or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google, Samsung unveil Galaxy Nexus phone running Android 4.0

Google, Samsung unveil Galaxy Nexus phone running Android 4.0 - Page 2

post #41 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

I would hope the user has to initiate or at least approve sharing. "Automatic" is code for insecure.

Also, BT 4.0 includes a low-power standard that allows a wake-on-demand function and can replicate similar functionality to NFC and RFID.

I'm willing to bet Apple never includes NFC. It's a buzzword technology that has failed to catch on significantly. Reminds me of people clamoring for e-SATA in Macs. Yeah, not going to happen.

Apple will have to use NFC if they want to enable mobile payments because that's what the payments industry is using.

But NFC will largely be as useless for iOS as Bluetooth 4.0 is. What's the point of BT 4.0 if file sharing is disabled? NFC could well be similarly limited under Apple's vision.
post #42 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

First of all, take a look at the name of this site. It's impossible for me to troll when making fun of Fandroids. Now, if I was a loser and liked to spend my time hanging out at Android sites and talking crap about them, I could see your point.

That face recognition demo was no small failure, as you put it. It was a catastrophic failure when they were attempting to show off a brand new feature.

Apple had Wifi problems that one time, because there were too many Wifi devices in the audience and things were congested.

What's Google's excuse? The failure was at the app level, it wasn't due to third party interference like what happened to Apple.

Like I said before you are a pro Apple troll on a pro Apple site. An amazing feat but not impossible.
post #43 of 175
Quote:

First of all, take a look at the name of this site. It's impossible for me to troll when making fun of Fandroids. Now, if I was a loser and liked to spend my time hanging out at Android sites and talking crap about them, I could see your point.

That face recognition demo was no small failure, as you put it. It was a catastrophic failure when they were attempting to show off a brand new feature.

Apple had Wifi problems that one time, because there were too many Wifi devices in the audience and things were congested.

What's Google's excuse? The failure was at the app level, it wasn't due to third party interference like what happened to Apple.

Let's wait to see how it works in real life before trashing it in a demo.

A demo could be great and turn out to severely limited in real life. Just look at how limited Siri is turning out to be internationally.
post #44 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

You need to tap a button to share via wifi or bluetooth, with NFC, sharing is automatic as soon as the two phones are close enough. It's a really natural and transparent way of sharing. You'll see next year when Apple introduces that in the next iPhone.

Before you start claiming that Android was first in this, look to the many patents Apple has on this same kind of technology from the early 2000's.
post #45 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Like I said before you are a pro Apple troll on a pro Apple site. An amazing feat but not impossible.

I'm not even sure what that means exactly, but it sounds good to me.

It sure beats being a Fandroid infiltrator on a pro-Apple site, which some people happen to be. I won't mention any names.
post #46 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Just look at how limited Siri is turning out to be internationally.

Do you mean that certain features are not yet implemented in countries outside of the US? That's intentional and more regions and countries will be added in 2012 Apple said.
post #47 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

"We started by looking at every screen and thinking about it like a magazine layout. We wanted something relevant, emotional, and we looked to the latest trends in graphics design to insprie us."
That sounds like a good idea to me.

Translated - we got sick of everyone saying we were stealing the look and feel of iOS, so we decided to copy Windows Phone instead!
post #48 of 175
Quote:

Just because you are pro-Apple on an Apple site doesn't mean you can't be (and aren't being) a mindless troll. And using your absolutely terrible logic, I could argue that this is an Android news release. So you're being a trolling iPhan (or whatever the kids call them these days). Regardless, you're trolling; and poorly at that.

Honestly, I didn't particularly care for the facial recognition feature. I dont' lock my phone. That being said, I think it's meant to be a bonus feature, not something huge.
And yes, wifi failing was a huge deal. Believe it or not, if your device is unable to beat other devices in picking up a signal as you toute a newly innovative antenna, you failed. Massively.

I swear, every time there's an article about Android you're the first to come in screaming "ANDROID IZ TEH LO0SER BECAUSE I LEIK APPLES." Android is successful. iOS is also successful. Get over it.
TalkAndroid anyone?
TalkAndroid anyone?
post #49 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelong View Post

I caught the tail end of it. Honestly the new Android looks very slick. It's good to have Google and Apple pushing each other like this.

Agreed. The form factor design of nexus is nice. Let's face it, there is only so many shapes it can be.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #50 of 175
Anyways...not sure why any fighting is necessary here.

It looks like a solid full on evolution to the Android OS...now if only the 3rd party devs can actually follow the design cues this time around.

It looks like Android has finally grown up and (aside from the homescreen which I'm not too much a fan of) has beautified and unified itself.
post #51 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Before you start claiming that Android was first in this, look to the many patents Apple has on this same kind of technology from the early 2000's.

Similarly, look at how many patents Google (nee Motorola) has on this technology from the late 1980s until today.
post #52 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Translated - we got sick of everyone saying we were stealing the look and feel of iOS, so we decided to copy Windows Phone instead!

Eh, not so much.

Just like iOS didn't invent a grid of icons...at all actually...WP7 didn't invent swiping left to right for more information....at all actually...

I can see why people would say that, sure, but Windows design philosophy is very different than what we see in Android 4.0.
post #53 of 175
I'm glad there's a good competition between platforms (Apple, Google, MS). Competition pushes these companies to not sit on their laurels.
post #54 of 175
Quote:

Just like iOS didn't invent a grid of icons...at all actually...WP7 didn't invent swiping left to right for more information....at all actually...

Just like iOS didn't invent the color blue...at all actually... even though it uses blue. Or red. Or yellow. Or pixels. Or radio waves. There's nothing original about it...at all actually... OMG Apple stole everything from Android. Wow, what a great argument. Everyone should add z to their name and become a fandroid. Let's do it!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #55 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

Android is successful. iOS is also successful. Get over it.

That depends upon one's definition of success.

I have high standards, and it doesn't matter one bit to me how many Android phones are out there or how many they give away for free. I don't think very highly of that OS.

From a personal perspective, I use a lot of music apps and Android is pure crap for music apps! Android will never appeal to a demanding and artistic pro user such as myself.

I possess the amazing ability to see through meaningless specs, flashy sci-fi commercials and realize that at the very core of Android, there is that Java based OS and that just doesn't cut it for people who demand true excellence and smooth performance. And from an aesthetic point of view, I just don't like the look of the OS.

I will continue to make fun of Apple's competitors all I want, get used to it.
post #56 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuniverse View Post

I'm glad there's a good competition between platforms (Apple, Google, MS). Competition pushes these companies to not sit on their laurels.

Really? Where was this sentiment before January 10, 2007?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #57 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Just like iOS didn't invent the color blue...at all actually... even though it uses blue. Or red. Or yellow. Or pixels. Or radio waves. There's nothing original about it...at all actually... OMG Apple stole everything from Android. Wow, what a great argument. Everyone should add z to their name and become a fandroid. Let's do it!

wtf are you talking about? Talk about a strawman argument. I never said iOS stole anything from Android ever.

Point was meant for all those saying Android looks like a rip of iOS (despite some blatant differences) and now saying that Android 4.0 looks like WP7 (despite some blatant differences).

Serious question (jk)...did Android molest you as a child or something?
post #58 of 175
Quote:

ummmm...non-existent?

you had a point or something?
post #59 of 175
Quote:

That's only a rectangle with a screen on it. That was bound to happen sooner or later, Apple or no Apple.

Speaking of which, did you see that new Motorola, iPad nano looking thing that they released today?
post #60 of 175
Quote:

Couldn't one argue (and be correct) that competition drove Apple to invent the iPhone?
TalkAndroid anyone?
TalkAndroid anyone?
post #61 of 175
Quote:

Android now has an innovative folder function. You drag one app on top of another, and a folder is created.

And on Thursday Apple will file requests for injunctions against this phone citing a patent on this particular method of creating folders
post #62 of 175
Do you really need for Google to take a picture of your face every time you unlock the phone? It's kind of a cheesy thing to do. What stops someone of holding a picture of the user in front of the camera and unlock it?

It looks "cool" but from a stand point of being intuitive I think it's still not there. I feel like Google just throws in the "cool" stuff and less of useful stuff. Keeps changing it's user interface, fonts, etc etc.
Apple had me at scrolling
Apple had me at scrolling
post #63 of 175
I really do like the way that google is moving with this. The beam feature does seem like a very worthwhile thing to have in my phone. The folders feature was boring if you ask me. Current android phones already have it (android had it before iOS believe it or not). However its not needed that much on android because as many of you know android stores all of the app links in a Centralized applications drawer and not on the home screen. The changes to the Camera App I feel where well needed. And it is good to see that google is finally realizing they can no longer rely on the OEMs to produce hardware for the phones to sell. Google has to now step up to deliver the Software and make it too more competitive. this next year looks like it will be a fun one.

For those still not in the mix about the new Android OS I posted a quick preview of it on my blog check it out and PLEASE LEAVE SOME CRITICISM to help me get better at writing articles.
post #64 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

Couldn't one argue (and be correct) that competition drove Apple to invent the iPhone?

Why, yes. Apple was showing Palm/Microsoft/Nokia/RIM/Google what the future was smart phones looked like. You could say they "drove" Apple to invent the iPhone.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #65 of 175
From ThisismyNext:

Apparently, all the specs in the world still can't manage stutter/lag-free operation. Definitely an OS issue:

Quote:
As to overall performance, we saw a good deal of stutter in the Galaxy Nexus before us. Taps were not always recognized and there were occasional delays in performing an instruction, though in Google’s defense, it was a phone fully loaded with running tasks and the software is being continually improved and optimized (i.e. it’s not yet fully baked). That having been said, it unfortunately remains the case that Android isn’t as swift and responsive as iOS or Windows Phone (or even MeeGo Harmattan on the N9). Or at least it wasn’t on the demo phone we got a look at. The subtle, pervasive lag that has characterized the Android UI since it inception is still there, which is not a heartening thing to hear when you’re talking about a super-powered dual-core device like the Galaxy Nexus.

http://thisismynext.com/2011/10/18/g...ideo-hands-on/

The camera also seems extremely mediocre from the sample shots. Definitely nothing approaching 4S quality.
post #66 of 175
This new Samsung phone is to try and stop would be iPhone buyers. They want to try and lure the younger crowd into buying a phone that doesn't require a PC of any kind in any way. I myself like the option of syncing with a computer mainly my Mac Pro. Managing my content is really nice. But I have not heard anything about managing android phone content. And most likely Windows 8 is gonna be setup to handle that android eventually with its start screen. How boring. I have the developers version of Winders 8 and I think its a loser.
An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #67 of 175
Quote:

wtf are you talking about? Talk about a strawman argument. I never said iOS stole anything from Android ever.

Point was meant for all those saying Android looks like a rip of iOS (despite some blatant differences) and now saying that Android 4.0 looks like WP7 (despite some blatant differences).

Um, yeeeah... I wasn't accusing you of saying anything. I thought it would be funny to turn fandroid arguments like "Apple didn't invent the rectangle" on its side and show how utterly ridiculous those are strawman arguments sound to me by hyperbolizing it.

Frankly, I don't care what your point was; I was more interested in making my point. Because I'm like that.

Quote:

Serious question (jk)...did Android molest you as a child or something?

If it did, Pope Schmidt said it was OK and not to tell my parents.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #68 of 175
Mediocre specs for today.
Good that the demo reminded everyone Android is bug-ridden.
post #69 of 175
never mind, mis-read...
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #70 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooman625 View Post

Why release ice cream or whatever on a phone worse than the galaxy s2 and WORSE than the iPhone. Seems like a slow release. The razor 2.0 seems like a better phone to do this on...

The nexus lineup is traditionally not a high spec phone. It is the google phone and who manufactures it can change from year to year. No manufacturer would want their flagship phone to be one that may be produced by another manufacturer next year. It always sits below the specs of its manufacturers best phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X38 View Post

Aside from giving Google direct access to snoop on everyone's credit card transactions, what possible use does NFC have? There's already two wireless comm systems built into almost every device these days with Wifi and Bluetooth, what point is there to yet another, let alone one that is even less capable? Kudos to Apple for not cluttering the iPhone with that nonsense.

The barometer on the other hand does sound like an interesting addition. Temperature sensing would be nice too.

4.65" screen seems too large though - more of a miniature tablet than a cell phone. Definitely too big for comfortable one handed operation and more than I care to have in my pocket.

NFC Bank transactions are a handy thing. In my case that is three less cards in my wallet when both banks change over. At the moment only one is testing NFC payments.

Electronic ticketing will be another. With thousands of people walking through a turnstile or airport Bluetooth and wifi are less useful. Hotels have already started testing using phone NFCs to send a door key code when you book. It is active for only the time of your stay. I have a NFC card I carry around to get in and sections I have access to in my workplace. Technicians say they will look into allowing phones to do this in the future. Paying for your bus/train trips is done through various forms of NFC in many places these days. I could go on and on.

As for the screen, it replaces the buttons. By removing buttons you free up space on the phone, so it is not as big as it sounds. Down side of this is that if you don’t realise this, you may not get as much viewing room as the screen size suggests. Work around could be a drop down buttons. Overall, 2 cm longer than the 4S.
post #71 of 175
Quote:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/19/i...ck-demo-video/

you and everyone else should watch this demo of the facial recognition on the phone. it takes a half second

who cares if it didn't work on stage? There was an insane amount of stage lighting. Wouldn't you rather have software like this be strict rather than unlocking itself for everyone that looks at it? Worst case scenario it doesn't recognize you, you a pattern unlock. This is an amazing feature

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

post #72 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Mediocre specs for today.
Good that the demo reminded everyone Android is bug-ridden.

-Best screen in the industry. 720p super amoled with curved gorilla glass.
-underclocked 1.2ghz omap 4460 which will have tons of room for OC
-hardware acceleration in android 4.0
-NFC
-the only thing average would be the camera. even though it's 5mp, from what we've seen so far, does great 1080p video, great stills, contrast, and low light performance. you can also take 5mp still WHILE RECORDING VIDEO
-barometer (hey, it'll be fun to see what devs do with it :P)
-~8.6mm thin

mediocre? not even close

bug-ridden? what?
you mean the facial recognition? it worked the way it was supposed to. watch the video of it on engadget. it's instant

post #73 of 175
The phone and the OS looks like crap to me.

Android blows.

CNN: Obamacare largest tax increase in American history

FORBES: ObamaCare's 7 Tax Hikes On Middle class

CNN: Obamacare largest tax increase in American history

FORBES: ObamaCare's 7 Tax Hikes On Middle class

post #74 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

The phone and the OS looks like crap to me.

Android blows.

Really? You could at least try to not make other apple fanboys look bad by not posting a worthless comment like that

Looks like crap... why? any basis for that at all? Do you not like it because it's not a simple grid of icons? The phone isn't one big app drawer?

post #75 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

what percent of the existing hardware running android will be able to upgrade?

I can't answer that question exactly but here's something to consider, straight from Google themselves.

How long has 2.3 been out? Over a year at this point? There are still more users on 2.2 and 2.1 combined. I'm thinking the pace of uptake on 4 is going to be glacial at best.

Or we can paraphrase George Carlin: Android users upgrade like old people f**k: slow and sloppy.
post #76 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

I can't answer that question exactly but here's something to consider, straight from Google themselves.

How long has 2.3 been out? Over a year at this point? There are still more users on 2.2 and 2.1 combined. I'm thinking the pace of uptake on 4 is going to be glacial at best.

Or we can paraphrase George Carlin: Android users upgrade like old people f**k: slow and sloppy.

Also from Google: http://phandroid.com/2011/10/19/nexu...apable-device/

Also keep in mind Cyanogenmod 9. With the SDK out, they are busy developing ICS for over 60 Android phones.

99% of Android phones have a 2.2 option at this point. Even the G1 can get 2.3

post #77 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Duarte's face wasn't recognized.. Too much make-up? Or just ugly?

I think he should have shaved in the morning after all.
post #78 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Video: Playback and recording at 1080p (30fps, MPEG-4/h.263/h.264)

So, um, whatever happened to "open" webM?
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #79 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Let's wait to see how it works in real life before trashing it in a demo.

A demo could be great and turn out to severely limited in real life. Just look at how limited Siri is turning out to be internationally.

And don't forget the great new superior camera that, when tested against the android phones, did not do so good as expected. Outperformed by the Galaxy S II and HTC Sensation in video, and by Galaxy S II and T-Mobile MyTouch Slide 4G in still images. ANd this doesn't include the recently releaseed Sony's Xperia Ray which is regarded as the best of the Android cameras (although not tested side by side yet)

"Smartphone Camera Battle: iPhone 4S vs. the Android Elite"

http://www.pcworld.com/article/24195...oid_elite.html
post #80 of 175
Absolutely spectacular hardware for sure, a generation at least ahead of the iPhone 4S. Ice Cream Sandwich looks interesting too, but Android is still lacking many apps for me.

I hope high end stuff like this spurs Apple into action next time. They can't afford to push out another lazy minor spec bump.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google, Samsung unveil Galaxy Nexus phone running Android 4.0