or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › How do I take a HD out of a 6100?

How do I take a HD out of a 6100?

post #1 of 3
I have a PMac 6100 and a Centris 610. The Hard drive on the 6100 works. The rest of the machine doesn't. The harddrive in the 610 is dead and the rest of the machine works. I'm going to swap the 6100's drive into the 610, but I don't know how. All I really need to know is how to take out the drives. Thanks.
post #2 of 3
I'd say 50% chance that the problem with the 6100 is the battery.

What happens when you try to start it up?

You can get a new battery at RadioShack for $8 or so.

The Centris uses the same battery I bet. Try swapping batteries before you go through the hassle of swapping HDs.

Even if it doesn't use the same battery you may find that leaving the 6100 plugged in overnight will charge up the battery enough to let it start up (if that is, your 6100 has been left unplugged for a long time).

Removing the HD is rather easy from a 6100.

What part are you having trouble with?

I haven't done this for a couple of years and this is from memory:

Disconnect everything.

Open the case by lifting up the the snap tabs in the back (6100 is great this way -- every thing is right there when you open the case, in contrast to 7100 or 8500 etc Apple didn't get it right again until the Blue and White G3).

Blow the dust away Prefereably with a can of compressed air.

Disconnect the SCSI cable from the HD.

Disconnect the power cable from the HD.

Push in the tab so that the sled slides out.

You did it.

Now if the sleds match you can just swap the sleds and the drives together. If the sleds are different you'll need a Philips head screwdriver for the four screws...

Hope this helps.
--
AllInOne
--
AllInOne
post #3 of 3
I don't think the computer is "dead". It's more that it uses that freaky monitor adapter and the adapter I have is broken. The harddrive in the 610 is empty. So I just want to swap the HDs. The 6100 also has some cosmetic flaws, so I'd rather use the 610. I did that you said and it must have worked because the drives popped right out.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › How do I take a HD out of a 6100?