or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung ships 20M smartphones, besting Apple's 17.1M iPhones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung ships 20M smartphones, besting Apple's 17.1M iPhones - Page 4

post #121 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Shipped != sold. Atari shipped 5 million copies of ET for their Atari 2600. Guess where nearly every copy is at now?



You do realize that reviewers consider the iPhone 4 and 4S to be fragile because of the glass front and back. I dropped (well, my toddler) my iPhone 3GS numerous times against concrete and the case suffered numerous scuffs, but still intact. If my iPhone 4S suffered the same treatment, it would likely be shattered in under week. There is a reason the industrial design did not catch on with the rest of the cell phone industry.

I've dropped mine numerous times and it has been more durable than my 3GS.

If you're worried, get a case.
post #122 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I agree and I've been saying for quite a while that Apple needs to change its game plan a bit. Just my opinion, of course, and we won't know until at least the middle of April if Apple's business model is effective enough in this fast changing smartphone game.

I really believe, though, that if Apple unveils a redesigned 4" A6 iPhone next June then Samsung will appear to be standing still. So if there is a lag between January and June I think the void will be quickly filled, especially considering that the 4S and the 4 will fall in behind the new model.

... and, Solipsism, I promise not to bring this up again until the fiscal 2Q results in April.

Eh, I'm not so sure about Apple "stepping up its game.". The company has never been a marketshare at all costs kinda player. Don't get me wrong. I am sure Apple cares about marketshare, but the moves it makes are deliberate, strategic and slower paced. Think about it. For the first time, Apple has three (3!) generations of phones for sale concurrently. Apple is also making its new phone available for a regional carrier in the US. Last year, the iPhone was available on ONE carrier in the US. Apple is prepping for growth. It's just not trying to grow faster than people want them to.
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
Reply
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
Reply
post #123 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

Eh, I'm not so sure about Apple "stepping up its game.". The company has never been a marketshare at all costs kinda player. Don't get me wrong. I am sure Apple cares about marketshare, but the moves it makes are deliberate, strategic and slower paced. Think about it. For the first time, Apple has three (3!) generations of phones for sale concurrently. Apple is also making its new phone available for a regional carrier in the US. Last year, the iPhone was available on ONE carrier in the US. Apple is prepping for growth. It's just not trying to grow faster than people want them to.

... but, Apple could be wrong. It happens. A miscalculation here... a faulty product intro there... and if you are already behind...

We're only in the second inning, though, from what I can see... and Apple has a helluva lineup.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #124 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by macspotter View Post

The Samsung Galaxy S II was recently crowned 'best smartphone 2011' in the Netherlands (go figure what the dutchies were smoking).

I never saw it in real life, but just happened to stumble upon one this morning. My response: WTF, is this what all the hubbub is about? What a nintendo-cloning-piece-of-rubbish'! It's even worse than any HTC brick. Flimsy plastics that give when you ever so slightly squeeze the thing; way over the top brightness and contrast; no balance in weight; no craftsmanship; no... well nothing. Everything about this thing screams CHEAP, I'M CHEAP!

Even if it carries the 'smartphone' moniker, this is in no way competition for the iPhone (3GS, 4 or 4S). At best it's the first stop in the race to the bottom.

If this is the best Samesung can bring, I'm not worried. At all.


(Yes, I'm Dutch, and currently ever so slightly ashamed of it )



Well I'm a long time Iphone user I've had every iphone except the 4S. We currently have 3 iphone 4 on our account I was the fourth but last week I bought a Samsung Galaxy S2. Yes its light and feels oh so fragile
In my hands but I actually like it as much as I did my iphone 4. Of course the iphone has features I liked but so does the SGS2 and Android. I'm very happy with my purchase and I'm glad I've given Android a shot. For the record I wanted an iphone 5 not a 4S I wanted a bigger screen and new form factor. Apple disnt offer that this year so I got my wish list fulfilled by Samsung.
post #125 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... but, Apple could be wrong. It happens. A miscalculation here... a faulty product intro there... and if you are already behind...

We're only in the second inning, though, from what I can see... and Apple has a helluva lineup.

Definitely true, but based on its course so far with so many right decision, it would need to have one helluva screw up to get off course. Also, you say "already behind." one quarter of sales is just one point of measure out of many in regards to business/platform health. It's not behind in profit. It's not behind in mindshare nor customer satisfaction. Technology? That gets a bit more subjective but many don't think it's behind on that front.
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
Reply
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
Reply
post #126 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

This is impressive??

They sell at least 23 models, from the good, to the bad, to the ugly.

Now, if it was just two models of the Galaxy S, that would be impressive. But as it stands, all this is is Android market-flood.

Remember: Apple achieves what they do with only one or at most two models of phones. Not over 20. Apple doesn't ship low-end bare-bones commodity-ware.

I found 68 Samsung Galaxy models:-

http://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3...samsung+galaxy
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #127 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemeses View Post

Well I'm a long time Iphone user I've had every iphone except the 4S. We currently have 3 iphone 4 on our account I was the fourth but last week I bought a Samsung Galaxy S2. Yes its light and feels oh so fragile
In my hands but I actually like it as much as I did my iphone 4. Of course the iphone has features I liked but so does the SGS2 and Android. I'm very happy with my purchase and I'm glad I've given Android a shot. For the record I wanted an iphone 5 not a 4S I wanted a bigger screen and new form factor. Apple disnt offer that this year so I got my wish list fulfilled by Samsung.

... and that, in a nutshell, is my thinking about the 4S.

It satisfies a good number of people, no doubt, but if you want to also get those people sitting on the fence then you have to offer the 4S+. Why not go after both crowds.

I'm sure Apple realizes this and I have every reason to believe that if push came to shove Apple could rear up on its hind legs and crush the competition.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #128 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemeses View Post

Well I'm a long time Iphone user I've had every iphone except the 4S. We currently have 3 iphone 4 on our account I was the fourth but last week I bought a Samsung Galaxy S2. Yes its light and feels oh so fragile
In my hands but I actually like it as much as I did my iphone 4. Of course the iphone has features I liked but so does the SGS2 and Android. I'm very happy with my purchase and I'm glad I've given Android a shot. For the record I wanted an iphone 5 not a 4S I wanted a bigger screen and new form factor. Apple disnt offer that this year so I got my wish list fulfilled by Samsung.

I've found that they can lag quite a lot and that the screen doesn't always respond the way I intend it to, applications opening when the screen should be swiping, things like that can be annoying.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #129 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

Definitely true, but based on its course so far with so many right decision, it would need to have one helluva screw up to get off course. Also, you say "already behind." one quarter of sales is just one point of measure out of many in regards to business/platform health. It's not behind in profit. It's not behind in mindshare nor customer satisfaction. Technology? That gets a bit more subjective but many don't think it's behind on that front.

I'm not talking about Samsung's quarter... I'm talking about Android's share in general.... but I agree, as noted from my comment.... Apple is a long way from having to worry about anything at this point.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #130 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

At the end of the day, Samsung did sell more smartphones than Apple. Would Samsung sell less units have they decided to have only one new model a year? Would Apple sell more units but less specific models have they decided to release more models every year? I think that is quite pointless exercise.

Yes, of course you are correct.

But what you miss is that the complaints flow from a deeper source - the need for the situation to be "many against one". It is an old, old complaint, with origins in the early days of the Mac, or perhaps even earlier.
post #131 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by macspotter View Post

The Samsung Galaxy S II was recently crowned 'best smartphone 2011' in the Netherlands (go figure what the dutchies were smoking).

I never saw it in real life, but just happened to stumble upon one this morning. My response: WTF, is this what all the hubbub is about? What a nintendo-cloning-piece-of-rubbish'! It's even worse than any HTC brick. Flimsy plastics that give when you ever so slightly squeeze the thing; way over the top brightness and contrast; no balance in weight; no craftsmanship; no... well nothing. Everything about this thing screams CHEAP, I'M CHEAP!

Even if it carries the 'smartphone' moniker, this is in no way competition for the iPhone (3GS, 4 or 4S). At best it's the first stop in the race to the bottom.

If this is the best Samesung can bring, I'm not worried. At all.


(Yes, I'm Dutch, and currently ever so slightly ashamed of it )

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I've found that they can lag quite a lot and that the screen doesn't always respond the way I intend it to, applications opening when the screen should be swiping, things like that can be annoying.

I can agree with the lag but for me a heavy texter its the keyboard. Ive downloaded the iphone keyboard this helps with the psychological aspect of things after looking at the iphone keyboard for so long. But you do need to be deliberate with your gestures, android isn't slick like IOS. Nevertheless I still find it stimulating using Android because its a new experience and not second nature like my iphone had become. I just hope that a update fixes some of the bugs. My iphone was jailbroken so I had my experiences with buggy applications this feels like that on a bigger scale. Personally I can see what the Android people like and I know what IOS offers. Both are good just diffrent, if Apple increases the screen size on the next phone ill switch back.
post #132 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Samsung has managed to sell over 30 million units of both Galaxy S and S II (cumulatively) . . . since their introduction in 2010.


It takes Apple little more than two quarters to sell what Samsung in this case took 1 year and 7 months to do.

Now here's some perspective: Apple sold 4 million iPhone 4Ses in the span of a weekend.

What's your point?

I'll give you a clue - When a post contains a selective quoting of another posters comments, they just might be replying to it.
post #133 of 143
Umm...can we compare the sales to just the Galaxy S line? If those are pushing that much then Apple's screwed.
post #134 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Umm...can we compare the sales to just the Galaxy S line? If those are pushing that much then Apple's screwed.

1) I would like to know how much sell through asamsung has, not just channel stuffing.

2) I would like to know what Samsung defines as a smartphone. Android-based devices will be on tomorow's feature phone... or that started already.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #135 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Umm...can we compare the sales to just the Galaxy S line? If those are pushing that much then Apple's screwed.

That's exactly what those figures are - the Galaxy S and S 2 sales figures: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...&postcount=103

But in no way is Apple in trouble, they just have healthy competition.
post #136 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

That's exactly what those figures are - the Galaxy S and S 2 sales figures: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...&postcount=103

But in no way is Apple in trouble, they just have healthy competition.

Quote:
Speaking of the latest generation Galaxy S handset, Galaxy S II is the fastest selling smartphone in Samsungs history that broke 10 million sales figure in just 5 months.

But, uh, I thought a quarter is 3 months. 17 million iPhones vs 10 million GSII's is pretty damn good.

I love my Galaxy S and 4S

My mom is loving the 4S, she's like "oh, it reminds me so much of the galaxy s! (she loves that phone)." My two fav companies so far.
post #137 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemeses View Post

Well I'm a long time Iphone user I've had every iphone except the 4S. We currently have 3 iphone 4 on our account I was the fourth but last week I bought a Samsung Galaxy S2. Yes its light and feels oh so fragile
In my hands but I actually like it as much as I did my iphone 4. Of course the iphone has features I liked but so does the SGS2 and Android. I'm very happy with my purchase and I'm glad I've given Android a shot. For the record I wanted an iphone 5 not a 4S I wanted a bigger screen and new form factor. Apple disnt offer that this year so I got my wish list fulfilled by Samsung.

Uh-huh. Right. You don't sound at all like those social media marketing companies that seed "opinion posts" around the web and facebook for your corporate clients.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #138 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Shipped != sold. Atari shipped 5 million copies of ET for their Atari 2600. Guess where nearly every copy is at now?

I believe they buried them in the Nevada desert.
post #139 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by neosum View Post

I believe they buried them in the Nevada desert.

I heard that's what Hell is fueled by....
post #140 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

I heard that's what Hell is fueled by....

I heard that hell was running low on fuel... fortunately for them RIM came to the rescue...
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #141 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I heard that hell was running low on fuel... fortunately for them RIM came to the rescue...

I think Blackberry has plenty to fuel...considering they have a bigger markeshare in our solar system....
post #142 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

"Siri set up a meeting between Won-Pyo Hong and Shin Jong-kyun"

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #143 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

I think Blackberry has plenty to fuel...considering they have a bigger markeshare in our solar system....

"Outage now impacting users on almost every planet"

Classic news reporting.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung ships 20M smartphones, besting Apple's 17.1M iPhones