or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Siri functionality limited outside US, but Apple promises updates in 2012
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Siri functionality limited outside US, but Apple promises updates in 2012

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 
Though the iPhone 4S launched in a total of seven countries on Friday, only users in the U.S. have access to Siri's Maps and businesses integration, while international users will gain more functionality in 2012.

A roundup of some of the tasks Siri cannot accomplish outside of the U.S. was collected on Friday by MacStories. For example, Maps integration with Siri does not work outside of America, meaning users cannot search for businesses, Yelp user reviews or traffic data.

When users attempt to search for Maps data in the U.K., Siri responds with: "I can only look for businesses, maps and traffic in the United States, and when you're using U.S. English. Sorry about that."

Apple's list of frequently asked questions related to Siri notes that Maps and local search with Yelp are currently only available in the U.S. Remaining features, including Phone, Music, Calendar, Contacts, Weather, and Web search are available to international users, though Wolfram|Alpha integration is available in English only.

Siri remains in "beta" at launch, and it understands English from the U.S., U.K. and Australia, as well as French and German. Apple has promised that Siri will support additional languages in 2012, including Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Italian and Spanish.



For more on the Siri voice recognition technology that is exclusively available in Apple's new iPhone 4S, see AppleInsider's in-depth look at the features and functionality available with Siri.
post #2 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Siri remains in "beta" at launch, and it understands English from the U.S., U.K. and Australia

So don't be a hoser and talk Canadian, eh? -- cause then we might have to jam your mouth full of buttertarts or hockey pucks to shut you up, eh?

[insert alternate joke about Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Indian, Ozarks, South African, Minnesotan, Kiwi, Newfie, etc. accents here]
post #3 of 39
I hope Apple brings Siri to the iPhone 4 at some point.
post #4 of 39
I just want to make sure I got this right -- Apple bought SIRI that worked on a 3gs, made it break if you are outside of the US, and then artificially limited it to the 4s? seems quite silly to me -- am I incorrect?
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #5 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHead75 View Post

I hope Apple brings Siri to the iPhone 4 at some point.

They won't.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #6 of 39
I hope we'll able to create spreadsheets with Siri.
post #7 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestival View Post

So don't be a hoser and talk Canadian, eh? -- cause then we might have to jam your mouth full of buttertarts or hockey pucks to shut you up, eh?

[insert alternate joke about Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Indian, Ozarks, South African, Minnesotan, Kiwi, Newfie, etc. accents here]

Take off!
post #8 of 39
Works amazingly well in Australia. I'm very impressed with how well Apple have managed the software. I think Siri has a slightly different accent in Australia to the voice demonstrated in the US version. Most of this message was constructed in dictation by Siri, with a few minor edits.

Still, I asked her to tell me a joke and she replied: "two iPhone's walked into a bar". Indeed.
post #9 of 39
begining, or end of?!
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
post #10 of 39
Sigh.

Although I likely would have made the same buying decision, Apple should have been more forthcoming with information like this and not wait until folks had the device in their grubby little hands.

Yes, I know they said it was "beta", but there was virtually no information about what this meant. Obviously, they knew this aspect of it then and didn't say.
post #11 of 39
imagine how strong apple's future live translator app will be after a couple years of learning accents and languages from people talking to Siri in everyday language and vernacular
post #12 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

begining, or end of?!

Prediction of transcript from a WWDC meeting next summer "Sorry international folks, the new iPhone 5 with iOS6 finally gets Siri right outside of USA."

LOL
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #13 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post



Siri remains in "beta" at launch,


IMO, Apple shouldn't be playing that particular game.
post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Prediction of transcript from a WWDC meeting next summer "Sorry international folks, the new iPhone 5 with iOS6 finally gets Siri right outside of USA."

LOL

not funny
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
post #15 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwfrederick View Post

imagine how strong apple's future live translator app will be after a couple years of learning accents and languages from people talking to Siri in everyday language and vernacular

Ha! Pretty soon it will only understand l33t sp34k!
post #16 of 39
Worse yet, I liked the sound of the Aussie accent so I chose that voice. If you use anything other than American English (even in the U.S.) you cannot use Siri for mappping. Absolutely stupid stupid stupid. How hard is it to choose a voice you like and just let the software work based on GPS location or by choosing a country manually? Sometimes I just don't understand Apple.

On a lighter note, my mind went into the gutter and on a whim I told Siri I wanted a BJ...and she gave me the location of eight different escort services in Dallas, TX. I went so far as to tell her (blatantly) I wanted to find a hooker and that request also brought up the same escort services. I laughed so hard I almost drove off the road. I can see it now..."news at 7...Man dies in car accident...last request in his phone was to find a hooker".
post #17 of 39
Don't want to sound like an Apple apologist, but this isn't the first time Apple brought something out that was initially limited to the US market, and it probably won't be the last. The challenge is finding partner services for offering the missing features in other countries.
post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Still, I asked her to tell me a joke and she replied: "two iPhone's walked into a bar". Indeed.

Does it do the Hal 9000 voice if you ask it to "open the pod bay doors"?

... at night.

Reply

... at night.

Reply
post #19 of 39
post #20 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHead75 View Post

I hope Apple brings Siri to the iPhone 4 at some point.

Me too. Why isn't the iPhone 4 supported, anyway? Obviously it's not a "special feature" tied to the new models since not every country is supported. It can't be a hardware issue, could it?
post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by eehd View Post

Me too. Why isn't the iPhone 4 supported, anyway? Obviously it's not a "special feature" tied to the new models since not every country is supported. It can't be a hardware issue, could it?

The reasoning I heard was that the iPhone 4S has a better microphone and a faster processor. The simpler answer is probably that they want to give you a reason to upgrade, Apple unfortunately is still in the business of selling new hardware.
post #22 of 39
I've seen this question posed elsewhere, but not really a definitive answer.

What, if anything, can you do with Siri without internet access? In other words, put your device in airplane mode and can you do anything?

Obviously, many features require internet, but I'm wondering about things like reminders, alarms, stuff that's 100% local to your device. Anyone have a device in-hand that they can actually use to try this directly? I've only found speculation so far. With no internet, can you even launch Siri?
No Matte == No Sale :-(
Reply
No Matte == No Sale :-(
Reply
post #23 of 39
Apple also said that Facetime will work over cellular data in 2011. I wouldn't count on things like that. Apple is hold up by network limitations and network providers.
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
post #24 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

I just want to make sure I got this right -- Apple bought SIRI that worked on a 3gs, made it break if you are outside of the US, and then artificially limited it to the 4s? seems quite silly to me -- am I incorrect?

Siri (the app) is not the same as Siri, anymore than pre-Google Android is the same as whatever food related product name it's currently released as.

Siri (the app) was very limited compared to its modern incarnation.
post #25 of 39
I wonder why it doesn't work in other countries? Obviously Google Maps is nearly everywhere. Perhaps it needs a database of place name pronunciations.
post #26 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I wonder why it doesn't work in other countries? Obviously Google Maps is nearly everywhere. Perhaps it needs a database of place name pronunciations.

That sounds reasonable.

Here in Canada, for instance, they'd have to add "eh" onto the end of every location. Like, "I'm gonna Winnipeg, eh?"
post #27 of 39
Perhaps - but this would be short-sighted given the basket case state of your economy and political process. More functional countries than yours with much more robust economic futures dictate that they focus outside of an american-centric view of the world.





Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

Don't want to sound like an Apple apologist, but this isn't the first time Apple brought something out that was initially limited to the US market, and it probably won't be the last. The challenge is finding partner services for offering the missing features in other countries.
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

More Siri quotes here: http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/...r=yahoofinance

If you're interested, try typing some of the same questions into Wolfram Alpha.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/

Not sure if I had said this elsewhere although I have certainly thought it, that Apple should seek ties with Wolfram. Steven Wolfram is working hard on the semantic web and I'll bet, making great progress.

All the best.
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRS View Post

That sounds reasonable.

Here in Canada, for instance, they'd have to add "eh" onto the end of every location. Like, "I'm gonna Winnipeg, eh?"



Good one eh!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #30 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRS View Post

That sounds reasonable.

Here in Canada, for instance, they'd have to add "eh" onto the end of every location. Like, "I'm gonna Winnipeg, eh?"

Agreed.

post #31 of 39
IMHO, there's no excuse Siri didn't come to Mac first -- clearly the Mac has the CPU power for it...
post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

I've seen this question posed elsewhere, but not really a definitive answer.

What, if anything, can you do with Siri without internet access? In other words, put your device in airplane mode and can you do anything?

Obviously, many features require internet, but I'm wondering about things like reminders, alarms, stuff that's 100% local to your device. Anyone have a device in-hand that they can actually use to try this directly? I've only found speculation so far. With no internet, can you even launch Siri?

Well, no answers here, but eventually someone wrote an answer to a similar question on Quora.

The answer is that NOTHING works in Siri without internet.

Siri without internet access

That's really unfortunate, but it is a first release. Let's hope things continue to improve.
No Matte == No Sale :-(
Reply
No Matte == No Sale :-(
Reply
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

The reasoning I heard was that the iPhone 4S has a better microphone and a faster processor. The simpler answer is probably that they want to give you a reason to upgrade, Apple unfortunately is still in the business of selling new hardware.

The original Siri software worked fine on a 3GS. This is an artificial limitation to get people to buy an iPhone 4S, nothing more.
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

The original Siri software worked fine on a 3GS. This is an artificial limitation to get people to buy an iPhone 4S, nothing more.

This is a product differentiation strategy that Apple haunted for the last 10 years. New advances go on new products. Seldom do older products get upgrades unlocking new features.
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHead75 View Post

I hope Apple brings Siri to the iPhone 4 at some point.

Why would they? That's one of the only things they have to sell the iphone 4S.

It's already most of the way done as far as porting it to the 4.

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply
post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

Don't want to sound like an Apple apologist, but this isn't the first time Apple brought something out that was initially limited to the US market, and it probably won't be the last. The challenge is finding partner services for offering the missing features in other countries.

Growing pains are painful, even for the biggest gosh darn corporate behemoth in the world.

Maybe Apple should get some senior guy from McDonalds to handle the International Rollout stuff? Its not easy.
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

IMHO, there's no excuse Siri didn't come to Mac first -- clearly the Mac has the CPU power for it...

I know, the lack of good voice control is the only reason I haven't been able to use my iMac while driving.
post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They won't.

I guess you had a séance and spoke with Jobs where he told you this?

You nor I don't have a clue if they will or won't (e.g. when the beta is done or the hacksters get it working and cause Apple to support it).

Declarative statements like that just show foolish ignorance.
post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by aknabi View Post

I guess you had a séance and spoke with Jobs where he told you this?

You nor I don't have a clue if they will or won't (e.g. when the beta is done or the hacksters get it working and cause Apple to support it).

Declarative statements like that just show foolish ignorance.

Yeah, yeah, blah blah; that's my schtick, man. Don't take it from me.

You're obviously right; Siri will come to the iPhone 4. Just like MMS came to the first iPhone and video recording came to the first iPhone and iPhone 3G.

OH, WAIT.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Siri functionality limited outside US, but Apple promises updates in 2012
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Siri functionality limited outside US, but Apple promises updates in 2012