or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Buying advice: 733 v 800

Buying advice: 733 v 800

post #1 of 14
I am in need of a new machine to run AppleShareIP.

Am trying to decide between the recently discontinued (but still available in some places) 733 vs the currently shipping 800.

The main difference as far as I can tell is that the 733 is a 7450 G4 processor while the 800 is a 7455.

Is there a performance difference worth considering between these two processors?

If not the 733 at $1300 sounds like a better deal than the 800 at $1600.

Any advice would be appreciated. Would be especially interested in any benchmark data that anyone can point to...
--
AllInOne
--
AllInOne
post #2 of 14
I may be mistaken, but I think the 733 also has a neutered cache. I'd check on that real quick. If I'm right, you will indeed see a serious performance hit as opposed to the 800.

[ 03-10-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
post #3 of 14
[quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:
<strong>I may be mistaken, but I think the 733 also has a neutered cache.</strong><hr></blockquote>

So does the 800, so no advantage there. I think the 733 would be a better deal for server duty.
post #4 of 14
OK but just out of curiousity:

7455 v 7450 what's the difference if any?
--
AllInOne
--
AllInOne
post #5 of 14
You are correct, both machines lack a L3 cache, and have only 256k L2 caches. If you are talking about the high end older tower (Graphite El Captian, SuperDrive), it has a L3 cache (not sure on the MB does anyone know? I'm thinking 1MB.) But if I were you would go with the 733....I doubt you would see much of a performance difference, it's only 67MHz diff and it's cheaper. But I have never used either machine (I have used an older 733 and I can tell you that it IS fast).
post #6 of 14
[quote]Originally posted by AllInOne:
<strong>OK but just out of curiousity:

7455 v 7450 what's the difference if any?</strong><hr></blockquote>There are some technical differences, like Silicon-on-insulator, and a few things that seem to boost speed a little beyond the up in Mhz, from what I've heard. But probably not anything you'd notice.

BTW: Are you sure the single 800 machine is a 7455? There was a dual 800 that used 7450s, so they are available. And the only way that I know of to tell the difference is that they 7455 has DDR L3 cache - but since the 800 has no L3 cache, you can't really tell.
post #7 of 14
I was going by the specs as listed on Everymac.com.

I'd point to the pages, but the site is not responding at the moment...

According to them 800 is 7455 but no L3 cache. Both have 256K on chip L2.
--
AllInOne
--
AllInOne
post #8 of 14
But all will likely be moot, as you can't run AppleShare IP on either of them. You need Mac OS 9.1, and you can't run that on either machine. I've tried to run AppleShare IP on 9.2+ and it's a no go.
David Schaefer
www.equitek.com
David Schaefer
www.equitek.com
post #9 of 14
Just curious, why use ASIP when you can run OS X Server?
"Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do." - Think Different
"Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do." - Think Different
post #10 of 14
Why wouldn't 9.1 run on either of those machines? Is Apple really that obtuse?
IBL!
IBL!
post #11 of 14
[quote]Originally posted by Matsu:
<strong>Why wouldn't 9.1 run on either of those machines? Is Apple really that obtuse?</strong><hr></blockquote>
no, its all about system enablers and newer hardware and supporting it
post #12 of 14
I also wouldn place to much value on L3 cache on the slower processors the first 733 had a DDR L3 and it is barely faster than the "neutered" 733.
post #13 of 14
!h?h;?iginally posted by equitek:
<strong>But all will likely be moot, as you can't run AppleShare IP on either of them. You need Mac OS 9.1, and you can't run that on either machine. I've tried to run AppleShare IP on 9.2+ and it's a no go.</strong>[/QUOTE]

Yikes. I did not know that...

Thanks for the tip.

Was going to go with ASIP because it is an upgrade to an existing G3/350 BW.

I was planning to pull the SCSI PCI card & the SCSI HD from the old G3 and pop it into the new machine and be done.

Probably 3 hours work, including the time to get the machines out and in of the rackmount.

Moving to OSX is a much bigger job. When I originally posted this I wasn't even considering OSX because of the lack of a Retrospect solution. I understand Dantz has finally released the new Retrospect for X but I haven't had time to evaluate it.

I think I can get away with OSX instead of OSX Server as there are going to be 7 clients max on the LAN...

Anyone know what is the fastest machine that will run ASIP?

Thanks in advance...
--
AllInOne
--
AllInOne
post #14 of 14
Well, I don't have any useful advice, but a question comes to mind:

Where is the the most performance/dollar when upgrading an Apple server ?

Is it really the CPU ?

Perhaps RAM ?

Maybe the HD ?

Last week I put in a 450 Mhz G4 into my B&W, and am satisfied that the speed increases in web browsing with OW in 10.1.3, ripping MP3's, and using Illustrator 10 have been worth the $200. Since OS X likes to use the HD, I am considering (read: looking for inexpensive :cool: )
setting up an IDE hardware RAID...

YMMW...but's it an interesting discussion.

Good Luck, keep us posted with benchmarks

Eric
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Buying advice: 733 v 800