or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Error 3200: Massive iOS 5 demand hinders Apple’s servers

Error 3200: Massive iOS 5 demand hinders Apple’s servers

post #1 of 124
Apple's servers were bogged down on Wednesday from an overwhelming number of iOS users trying to update their devices to the newest version of the software, prompting some to receive an “Error 3200” message.

The error code appears during iOS 5 installation when a request for authorization from an updating device fails to be fulfilled by Apple's servers. The company said the issue stemmed from the massive amount of simultaneous attempts from users trying to download the new software.

For some, attempts to update have left them without access to the iPhone. For instance, one AppleInsider reader reported that his iPhone became useless, or bricked, after receiving the error message because the handset couldn't get through to Apple's authentication servers to reactivate the phone. The reader went on to say that Apple's Fifth Ave. store was flooded with customers bringing in bricked devices, asking staff for help.

Apple's servers are said to be only accepting about half the requests, and even if access is granted, users have reported that the download takes about 15 minutes. It has also been noted that, following a successful download, the backup process is taking much longer than usual to complete, with some seeing 3 hour wait times.

Other problems have been reported from users trying to upgrade to iOS 5, including the inability to access iCloud.

Some iPhone updaters have seen a "3004" error message as well, followed by the bricking of their device. The message refers to iTunes not being able to connect with Apple's update server, which is in line with what company representatives believe caused the "3200" error message.

A discussion thread started on Apple’s Support Communities forum details the various issues users are having with the iOS 5 rollout.

Service representatives said that Apple is currently working on the authentication issue, claiming that the problem would be resolved in a few hours, reports website Mashable.

Apple released iOS 5 early Wednesday, which is compatible with the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2, and third- and fourth-generation iPod touches. In order to perform the upgrade, users must have the new iTunes 10.5 installed on their Mac or Windows PC.
post #2 of 124
This is the mother of all upgrades - iOS, MacOS, AppleTV ... Apple could have planned better, particularly given past history.
post #3 of 124
I updated all of my iDevices (iPhone, iPad, AppleTV, Mac) without a problem. Did that 2 hours ago. I must be lucky or something.

iMac mid 2011 • 27 in • 3,4 GHz Core i7 • 32 GB RAM • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB VRAM

iMac mid 2011 • 27 in • 3,4 GHz Core i7 • 32 GB RAM • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB VRAM

post #4 of 124
It took 5 hours to update my phone, I feel everyone's pain.
post #5 of 124
That explains it!!

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #6 of 124
Just want to say thanks to all you beta testers for taking the time to install on day 0 of the release. I really appreciate your ironing out all the bugs for me when I install in a week!
post #7 of 124
I thought with iTunes Apple is Used to serving a lot of data! What was that new data center for 1 billion $ for???
post #8 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's servers were bogged down on Wednesday from an overwhelming number of iOS users trying to update their devices to the newest version of the software, prompting some to receive an Error 3200 message.[ View this article at AppleInsider.com ][/c]

My personal pain hasn't been with iOS devices (though I've only updated my AppleTV - took around 20 minutes). I updated my oldest iMac to 10.7.2 in about 20 minutes (download total, including iTunes, was a little over 900MB?), but the biggest problem has been with my new iMac - I started the download (little over 800Mb - again...MEG?) and it's taken over 5 hours so far! I've stopped it, restarted it, reset my router, everything I could think of to kick this thing off again and update like the old iMac did, and it's just CRAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWLLLLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNN NNNNG.

And I can't update my other iOS devices 'til this one is done! ARGH!!!!!
dano
if it is to be, it is up to me...
dano
if it is to be, it is up to me...
post #9 of 124
If you are getting these errors, just keep trying. It will eventually get through it. There are two places that can hang up due to excessive server load. Prior to starting the update, and after the update is done updating and the phone reboots. If you get to the point where your phone throws an error and the screen is blank, just unplug it and replug it back in and it should report that it's in DFU mode.

For those on the beta wanting to update to the production release, just download the IPSW, and hold down the option key when hitting the Restore button. It should then allow you to choose the downloaded IPSW file to install. Of course you'll have the same hard time getting into all of the Apple servers like everyone else.

Keep trying and eventually it will finish.
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / iMac 27" 2.8 Quad i7 / 17" Macbook Pro Unibody / Mac Mini HTPC / iPhone 6 Plus 64GB /iPad with Retina Display 64 GB
post #10 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberpongo View Post

I thought with iTunes Apple is Used to serving a lot of data! What was that new data center for 1 billion $ for???

For the load during normal days !

No one on earth today can build a system for that kind of use in extraordinary launch day.

Neither apple, neither IBM and no telecom can dimension their network for that.

So, just wait. Technology is wonderful but not magical. Internet and modern computers have some serious limits.
post #11 of 124
We're gonna need a bigger server!

(from movie "Jaws", 'We're gonna need a bigger boat!')

Just hope this is not like the 'Bambino Curse', and we have the Cloud curse from "the ones who brought us MobileMe"!

Can we get a little Divine help down here Steve?...
/
/
/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #12 of 124
Although I'm disappointed to hear about apparent widespread problems, it's worth pointing out that the over the air delta update support in iOS 5 lays the groundwork for avoiding this kind of trouble in the future. Not only will subsequent downloads be smaller, but they'll most likely be staged over a period of a day or two. This could very well be the last time every single iOS user is turned loose at the exact same moment to pound the living hell out of Apple's servers.
post #13 of 124
Not good Apple. You can't act like a boutique company when you have a 100M devices capable of getting iOS 5.0 potentially trying to update. Nothing wrong with a staggered release.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #14 of 124
Internet servers exist to go down.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #15 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not good Apple. You can't act like a boutique company when you have a 100M devices capable of getting iOS 5.0 potentially trying to update. Nothing wrong with a staggered release.

Yep! I have no idea why Apple didn't release 7.2 yesterday, and deal with the MobileMe transition at that time.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
post #16 of 124
People could always wait a day or two for any problems to clear and have a, hopefully, incident free install. But of course everyone wants everything yesterday.
post #17 of 124
People having problems with Software Updates should just go download the files on support.apple.com/downloads

post #18 of 124
Personally love how this message showed halfway through the install on my iPod causing it to enter recovery mode and require a full reinstall...a few hours later I figured it was safe to try on my iPad...dead wrong.

Long story short, bad experience but good OS. I was gonna post so much hate about it on my iPod because it was so leggy but a simple restart fixed that. Shame that I lost all my progress (100%) in real racing 2 on my iPad though...
post #19 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Grain of Salt View Post

People could always wait a day or two for any problems to clear and have a, hopefully, incident free install. But of course everyone wants everything yesterday.

I suspect getting it done before the weekend might be the smarter move. All those new iPhones will be going online all at once. Good luck.
post #20 of 124
I had my iPhone 4 bricked. I unplugged the sync cable and then plugged my iPhone back in and iTunes detected my phone in its state. I then ran the restore process and had to do this 5 times until Apple server was available and my iPhone 4 was successfully updated. I had an error 3200 on my iPad as well and it took about 6 tries to get it updated as well. Wow. What a process.
An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #21 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

For those on the beta wanting to update to the production release, just download the IPSW, and hold down the option key when hitting the Restore button. It should then allow you to choose the downloaded IPSW file to install. Of course you'll have the same hard time getting into all of the Apple servers like everyone else.

Keep trying and eventually it will finish.

I should point out that the GM that is freely available online appears to be the same as the production version. At least, enough to DL it now if you really want iOS 5 and then get the production version in a few days when things calm down. I'm running the GM seed just fine since last Wednesday
post #22 of 124
As long as apple insist on upgrading their entire lineup on the same day
We will have these errors with every major release of a new iOS
Just wait till Friday, when you add all the new iPhone 4s start activating on top of this increased load
post #23 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by oomu View Post

For the load during normal days !

No one on earth today can build a system for that kind of use in extraordinary launch day.

Neither apple, neither IBM and no telecom can dimension their network for that.

So, just wait. Technology is wonderful but not magical. Internet and modern computers have some serious limits.

You are right. However, they should have foreseen this and planned the rollout better. What about a ticket system, like at the deli. You login with your apple id or initiate a sign up and then you get a number or a date and time. You will be allowed to download at your scheduled time. That way there is not this massive overload.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

post #24 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

People having problems with Software Updates should just go download the files on support.apple.com/downloads

People don't want to wipe their device with restore. iOS5 image links aren't posted there anyway.

Apple's learning curve is flatter than most corporations. Gets better with each release. I applaud them for not letting this all land on 10/14/2011 at 1200 hours PDT.

edit: future updates are faster with incremental. Worked pretty well in dev beta and cut the update size down by tons. Also got iTunes out as the middle.
post #25 of 124
Yea I was having this issue plus super slow download speeds. I think the demand was massive since I doubt apple would understaff it's servers so to speak after mobile me fiasco. I think they should have rolled this out at midnight or early in the morning to allow people to start the download as they left for work instead of getting everyone on at the same time.

Thankfully I did not have any bricking issues with the phone, and iPad was actually the smoothest update in term of being error free (is iPad 1 so maybe there was less demands on it).
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #26 of 124
Why rush, give it a couple days. Apples servers are way overloaded with all the new Mac, ITUNES and Safari updated.
post #27 of 124
I wonder if the folks who claim their devices were "bricked" tried putting the iPhone in DFU mode or Recovery mode?! My guess is one of those two would have brought them back to life to restore in iTunes...
post #28 of 124
Seems to be moving right along now, but as soon as I try to run Mac OS software update concurrently with the IOS download, everything screeches to a halt. If I stop the MacOS downloads, IOS takes off again.
post #29 of 124
My iP4 has been "bricked" now for about 5 hours, my MacBook will not recognize it so I can't really do anything to it, it is just shuffling from the pinwheel to the apple logo on the screen. Any ideas?
post #30 of 124
IPad 2. Tried to install 5 immediately after it went up. Long download, followed by "unknown error." On my second call to Apple, was told "Servers are currently doing five million downloads per hour. My best advice is to wait a few hours." In the meantime, however, I'd gotten to the "Restore" point in the process which did brick the iPad. But I was able to do the download and restore a few hours later, thereby unbricking the iPad, on which I'm currently typing this message.
First impressions: Some immediately useful improvements, in Safari, for example. And both theiPad itself and downloads to it, seem very much faster.
So... Worth the hassle for me.
post #31 of 124
I got a bricked iPhone to. Then my iPhone had to be restored. Ug!!
After three to four attempts I finally got updated.
post #32 of 124
Relax folks.

I downloaded iOS 5 within ten minutes of it being up and it's now 7:20pm PST and it's just now finishing after receiving the 3200 error half a dozen or so times.

I did work for about 6 hours before the latest attempt and it's now installed and restoring all local content to the iPad.

Besides 5 simple sync issues regarding iCal and Address Book all is well.

The petabytes of data delivered today should be published by Apple, just so people can grasp how much data was served and continues to be served during this roll out.
post #33 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I had my iPhone 4 bricked. I unplugged the sync cable and then plugged my iPhone back in and iTunes detected my phone in its state. I then ran the restore process and had to do this 5 times until Apple server was available and my iPhone 4 was successfully updated. I had an error 3200 on my iPad as well and it took about 6 tries to get it updated as well. Wow. What a process.

Ditto, but only one restore for my iphone. Both my ipad and iphone got the error (relieved to have read about it here). In all, I spent about an hour and a half getting ios5, imac software update, and itunes update....still working on the ipad (it's been stuck at "fifteen minutes remaining" for ten minutes). Strangely, I think I'll feel nostalgic for these times of (slightly) delayed gratification if in the future we don't have such excitement over Apple products.
post #34 of 124
This happens EVERY time apple puts out a new iOS version. My wifes phone has crashed EVER time.

16xx error everytime and every time genius bar geek says, I have never seen this before but knows me by name,

post #35 of 124
Should have been Lion then iTunes then iOS 5, as it was backwards fails occurred until the final piece, Lion, was dropped and installed
I suggest they also release S/W according to time zones and not open the whole world at once.
jgb
jgb
post #36 of 124
You guys are weird.

You could do what I did when I looked at updating our iPad to 5 today.

I didn't.

Read about all these overload problems and decided to give it a day before having a go. It really isn't life or death to upgrade today.
post #37 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

I wonder if the folks who claim their devices were "bricked" tried putting the iPhone in DFU mode or Recovery mode?! My guess is one of those two would have brought them back to life to restore in iTunes...

No need really. Turn the phone off and back on. Click restore if asked. Then the process continues.
post #38 of 124
This could be a bad harbinger for iCloud.

At the same time, was the situation exacerbated by early birds upgrading and then immediately syncing all sorts of files onto iCloud?
post #39 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman0 View Post

You guys are weird.

You could do what I did when I looked at updating our iPad to 5 today.

I didn't.

Read about all these overload problems and decided to give it a day before having a go. It really isn't life or death to upgrade today.

You're so smart. My hero.
post #40 of 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmshawaii View Post

This happens EVERY time apple puts out a new iOS version. My wifes phone has crashed EVER time.

16xx error everytime and every time genius bar geek says, I have never seen this before but knows me by name,

There is no way it was this bad in previous cases.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Error 3200: Massive iOS 5 demand hinders Apple’s servers