or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple profits jump 54% on record sales of 4.9M Macs, 11.2M iPads

Apple profits jump 54% on record sales of 4.9M Macs, 11.2M iPads - Page 4

post #121 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Really what stinks here? IPad sales up 166%, Mac sales up or the general revenue improvements over last year. I really don't get the negativity.

They were under the street's EPS. First time in about ten years. Hours before the earnings announcement I posted here that if Apple fails to beat the street by at least 10% then the stock will fall. They didn't, and it did. It's not about negativity, it's about what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The street consensus you are so reliant upon is simply there for market manipulation. Real investors will look at these numbers and realize that Apple is the only technology company actually increasing sales. Name us one other computer company doing this well?

That "I" am so reliant on? Try investors. Try the markets. Chalking it up to "manipulation" is just another way of saying that you don't understand how markets work. Investing in stocks is about trying to anticipate the future. I didn't hear any complaints when Apple rallied to new highs on these profit estimates. Why it surprises anyone that the stock retreats when they don't come true is an everlasting mystery to me. I'm actually surprised that it wasn't by a lot more.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #122 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

His final statement is correct in that Apple did very well, just not as well as was expected by Wall Street.

In his example, Apple could increase revenue's 400%, but if Wall Street had expected them to increase it 500%, it's a disappointment. The share price was based on the expectations (inflated) and thus returns closer to where it should be based on the hard numbers released.

Perception is reality, and even though I'm not a fan of analysts, the fact is that the stock price was based on a combination of their expectations and Apple's guidance (plus other external factors and market conditions). If the analysts had been more conservative, the stock price likely would have been lower to start with.

Yes, but the truth of the matter is the most conservative/pessimistic analysts were much closer to the mark this time. We've heard these analysts ridiculed here in the past for always being low. So what's the explanation now? Just the opposite logic is applied.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #123 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Yes, but the truth of the matter is the most conservative/pessimistic analysts were much closer to the mark this time. We've heard these analysts ridiculed here in the past for always being low. So what's the explanation now? Just the opposite logic is applied.

The difference is that in the past, the analysts' projections were reasonable based on Apple's history and Apple's guidance. This time, the projections were far out of line with Apple's guidance and history. Basically, Apple has beaten their own guidance by 12-18% each quarter (with one exception) for the last 2 years. As long as the analysts were less than 12-18% above Apple's guidance, then Apple could still beat the Analysts' projections. This time, however, the analysts were projecting a number about 50-60% above Apple's guidance - which is clearly absurd and way out of line with historical results.

The analysts blew it. If they had continued to estimate a number based on history, there wouldn't be an issue.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/10/...oesnt-matter/
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #124 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

Oracle puts all its faith into databases.
Microsoft puts all its faith into office.
Google puts all its faith into a search engine.

They seem to be doing quite alright with themselves.

Not quite the same thing, really.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

post #125 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Yeah, I'd love to see their earnings call after a move like that. Incredible how you would be so disconnected from reality as to advocate financial suicide. If there's no other way around it. Most of us, who aren't living in lala-land like yourself, recognize that producing their products in the US is an impossibility.

Yeah I suspect instead of making Insane record profits it would only be "insane" record profits without the capital "I". However, from a macro economic standpoint and the health of the country that enabled them to design such great products it would be good. The cut in profits would be a fraction of their total profit - far from being an "impossibility"
http://thesocietypages.org/socimages...aving-america/
Instead of living in lala-land I am able to see the big picture and see that the track we are on in this country is neither sustainable or good. As a stockholder I would gladly rather see a slightly smaller profit and be able to buy my Apple products made in America.
post #126 of 129
deleted
post #127 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

I think the link jragosta included was one of the most relevant here. This moment offers an opportunity for a sober reassessment of fundamentals, which have been sorely off base. Not Apple's fundamentals, which have generally been proven sound, but the fundamentals of analysis.

In recent years Apple's growth rate caused analysts to get completely wild with their predictions, and when Apple beat even those the predictions the next round got even more wild, continuing into a stratosphere that risked becoming unrealistic given the complex factors involved. At some point, it was inevitable that expectations return to Earth.

IMNSHO, the problem here isn't Apple at all, but the same sort of "irrational exuberance" that led to the dot-bomb bust. The details differ, but the unrealistic expectations are quite similar.

At some point, the so-called professionals entrusted with other people's money need to slow down and look at the big picture.

This doesn't mean Apple needs to slow down; they're fine. It's the analysts who need to get a grip and understand that stratospheric growth isn't infinitely sustainable in any economy, not Apple's nor anyone else's.

All systems are cyclic, even Apple's. That Apple's last quarter was merely great rather than insanely great isn't Apple's fault, but merely the fault of the insane.

I think both of you miss the point of what I was saying. No matter how you cut it, it is new that the pessimists, the ones who are generally ridiculed on these boards for not being giddy enough, were right this time. It is also new that the unaffiliated analysts, who are generally lionized here for being so much more accurate than the (as you've put it) the "so-called professionals," were far off the mark.

Also, none of this really creates any kind of "issue." Investors read the guidance and make pre-earnings investing decisions accordingly. The bullish estimates caused the stock to rise to record levels (and I don't recall anyone complaining about that). If the company doesn't produce those earnings, then the stock is going to get beaten back down some. The same is true for AAPL or any other stock. If that's a problem for you, then you aren't a person who should be buying individual stocks, because it will drive you crazy on a daily basis.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #128 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

So? I'm really not following this line of argument.

Apple has managed to plow through some powerful economic headwinds for several years running. Can they continue to do so? Is this earnings report a sign that they can't? That's the question I am asking. I don't pretend to know the answer.

Millmoss, maybe holding this stock is more than you can handle. Your worrying is sometimes grating. Just sell already.
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
post #129 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomine View Post

Millmoss, maybe holding this stock is more than you can handle. Your worrying is sometimes grating. Just sell already.

No thanks. I've been in AAPL since 1997. Ignorance was not the reason for my investing in the first place, and it won't play any part in any decisions to hold or sell. Of course, YMMV. In fact I'm quite sure it does.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple profits jump 54% on record sales of 4.9M Macs, 11.2M iPads