or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs worked on Apple's 'next product' the day before he died

Steve Jobs worked on Apple's 'next product' the day before he died - Page 2

post #41 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangcookie View Post

Let's see... you can spend your last days doing what you love AND spending time with your family. By doing what you love, you're not contemplating that these are your last days. So you're busy living, not dying. Clearly you disagree with this premise. I say: piss off.

What a douche-bag... congrats and piss off yourself
post #42 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post

Could have spent the time with his family...

Agreed. Granted, if he didn't know he was dying (like his death this sudden was a surprise) I respect his tenacity and pushing out the great products we know and love.
If was aware that his time left was very short, spending time on the iPhone 4S instead of with his family is absolutely inexcusable.
TalkAndroid anyone?
TalkAndroid anyone?
post #43 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

Likewise, anyone who has had a loved one die of cancer knows that it is extremely unlikely the patient will be placing calls during the last couple of days.

I work on a Cancer ward were a patient with Pancreatic Cancer was on the Care of the Dying Pathway. I was having a normal lucid conversation with him one day, then 3 days later after my days off I came back to work were he was unconscious and in the end stage of life. He passed away 2 days later.

So in the space of 5 days he went from having all of his faculties to passing away, he was in his 40's.

There's a possibility that Steve Jobs may have been actively engaged in working especially if he chose not to take any powerful pain killers. Some people choose not to take pain killers even when in excruciating pain because they want to be 'with it', mindful of their thoughts and self aware before succumbing to the inevitable.

I find these type of people have a very powerful sense of self and have the ability to function well in the periods were they are relatively pain free and quite close to death. Steve Jobs I would surmise was this type of person.
post #44 of 83
The people who are being condescending about not spending all his time with his family at the end are ignorant.

First off, it's impossible for one to know exactly when they are going to die. Second, it's obvious that Steve had great passion for his work, and to deny one the ability to do what they love is pretty much a death sentence.

I have no doubt that him and his family had already come to terms with the way he chose to live his life a long time ago.

If you truly believe there is only one right way to live your life, and feel the need to bestow judgement and guilt on others who choose differently, then go join a cult or something.

post #45 of 83
It's profoundly depressing that people would seek to argue or be abusive to each other over what did or didn't happen in the last days of an amazing man's life.

I'm not sure about much in life, but of this I'm certain: Steve Jobs would not have been impressed with this sort of behaviour.
post #46 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

Agreed. Granted, if he didn't know he was dying (like his death this sudden was a surprise) I respect his tenacity and pushing out the great products we know and love.
If was aware that his time left was very short, spending time on the iPhone 4S instead of with his family is absolutely inexcusable.

i cannot put myself in the same reference, but i live and love to work, and i work to love and live. My own dedication, pulling all nighters, missing parts of a vacation, have all been made up in being on other vacations, getting out of work as i wish to see my kids soccer, or whatever -
inexcusable? - thats cos you never walked in his shoes
post #47 of 83
deleted
post #48 of 83
I tend to think it was a good-bye call.

post #49 of 83
A simple question. What makes people feel entitled to volunteer their opinions on how another person should be spending the last days of his or her life? How incredibly rude, intrusive, insensitive and disrespectful.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #50 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I agree with you, and to be honest, I hope that was the case.

Much as I admire Steve Jobs for his incredible achievements, and part of me wouldn't be that shocked if he was working right up until the end, I sincerely hope that the day before he died he was able to spend it talking with his family about good times they have shared.

I hope that's what I'm doing in my last days.....

who are in his family? what he was doing is to spend the his last minute with his family.
post #51 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is it me or is saying Steve (or someone calling on Steve's behalf) needed to speak to Cook about an important work related simply a more common response than saying Steve is on his very ill, in the hospital, or on his deathbed. Maybe I'm cynical but I think Cook just gave Son the easy answer to get off the phone to deal with a personal matter.

Or maybe he really did have to talk to Cook about something work related. The man was suffering from pain, not dementia. He could have been working on all kinds of design ideas etc and he had something he wanted to ask Tim. No tin hat needed

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #52 of 83
Quote:

Maybe working on designs etc was something that took his mind off the pain and his family was thrilled he could still work on things. Maybe they were just happy to be in the same room with him, helping him by doing any typing or recording him talking out loud about whatever popped in his head. Maybe unlike you, they didn't need to be spreading the time weeping and moaning and playing 'remember when' games.

Or maybe the whole work thing was a front and it was Steve's wife calling to let Tim know that perhaps he should call the local police to let them know that arrangement was very possible going to be needed soon, real soon.

Who knows, but who are we to judge people we don't know simply because of half assed details on a mostly rumor blog

post #53 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guava View Post

So the speculation about the next iPhone has already started.

Started with the talk about this phone. A lot of folks believed the whole teardrop was actually the 2012 phone from the first whisper

post #54 of 83
Steve was a buddist so maybe he is aggregating his consciousness somewhere for a reappearance in another form.

I'd like to think that he will be reborn as a third level mind as in EE Doc Smith's Lensman series.

Or maybe he'll be the fly on the wall or the worm in the apple or the glint in your eyes.
post #55 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

A simple question. What makes people feel entitled to volunteer their opinions on how another person should be spending the last days of his or her life? How incredibly rude, intrusive, insensitive and disrespectful.

Very true, especially considering the fact that those making these judgements are completely ignorant of the details of this very private person's life in general, let alone his last hours. Gotta say though, to display this type of arrogant insensitivity based on abject ignorance does take guts.
post #56 of 83
Quote:

True. I can imagine my own last words being "My only regret is not being able to play with Apple's next product."

Or maybe that next product is putting Steve's mind in iCloud. The first in the Technological Singularity. Steve is iCloud. Steve's Intellect Resides Inside. Seriously though, I'm gonna miss Steve's effort at Apple but at least I know his direct efforts will live on with Apple for a very long time to come. When you create something wonderful can you ever truly be gone?

Or rename Siri, Steve.
post #57 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Or rename Siri, Steve.

I would imagine that, by pulling from publicly available audio files (such as the quarterly earnings calls) and video files (keynotes, both pre- and post-firing) ALONE, there would be enough phonemes to create a Steve Jobs speech-to-text system.

Whether or not doing so is creepy being put aside, it seems completely plausible that a Steve-voiced Siri could be designed.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #58 of 83
Quote:

Or rename Siri, Steve.

I honestly feel that would be a diss-service to his character and legacy, to have him be people personal assistant and answer stupid questions.
post #59 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I would imagine that, by pulling from publicly available audio files (such as the quarterly earnings calls) and video files (keynotes, both pre- and post-firing) ALONE, there would be enough phonemes to create a Steve Jobs speech-to-text system.

Whether or not doing so is creepy being put aside, it seems completely plausible that a Steve-voiced Siri could be designed.

I'd say so... very
post #60 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

I honestly feel that would be a diss-service to his character and legacy, to have him be people personal assistant and answer stupid questions.

What if they were all one sentence answers, curt and simple?

"Yes."

"Stay tuned."

"At this point, we think the chips we use in the MacBook Pro are fine."

"Not really."

"Sorry, no."

"Nope."

post #61 of 83
You can have my dreams, my passion, and my drive when you can pry them...
post #62 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

It's profoundly depressing that people would seek to argue or be abusive to each other over what did or didn't happen in the last days of an amazing man's life.

I'm not sure about much in life, but of this I'm certain: Steve Jobs would not have been impressed with this sort of behaviour.

There are people who feel compelled to express their judgment of others, whether about Steve Jobs or other forum members. That's always going to exist on Internet forums; you just have to accept that these people are out there and that forums are a convenient way for them to express their opinions. It usually says more about them than it does the subject they are posting about.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #63 of 83
You guys have to run to buy the next Apple product because they already said it was the "last Steve product"... and then they will say Steve made more calls about the next products after the next products...
post #64 of 83
: When it is about love, it is NOT work.
post #65 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTomcat View Post

You guys have to run to buy the next Apple product because they already said it was the "last Steve product"... and then they will say Steve made more calls about the next products after the next products...

: Isn't buying Free Will?
post #66 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by aknabi View Post

What a douche-bag... congrats and piss off yourself

I was saying "piss off" to those judging how he spent his last days. Steve was entitled to both work and spend time with family. And he did. How in the heck can you not applaud that? He lived his life to the end. I assume you misunderstood the intent of what I was writing. In which case, my bad for not being clearer. Otherwise, well, don't get me started.
post #67 of 83
Quote:

You make it sound like Apple was not his family.
post #68 of 83
Quote:

Or rename Siri, Steve.

Naw. If you lost signal, your phone would bark "Don't hold it like that!"
post #69 of 83
Apple was his baby. If a loving parent is dying and they have a child who loves them the parent will be there for the child till their last breath. Steve was there not only for apple but for us till his last moments. Or should I say the day before he died. True dedication. See you at the mother ship Steve.
An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #70 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

: you always manage to be SO LOW.
: Having fun?
post #71 of 83
Steve/Apple didn't let much slip about his critical condition until after the fact. Maybe this was just another part of that. Not to pooh pooh on this, but IMO its better to think he spent all day with his family anyways.
post #72 of 83
I think what people fail to recognise is the fact that Steve would have invited Tim to his home that day, Tim would have been wearing a shirt and jeans while sitting down in Steve's bedroom. It's not like Steve was driving off to Apple HQ to meet Tim.

I mean, if I had an Insanely Great® idea on my deathbed for a product that would affect millions of people, I'd desperately want to call the CEO and tell him what I wanted to say.

True dedication.
post #73 of 83
Quote:

I'm quite sure it's been widely reported that he had been at home most of the previous few weeks prior to his passing. But don't let that stop you from taking a swipe.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #74 of 83
Quote:

Or rename Siri, Steve.

No, too creepy. It would remind me of the Dixie Flatline (McCoy Pauley) with his "machine-gun laughter".
post #75 of 83
Not that it really matters, but I think it is highly unlikely that Tim Cook went to talk to Steve Jobs about a project. The call was almost certainly to inform TIm Cook that the end was now very, very near. Having seen patients die of cancer, including pancreatic cancer, I highly doubt he was in that good a shape 24 hours before he passed.

Nonetheless, Steve Jobs worked closer up to his death productively than most people would likely ever be capable of. Incredible discipline! Even at his last appearance, I think it was before the Cupertino city presenting the new building, he was likely already incredibly sick, and just held it together phenomenally.

Lastly, I thought it was curious that during the 4S announcement, all of the executives wore a black T-shirt under their usual garb, when previously they have not. This seemed me to be already an expression of mourning, or subtle tribute to SJ and his black turtleneck.

What a sad month, it almost feels like a close friend or family member died, even though I never met Steve.
post #76 of 83
Quote:

Is it me or is saying Steve (or someone calling on Steve's behalf) needed to speak to Cook about an important work related simply a more common response than saying Steve is on his very ill, in the hospital, or on his deathbed. Maybe I'm cynical but I think Cook just gave Son the easy answer to get off the phone to deal with a personal matter.

you're an idiot
post #77 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

I'm a newbie who apparently has no idea what the concept of 'rules' means.

Posting a perfectly logical hypothesis about the true state of affairs when the publicly stated result sounds atypical of the last 25 years of the way that Apple Computer Inc. does business?

Yep. He's certainly that word that will likely get you timed out.

post #78 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTomcat View Post

Yet another moron....
post #79 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

yet another fk'n idiot who just doesn't get it... he was with his family you moron... you self-righteous dick...
post #80 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

stfu jerk

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs worked on Apple's 'next product' the day before he died