVE that lol.
post #12 of 46
all nice but where is iOS 5? Give us that first and then some new apps!
post #13 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

Oh great, now parents can track their kid's location by GPS... kids are going to LOVE that lol.

Meh, put it like this "Oh, you want an iPhone. Sure, but you have to turn on this tracking thing". Most kids would allow it.

And AT&T has had something similar, but cost money, for a while now. A lady at work has it on her kids phones, and they don't know it. I think that is creepy, but they are her kids and not mine.
post #14 of 46
I wonder why Apple is going with this "Leather" look? Contacts, iCal, Find My Friends. It's retro and un-Apple-like. Hope we will be able to change it, at least change the color.
post #15 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadians View Post

I wonder why Apple is going with this "Leather" look? Contacts, iCal, Find My Friends. It's retro and un-Apple-like. Hope we will be able to change it, at least change the color.

Change an Apple interface! That's a good one!

Ha! "Change the color." Classic!

Quote:

Implying they have any say? Yes, parents should respect the ideas and wishes of their children, but it's their prerogative to make sure their kids are safe. A kid that respects his parents would understand that. And a parent that respects his kids would obviously stop when the kid hits legal age, if the kid wants them to.

post #16 of 46
Quote:

Been doing that since find my phone, your kids have their own accounts? They want to use my minutes, my texting, and my data plus my account for buying songs they better believe i will know where they are!

And it helps them too. You think they don't use it to see where you are when they want to be picked up?

Maybe you just need to raise your kids right.
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
post #17 of 46
Quote:

It's fugly... reminds me of Game Center, which I haven't used since the first day it came out.. probably because the theme is so ugly.
post #18 of 46
Thread in Apple Support Communities about

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
How do you turn off the leather look in iCal and Address Book?
post #19 of 46
Anybody here old enough to remember ResEdit?
post #20 of 46
Quote:

How do you turn off the leather look in iCal and Address Book?

Doesn't really help (or have anything to do with) iOS and web-based interfaces, does it?

post #21 of 46
UGHHH..... Faux Leather!
I hope Apple will transition quickly through this unbelievably ugly and corny design concept.
post #22 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

UGHHH..... Faux Leather!
I hope Apple will transition quickly through this unbelievably ugly and corny design concept.

I really like it. And I love the texture on the maps in iCloud. But where the hell is IOS5? It's now Oct 13here and it's still nowhere to be seen.

*To clarify.. I love the different textures etc ONLY on iPhone and iPad, but not such a big fan of it in Lion. Especially iCal, if they insist on texturing it, at least they could have made the leather a more natural colour or a darker brown and change the red/yellow/green buttons to match the theme. The colour just looks ugly. And while i'm having a bitch about iCal it sucks they've delegated the calendar list to a popup.
post #23 of 46
where is ios5????
post #24 of 46
All I really care about at this point is getting iOS5, any other talk is irrelevant right now
post #25 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcbaritone10 View Post

All I really care about at this point is getting iOS5, any other talk is irrelevant right now

Good call, totally agree... clock is ticking... where the phuk is it? If Steve was still around he'd be getting cranky right about now..
post #26 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeRoy View Post

Good call, totally agree... clock is ticking... where the phuk is it? If Steve was still around he'd be getting cranky right about now..

That sort of talk really needs to stop. It's completely and utterly incorrect, by the way. Plenty of software releases happened late in the day on "Steve's watch".

post #27 of 46
Quote:

That sort of talk really needs to stop. It's completely and utterly incorrect, by the way. Plenty of software releases happened late in the day on "Steve's watch".

Settle down I know that, I was saying it as a joke dude.
post #28 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcbaritone10 View Post

trust me its worth the wait, only a few more hours and you'll have brand new phone. At least it will feel like a brand new phone :-)
post #29 of 46
Quote:

BTW you say plenty of software releases happened late in the day. I don't recall any that were, and certainly not the day after as it is here in Aus. Don't get your undies in a knot.
post #30 of 46
Look at the hideous Find My Friends UI. What is Apple thinking? The silly look of iCal really was a bad sign of things to come.

Still... I'm very excited for iOS 5.
post #31 of 46
Where is iOS5? Will it be released after iPhone 4S?

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #32 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeRoy View Post

I realize you're probably a kid, but, saying things like that only make you look foolish. Most of us remember when Apple used to release new versions of OS X at 5 PM. It wasn't that long ago. Come to think of it, when did Apple release iOS 4?
post #33 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleMinded View Post

all nice but where is iOS 5? Give us that first and then some new apps!

Patience. This is actually good. They released iTunes yesterday and the apps this morning. We will most likely see Mac OS 10.7.2 by noon and iOS 5 + iCloud by end of business day Cupertino time. Although I would have released 10.7.2 yesterday along with the iTunes update.
post #34 of 46
All these wonderful articles and post about iOS 5 are out and telling us all to try it and love it. Too bad iTunes still says your software is up to date 4.3.5 \
post #35 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Look at the hideous Find My Friends UI. What is Apple thinking? The silly look of iCal really was a bad sign of things to come.

Still... I'm very excited for iOS 5.

It is just Apple showing off their new customizable appearance API in the new iOS 5

I do like the look though. It looks completely different on the iPhone 4 retina display.
post #36 of 46
Quote:

I realize you're probably a kid, but, saying things like that only make you look foolish. Most of us remember when Apple used to release new versions of OS X at 5 PM. It wasn't that long ago. Come to think of it, when did Apple release iOS 4?

I seem to remember that all the recent iOS updates have come at 10:00 PST, so this wasn't really any surprise to me. Maybe I'm recalling wrong but there have been several times where I was trying to distract myself at work while waiting for 10:00 to come (11:00 for me since I'm Mountain).
post #37 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Patience. This is actually good. They released iTunes yesterday and the apps this morning. We will most likely see Mac OS 10.7.2 by noon and iOS 5 + iCloud by end of business day Cupertino time. Although I would have released 10.7.2 yesterday along with the iTunes update.

It's up!!!!!
post #38 of 46
What I want to know is, does the Find A Friend feature mean that my phone's GPS is going to be turned on all the time, draining the battery, if I want my friends to be able to find me? Or does it have a way of signalling the phone that it wants a GPS update, and just turning it on for a moment?
post #39 of 46
whats the difference between airport and a regular cisco wireless router?
post #40 of 46
Quote:

Well excuse me Mr high and mighty. I am 37 and have been around for all Apple's releases. I was having a joke. Get off your high horse.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases Find My Friends, AirPort Utility for iOS 5