or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iOS 5 for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch & Apple TV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple releases iOS 5 for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch & Apple TV - Page 4

post #121 of 256
Cant download, after some Mbytes went through it crashes and then I have to start all over.
But wasnt it CLEAR that the servers would be overloaded, Apple DID know it, WHY didnt they try to balance it, like to download updates on the background or create a downloading utility, etc. Why? Apple seems more and more like ex-IBM laptops after it sold the whole business to Lenovo.
post #122 of 256
Updating for me has been nothing short of a disaster.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #123 of 256
I also got the internal error a couple of times and am still trying. I read elsewhere that it is because Apples servers are swamped with requests and can only handle half of them. The site also says, keep on trying, it can be tedious, but eventually you'll get trough.
Maybe waiting a couple of days will help, too. Any volunteers?
post #124 of 256
Trying to upgrade a new iPod Touch before moving onto my iPhones. Nothing I do seems to work. There was no issue with the download. Any ideas?

I have the software downloaded. Hit upgrade, completes backup, extracts software, then get a cannot restore iPod due to an internal error.

I'm lost! Have never had an issue upgrading an Apple product until now.
post #125 of 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillermcp View Post

So by going off your very confusing post, yes you must do a full backup (recommended anyway) before doing the update. Even if you chose update, it will do a full restore regardless causing you to restore from backup and reload your Apps. If you did a backup in iTunes, this is not a problem. If you are using a computer other than the one you normally sync apps with, yes it will erase the Apps on the phone first. THis can be mitigated by transferring your purchases to the machine first if you've authorized it to your iTunes account.

thanks. the secret was RIGHT CLICKING on the phone, then chose transfer purchases! What abaout calling it "transfer apps"? i mean it transfers all apps right? also the free ones...

What were they thinking??
This has to be the single most user un-friendly function Apple has ever implemented. Why would they hide such an essential function here?? Why not a big fat button in the Summary view? The syncing between iphone/ipad/several computers really needs to be fixed asap. As it is now it is more than confusing.

Noone wants to loose data, and all the options you have including loosing data!
post #126 of 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAB77 View Post

Trying to upgrade a new iPod Touch before moving onto my iPhones. Nothing I do seems to work. There was no issue with the download. Any ideas?

I have the software downloaded. Hit upgrade, completes backup, extracts software, then get a cannot restore iPod due to an internal error.

I'm lost! Have never had an issue upgrading an Apple product until now.

I just got off the phone with Apple rep. He said they are having a problem with "a server" that is causing the "internal error" code and inability to upgrade to iOS 5. He said to try again every few hours and if the problem is not resolved by tomorrow to call them back with my case number.
He said "this is the only issue we've been dealing with for the past few hours". Apparently lots of calls. I didn't even have to explain to him my problem. He asked me, "Are you getting the internal error message when you try to update?" before I had a chance to describe the problem. So Apple is well aware of the problem.
John
post #127 of 256
John -- Thanks for your response it is greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaugh View Post

I just got off the phone with Apple rep. He said they are having a problem with "a server" that is causing the "internal error" code and inability to upgrade to iOS 5. He said to try again every few hours and if the problem is not resolved by tomorrow to call them back with my case number.
He said "this is the only issue we've been dealing with for the past few hours". Apparently lots of calls. I didn't even have to explain to him my problem. He asked me, "Are you getting the internal error message when you try to update?" before I had a chance to describe the problem. So Apple is well aware of the problem.
John
post #128 of 256
I had minimal issues installing iOS 5 on my iPhone 4 (16GB AT&T). Upon first trying to install iOS 5 I did get an error message, but on the second try it worked fine. Downloading iOS 5 at 2pm EST finished in less than 30 minutes and all told it took about 1 hour and 45 minutes from starting the download to fully updated and restored phone. Copying back 16GB of music and apps was took the most of that time actually.

The only app I see an issue with was Calendar, which failed to launch once, then launched slowly after that, then froze, then relaunched and I saw every event already on the calendar now appears twice.

Other than that, everything seems to be running pretty snappily, so no iPhone 3G to iOS 4 horror slowdown.

I really like the quick view notifications (by sliding down from the top menu bar).

I REALLY like that you can slide the keyboard out of the way once you start typing a text so you can see what the person wrote in the previous text. Before the keyboard took up the whole screen. The "send" button is now green too.
15" Core i7 2.66GHZ MacBook Pro (non-glare), 500GB 7200rpm, 16GB iPhone 4, 80gb 5.5G iPod, Airport Express, 24" Dell 2407WFP-HC
Reply
15" Core i7 2.66GHZ MacBook Pro (non-glare), 500GB 7200rpm, 16GB iPhone 4, 80gb 5.5G iPod, Airport Express, 24" Dell 2407WFP-HC
Reply
post #129 of 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaugh View Post

I just got off the phone with Apple rep. He said they are having a problem with "a server" that is causing the "internal error" code and inability to upgrade to iOS 5. He said to try again every few hours and if the problem is not resolved by tomorrow to call them back with my case number.
He said "this is the only issue we've been dealing with for the past few hours". Apparently lots of calls. I didn't even have to explain to him my problem. He asked me, "Are you getting the internal error message when you try to update?" before I had a chance to describe the problem. So Apple is well aware of the problem.
John

If you have the time, you will be able to get through it if you are patient enough to ignore the messages and simply try again. I didn't have to restart the computer or anything, just hit update, let it back up (annoyingly long) and then hope that it works this time.

Like I said earlier, I got my iPad updated after 7 tries. You only have to d/l once, so that's good, I guess.
post #130 of 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz001 View Post

thanks. the secret was RIGHT CLICKING on the phone, then chose transfer purchases! What abaout calling it "transfer apps"? i mean it transfers all apps right? also the free ones...

What were they thinking??
This has to be the single most user un-friendly function Apple has ever implemented. Why would they hide such an essential function here?? Why not a big fat button in the Summary view? The syncing between iphone/ipad/several computers really needs to be fixed asap. As it is now it is more than confusing.

Noone wants to loose data, and all the options you have including loosing data!

Also it says it will delete your texts! But there is no way in itunes to back up texts?!! This is ridiculous!

Well even though the Apps are free, you do technically "purchase" them. Once you've sync'd to the new computer, it'll automatically transfer new purchases after that. Of course once you upgrade to iOS5 and backup to iCloud, none of that will matter anymore.
post #131 of 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Airplane mode. Interesting, I'll try it.

Edit: Nope. Error 3200 persists. I give up for a day or two until some real solutions are documented.

Weird. Worked like a charm here. I cannot take credit for it, though. Got it from a UK forum where some users also had luck after turning on flight mode. It seems that it is the communication with the Apple servers that causes the bottleneck, so flight mode should force the iPhone to do an "offline update" from the downloaded iOS 5 file.
post #132 of 256
My 10.7.2 update went smoothly: 40 mins to download, and a few mins more after restart.

Given all the issues people are bringing up here, I am going to hold off on iOS 5 until this weekend.

It is truly frustrating to see so many having a terrible experience: Apple just does not seem to be getting these things right from the get-go, these days.

C'mon, Mr. Cook. You are really making it look like you're not off to a good start here: Commit the needed damn resources, and figure out a better way to stagger things.
post #133 of 256
Hmm... installation done and everything, but it seems that my GameCenter account got corrupted.

I.e. when I open the GameCenter app it asks me to enter a new nickname but then brings up an error that this nickname (which is my nickname) would be in use already...
--
My girlfriend thinks I'm curious - that's what I read in her diary
(Unknown)
Reply
--
My girlfriend thinks I'm curious - that's what I read in her diary
(Unknown)
Reply
post #134 of 256
Nobody having the 'iTunes could not restore the iPhone "..." because it is locked with a passcode.' error?

Can't turn of the passcode unfortunately because these are company settings I can't access...
post #135 of 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

My 10.7.2 update went smoothly: 40 mins to download, and a few mins more after restart.

Given all the issues people are bringing up here, I am going to hold off on iOS 5 until this weekend.

It is truly frustrating to see so many having a terrible experience: Apple just does not seem to be getting these things right from the get-go, these days.

C'mon, Mr. Cook. You are really making it look like you're not off to a good start here: Commit the needed damn resources, and figure out a better way to stagger things.

It seems like the same thing every time for as long as I can remember, the difference seems to be that there are more Apple customers and therefore more Apple customers complaining. People I personally know haven't had any issues with Apple's HW, OS or apps working properly with these updates and they aren't going to join a forum just to say how well it all worked out for them. These sort of complaints could very well will continue to grow even if Apple reduces the percentage of people that having complaints. That's a problem with rapid growth and domineering mindshare and it's a problem every business wishes they had.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #136 of 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvee View Post

Nobody having the 'iTunes could not restore the iPhone "..." because it is locked with a passcode.' error?

This is a security measure. Unlock your device then do the restore.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #137 of 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

you might also want to un-register your device at the iOS portal.

Why would he want to do that?
post #138 of 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This is a security measure. Unlock your device then do the restore.

Unfortunately it happens halfway the restore, when the iPhone is turning itself off and on again...
post #139 of 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Updating for me has been nothing short of a disaster.

Drama Queen?
post #140 of 256
Hope this helps: if you have downloaded the update and have gotten the unable to restore message then there is nothing YOU can do other than to keep trying. The issue is with Apple.

After trying dozens of times I simply gave up and started to download the Lion updates. About half way through a really slow download of 10.7.2 I noticed that suddenly things picked up - like someone flipped a switch at Apple.

After my Mac's OS was updated I tried again to update my iPad. I did "option" restore and then pointed iTunes to the .ipsw file (which I had moved to the desktop). Voila, it worked.

But I don't think I did anything special, I simply think that Apple's servers were working better.

Don't press update over and over again, all you'll do is continue to do that slow back-up - no need to do that if you've completed one good back-up. (You should do back-up BEFORE starting this process, just to be sure.)

Good luck, and have patience.
post #141 of 256
Lost all my apps and can't restore them as they were on the iPad.

EDIT - Take that back, about Pages specifically..everything is still saved..PHEW!
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
post #142 of 256
Hey guys,


I got those damn errors for > 6 times.
I thought maybe they changed a DNS entry to route traffic to another server. So I cleared the dns cache of my router and my computer and the next try the update worked just fine.

Maybe that was luck, but maybe this might help you...!
post #143 of 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAB77 View Post

Trying to upgrade a new iPod Touch before moving onto my iPhones. Nothing I do seems to work. There was no issue with the download. Any ideas?

I have the software downloaded. Hit upgrade, completes backup, extracts software, then get a cannot restore iPod due to an internal error.

I'm lost! Have never had an issue upgrading an Apple product until now.

1. Do it in DFU mode
2. Use a different usb cable
post #144 of 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

Lost all my apps and can't restore them as they were on the iPad. Which means I lost all my 30-some documents in Pages..yippee!

So, you're saying that you didn't backup before upgrading? Because if you did backup it would restore all of your apps information and settings.
post #145 of 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Drama Queen?

Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #146 of 256
I have all the apps organized in different folders on my 4g touch. I know that after installing iOS 5 all these folders will be gone and the apps will again be sorted by default order.

Is there any way to counter this? Because I have more than 200 apps and it's a real pain to again sort them in order.
post #147 of 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Going to take 5 hours to get AppleTV update, though that could be an issue with this LAN.



Is mirroring only down via the 30-pin connector or can you mirror with AirPlay, too?

Wireless from iPad 2 to Apple TV. Everything you get on the iPad screen shows up on the TV screen... exact mirroring.

I tried several apps including Keynote, Pages, Mail and a game. They all appear fine on my 42" plasma in boxed format (not wide screen).

Awesome.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #148 of 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari5 View Post

I have all the apps organized in different folders on my 4g touch. I know that after installing iOS 5 all these folders will be gone and the apps will again be sorted by default order.

Is there any way to counter this? Because I have more than 200 apps and it's a real pain to again sort them in order.

Step 1: Back up your iOS 4.x device.

Step 2: Install iOS 5.0.

Step 3: Use latest backup to restore settings when asked.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #149 of 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAB77 View Post

Trying to upgrade a new iPod Touch before moving onto my iPhones. Nothing I do seems to work. There was no issue with the download. Any ideas?

I have the software downloaded. Hit upgrade, completes backup, extracts software, then get a cannot restore iPod due to an internal error.

I'm lost! Have never had an issue upgrading an Apple product until now.


Me too! Anyone got a fix for this?? Restore and Update are both failing.
post #150 of 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Wireless from iPad 2 to Apple TV. Everything you get on the iPad screen shows up on the TV screen... exact mirroring.

I tried several apps including Keynote, Pages, Mail and a game. They all appear fine on my 42" plasma in boxed format (not wide screen).

Awesome.

Sweet. My only feature wish for that would be an AirDrop like, ad-hoc direct connection so you can bypass any routers. Not so much for a home LAN, but for a classroom or boardroom where anyone with an iPad could easily be given the reigns for a presentation without having to access the school/company's network or require the additional cost or hassle of a gateway device.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #151 of 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

So, you're saying that you didn't backup before upgrading? Because if you did backup it would restore all of your apps information and settings.

Did backup..backed up like 5 times. I still have to reload all my apps. Or I guess sync all my apps back.

Tried the restore from backup a couple of times and each time the apps were gone.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
post #152 of 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillermcp View Post

You could download the IPSW for 5.0 and do a restore. I have the download links if you want them.

NOTE: These links are directly from Apple so no funny business here.

are your links still available...

I have been trying all afternoon to get past the internal error...
post #153 of 256
FSCK!!!

The update started. "Prepared" my iPhone4 for update. Then spent 10 minutes "Verifying" my restore with Apple. Then stopped with an error.

Now my phone is in recovery mode. I can't use the fscking thing, and I can't do an upgrade or an update because iTunes keeps telling me an error occurred.

This sux. I can't even call Apple, because my fscking iPhone just shows a USB cable pointing to an iTunes icon.

What a fuster cluck!
post #154 of 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Sweet. My only feature wish for that would be an AirDrop like, ad-hoc direct connection so you can bypass any routers. Not so much for a home LAN, but for a classroom or boardroom where anyone with an iPad could easily be given the reigns for a presentation without having to access the school/company's network or require the additional cost or hassle of a gateway device.

While playing around with it I was imagining the potential for classrooms; carrying an Apple TV isn't much of a hassle given the freedom to walk around, etc. Double click the home button, swipe to the same page where volume and other controls are and the Airplay button is right there. A mini menu comes up that allows to turn mirroring on/off. Switch it on and it pops onto the TV pretty snappily.

I wonder what they have planned for Apple TV 3...

Only thing is, many of the TVs I've seen have the HDMI ports in the back, so if anybody has one mounted on a wall, for example, it will be pretty difficult to plug in to.

Just the same, things are moving in a very interesting direction.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #155 of 256
I downloaded the update, but the installation failed, not sure why that happen, will attempt again when I get home from work.
post #156 of 256
After much effort (updating to 10.7.2, redownloading iOS 5 ipsw, complete reinstall of iTunes), I finally managed to get it to continue with the upgrade process. Now it gets to about 75% on the phone screen (though iTunes says 100% for "Restoring iPhone software"), and then it fails. Again and again.

Now I'm stuck in DFU mode. I've tried it on different USB ports, different cables, and even different computers. Done RecBoot and other tricks to get it out of DFU mode, and it just endlessly cycles between the Apple logo and the spinning "loading" screen.

I'm going to try to update two more times, and if it doesn't work, I'll put it in that endless loop of trying to boot up while I go to work. Maybe it just needs to go longer before it finishes starting up. At the very least, it should drain the battery while I'm gone...

If I can't get it working by tomorrow, I'm taking it in to Apple. Probably have to wait ten hours before I can get help (that store is mobbed on the best of days).
post #157 of 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerdes View Post

are your links still available...

I have been trying all afternoon to get past the internal error...

PM sent.
post #158 of 256
Probably just a coincidence, but I failed for times in a row (Error 3014) - I was using Google and OpenDNS for my domain resolution - I switched my local router, which uses my ISP (Optimum Online), and it worked immediately for my iPhone.
post #159 of 256
Hi, Has anyone Tested Gevey Card in IOS 5 ??? THX
post #160 of 256
Thanks to all replied to my thread! My i4 just finished downloading and ALL is well in Apple land! Thanks again everyone, you're suggestions were most helpful!

Cheers,
Mike
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iOS 5 for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch & Apple TV