or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › ITC judge finds Apple did not violate four HTC patents
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ITC judge finds Apple did not violate four HTC patents

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
A judge with the U.S. international Trade Commission ruled on Monday against HTC in a patent infringement lawsuit it filed against Apple.

The preliminary decision found that Apple was not in violation of four patents related to power management and phone dialing, according to Reuters. The full commission will decide to uphold or reject the judge's decision on February 17.

The complaint stems from May of 2010, when HTC filed its lawsuit with the ITC and asked for the commission to ban the importation of iPhone, iPad and iPod products into America. Judge Charles Bullock found that HTC's patents were valid, but Apple was not in violation.

Reacting to the news, analyst Mike Abramsky from RBC Capital Markets said Apple's victory is yet another positive for the company, as it has found continued legal success against Android device makers. In its most high profile victories, Apple has managed to bar the sale of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Germany and Australia.

Monday's decision represents just one of many ongoing lawsuits between Apple and HTC. Abramsky noted that a final ITC ruling is expected on Dec. 6 for another Apple lawsuit against HTC, in which the commission found that HTC violated two patents owned by Apple.

Even sooner, on Nov. 1, a final ruling is expected in another HTC suit against Apple, in which HTC has accused it rival of violating patents owned by S3 Graphics. The ITC ruled in July in a preliminary decision that Mac OS X is in violation of the S3 patents, but the iPhone and iPad are not.

However, subsequently the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office invalidated S3's patents, and chipmaker AMD is claiming ownership, casting even more confusion into the sprawling legal showdown between HTC and Apple.
post #2 of 27
I hope that everybody continues to sue the hell out of each other all over the globe.

Apple is emerging victorious from most of these rulings, while the competitors, such as Samsung, are finding their products banned!

I'm also awaiting some posts that begin like this:

I'm a big Apple fan, I own many of their products, but how can anybody patent a rectangle? Is Apple afraid of competition?

Apple is evil, and I'm never, ever going to buy any Apple product again.
post #3 of 27
Sounds good to me... Onward to $500!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #4 of 27
The nooses around their necks are slowly getting tighter...
post #5 of 27
The courts are showing us what we already knew. Apple innovates, others copy.
post #6 of 27
HTC paid $300 million for the now-invalidated S3 patents for protection against their theft of Apple's intellectual property. Sucks to be them!

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Even sooner, on Nov. 1, a final ruling is expected in another HTC suit against Apple, in which HTC has accused it rival of violating patents owned by S3 Graphics. The ITC ruled in July in a preliminary decision that Mac OS X is in violation of the S3 patents, but the iPhone and iPad are not.

However, subsequently the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office invalidated S3's patents, and chipmaker AMD is claiming ownership, casting even more confusion into the sprawling legal showdown between HTC and Apple.

I was wondering when this shoe was going to fall.
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

The nooses around their necks are slowly getting tighter...

That's funny, b/c they keep dodging bullets. Unless you're referring to the idea that eventually no one will cross license anything (other than required FRAND patents) to Apple and they will be stuck. Guess they'll just have to innovate their way past that like they've done since Jobs came back in the late 90s huh?
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

That's funny, b/c they keep dodging bullets. Unless you're referring to the idea that eventually no one will cross license anything (other than required FRAND patents) to Apple and they will be stuck. Guess they'll just have to innovate their way past that like they've done since Jobs came back in the late 90s huh?

Actually, I was implying that folks like Samsung and HTC can't keep this dance up much longer. Evenutally, they're going to trip and fall flat on their faces (imho of course).

I think they are just trying to buy time by filing hugely stupid lawsuits and the sort just to delay the inevitable and buy time to come out with their next product that doesn't step (as much) on Apple's IP.

Then, when that day comes... they can just tell the courts that products like the Galaxy 10.x is so 2011 that it doesn't matter anymore.
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

That's funny, b/c they keep dodging bullets. Unless you're referring to the idea that eventually no one will cross license anything (other than required FRAND patents) to Apple and they will be stuck. Guess they'll just have to innovate their way past that like they've done since Jobs came back in the late 90s huh?

I believe he was referring to the noose being around HTC's collective neck, not Apple's.
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

That's funny, b/c they keep dodging bullets. Unless you're referring to the idea that eventually no one will cross license anything (other than required FRAND patents) to Apple and they will be stuck. Guess they'll just have to innovate their way past that like they've done since Jobs came back in the late 90s huh?

Actually, I think Apple will be happy to cross-license lots of their technology with companies that also respect IP. To date these have included Microsoft and Nokia, and I am sure others that haven't made the news. This would not include IP that Different-iates Apple products through the user experience. That is the heart and soul of Apple's business strategy and brand.

However Google and their outlaw band of copyists will have a much more difficult time getting ANY cross-licenses from Apple. Yes, you are right, Apple with have to out-innovate these idiots. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Macintosh 512Ke.......

Reply

Macintosh 512Ke.......

Reply
post #12 of 27
Of all companies under Apple's crosshairs I'm shocked HTC and to an extent Motorola are being called copycats.

HTC has been doing great innovative things since before Apple got into the phone game with their finger friendly (at the time especially) Sense overlay of the atrocious Windows mobile.
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post


HTC has been doing great innovative things since before Apple got into the phone game


But not much since, I guess:

Abramsky noted that a final ITC ruling is expected on Dec. 6 for another Apple lawsuit against HTC, in which the commission found that HTC violated two patents owned by Apple.
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Of all companies under Apple's crosshairs I'm shocked HTC and to an extent Motorola are being called copycats.

HTC has been doing great innovative things since before Apple got into the phone game with their finger friendly (at the time especially) Sense overlay of the atrocious Windows mobile.

Well, its not only me and people on this site that have "called" them copycats. Its the judiciary of four nations to date, and counting. So your verb "call" is a little weak. How about the verb "convicted?"

You know I don't really blame Moto or HTC. They just drank the Google cool-aid. No breaks for Samsung however -- that is a different matter entirely.

Unfortunately, Moto and HTC could get badly hurt if Oracle and/or Apple win, which appears more and more likely. What happens on the day that Android can no longer be sold, or can't use capacitive multitouch? If I were an investor I wouldn't go anywhere near an Android phone maker right now.

These cases begin to be decided in early November (although the Oracle-Google case, scheduled for Oct 31, may be postponed because the judge is busy with another case). Time is short (to short the stock, that is!)

Macintosh 512Ke.......

Reply

Macintosh 512Ke.......

Reply
post #15 of 27
Take a look at the Map app interface.

http://daringfireball.net/misc/2011/...-galaxy-50.png
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriskkalu View Post

Take a look at the Map app interface.

http://daringfireball.net/misc/2011/...-galaxy-50.png

I'm waiting for some Samsung-ite to defend it in 1-2-3
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriskkalu View Post

Take a look at the Map app interface.

http://daringfireball.net/misc/2011/...-galaxy-50.png

Lol please tell me that's a bad graphic design job.
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOROM View Post

Well, its not only me and people on this site that have "called" them copycats. Its the judiciary of four nations to date, and counting. So your verb "call" is a little weak. How about the verb "convicted?"

You know I don't really blame Moto or HTC. They just drank the Google cool-aid. No breaks for Samsung however -- that is a different matter entirely.

Unfortunately, Moto and HTC could get badly hurt if Oracle and/or Apple win, which appears more and more likely. What happens on the day that Android can no longer be sold, or can't use capacitive multitouch? If I were an investor I wouldn't go anywhere near an Android phone maker right now.

These cases begin to be decided in early November (although the Oracle-Google case, scheduled for Oct 31, may be postponed because the judge is busy with another case). Time is short (to short the stock, that is!)

But they weren't convicted of a damn thing o.O

Also infringement isn't copying. Unless you feel Apple copied coverflow.
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

But they weren't convicted of a damn thing o.O

Also infringement isn't copying. Unless you feel Apple copied coverflow.

When Samsung buys Apple you can can claim that the situations are similar.

http://www.steelskies.com/coverflow/
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

When Samsung buys Apple you can can claim that the situations are similar.

http://www.steelskies.com/coverflow/

I'm not talking about Samsung. Fuck Samsung. I'm talking about HTC

Hell I'm shocked people aren't applauding HTC for their differentiation efforts. But no a competitor to Apple is bad period I see.

Besides: http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/intellec...97/?fullsite=1
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

When Samsung buys Apple you can can claim that the situations are similar.
http://www.steelskies.com/coverflow/

Save your breath. These folks don't do their homework.
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I'm not talking about Samsung. Fuck Samsung. I'm talking about HTC

Hell I'm shocked people aren't applauding HTC for their differentiation efforts. But no a competitor to Apple is bad period I see.

1) My bad, I'm so used to bashing Apple in anything to do with Samsung.

2) HTC isn't copying Apple's patents, but there is nothing great about their efforts, either. Why should I apply mediocrity. That said, their mediocrity is the best in the best in a world that doesn't include Apple which I've said on many occasion that if I couldn't have an iPhone I'd use an HTC device running WP7.



I see you October 2010 article and raise you an April 2011 article:
On Monday, April 4, U.S. District Judge Leonard E. Davis of Tyler ruled that Apple did not infringe on a patent owned by Mirror Worlds LLC dealing with the way documents are displayed on a computer screen.

"Mirror Worlds may have painted an appealing picture for the jury, but it failed to lay a solid foundation sufficient to support important elements it was required to establish under the law," Davis wrote.

http://www.setexasrecord.com/news/23...-against-apple
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) My bad, I'm so used to bashing Apple in anything to do with Samsung.

2) HTC isn't copying Apple's patents, but there is nothing great about their efforts, either. Why should I apply mediocrity. That said, their mediocrity is the best in the best in a world that doesn't include Apple which I've said on many occasion that if I couldn't have an iPhone I'd use an HTC device running WP7.



I see you October 2010 article and raise you an April 2010 article:
On Monday, April 4, U.S. District Judge Leonard E. Davis of Tyler ruled that Apple did not infringe on a patent owned by Mirror Worlds LLC dealing with the way documents are displayed on a computer screen.

"Mirror Worlds may have painted an appealing picture for the jury, but it failed to lay a solid foundation sufficient to support important elements it was required to establish under the law," Davis wrote.

http://www.setexasrecord.com/news/23...-against-apple

Eh I'm not a fan of Sense anyways so I feel you. Also your article is from April 2010 mines is from October 2010. I'm confused. I'm gonna click the link. Perhaps you meant 2011. (Edit: you did mean 2011)

My point isn't that they stole anything. In fact my point was they didn't steal or copy anything. My point was that infringement doesn't necessitate copying or stealing (though it can)
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriskkalu View Post

Take a look at the Map app interface.

http://daringfireball.net/misc/2011/...-galaxy-50.png

that's just a horrible screenshot btw...the actual maps app probably won't look like that as I don't think they have the same licensing deal as Apple does for personalization of the app interface.

what it is is poor Samsung management over the graphic and shows a general lack of QC

hell you should see what the Android blogs are saying about it. lol. Samsung is pissing off us too.
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm waiting for some Samsung-ite to defend it in 1-2-3

It'll sound something like this: "We don't know if Samsung produced the ad with the maps image. It may have been the same company that produced that wall of AppStore icons behind the Samsung kiosk at that Korean electronics store. Not nearly enough is known to make any judgment."

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Save your breath. These folks don't do their homework.

...or have a personal irony meter.
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
Reply
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
Reply
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It'll sound something like this: "We don't know if Samsung produced the ad with the maps image. It may have been the same company that produced that wall of AppStore icons behind the Samsung kiosk at that Korean electronics store. Not nearly enough is known to make any judgment."

The wall of app store Icons is a store display. Not Samsung. This however falls 100% on Samsung as outsourced or not this is their responsibility
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › ITC judge finds Apple did not violate four HTC patents