or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple expanding iPhone availability to smaller regional US carriers

Apple expanding iPhone availability to smaller regional US carriers - Page 2

post #41 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I'm not an engineer, but how difficult/expensive would it be for Apple to add the T-Mobile USA frequency to the iPhone? You'd think they were leaving money on the table.

I have a feeling that it has something to do with AT&T acquisition. If AT&T acquisition of T-Mobile is approved, which will happen eventually, there is no reason for an iPhone on T-Mobile.
post #42 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Even if the Galaxy Nexus was a world mode phone supporting all UMTS bands, including AWS, with CDMA and LTE it's not a good comparison when you compare the internal space between these phones. I'm surprised the iPhone 4S has as much as it has in such a small design.

Another way to look at it is that the real reason so many recent Android phones have gotten super sized is that they need the space inside to hold the components of poorly engineered designs and a battery big enough to keep them running for more than 2 hours. The big screens are just camouflage and eye candy.
post #43 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post

I bet the limitation is physical. Because T-Mobile operates at a higher frequency, the antenna design on the iPhone would have to be adjusted, which would compromise it's performance at lower frequencies. And put simply, Apple doesn't want to do that.

They could release a separate model. Plenty of other companies, with much less potential sells, still do it. So the economies of scale are definitely there.

The best case - Apple is working on 42Mbps HSPA+ model for T-mobile. I doubt it though.
post #44 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

Sure didn't stop the new Google phone Galaxy Nexus which has support for all 5 frequencies which HSPA+ and LTE.

In the same model? Link?
post #45 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

first of all, if Apple had the resources to add AWS support, it would do so for LTE service on Verizon,

Funnies apology on behalf of Apple I heard so far.

LG does have resources to support T-mobile, and Apple, with $85 BILLION in cash in the bank (earning fantastic interest of 0.6%) does not?
post #46 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by peevee View Post

Funnies apology on behalf of Apple I heard so far.

LG does have resources to support T-mobile, and Apple, with $85 BILLION in cash in the bank (earning fantastic interest of 0.6%) does not?

As small as .6% is, .6% of 85B is still 510M. Half a billion in interest is nothing to sneeze at, even if it is a ridiculously low percentage
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple expanding iPhone availability to smaller regional US carriers