or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's 2012 iPhone was last project where Steve Jobs was "intimately involved"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's 2012 iPhone was last project where Steve Jobs was "intimately involved"

post #1 of 61
Thread Starter 
A complete redesign of Apple's iconic iPhone rumored for an introduction next summer was the last project that Steve Jobs poured his heart and soul into from start to near completion, according to pair of reports.

Expected to debut "around Apple's Developer's Conference in summer," the next-generation iPhone will combine a slimmer profile and larger screen into an enclosure relatively the same width and height as the existing models, according to Rodman & Renshaw analyst Ashok Kumar.

"This was the last project that Steve Jobs was intimately involved from concept to final design," he said. "For that reason and cutting edge features this product will establish the high water mark for iPhone volumes."

Separately, an Apple employee speaking on the condition of anonymity claimed that the next handset was a complete redesign. "This is a very large project that Steve dedicated all of his time to," that person said. "He was not that involved in the 4S because his time was limited."

Nevertheless, Kumar expects the combination of the iPhone 4 and earlier model to combine for sales of 20.2 million units during Apple's fiscal fourth quarter ending September. That would put the Cupertino-based company just marginally shy of its record 20.34 million units shipped during the previous quarter.

"Repositioning the current iPhone 4 at the low-end and offering the iPhone 3GS free could help Apple gain market share at the low-end," he explained. "Apple is expected to exit the year with high teens smartphone share."

The analyst also expects Apple to shatter both quarters of iPhone performance during the company's fiscal first quarter ending December, predicting record shipments of 27 million units. In total, he expects Apple to sell more than 115 million iPhones between now and this time next year.

Kumar, who has a hit or miss (2) track record when it comes to predicting Apple's future product initiatives, added that he sees plenty of upside to his estimates for volume growth, especially during the holiday quarter given an international expansion of the iPhone 4S to 70 countries and woes faced by its competitors.



For instance, he noted that Samsung stated on Oct. 10 that it would delay the release of its new smartphone Nexus Prime as a mark of respect for the death of Steve Jobs.

"We believe that the real reason is that both Google Ice Cream Sandwich and Samsung are having software and hardware issues respectively with their next generation platform," the analyst said. "Apple will likely be a key beneficiary of any delay."

Demand also remains strong for Macs and iPads in the current December quarter, he add, which is expected to yield shipments of 4.6 million and 12.5 million, respectively.
post #2 of 61
nice. I was hoping the 4s wasn't his final project.
post #3 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A complete redesign of Apple's iconic iPhone rumored for an introduction next summer was the last project that Steve Jobs poured his heart and soul into from start to near completion, according to pair of reports.

True

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... " the next-generation iPhone will combine a slimmer profile and larger screen into an enclosure relatively the same width and height as the existing models, according to Rodman & Renshaw analyst Ashok Kumar. ...

False
post #4 of 61
If this is true, then the next iPhone should be called the "iPhone Steve Jobs" in his honor. Seriously. I'd buy it.
post #5 of 61
It makes me want to buy an extra iPhone 5 and box it away as the last great icon of his time. Just got my white iPhone 4S in the mail and I felt his heart living on in a small way. To me, he didn't just set the standard for products and phones, he set the standard of how a life should be lived and walked out.

I miss seeing him.
aren't you going to miss being the smarter minority when Apple goes mainstream?
Reply
aren't you going to miss being the smarter minority when Apple goes mainstream?
Reply
post #6 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

If this is true, then the next iPhone should be called the "iPhone Steve Jobs" in his honor. Seriously. I'd buy it.

I suggest iPhone SJ
post #7 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

If this is true, then the next iPhone should be called the "iPhone Steve Jobs" in his honor. Seriously. I'd buy it.

The iPhone 6SJ?
post #8 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

If this is true, then the next iPhone should be called the "iPhone Steve Jobs" in his honor. Seriously. I'd buy it.

I was thinking the same thing. The iPhone SJ
post #9 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

False

You can't say that; we don't know it yet.

You can say, "I won't be buying another iPhone ever again if the screen's larger," but you have to have that 'if' there.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #10 of 61
I'm not sure what if anything the new phone should be called, but it would be nice if there was some sort of remembrance of Steve on it somewhere somehow.
post #11 of 61
iPhone4SJ - "iphone for steve jobs" lol
post #12 of 61
I think there is some truth to this talk but not complete truth.

yes the iPhone 2012 was likely the last item that Steve was involved in from first design to final. I believe this because it would take roughly 9-12 months for testing etc so that would be starting around now.

I also believe that Steve wasn't that involved in the design of the iPhone 4S during this past year or so because there was less need for it. Not because he knew he could drop dead at any moment.

What I don't believe is the implication that the iPhone 2012 is the last thing Steve touched. That's just not plausible. Products take 3-5 to develop to the point of a first full design. Steve may not have finished a number of products but he likely did start them. And everyone knew where he wanted to go and will go that direction. Out of respect if nothing else
post #13 of 61
And don't forget, iOS itself will always have his design influence as the guidelines were created with his input.

Of course the challenge is that iOS is really looking quite dated, especially against Windows Phone 7.
post #14 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You can't say that; we don't know it yet.

You can say, "I won't be buying another iPhone ever again if the screen's larger," but you have to have that 'if' there.

Well yes, I don't "really" know either. Or I could have a time machine. You just don't know.
post #15 of 61
I'm in for one unless it's just crap. Even if it's mediocre, I can't bring myself to pay the built in subsidy in my voice/data on a phone that is already paid in full and I'll be due for upgrade.

I'm sure it will be a lovely phone...
post #16 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Well yes, I don't "really" know either. Or I could have a time machine. You just don't know.

If you borrowed Apples time machine, please return it. They still need it to bring back cool new tech from the future.
post #17 of 61
Here we go again with the rumors. lol
post #18 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

And don't forget, iOS itself will always have his design influence as the guidelines were created with his input.

Of course the challenge is that iOS is really looking quite dated, especially against Windows Phone 7.

What exactly about Windows 7 is making iOS look outdated?
post #19 of 61
deleted
post #20 of 61
Man, those Harold and Kumar guys are crazy! Just goes to show you that predicting iPhone futures isn't just for jackass analysts!
Snarky Mac commentary, occasionally using bad words.
themacadvocate.com
Reply
Snarky Mac commentary, occasionally using bad words.
themacadvocate.com
Reply
post #21 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

What exactly about Windows 7 is making iOS look outdated?

You know, all those straight lines and the lack of texture and gradient. ;-)
post #22 of 61
First:
Quote:
Nevertheless, Kumar expects the combination of the new iPhone 4S and earlier model to combine for sales of 20.2 million units during Apple's fiscal fourth quarter ending December. That would put the Cupertino-based company just marginally shy of its record 20.34 million units shipped during the previous quarter.

Then:
Quote:
The analyst also expects Apple to shatter both quarters of iPhone performance during the company's fiscal first quarter ending December, predicting record shipments of 27 million units.

I think you meant to say "20.2 million units during Apple's fiscal fourth quarter ending in September." Apple's fiscal year goes from October 1 to September 30. Otherwise, the second quoted section makes zero sense.

However, the iPhone 4S will have absolutely no impact on Q4, because sales didn't start until October 14th. So the first statement is also still nonsensical.

I believe Kumar has been quoted elsewhere claiming that 4S sales will have a positive impact on last quarter, which is literally impossible. He's an idiot. You need to stop quoting him. Giving credence to that moron only lessens your credibility.
post #23 of 61
This much can be assumed:

1. Steve Jobs put his heart and soul into everything he did.
2. He was intimately involved in every project he worked on, including, you can be sure, the iPhone 4S.
3. He was intimately involved in all major ongoing Apple projects, which undoubtedly include the next iPhone, the next iPad, the next Apple TV, the next OS and iOS, and the next Macs.

I would not expect the next iPhone to be a "complete redesign" unless that term is broad enough to include the transition from iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4. I would expect the greatest change in the 2012 iPhone to be in the software and usability, much of which may be compatible with the iPhone 4 and 4S hardware. And, of course, the iPhone will keep getting thinner.
post #24 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

The iPhone 6SJ?

I think it's time to stop the enumeration of the iPhone models and move to a "pro" type delineation, similar to the Mac line. Possibly iPhone, iPhone S, and iPhone Pro?
post #25 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbruce View Post

I think it's time to stop the enumeration of the iPhone models and move to a "pro" type delineation, similar to the Mac line. Possibly iPhone, iPhone S, and iPhone Pro?

Nope.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #26 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

And don't forget, iOS itself will always have his design influence as the guidelines were created with his input.

Of course the challenge is that iOS is really looking quite dated, especially against Windows Phone 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

What exactly about Windows 7 is making iOS look outdated?

Please... iOS has kept to its roots and kept everything simple efficient. This is one reason why it just keeps selling despite the claims of iHaters and trolls.

Android and WP7 tries to attract those that feel the need to constantly change for the sake of changing.

Thank goodness Apple pays zero attention to the ramblings of folks that need changes after their 5-minute attention-span has run out.
post #27 of 61
"For that reason and cutting edge features this product will establish the high water mark for iPhone volumes."

Huh?
So because this is the last 'Steve involved phone', Apple will never be able to improve beyond it?
And Apple has no chance of taking a bigger bite out of the market represented by the 90% of world-wide users who still don't have an advanced phone?

What drugs is this guy on?
post #28 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post


Of course the challenge is that iOS is really looking quite dated, especially against Windows Phone 7.

Really impressed by anything new, aren't we?
Here's some shiny jingly keys for you.
post #29 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbruce View Post

I think it's time to stop the enumeration of the iPhone models and move to a "pro" type delineation, similar to the Mac line. Possibly iPhone, iPhone S, and iPhone Pro?

EEEWWWWW!!!

Award for bad idea of the century.
"Pro" usually designated the end of line....
"We can't think of any new real improvements, so we'll tag this stupid 'Pro' designator on it and cash in our options.

What would be 'Pro' about a phone?... ability to make robocalls?
post #30 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

If this is true, then the next iPhone should be called the "iPhone Steve Jobs" in his honor. Seriously. I'd buy it.

How about calling it "iPhone Commemorative"...

Instead of the Apple logo on back, a laser etched profile image of Steve.

And the next iPhone can be iPhone 7, will be the seventh phone released and the phone "number" to the actual phone release year will be back on track and harmony and karma will all be balanced again!
/
/
/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #31 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I think there is some truth to this talk but not complete truth.

yes the iPhone 2012 was likely the last item that Steve was involved in from first design to final. I believe this because it would take roughly 9-12 months for testing etc so that would be starting around now.

I also believe that Steve wasn't that involved in the design of the iPhone 4S during this past year or so because there was less need for it. Not because he knew he could drop dead at any moment.

What I don't believe is the implication that the iPhone 2012 is the last thing Steve touched. That's just not plausible. Products take 3-5 to develop to the point of a first full design. Steve may not have finished a number of products but he likely did start them. And everyone knew where he wanted to go and will go that direction. Out of respect if nothing else

1) By "his time was limited", I don't think they necessarily mean that he "could drop dead at any moment". The time of a CEO of his calibre is probably limited anyway, but this was probably exacerbated by his health problems.

2) I think the article is saying that the 2012 iPhone was the last thing he touched from start to finish. At least as far as "finished" means in the world of unreleased products. The next-gen iPhone is probably mostly finished at this point in terms of the design, specs, etc. The things that will be bulletpoints at WWDC 2012's keynote are already settled. Other big projects (next version of the Mac OS?) have probably gotten started but will not be polished and nit-picked by SJ.

3) BTW, that would be nice if it came out at WWDC instead of October 2012! That would help those who were disappointed at the "incremental" update of the 4S. By October 2012, early iPhone 4 customers will have been using their phones for 27 months! But that would seem to throw off their rhythm of March iPad, June WWDC, October iPhone.
post #32 of 61
Try Mango, its pretty damn nice. Its a lot smoother than Android, and the home screen has updating "icons" that you create for different things (apps, contacts, widget, photostream, etc), while you just swipe right for your typical apps listings.

As an iPhone user since 2G (my 4S is on its way to replace my 4 -- upgrading b/c of the Camera), and not being a fan of the Android OS, or its new "bigger is better" form factor (although those AMOLED screens are pretty nice), it was quite refreshing to see the home screen of the Windows Mango phone update with information streaming from several sources, be it Weather, Stocks, Facebook, Emails, Twitter, Photos, etc., etc. Plus the smoothness of the everything matches iOS, and they have tiny animations that works without intrustion between different actions/events.

That being said, I may look for a cheap Windows phone unlocked as my travel phone, but most likely not because I usually take a lot of pictures on my travels (i.e. iPhone 4S).

Anyways, check it out, it is refreshing to see something new working decently like that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

What exactly about Windows 7 is making iOS look outdated?
post #33 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Please... iOS has kept to its roots and kept everything simple efficient. This is one reason why it just keeps selling despite the claims of iHaters and trolls.

Android and WP7 tries to attract those that feel the need to constantly change for the sake of changing.

Thank goodness Apple pays zero attention to the ramblings of folks that need changes after their 5-minute attention-span has run out.

I'm a big fan of Apple's products, but iOS is getting a bit dated. Don't get me wrong - iOS 5 is an awesome upgrade. It's extremely well-rounded and would be my recommendation for 90% of my friends. But the whole "enormous page of app shortcuts" layout is getting tired. It is far from "simple and efficient" when you've got 100+ apps, and the only thing to organize/clean them is to drag them one-by-one into folders of no more than 12 apps.

I would prefer a more OS X-like approach of "Here are your most essential apps (Dock), but the rest of them are kept out of sight until you need them". I mean, who organizes their Mac with 100+ shortcuts on their desktop? I would also like a Menu-bar like functionality where you can quickly set bluetooth, Wi-Fi, etc. right away.
post #34 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"This was the last project that Steve Jobs was intimately involved from concept to final design," he said. "For that reason and cutting edge features this product will establish the high water mark for iPhone volumes."

I have always wonder how many "work hours" Steve used to put in each week to do all of this? With his CEO responsibilities, along with being so intimately involved with new product(s), and finding time for his family where did he find all of this time...
post #35 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Please... iOS has kept to its roots and kept everything simple efficient. This is one reason why it just keeps selling despite the claims of iHaters and trolls.

Android and WP7 tries to attract those that feel the need to constantly change for the sake of changing.

Thank goodness Apple pays zero attention to the ramblings of folks that need changes after their 5-minute attention-span has run out.

Apple changes when there is a real need to change -- not as the wind blows as stated by @sflocal. They have a reputation for cycles of products that evolve for several iterations and then maybe a redesign. It is almost never for the sake of the sake of just itself.

I have confidence that the 2012 iJobs phone will have some styling diffs, maybe the larger screen and a faster processor (since the ++A5 processor will be out). I would expect more than cosmetics though like longer batter life (read better tuned QualComm chip) and maybe newer jellyroll batteries. I would think it will continue some of the steps and make it flow a bit better since quite a lot has been added over the ages -- but I do see somewhat of a change more like to system 7+ than System 9 -> OS X.

just me two cents...
post #36 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebe1 View Post

Try Mango, its pretty damn nice. Its a lot smoother than Android, and the home screen has updating "icons" that you create for different things (apps, contacts, widget, photostream, etc), while you just swipe right for your typical apps listings.

As an iPhone user since 2G (my 4S is on its way to replace my 4 -- upgrading b/c of the Camera), and not being a fan of the Android OS, or its new "bigger is better" form factor (although those AMOLED screens are pretty nice), it was quite refreshing to see the home screen of the Windows Mango phone update with information streaming from several sources, be it Weather, Stocks, Facebook, Emails, Twitter, Photos, etc., etc. Plus the smoothness of the everything matches iOS, and they have tiny animations that works without intrustion between different actions/events.

That being said, I may look for a cheap Windows phone unlocked as my travel phone, but most likely not because I usually take a lot of pictures on my travels (i.e. iPhone 4S).

Anyways, check it out, it is refreshing to see something new working decently like that.

Sounds interesting, but also sounds like a battery/data drain.
post #37 of 61
I suggest iPhone 5
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #38 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

"For that reason and cutting edge features this product will establish the high water mark for iPhone volumes."

Huh?
So because this is the last 'Steve involved phone', Apple will never be able to improve beyond it?
And Apple has no chance of taking a bigger bite out of the market represented by the 90% of world-wide users who still don't have an advanced phone?

What drugs is this guy on?

No he isn't saying anything like that. "Establishing the high water mark" means that a new bar will be set w/the next iPhone, which has been the case w/pretty much every iPhone that has ever been released. There is nothing saying it will set a mark that will never be able to be reached again.
post #39 of 61
I was going to take this seriously until I saw the source: Ashtok Kumar. He doesn't know shit. He's little more than an overpaid blogger.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #40 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I suggest iPhone 5

You also suggested that BMW follow the 330 with the 331.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's 2012 iPhone was last project where Steve Jobs was "intimately involved"
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's 2012 iPhone was last project where Steve Jobs was "intimately involved"