or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › $9.99 Pizza Special With A $455,000 A Year Topping!

$9.99 Pizza Special With A $455,000 A Year Topping!

post #1 of 11
"Herman Cain’s 9-9-9 tax plan would give every American making more than $1 million an average tax cut of $455,000, according to a new independent analysis.

All Americans with incomes above $200,000 would get tax cuts under the Republican presidential candidate’s dramatic proposal, according to the analysis by the Tax Policy Center, a joint effort of the Urban Institute and Brookings Institution, both respected center-left policy-research centers.

At the same time, those with incomes below $200,000 -- 84 percent of taxpayers -- would see their taxes increase under the Cain plan, according to the analysis, which is the first to look at precisely what would happen to different incomes under the proposal."
~ http://www.truth-out.org/cains-9-9-9...res/1319030207

And this from the The Wall Street Journal-

"The analysis by the Tax Policy Center concludes that more than 90% of people earning less than $37,090—the bottom 40% of earners—would see a tax increase under Mr. Cain's plan. It also estimated that those who earn $17,900 or less per year—the bottom 20%—would pay $1,854 more per year on average in U.S. sales taxes and income tax levies that many now are exempt from paying.

By contrast, about half of households in the top 20% of earners, with incomes greater than $111,000, would get an average tax cut of $14,400."
~ http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...370969998.html

Your thoughts.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

"Herman Cains 9-9-9 tax plan would give every American making more than $1 million an average tax cut of $455,000, according to a new independent analysis.

All Americans with incomes above $200,000 would get tax cuts under the Republican presidential candidates dramatic proposal, according to the analysis by the Tax Policy Center, a joint effort of the Urban Institute and Brookings Institution, both respected center-left policy-research centers.

At the same time, those with incomes below $200,000 -- 84 percent of taxpayers -- would see their taxes increase under the Cain plan, according to the analysis, which is the first to look at precisely what would happen to different incomes under the proposal."

"The analysis by the Tax Policy Center concludes that more than 90% of people earning less than $37,090the bottom 40% of earnerswould see a tax increase under Mr. Cain's plan. It also estimated that those who earn $17,900 or less per yearthe bottom 20%would pay $1,854 more per year on average in U.S. sales taxes and income tax levies that many now are exempt from paying.

By contrast, about half of households in the top 20% of earners, with incomes greater than $111,000, would get an average tax cut of $14,400."

Your thoughts.

I think your first link is total horseshit. It's completely biased. You'd be better served reading Cain's actual plan and analysis.

That said, I don't think 9-9-9 is the way to go. My problem with it is that it combines income taxes and sales taxes at the federal level. I'd be much more inclined to replace ALL payroll and business taxes with a flat consumption tax.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I think your first link is total horseshit. It's completely biased. You'd be better served reading Cain's actual plan and analysis.

That said, I don't think 9-9-9 is the way to go. My problem with it is that it combines income taxes and sales taxes at the federal level. I'd be much more inclined to replace ALL payroll and business taxes with a flat consumption tax.

If you give an average tax cut to those earning over a million dollars a tax of $455,000 and yet still manage to come up with the same amount of revenue, it's hardly "horseshit" to point out where that hole will be filled-

"Looked at another way, the lowest fifth would see an average tax increase of $1,854.

The second highest fifth would see an average tax increase of $3,898.

The third highest would see an average tax increase of $4,330.

The fourth would see an average tax increase of $4,299.

And the top 20 percent would see an average tax cut of $14,442."

Maybe you think it's "horseshit" for another reason. If so what?

The above in graph form- make over $150,000 a year and have no kids and mortgage and you should be ok, - http://motherjones.com/kevin-drum/20...day-cost-9-9-9
post #4 of 11
How is everyone paying the same RATE not fair?

Why is it in society's best interest to punish the high-producers?

Why is it in society's best interest to reward reduced productivity?

If you support a graduated tax system... then why don't you support just declaring a set figure, say $50k/year, and taking anything over that amount that someone might earn? (and re-distributing some of it to bring everyone else UP to 50k/year.) Why should anybody need more than that amount to live on?... it just isn't fair that any one person should EARN more than anyone else!!! We need equity across the board!!!!!! It's the only comassionate way to do this!!!!!!!! ... and it'll work! It'll fix ALL of society's problems!
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #5 of 11
Let's get this straight. There is no PUNISHMENT of high producers. That is a lie that needs to be stopped. A person who earns one dollar more than another may not get one hundred cents more out of the dollar, but they still invariably earn more. Period.
post #6 of 11
From the Washington Post:

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

"Herman Cains 9-9-9 tax plan would give every American making more than $1 million an average tax cut of $455,000, according to a new independent analysis.

All Americans with incomes above $200,000 would get tax cuts under the Republican presidential candidates dramatic proposal, according to the analysis by the Tax Policy Center, a joint effort of the Urban Institute and Brookings Institution, both respected center-left policy-research centers.

"The analysis by the Tax Policy Center concludes that more than 90% of people earning less than $37,090the bottom 40% of earnerswould see a tax increase under Mr. Cain's plan. It also estimated that those who earn $17,900 or less per yearthe bottom 20%would pay $1,854 more per year on average in U.S. sales taxes and income tax levies that many now are exempt from paying.

Your thoughts.

Who can we trust to run our country? The answer is no one which is really unfortunate.Obama I guess would be the unlikely choice again for president. Cain is a liar!
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

I have a dream, that one day people will understand that when they show information on outliers, it looks like an outlier.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I have a dream, that one day people will understand that when they show information on outliers, it looks like an outlier.

You've ignored the small detail of the tax increase on 80 percent of Americans to pay for that outlier, which is the point of this thread and the point of the graph.
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

You've ignored the small detail of the tax increase on 80 percent of Americans to pay for that outlier, which is the point of this thread and the point of the graph.

So you're saying it would be impossible to produce any other sort of odd looking chart when comparing a tenth of one percent to an entire quintile?

There's a reason it's called an outlier. I'm not ignoring anything. Drawing a conclusion from an outlier is literally using the exception for the rule. It's bad reasoning.

post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

I guess the 99%'s wouldn't think much of 9-9-9? Maybe Cain really meant his 0.999% plan.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › $9.99 Pizza Special With A $455,000 A Year Topping!