or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs memorial to be held this Sunday att Stanford University

Steve Jobs memorial to be held this Sunday att Stanford University

post #1 of 89
California Gov. Jerry Brown announced Friday that Sunday, Oct. 16 will be "Steve Jobs Day" statewide, and will coincide with a private memorial planned for the Apple co-founder at Stanford University.

Brown tweeted the message late Friday after reports that some of Silicon Valley's biggest names had been invited to a memorial dedicated to Jobs next week.

According to the Wall Street Journal, Apple is planning a special service for Jobs at Stanford University this Sunday.

The small gathering of friends and tech industry insiders follows the private funeral held last week, and comes before Apple's local Oct. 19 celebration.

According to the Journal, invitations requested guests respond to Emerson Collective, a philanthropy established by Jobs' widow, Laurene Powell Jobs.

An Apple spokesman said the service on Sunday is a private invitation-only event.

Jobs died on Oct. 5 after a years-long battle with pancreatic cancer.

post #2 of 89
Dear Steve,
You have taught me so much about life.
1. Have a vision and a purpose.
2. Go after that vision and purpose.
3. Dont be afraid of other people when they get in the way of your vision and purpose.
4. Work hard and long, and when that is not enough, work harder.
5. Confront people when appropriate. It makes magic happen.
6. Make sure that the work produced is beautiful.
7. Make sure that the work produced is functional.
8. Dont be afraid to start over.
Your friend,
Sim
MacBook Pro, iMac, iPad 2, iPhone 4S
Please visit my simple and personal blog at www.simbarhoum.com
MacBook Pro, iMac, iPad 2, iPhone 4S
Please visit my simple and personal blog at www.simbarhoum.com
post #3 of 89
Can't disagree with that.

RIP Mr. Jobs
post #4 of 89
I always liked Jerry, and Steve. More than MLK or flag day, earth day arbor day, Columbus day or Halloween it could be a national holiday as far as I'm concerned.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #5 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I always liked Jerry, and Steve. More than MLK or flag day, earth day arbor day, Columbus day or Halloween it could be a national holiday as far as I'm concerned.

Halloween kicks ass around here (SF Bay Area), so I'm not with you there.

Too bad it's a Sunday. I'd love it if parking meters were unenforced on Steve Jobs Day.

post #6 of 89
Maybe it could be a reverse national holiday

Jobs Day:
a day when everybody pays tribute to the model that Steve was and works as hard as they can to produce something lasting. Just one day out of the year, when instead of dreaming about getting out of working to sit on the coach, we carpe diem and unleash our potential to its fullest.

That would be more the type holiday that would honor Mr Steve Jobs.
post #7 of 89
There should be a national holiday 5 october all years.

Steve invented the single most important tool that humanity ever have had.
post #8 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by shompa View Post

I believe that would be language fire or the wheel

post #9 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Halloween kicks ass around here (SF Bay Area), so I'm not with you there.

Too bad it's a Sunday. I'd love it if parking meters were unenforced on Steve Jobs Day.

Good to know but for me it doesn't even rate as high valentines day or boxing day. Don't even get me started on Christmas or Easter.

post #10 of 89
Quote:

well he did create apple
and wasn't it the apple that was involved in discovery of gravity
and gravity was essential in getting sticks to remain weighted down in a pile so that they could burn
and wasn't gravity needed for the wheel to gain speed down a hill enabling people to both escape enemies and enjoy thrills
and both of those led to the need for language to express your joy at being alive

so with out steve there would be no apple, no gravity, no fire, no wheel, no language and most importantly no joy in being alive
post #11 of 89
Quote:

Are you serious right now?
post #12 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by estyle View Post

well he did create apple
and wasn't it the apple that was involved in discovery of gravity
and gravity was essential in getting sticks to remain weighted down in a pile so that they could burn
and wasn't gravity needed for the wheel to gain speed down a hill enabling people to both escape enemies and enjoy thrills
and both of those led to the need for language to express your joy at being alive

so with out steve there would be no apple, no gravity, no fire, no wheel, no language and most importantly no joy in being alive

With a 100 more idiots you could start your own cult. Not that I consider you an idiot just delusional. Like the world needs another false savior because 20 is not enough.

post #13 of 89
Everyone wear blue jeans and black shirt! I still feel sad all day every day since Oct 5th. The loss of Steve Jobs is staggering.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #14 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsonic View Post

Dear Steve,
You have taught me so much about life.
1. Have a vision and a purpose.
2. Go after that vision and purpose.
3. Dont be afraid of other people when they get in the way of your vision and purpose.
4. Work hard and long, and when that is not enough, work harder.
5. Confront people when appropriate. It makes magic happen.
6. Make sure that the work produced is beautiful.
7. Make sure that the work produced is functional.
8. Dont be afraid to start over.
Your friend,
Sim

Nicely put!
For Steve.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #15 of 89
Quote:

How does one invent fire? That'd be like 'inventing' water. I'm pretty sure it existed before people.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #16 of 89
Quote:

With a 100 more idiots you could start your own cult. Not that I consider you an idiot just delusional. Like the world needs another false savior because 20 is not enough.

you do realize I am having just some anachronistic fun
post #17 of 89
Quote:

I'm going to assume you are talking about computers.
Have you heard of Charles Babbage and Ada Lovelace?
They were the Jobs and Woz of the 1800s
post #18 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Everyone wear blue jeans and black shirt!

You forgot the New Balance sneakers.

For most people, it'll probably be too expensive to replicate his style exactly. The black mock turtleneck is around $175. He most likely wore made in the US Levis, those are around $200. The New Balance sneakers probably aren't that expensive though.
post #19 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

How does one invent fire? That'd be like 'inventing' water. I'm pretty sure it existed before people.

Nope. Until people came along there was just this hot stuff that turned things charcoal colored and caused shadows at night.

After people showed up, they liked cooked meat, so they created fire.

Well, you have to ignore dragons because they don't count since they don't exist anymore
post #20 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I'm going to assume you are talking about computers.
Have you heard of Charles Babbage and Ada Lovelace?
They were the Jobs and Woz of the 1800s

Have you read the Difference Engine? All about them and that 1800s.
post #21 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I guess you are one of the people who never learned how to create a fire without matches or lighter. Natural selection is apparently not working at the moment. When you are stranded in the wilderness please wait for a lightning strike to start your camp fire.

post #22 of 89
One doesn't learn wilderness survival skills from mom's basement.

post #23 of 89
Quote:

I guess you are one of the people who never learned how to create a fire without matches or lighter. Natural selection is apparently not working at the moment. When you are stranded in the wilderness please wait for a lightning strike to start your camp fire.

or you can "make water" as they used to say in the past (pee, urinate)
when stranded in the wilderness please wait for a rain shower to fill your canteen
post #24 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You forgot the New Balance sneakers.

For most people, it'll probably be too expensive to replicate his style exactly. The black mock turtleneck is around $175. He most likely wore made in the US Levis, those are around $200. The New Balance sneakers probably aren't that expensive though.

Levis are no longer made in the USA

post #25 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

One doesn't learn wilderness survival skills from mom's basement.

you don't realize what can grow in a basement that receives no light and is amply fed by stale pizza crusts and ten years of sloughed off skin

a veritable wilderness of predators await should one leave the computer seat

but you're probably right, leaving that seat probably doesn't happen, so no wilderness encountered and no skills are developed
post #26 of 89
Quote:

but are they designed in the USA?
post #27 of 89
Quote:

You are wrong.

You can buy premium "made in USA" Levi's from www.levis.com today. They are indeed about $200 per pair (as mentioned earlier). They are sewn in a North Carolina mill.

Regular/imported Levi's jeans are far less.
post #28 of 89
Quote:

Sure they are.

For 99.7% of people buying Levis, they buy the ones not made in the USA.

But there are certain ones that are made in the USA.

http://us.levi.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=11326985
post #29 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Sure they are.

For 99.7% of people buying Levis, they buy the ones not made in the USA.

But there are certain ones that are made in the USA.

http://us.levi.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=11326985

Ok I will look into it since I have a flagship Levi store less than a mile from my house. I do recall reading an article several years ago that stated that Levi had closed their last US factory but I am pleased if indeed the manufacturing is beginning to return to the US.

Personally i am discouraged with the recent quality of levis since they went to 5 belt loops and the stitching in the crotch area is too over stitched which wears out very quickly. I have always tried to take care of my 501s by only washing in cold water and never putting them in the dryer, instead I line dry them. They aren't as soft when line dried but they last longer and don't fade as much.

I always buy the shrink to fit version.

post #30 of 89
Quote:

Good to know but for me it doesn't even rate as high valentines day or boxing day. Don't even get me started on Christmas or Easter.

Samhain is a great holiday representing the honoring of Fall Harvest and the end of the year historically throughout Northern European History.

Valentine's Day is an absolute joke.
post #31 of 89
Quote:

Ok I will look into it since I have a flagship Levi store less than a mile from my house. I do recall reading an article several years ago that stated that Levi had closed their last US factory but I am pleased if indeed the manufacturing is beginning to return to the US.

Personally i am discouraged with the recent quaily of levis since they went to 5 belt loops and the stitching in the crotch area is too over stitched which wears out very quickly. I have always tried to take care of my 501s by only washing in cold water and never putting them in the dryer, instead I line dry them. They aren't as soft when line dried but they last longer and don't fade as much.

I always buy the shrink to fit version.

You are absolutely right in being disappointed in current Levi's quality; they shut down their U.S. factories in the 90s.

I doubt if you can buy the "made in USA" Levi's at the local bricks-and-mortar shop. Those retail employees probably won't know anything about the premium stuff available online.
post #32 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by estyle View Post

Maybe it could be a reverse national holiday

Jobs Day:
a day when everybody pays tribute to the model that Steve was and works as hard as they can to produce something lasting. Just one day out of the year, when instead of dreaming about getting out of working to sit on the coach, we carpe diem and unleash our potential to its fullest.

That would be more the type holiday that would honor Mr Steve Jobs.

Love that.
post #33 of 89
wow. lot's of trolls and steve haters on here.

the world lost an amazing visionary. he was a giant among his peers in my lifetime. his vision changed the way we interact and perceive the world.

if it wasn't for steve jobs, we'd all be on windows, with beige computers, and still using crt's; having to walk away from our monitors (crt's used to make me sleepy); still lugging 10lb laptops around; still be using disks for backup. i'm not saying he invented these things, but he had the vision and (more importantly) the will to make them better.

the world has lost an amazing man. this is one way we can deal with the loss.
post #34 of 89
Quote:

Make it on his birthday, not his death day.
post #35 of 89
Sacramento resisted the Mac computer. Most IT depts were PC idiots. I worked for the state for 38 years. Got on of the first macs and never looked back. In my dept, when I retired (2009 )I was using a circa 1998 G3. It still ran great, never crashed. They had to replace just about every PC at least every 3 years and they still had crashes etc.

When someone got a file they could read, they would bring it to me to translate..

Another example of think of how much money the state could have saved if they had used Macs in many departments?
post #36 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by nenebird View Post

Sacramento resisted the Mac computer. Most IT depts were PC idiots. I worked for the state for 38 years. Got on of the first macs and never looked back. In my dept, when I retired (2009 )I was using a circa 1998 G3. It still ran great, never crashed. They had to replace just about every PC at least every 3 years and they still had crashes etc.

When someone got a file they could read, they would bring it to me to translate..

Another example of think of how much money the state could have saved if they had used Macs in many departments?

Yo, good story.

I'm glad we have a governor that gets it.

Steve's accomplishment was to humanize the computer.

Someone once did that with fire, which was out there already, only needed storing, portability, manufacture. Steve did that with fire, only it was mental fire, the electronic difference engine, the computer.

He also combined the computer with the wheel, as in "bicycle for the mind," meaning a human-scaled, low-footprint vehicle for the mind. A rideable computer, a portable, traveling one.

Language "jes' grew," wasn't really invented by any one person, but sprung from the group and family, passed from mother and father downward and outward. Gutenberg made a suitcase, not a bicycle, for the mind, using language.

Steve wanted to make a clean machine for the world, like Ford in a way, but he, Ford, left out the curves and tactile design; that was done by Porsche, who was the first to humanize the car with the Volkswagen and the early Porsches.

The computer is about amplifying language, like the book, but it can animate and manufacture, as well as spread and broadcast. Jobs's bicycle has become (intentionally) everybody's own TV network, much more influential a vehicle than any thing on wheels.

Right up there with Gutenberg, combined with Aldus Manutius, the one who scaled down the book into coat pocket and saddlebag size.
post #37 of 89
It would be nice if they would include Dennis Ritchie who just died. As the Inventor of Unix you might call him the grandpa of OSX.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15287391
post #38 of 89
post #39 of 89
Quote:

You are seriously arguing that fire didn't exist until people invented it? So next you're going to tell me that nuclear fusion didn't exist before people invented it. I guess the Sun is powered by magic.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #40 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

wow. lot's of trolls and steve haters on here.

the world lost an amazing visionary. he was a giant among his peers in my lifetime. his vision changed the way we interact and perceive the world.

if it wasn't for steve jobs, we'd all be on windows, with beige computers, and still using crt's; having to walk away from our monitors (crt's used to make me sleepy); still lugging 10lb laptops around; still be using disks for backup. i'm not saying he invented these things, but he had the vision and (more importantly) the will to make them better.

the world has lost an amazing man. this is one way we can deal with the loss.

This may be the only thread with no naysayers so why so defensive?

Also as great as Steve was you give him a bit too much credit.

That's like me saying "without Abraham Lincoln I'd still be a slave."

You're practically saying that Mr. Jobs is responsible for the optimization of technology over the past 30 years.

That he invented more practical storage media, that he invented more efficient monitors, that he invented better, lighter, more efficient batteries, and that he invented better building materials. He did none of that. He was a visionary. He saw in the clay a beautiful vase. But he didn't invent clay.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs memorial to be held this Sunday att Stanford University