or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Steve Jobs vowed to 'destroy' Google Android, called it a 'stolen product'

Steve Jobs vowed to 'destroy' Google Android, called it a 'stolen product' - Page 2

post #41 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

Android 4.0 Revamped UI, the Dock, Folder and Folder Creation, Camera from Lock Screen..OMG

Don't forget Reader, from Safari.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #42 of 372
This is interesting:

Quote:
He called Jonathan Ive, Apple's design chief, his "spiritual partner" at Apple. He told Isaacson that Ive had "more operation power" at Apple than anyone besides Jobs himself -- that there's no one at the company who can tell Ive what to do. That, says Jobs, is "the way I set it up."

Ive is the new Jobs?
post #43 of 372
Also the cases against Samsung mentioned were specifically against Samsung and not against Android itself...worth noting.
post #44 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Hardly. You should read a little before you comment on a subject that you know nothing about.

I have- volumes. You on the other hand make accusatory statements but don't clarify your position. Obviously you have no idea what you're talking about.
post #45 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Don't forget Reader, from Safari.

Really now? Apple owns offline web pages?

Also camera from lockscreen existed in 3rd party apps before iOS 5...cannot be called an Apple invention simply because they integrated it into stock iOS
post #46 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

No, because Picasso was referring to trying something new .....

You're dignifying this iKol person's uninformed drivel!?
post #47 of 372
We can argue whether the “theft” was a good thing for the world—and if someone makes a truly great Android variant (Amazon? someone?) that is truly different from Apple (not just the occasional spec bullet point or clever UI detail) then that’s going to look a lot like a Yes! I think it could happen, and I hope it does.

But theft it was, from Steve’s understandable view. It truly was not Google innovation, but Google copying. (The way they’ve copied lots of popular things, always aiming to control the world’s ad space, which is their life blood.) The level of unique and original innovation Apple built on top of Xerox’s foundation was revolutionary. What Google built by mimicking iPhone? Not nearly as different, not nearly as revolutionary. Still a good way to sell users to advertisers, though!
post #48 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Really now? Apple owns offline web pages?

Also camera from lockscreen existed in 3rd party apps before iOS 5...cannot be called an Apple invention simply because they integrated it into stock iOS

Nope, just that it appeared in Safari in iOS 5, then again it is based on Apple's open source Webkit.
post #49 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKol View Post

I have- volumes. You on the other hand make accusatory statements but don't clarify your position. Obviously you have no idea what you're talking about.

Why should I take the time to educate you? Go back to your "volumes" is the best advice I can give.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #50 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Why should I take the time to educate you? Go back to your "volumes" is the best advice I can give.

Right and go back to your barn is the best advice I can give you.
post #51 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Hard to disagree with Mr. Jobs on this one.

I bow my head in silent contemplation, reflecting on the life and wisdom of Steve Jobs.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #52 of 372
Quote:

Not for nothing...but Steve Jobs was not a prophet and has been shown to be a bit ego-maniacal at times...take that into consideration.

Not for nothing....accomplish what he's accomplished. Take that into consideration.

He may not be a prophet but he's certainly a deity to millions.

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

post #53 of 372
Quote:

Also the cases against Samsung mentioned were specifically against Samsung and not against Android itself...worth noting.

One step at a time...

post #54 of 372
Why do I get the feeling that I'm going to be reading references to these comments from belligerent crazed android fanboys from now until the end of eternity.

Apple is out to get android! They can't innovate so they litigate! We have proof! The iPhone wasnt original anyway, there had been phones before, and touch screens before, Prada, blah blah, you can't patent touching things, apple evil, blah blah blah, all they do is sue, Steve jobs said so...
post #55 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Not for nothing....accomplish what he's accomplished. Take that into consideration.

He may not be a prophet but he's certainly a deity to millions.

How is anything you said good at anything more than face value?

I can name a shitload of bad men who've done great things (not saying he's bad) doesn't make them always right.

And the fact that he's a deity to millions is a bad thing as far as I'm concerned.
post #56 of 372
Quote:

I can name a shitload of bad men who've done great things (not saying he's bad) doesn't make them always right.

And the fact that he's a deity to millions is a bad thing as far as I'm concerned.

Will we get to see the temple built in our lifetime? That's was the weirdest comment I've heard - beyond.....
Probably the last thing SJ ever wanted people to view him as.
post #57 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

Oracle hasn't (to general knowledge anyway) stolen things from Apple. Google has stolen from Oracle in addition to Apple though, that's probably what you're thinking of.

I believe that is what Red Oak is referring to.
Oracle should win their lawsuit against Google and Android should go away (As a gift to Steve).
post #58 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

I'll probably catch a lot of flak for this, but its hard for me to see eye to eye with SJ on this issue considering how different android proper is from iOS.

Now, if android came out looking like samsung's Touchwiz 3, then yeah, I would wholeheartedly agree with SJ; but as it stands, I don't see much similarity between the two.

I would agree that Android core has diverged into it's own thing in recent years (though Samsung is doing it's best to keep it as iOS-like as possible). Doesn't change the fact that it came about from Schmidt's insider knowledge, and that's what caused Jobs to be pissed off and betrayed.
post #59 of 372
Never underestimate the power of medication especially for pain to make one nasty or cranky. Who knows what else was going on - if he was having extreme reactions to medication.
post #60 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by majjo View Post

I'll probably catch a lot of flak for this, but its hard for me to see eye to eye with SJ on this issue considering how different android proper is from iOS.

Now, if android came out looking like samsung's Touchwiz 3, then yeah, I would wholeheartedly agree with SJ; but as it stands, I don't see much similarity between the two.

Absolutely! ... and those who fail to understand that Android 'proper' shares little-to-nothing with the iPhone OS/iOS other than they both happen to be mobile operating systems, are largely delusional.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #61 of 372
He's right. Remember the switcheroo that Google did to him. Sneaky.

Oh and Apple will destroy them proper and legal!
post #62 of 372
And some people on this forum have the nerve to call me a troll for constantly bashing and attacking the pile of crap that is known as Android.

At least we know who Steve Jobs agrees with!

Steve Jobs also had some nice words for Obama I read, he's done with.
post #63 of 372
The Android/iOS debacle reminds me of another case of blatant theft from Apple.

An older case… back in the early days…

"Yes, the Microsoft case, we know."

Oh, no, not that one. This case is from 1999.

eMachines' eOne. I can only IMAGINE the rage Jobs must have felt when he opened up a magazine to see THIS gaudy monstrosity staring back at him:

Apple went on to sue eMachines for everything they had, effectively ruining them. eMachines was purchased by Gateway, which was purchased by Acer.

Scan courtesy of a 1999 copy of ToyTime.com magazine that I just found in my house.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #64 of 372
Quote:

Will we get to see the temple built in our lifetime? That's was the weirdest comment I've heard - beyond.....

In other words, he was a friggin' ROCK STAR!!

He took a cold box of silicon, plastic and metal and gave it personality. Something that makes one want to, and not have to, use it.

And then took it 100 steps further and did it to a smartphone.

Go ahead, say it. He didn't invent Siri. No, but half the things Edison perfected and brought to the masses weren't invented by him, either, but you thought he was a great, inventive man when they taught you about him in school, I bet.

post #65 of 372
Quote:

Do you not understand hyperbole?
post #66 of 372
Quote:

What's the difference between Apple innovating on the Xerox mouse and Google innovating on Apple's iPhone? More Patents filed now than then? Just sayin.....

Ummmm...what did Google innovate? They took a big idea & added a few features to it. They didn't change the way people interact with devices. They didn't change anything.
http://www.designer-daily.com/androi...one-ipad-18040
post #67 of 372
Quote:

Obviously.

Here ya go zippy
http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py...d_Progress.txt
post #68 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

There's a difference between taking an existing product, examining it for its strengths, and adapting them to your own product. This is what Jobs referred to. What Schmidt did was theft of trade secrets, something explicitly illegal in the US. He used his inside knowledge of Apple's in-development products to give his own company an advantage.

If its illegal, then Apple have a very simple course of action.

Where is it?
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #69 of 372
Like the other poster I am not going to spend a lot of time explaining what can be found on plenty of reliable Internet sites, however, the big difference is Apple paid Xerox for the privilege of being inspired. Further, the GUI or the Mouse for that matter was not invented at Xerox. Back in the 1960's, Ivan Sutherland wrote a program called Sketchpad, which is created with being the forefather of the modern GUI. Doug Englebart worked for Stanford Research Institute and was inspired by Sutherland's work. Englebart made further advancements in the area of GUIs and produced the first mouse. Sutherland and Englebart were academics. For instance, Sutherland's work was done for his PhD. Englebart worked for Stanford. Unlike Google just taking Oracle and Apple's IP, Apple licensed Englebart's patents from SRI. In other words, Apple obtained permission and compensated the creator.

Some of the people that worked with Englebart later went on to work for Xerox PARC and expanded on his ideas. Jeff Raskin was a professor at Stanford, the same place Englebart worked. Both were interested in GUI interfaces.

Raskin later went on to work for Apple, and was interested in creating a GUI OS at Apple. From Raskin's work at Stanford and from knowledge of people he knew working at Xerox, he talked Jobs into arranging for a visit at PARC so Raskin could get Jobs interested in the GUI concept. Apple paid Xerox in the form of one million dollars of Apple pre-IPO stock for the visit and to be able to use ideas. Again, do you see the difference here? Apple didn't just take the idea, it paid for it. Further, if you figure out what a million dollars of Apple Pre-IPO stock would be worth today, you would understand Apple paid Xerox well.

More importantly, Xerox's GUI was running on an expense Altos computer inspired by Englebart's work, that Xerox used internally and donated a few machines to universities like Stanford. The reason Xerox didn't sell them is because the machines cost $40, 000 to build.

So, Apple's challenge was to borrow the over all concept of a GUI inspired by Xerox's work, but figure out how to sell a product for what the first Mac cost: namely $2, 450. You can bet Apple did a lot of innovating to shave $38, 000 from the cost. For instance, Xerox's mouse cost $400 to produce. Apple had to figure out how to manufacture a mouse for a mere $30 to $40 to met its desired market price. Keep in mind the Altos had 64K of memory, the Mac 128K.

Apple did as it always does borrow an idea and greatly improve upon it while compensating IP holders. Look at Apple's Siri. It bought Siri, and improved upon it. With its new Notification System, it brought on board the creator of a popular jailbroken iPhone Notification system to improve upon its deficient notification system.

Meanwhile, Google admits in internal documents it took Java without permission, and if you saw the pre iPhone version of Android, and the after version, you'd understand Google redesigned Android to emulate iOS.

What makes Google's actions particularly mean spirited is Google's CEO sat on Apple's Board while Jobs helped Google fend off Microsoft by embracing Google's products while Google's CEO used his inside position on Apple's Board to Google's advantage to undercut Apple. The sad thing is Google isn't making any real money off Android, and had it played its cards right, Apple would have further integrated Google's services into the iPhone solidifying Google's revenue base for less cost.

Quote:

What's the difference between Apple innovating on the Xerox mouse and Google innovating on Apple's iPhone? More Patents filed now than then? Just sayin.....
post #70 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexualintellectual View Post

Do you not understand hyperbole?

No, they can't comprehend. They have no idea about the Apple/Mac experience.

post #71 of 372
Quote:

So Google is the new Microsoft and Schmidt has replaced Bill Gates.
Good lord- it never ends.

Google will never do anything interesting or truly different...in that respect yes. No it never ends because it happens all the time.
post #72 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

Probably Schmidt was aware of the iPhone project and Google made the decision to purchase Android based on that. The story Google tells about Larry Page purchasing Android without Schmidt's knowledge sounds like they're trying to cover their ass.

So much for "Don't Be Evil."
post #73 of 372
Quote:

Obviously.

...you don't know very much about the topic you brought up. Do some quick research.

Tip: use your Infernetz!
post #74 of 372
Quote:

Here's a shocker for you...people are not perfect. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people that think you're an asshole. Same for me & probably most in this forum. How does that diminish his accomplishments. People are complex creatures. Grow up.
post #75 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splif View Post

Here's a shocker for you...people are not perfect. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people that think you're an asshole. Same for me & probably most in this forum. How does that diminish his accomplishments. People are complex creatures. Grow up.

I'm not diminishing his accomplishments I'm saying he isn't always right.
post #76 of 372
Quote:

I'm not diminishing his accomplishments I'm saying he isn't always right.

Who said that Steve Jobs was always right?

post #77 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The Android/iOS debacle reminds me of another case of blatant theft from Apple.

Apple went on to sue eMachines for everything they had, effectively ruining them. eMachines was purchased by Gateway, which was purchased by Acer.

Scan courtesy of a 1999 copy of ToyTime.com magazine that I just found in my house.

That is pretty... pretty blatant that is. I'm sure Microsoft trolls would've defended it with "So Apple owns translucent plastic now?"

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #78 of 372
Damn, you people sure are feeding the trolls tonight.
post #79 of 372
Quote:

You're being deliberately obtuse. Point is simply because he said something doesn't mean it's true.
post #80 of 372
Quote:

Men of straw

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Steve Jobs vowed to 'destroy' Google Android, called it a 'stolen product'
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Steve Jobs vowed to 'destroy' Google Android, called it a 'stolen product'