or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Did We Assassinate Gaddafi?

Did We Assassinate Gaddafi? - Page 2

post #41 of 58
Bill Maher shows exactly how the left have become more authoritarian and hypocritical.

Put a Republican in office, and you get this......

MAHER DAYS AFTER 9/11: We have been the cowards. Lobbing cruise missiles from two thousand miles away. That's cowardly. Staying in the airplane when it hits the building. Say what you want about it. Not cowardly.

Make it Obama in 2011 with a drone and you get this response...

BILL MAHER, HOST: Since 2005, I think, the number of drone missions has gone up by something like 1200 percent, and for good reason. You know, we can do it a lot cheaper. It’s cheaper, we can get closer to the target and therefore kill less civilians. They can stay up longer. I'm sold. I'm going down to the dealership tomorrow. I'm hoping they have a hybrid.

JOSHUA GREEN, BLOOMBERG: It was apparently a drone that got Gaddafi, or got Gaddafi’s convoy and sent him scurrying, scurrying into a hole.

MAHER: And I’ve heard people say, “Well, this is not good because, you know, this is like a video game.” Good. Why is that a bad thing that it’s like a video game? I don’t understand why it’s a bad thing. I know the argument is, “Well, you know, it makes us more likely to go to war if we don't have to, you know, risk our troops.” How could we be more likely to go to war than we've already been?

So in summary, if you lob cruise missiles, you are a coward because you are doing it from a thousand miles away. You make it a drone where there is zero troop risk and where murder becomes a videogame, but there's a Democrat in office and not only is it proper and brave, but we should throw even more money at it.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #42 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Iraq did attack the United States...multiple times and in multiple ways.

Pants on fire.
Quote:
We've been through this.

Yes we have. And you are still lying, so I have no doubt we'll go through this again.
post #43 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Bill Maher shows exactly how the left have become more authoritarian and hypocritical.

Put a Republican in office, and you get this......

MAHER DAYS AFTER 9/11: We have been the cowards. Lobbing cruise missiles from two thousand miles away. That's cowardly. Staying in the airplane when it hits the building. Say what you want about it. Not cowardly.

Make it Obama in 2011 with a dron and you get this response...

BILL MAHER, HOST: Since 2005, I think, the number of drone missions has gone up by something like 1200 percent, and for good reason. You know, we can do it a lot cheaper. Its cheaper, we can get closer to the target and therefore kill less civilians. They can stay up longer. I'm sold. I'm going down to the dealership tomorrow. I'm hoping they have a hybrid.

JOSHUA GREEN, BLOOMBERG: It was apparently a drone that got Gaddafi, or got Gaddafis convoy and sent him scurrying, scurrying into a hole.

MAHER: And Ive heard people say, Well, this is not good because, you know, this is like a video game. Good. Why is that a bad thing that its like a video game? I dont understand why its a bad thing. I know the argument is, Well, you know, it makes us more likely to go to war if we don't have to, you know, risk our troops. How could we be more likely to go to war than we've already been?

So in summary, if you lob cruise missiles, you are a coward because you are doing it from a thousand miles away. You make it a drone where there is zero troop risk and where murder becomes a videogame, but there's a Democrat in office and not only is it proper and brave, but we should throw even more money at it.

Maher is on the wrong side of this issue. On both counts.
post #44 of 58
Libya's liberation: interim ruler unveils more radical than expected plans for Islamic law

Quote:
Mustafa Abdul-Jalil, the chairman of the National Transitional Council and de fact president, had already declared that Libyan laws in future would have Sharia, the Islamic code, as its "basic source".

But that formulation can be interpreted in many ways - it was also the basis of Egypt's largely secular constitution under President Hosni Mubarak, and remains so after his fall.

Mr Abdul-Jalil went further, specifically lifting immediately, by decree, one law from Col. Gaddafi's era that he said was in conflict with Sharia - that banning polygamy.

In a blow to those who hoped to see Libya's economy integrate further into the western world, he announced that in future bank regulations would ban the charging of interest, in line with Sharia. "Interest creates disease and hatred among people," he said.

Gulf states like the United Arab Emirates, and other Muslim countries, have pioneered the development of Sharia-compliant banks which charge fees rather than interest for loans but they normally run alongside western-style banks.

In the first instance, interest on low-value loans would be waived altogether, he said.

Libya is already the most conservative state in north Africa, banning the sale of alcohol. Mr Abdul-Jalil's decision - made in advance of the introduction of any democratic process - will please the Islamists who have played a strong role in opposition to Col Gaddafi's rule and in the uprising but worry the many young liberal Libyans who, while usually observant Muslims, take their political cues from the West.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #45 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Pants on fire.

Yes we have. And you are still lying, so I have no doubt we'll go through this again.

Seriously. Those lies were exposed long ago. It's not surprising that SDW never cared to either educate himself of those facts or continues to live in staunch denial.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #46 of 58
From the video it looks like at the very least Gaddafi was alive after the drone strike. He fell victim to his victims. Chalk it up to bad charma. Chickens coming home to roost? Gross miscarriage of justice under the Geneva Convention?

We just need AI to denounce the Libyan Freedom fighters. Wait that will only happen if they are republican.
post #47 of 58
Hooray for Libyan Democracy!

How long until women start getting stoned, due to the modern and civilized Sharia laws?
post #48 of 58
What you haven't seen/heard from the mainstream media about Libya:

http://youtu.be/RFvpfkUyBqE

post #49 of 58
Quote:

Pants on fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Seriously. Those lies were exposed long ago. It's not surprising that SDW never cared to either educate himself of those facts or continues to live in staunch denial.

Yes, it's all lies. Targeting and firing on aircraft in the no-fly nearly every day. Plotting to assassinate a former President. Openly praising 9/11. All lies.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #50 of 58
Quote:

Yes, it's all lies. Targeting and firing on aircraft in the no-fly nearly every day. Plotting to assassinate a former President. Openly praising 9/11. All lies.

I agree.

Iraq was in severe violation of their cease fire agreement. They totally broke it and constantly fired upon our aircraft, that right there is an act of war. When an enemy who has lost a war signs an agreement, they should be held fully accountable. Primitive dictators in the mideast are not immune from accountability. I supported Iraq being invaded back during the first Gulf War, it's too bad that it didn't happen back then and the coalition let Saddam remain in power. Delaying it only led to the inevitable, and the US had to come back and finish the job years later.

I couldn't care less about WMD's, there were plenty of great reasons to attack Iraq. Apparently, cease-fire agreements mean nothing to liberals and to dictators. And Americans getting shot at also means nothing to liberals.
post #51 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Hooray for Libyan Democracy!

How long until women start getting stoned, due to the modern and civilized Sharia laws?

Good question, which leads to another. Is Lybia really better without Gaddafi? Who planted the seeds of dissent and why we're they planted?
post #52 of 58
Quote:

...aircraft in the no-fly...

Uh-huh.
post #53 of 58
Quote:

Plotting to assassinate a former President. Openly praising 9/11. All lies.

Most certainly never proven on those two. And the second one is not a crime in anyone's book. Is that all you've got? Those things that you've cited ate reason to go to war?

The world is run by fools with trigger happy hands.
post #54 of 58
Quote:

Most certainly never proven on those two. And the second one is not a crime in anyone's book. Is that all you've got? Those things that you've cited ate reason to go to war?

The world is run by fools with trigger happy hands.

What? Never proven? You've got to be kidding.

Really.
post #55 of 58
Quote:

What? Never proven? You've got to be kidding.

Really.

"Some of the suspects reportedly confessed that the Iraqi Intelligence Service (IIS ) was behind the assassination attempt."

Well, that's good enough for me! Thanks for the clarification. Yep, I'm a stupid asshole who takes the official position up the ass without raising an eyebrow just like anyone else who thinks this is "proof" is.

So. You ignored my question. Is that enough in your book to call for the unilateral attack on a sovereign nation against popular international consensus (and you're not going to lie about that again, are you?)
post #56 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

We just need AI to denounce the Libyan Freedom fighters. Wait that will only happen if they are republican.

Libyan Freedom Fighters.

Oh, its them again. Now we're on their side.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #57 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

Oh, its them again. Now we're on their side.

Not me. I've been against them since the beginning.
post #58 of 58
Quote:

"Some of the suspects reportedly confessed that the Iraqi Intelligence Service (IIS ) was behind the assassination attempt."

Well, that's good enough for me! Thanks for the clarification. Yep, I'm a stupid asshole who takes the official position up the ass without raising an eyebrow just like anyone else who thinks this is "proof" is.

I'm not going to re-litigate this or try to convince beyond some standard of reasonable doubt. You said those points were unproven and at least implied they were lies. I showed you that there is a good deal of support for both. Additionally, tour own bias against the war has caused you to ignore the other points of evidence in the articles. That is, unless you're just being intellectually dishonest again.

Quote:

So. You ignored my question.

That wasn't my intention. Now, sorry to deconstruct this so much, but it's going to be necessary on this one:

Quote:
Is that enough in your book to call for the unilateral attack

First, it wasn't unilateral. So kindly stop lying. Secondly, the answer to the the question is "I'm not sure." Those weren't the only reasons to say the least. Taking them alone...probably not.

Quote:
on a sovereign nation

That is such a weaselly, sanctimonious term when used on this context. All nations are "sovereign." Man, you lefties LOVE this term. It conveys the sense that poor little Iraq and poor Sammy Hussein were just sitting around minding their own business until Big Bad Warmonger George Bush came along and decided to beat someone up. Please.

Quote:

against popular international consensus (and you're not going to lie about that again, are you?)

Who gives a shit about "popular international consensus?" You certainly don't...not when that consensus is that Iraq violated multiple UN resolutions and possessed WMDS. And yes, tonton, that was the "international consensus."
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Did We Assassinate Gaddafi?