or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung's new Galaxy Nexus designed to bypass Apple patents

Samsung's new Galaxy Nexus designed to bypass Apple patents

post #1 of 114
Given Samsung's series of patent infringement lawsuits with Apple, the company's new flagship Galaxy Nexus handset has reportedly been designed specifically to avoid potentially infringing on iPhone-related patents.

Samsung mobile president Shin Jong-kyun revealed his company's approach when speaking with reporters this week following the unveiling of the Galaxy Nexus, according to Yonhap News Agency. He said Samsung will "avoid everything and take patents very seriously."

He went on to say that though Samsung took great pains to avoid any potential patent infringement with the Google Nexus, he could not be certain that the phone will be "100 percent free" of lawsuits from Apple.

Samsung and Apple are engaged in a series of patent infringement lawsuits around the world. Shin said he believes the legal battle is only starting, and he expects it to continue for a "considerable" amount of time.

"I don't think there is much gain (from lawsuits against Apple)," he reportedly said. "What we are losing is the pride in our brand."

Google and Samsung held an event on Tuesday to show off the new Galaxy Nexus smartphone running Android 4.0, dubbed "Ice Cream Sandwich." The phone sports a contoured 4.65-inch Super HD AMOLED display with a resolution of 1,280 by 720 pixels, and is powered by a 1.2GHz dual-core processor.

The phone was originally set to be unveiled last week, but Google and Samsung delayed the event, saying they did so out of respect for the death of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs. The Nexus S will launch in the U.S., Europe and Asia in November.

Samsung recently filed a series of lawsuits across the globe accusing Apple of patent infringement and attempting to bar sales of the company's newly launched iPhone 4S. So far, Samsung has not successfully managed to ban sales of any Apple devices, while courts in Germany and Australia have sided with Apple and barred sales of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.
post #2 of 114
Snap.Crackle.Pop.
post #3 of 114
Samsung, that's how it should be from the beginning.
Apple had me at scrolling
Apple had me at scrolling
post #4 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Samsung, that's how it should be from the beginning.

Yeah, and now we get better designed phones. Thinking on your feet breeds innovation.
post #5 of 114
This could be considered an admission of guilt.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #6 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"I don't think there is much gain (from lawsuits against Apple)," he reportedly said. "What we are losing is the pride in our brand."

I think they lost that when they decided to start aping Apple's stuff. Then again, Samsung are hardly the only OEM getting sued by Apple at the moment.

Copying aside their new phone looks really good, although it's too far big for my liking.
post #7 of 114
He doesn't know if his new phone will be 100% free of Apple's intel prop?
Are you serious?
post #8 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I was thinking the same thing.
post #9 of 114
Quote:

Being vulnerable isn't the same as being guilty.
post #10 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

No, what you are **gaining** by not copying is pride in your brand.

Samsung is a multi-billion dollar global company, they should have dropped the blatant and shameless copying act long ago. Leave that to no-name Chinese fly-by-night factories.
post #11 of 114
Quote:

That's exactly how I read into it. The interview articles I'm reading on other news sites seem to indicate Samsung knowingly disregarded Apple's patents and figured it could just ride on Apple's back until they get momentum to do their own thing and simply write off the court battles as the cost of doing business.

I think Samsung did a very good job of damaging their brand all on their own. I certainly go out of my way to avoid directly purchasing anything from Samsung. If I could buy my iPhone with a CPU not made by Samsung, I certainly would.
post #12 of 114
Quote:

Wow. You bet. They don't listen to their lawyers, who would have told them to keep their mouths shut, and just release the phone - let others make comments about Samsung (supposedly) bypassing Apple's patents.

I can just see the judge getting handed exhibit A (if it really exists, of course) - written comments from Samsung's management on "taking patents seriously from now on".

Love to see the judge's response on continuing patent cases before the bench.
post #13 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

He doesn't know if his new phone will be 100% free of Apple's intel prop?
Are you serious?

To be fair, its really hard to know if you are infringing on something or not.

OTOH, in the past, at least, Samsung has been quite blatant and deliberate. And the CEOs words seem to emphasize that fact.
post #14 of 114
Samsung didn't admit anything they did in the past. People here are trying too hard to read between the lines and trying to imply things this guy didn't say.

While I do think they tried very hard to copy Apple's idea, just these words won't cost them anything.
post #15 of 114
Samsung would make their brand look better by ditching the bug-haven mess known as the Android "It Just Doesn't Work" OS.
post #16 of 114
Apple should start digging and tearing down the phone. If any patents of Apple's are violated in any way, either hardware or software, then Apple should immediately sue Samsung. Samsung is suing Apple because of the iPhone 4S, and Apple should return the favor. That seems fair.
post #17 of 114
Yep, Samasung went out of their way trying not to copy the iPhone. probably why the facial recognition and another feature failed at the event. Not to mention the materials look cheap and plasticky!

Jury is still out on ICS.
post #18 of 114
Wasn't the multi-touch interface one of the patents? Did they create their own way of doing multi-touch?
post #19 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Yeah, and now we get better designed phones. Thinking on your feet breeds innovation.

Ironic. You never hear Fandroids say "Samsung/Google need competition from Apple to innovative." Mostly because they like to believe that Apple isn't competitive.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #20 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Wasn't the multi-touch interface one of the patents? Did they create their own way of doing multi-touch?

not in full...at least not everywhere.
post #21 of 114
Quote:

Not any more than saying, "I won't beat my second wife."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #22 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Ironic. You never hear Fandroids say "Samsung/Google need competition from Apple to innovative." Mostly because they like to believe that Apple isn't competitive.

What we've been saying is that we like how Apple and Google constantly one up each other software wise.

No one who matters believes Apple isn't competitive.

Stop picking fights.
post #23 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Apple should start digging and tearing down the phone. If any patents of Apple's are violated in any way, either hardware or software, then Apple should immediately sue Samsung. Samsung is suing Apple because of the iPhone 4S, and Apple should return the favor. That seems fair.

I think Samsung should drop it's suits against Apple (they may have a case but based on what I can see, they don't) Apple should focus it's efforts on Touchwhiz, tradedress, and certain Samsung hardware that so obviously infringes I'm shocked they aren't winning everything. And then, barring any insanely obvious infringement both companies should calm the fuck down.
post #24 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

That's very true. Whenever I see people praising the fact that Apple has won a patent case, people say that those who praise the favorable decision are idiots because they don't seem to want competition. Yet, if an Android manufacturer were to win the case, no one would say that people should root for competition.
post #25 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvswarup View Post

That's very true. Whenever I see people praising the fact that Apple has won a patent case, people say that those who praise the favorable decision are idiots because they don't seem to want competition. Yet, if an Android manufacturer were to win the case, no one would say that people should root for competition.

Android OEMs (Aside from Samsung in an attempt to gain leverage) don't sue like Apple does...and when they do they don't try and destroy Apple because they may infringe on some obscure patent.

People praised Apple winning a case with a drawing of a device that does not and will not exist. Though it was against Samsung, which I like, the drawing and six criteria were so basic I'm shocked one locale even respected them (others have not).

No one in Androidland (well not many people) would mind if Apple won cases against touchwhiz and the rips off of the iPhone design Samsung pushes forward. We hate Touchwhiz.
post #26 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

.... both companies should calm the fuck down.

I think that advice applies to you, on the issue of Samsung's copying.

Every time it's brought up, it's almost Pavlovian, how you seem to start bouncing around all over the place.
post #27 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think that advice applies to you, on the issue of Samsung's copying.

Every time it's brought up, it's almost Pavlovian, how you seem to be bouncing around all over the place.

Eh, I'm no Samsung fan. I think that's obvious.
post #28 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Yep, Samasung went out of their way trying not to copy the iPhone. probably why the facial recognition and another feature failed at the event. Not to mention the materials look cheap and plasticky!

Jury is still out on ICS.

Well, at least I know if my Samsung phone is dropped, it will survive... you can´t say that about iPhone 4S...
Glasses and aluminum??? Please...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elKxgsrJFhw
post #29 of 114
deleted
post #30 of 114
Quote:

What we've been saying is that we like how Apple and Google constantly one up each other software wise.

WE? You mean you speak for all Fandroids?

Quote:

Stop picking fights.

I'm not even trying to. Maybe if you weren't so sensitive...

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #31 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

Samsung didn't admit anything they did in the past. People here are trying too hard to read between the lines and trying to imply things this guy didn't say.

While I do think they tried very hard to copy Apple's idea, just these words won't cost them anything.

Actually, everyone is correct, the lawyers on Samsung side screwed up letting that statement come out. Any Lawyer or PR person will tell you never admit to anything and deny everything and make the other side prove their case.

It is no different than Bill Clinton saying he never had sex with that woman and then turning around and asked the Senate committee to define what sex is. He never once admitted wrong doing.
post #32 of 114
Why is the solution always that Apple should give in? Why do people think that Apple is the one who should just give up on their patents and get along to get along? That seems silly to me! The way to win is to crush there enemies in the dust until they stop copying, and to remove all infringing products from the market. Why the hell is that wrong?
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
post #33 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

I think they lost that when they decided to start aping Apple's stuff. Then again, Samsung are hardly the only OEM getting sued by Apple at the moment.

Copying aside their new phone looks really good, although it's too far big for my liking.

Give them a break. I've put iOS5 on my 3Gs a few days ago and notification pull-down is pretty much clean copy of Android's notifications (I'm wondering if Google tried to patent that - if they did, it might be interesting).

They all copy everything they find useful (and think they can pull out).
post #34 of 114
Quote:

It could be that Samsung copied and infringed just to bide time to stay in this level of smartphone game so they wouldn't be left so far behind. After all, if you get caught with your pants down it takes a while to come up with your own solution. Why not copy, steal and take a chance that you'll get away with it until you come up with your own *original* solution.
You talkin' to me?
You talkin' to me?
post #35 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Give them a break. I've put iOS5 on my 3Gs a few days ago and notification pull-down is pretty much clean copy of Android's notifications (I'm wondering if Google tried to patent that - if they did, it might be interesting).

If notification center infringes on google patents, then Google should sue Apple. However, I think it might be difficult to find anything in android that wasn't, it self, stolen! Good luck with that!
post #36 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

That's exactly how I read into it. The interview articles I'm reading on other news sites seem to indicate Samsung knowingly disregarded Apple's patents and figured it could just ride on Apple's back until they get momentum to do their own thing and simply write off the court battles as the cost of doing business.

I think Samsung did a very good job of damaging their brand all on their own. I certainly go out of my way to avoid directly purchasing anything from Samsung. If I could buy my iPhone with a CPU not made by Samsung, I certainly would.

I don't agree. Because, I don't think that copied-over things like iOS5 notifications are damaging Apple's brand image. If you can use others' ideas to improve experience on your product, you use them. Ignoring good solution just because someone else thought of them before you would be a sign of overblown ego, in my book at least.
post #37 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Trouble is that Samsung are competing in a market which is in a race to the bottom and punters are more interested in Android and price, than they are in Samsung.

As opposed to iPhone buyers who want to buy Apple and/or iPhone.
post #38 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Most rational comment so far.

Samsungs biggest issue was they probably didn't expect there to be a problem with copying as with a lot of these things it isn't an issue. Just look at the iPhone home screen with its grid of icons, basically looks the same as phones from 5 years before. Yet people copying the very basic design if the hardware is a massive issue.

If we had a few less bits of legal action then these devices would progress a lot faster. Its not like apple and others are short of cash and will fail due to the competition.
post #39 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTomcat View Post

Well, at least I know if my Samsung phone is dropped, it will survive... you can´t say that about iPhone 4S...
Glasses and aluminum??? Please...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elKxgsrJFhw

I agree with you here. I actually prefer my 3Gs design with curvy lines and plastic back compared to sharp edges and glass. It is so much nicer to hold in hand for me, compared to my colleagues iP4. Sure, aluminium and glass is cool, but what the heck - maybe marble or porcelain back would be even cooler, if form is the only thing we care about.
post #40 of 114
Now that is one ugly muu muu phone. And monster big, to boot. The large and extra large phones sell less than 6% of the market, are more expensive to build and one wonders what the profits might be.

I, too, will never buy anything Samsung. Cant trust the company can build anything of real quality or innovation with these plastic billings as their lead in smart phones. And what is the possibility of updates in the future? No profit in updates, is there.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung's new Galaxy Nexus designed to bypass Apple patents