or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Amazon to add HTML5 support to Kindle content
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amazon to add HTML5 support to Kindle content

post #1 of 43
Thread Starter 
Amazon on Friday announced a new HTML5-based e-book format called Kindle Format 8 (KF8), that will allow publishers to create content with rich formatting and advanced design elements tailored to the companys tablet and e-reader lines.

Kindle Format 8 vs Mobi 7

The company describes KF8 as a better alternative to the current Mobi 7 standard, allowing publishers to create great-looking books in genres that require rich formatting, such as childrens picture books, comics and graphic novels.

KF8 will offer publishers access to over 150 formatting features including HTML5 and CSS3, however video and audio are not among the supported HTML tags and CSS elements listed on Amazons website. Though the company mentions a variety of elements that will help publishers create Kindle Books that readers will love, including high-resolution color, sidebars, Scalable Vector Graphics, CSS selectors, text on background images and more.

Writers will initially be limited to publishing e-books in KF8 for Amazon's Kindle Fire tablet, with the support for the new format coming to the company's entire 2011 lineup of Kindle readers in the coming months. The new format will also be compatible with existing Kindle desktop and mobile applications including the Kindle app (iTunes link) for iPhone and iPad.

Upcoming and existing devices and apps will still be able to access content created using Mobi 7. To ensure backwards compatibility, Kindle Publisher Tools will let content creators automatically convert KF8 e-books into the legacy format.



KF8 will be available as an update to Kindle Publisher Tools, which also includes the updates to KindleGen 2 and Kindle Previewer 2, which will allow publishers to create and view HTML, XHTML and EPUB content.



Apple, HTML5, iBooks & Kindle

In contrast to the new KF8 format, Apples iBooks publishing system only supports EPUB content and PDF files. EPUB is a free, open e-book standard that has been criticized in the past for having limitations with e-books requiring complex page layout and rich formatting, features that HTML5 excels at.

The iOS Kindle app received a major update in late Jun. 2010 which brought video and audio support to iPhone and iPad Kindle e-books, features that were not available to Amazon Kindle devices at the time.

Apple encourages content providers to use the web standard when creating rich online content instead of proprietary formats. In a memorable open letter published in late Apr. 2010, the late Steve Jobs clarified why Apples mobile devices do not support Flash.

Although Apple has been a long-time supporter of HTML5, it has yet to add support to its iBooks publishing system.
post #2 of 43
iPad wanna be. You can try all you want to make an iPad clone. I would suspect that some day there will be a close success to the iPad. Its just a matter of time. Any way I love my iPad and have gotten so used to it that I have come to see it as a part of myself. I kinda tale it for granted. I have the iPad 1 and I like the feel of it better than the iPad2. The iPad 1 seems heavier and build more sturdy. I just regret it doesn't have the Camera.
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #3 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Amazon on Friday announced a new HTML5-based e-book format called Kindle Format 8 (KF8), that will allow publishers to create content with rich formatting and advanced design elements tailored to the companys tablet and e-reader lines.

I don't like proprietary formats. Not one bit.
post #4 of 43
On the flip, when Apple bring out an electronic-ink device (which they inevitably will when screen technology progresses to their standards ), it will wipe the floor with amazon overnight.
post #5 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

iPad wanna be. You can try all you want to make an iPad clone. I would suspect that some day there will be a close success to the iPad. Its just a matter of time. Any way I love my iPad and have gotten so used to it that I have come to see it as a part of myself. I kinda tale it for granted. I have the iPad 1 and I like the feel of it better than the iPad2. The iPad 1 seems heavier and build more sturdy. I just regret it doesn't have the Camera.

The article is about an e-book format for Kindles with HTML5 support - not devices.

Apple may currently have a slight edge with the iPad from a technical standpoint, but is losing on the support front with the publication industry.
Content is king - not the device.
This news just may be a game changer and force Apple to review it's business model.
post #6 of 43
The upcoming epub 3 format will also include HTML 5. Link.
post #7 of 43
Apple will never win the eBook war as long as you can't read an iBook in direct sun. Epic fail. I still love my iPad regardless, but will buy Steve Jobs ala Kindle.
post #8 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

On the flip, when Apple bring out an electronic-ink device (which they inevitably will when screen technology progresses to their standards ), it will wipe the floor with amazon overnight.

Possibly. But I recall reading that Amazon is losing money on each of these devices. Whether that's true or not, I haven't verified. Much like (old) General Motors, Amazon seems hungry for market share, profits be damned. It is a fact that they have always been content to exist on thin margins. I like to think that Apple is more like Ferrari: only fight for share in the premium space. Leave the crumbs to those who think no higher than eating crumbs. One thing I really like about Cook, he may not be a true visionary like Jobs, but he's a wartime leader when it comes to supply chain strategy.
If two people always agree, then one of them is redundant.
Reply
If two people always agree, then one of them is redundant.
Reply
post #9 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Apple will never win the eBook war as long as you can't read an iBook in direct sun. Epic fail. I still lOce my iPad regardless but will buy Steve Jobs ala Kindle.

It's a trade-off, really. I love the fact that I can read at night while my wife sleeps without turning on a lamp or using an annoying book light.
post #10 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode View Post

The article is about an e-book format for Kindles with HTML5 support - not devices.

Apple may currently have a slight edge with the iPad from a technical standpoint, but is losing on the support front with the publication industry.
Content is king - not the device.
This news just may be a game changer and force Apple to review it's business model.

Correct it may be about the kindle. But.... I am insane and love my iPad. My quote was to prove that no matter how much any company tries to compete on any level with Apple the amount of effort will always be first loser, second place.
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #11 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

It's a trade-off, really. I love the fact that I can read at night while my wife sleeps without turning on a lamp or using an annoying book light.

True- but you still can't read in broad daylight outside.
post #12 of 43
Where are the chowderheads claiming Amazon should use Adobe Flash because just as power efficient — if not more so — than HTML5 in every single way?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #13 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Where are the chowderheads claiming Adobe should use Flash because just as power efficient if not more so than HTML5 in every single way?

I think you mean Amazon, not Adobe, in that post.
post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKol View Post

True- but you still can't read in broad daylight outside.

Nope. Because I'll be swimming.

Seriously, out of 100 people who read, how many read at night? How many read in broad daylight, outside, out of the shade? "Epic fail?" More like epic hyperbole.
post #15 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post


Seriously, out of 100 people who read...

I know if you spend time on the internet it may seem that way, but I think there are still more than a hundred people that can read. The number is dwindling fast though...
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
post #16 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Nope. Because I'll be swimming.

Seriously, out of 100 people who read, how many read at night? How many read in broad daylight, outside, out of the shade? "Epic fail?" More like epic hyperbole.

YOu must not live near a beach or pool where everyone is reading Kindles.
Not because they're better, but because you can.
post #17 of 43
i admit that direct sunlight makes IPad reading a bit hard, but I still use it. While my Kindle sits at home, but will be used again I am sure. The Kindle is a great reader, Amazon is just trying to play in the wrong pool with their tablet.
post #18 of 43
They should make a waterproof kindle for people who read in the pool or in the bath.
post #19 of 43
I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand it would be silly to design a whole new book file format from scratch. From that perspective basing it on an existing standard such as HTML5 makes sense.

But on the other hand, the web looks like shit compared to traditional books. I don't really want humanity taking a step backwards in book-beauty as part of the transition from paper to digital.
post #20 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand it would be silly to design a whole new book file format from scratch. From that perspective basing it on an existing standard such as HTML5 makes sense.

But on the other hand, the web looks like shit compared to traditional books. I don't really want humanity taking a step backwards in book-beauty as part of the transition from paper to digital.

Paper books will never go away. Never.
They will just become more of a commodity over time and more valuable as the digital trend continues.

What's more valuable - a baseball card or a digital picture of a baseball card? People will always prefer and add value to physical things.

The one app that nobody will be able to make is 'personability'.
People need physical contact and interactions. This 'social media' fad and all the devices that support it are a fad.

The iPad is nothing more then a glorified pair of MC Hammer pants... with the collective knowledge of the world woven into it's seams.

Tech gluttony will become a lifestyle for the poor and stupid.
post #21 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

Paper books will never go away. Never.
They will just become more of a commodity over time and more valuable as the digital trend continues.

What's more valuable - a baseball card or a digital picture of a baseball card? People will always prefer and add value to physical things.

The one app that nobody will be able to make is 'personability'.
People need physical contact and interactions. This 'social media' fad and all the devices that support it are a fad.

The iPad is nothing more then a glorified pair of MC Hammer pants... with the collective knowledge of the world woven into it's seams.

Tech gluttony will become a lifestyle for the poor and stupid.

I agree with the sentiment. Physical objects are superior to digital versions in many ways. But I don't agree with your prediction of a stratified world of digital for the ignorant masses and physical for the few.

I think that as nano-scale manufacturing develops (which will be sooner than anything thinks) the digital book you download from iBooks will actually be a blueprint for your 3d printer/prototyper which will create a physical object for you. Computers as we know them will retreat from some of the physical domains and become purely about information processing.

That is why HTML5 as a book file format is short-sighted. The file format needs to encode information about physical page size, paper texture and other physical attributes which Amazon will regret later if they don't include now.
post #22 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

Paper books will never go away. Never.
They will just become more of a commodity over time and more valuable as the digital trend continues.

What's more valuable - a baseball card or a digital picture of a baseball card? People will always prefer and add value to physical things.

The one app that nobody will be able to make is 'personability'.
People need physical contact and interactions. This 'social media' fad and all the devices that support it are a fad.

The iPad is nothing more then a glorified pair of MC Hammer pants... with the collective knowledge of the world woven into it's seams.

Tech gluttony will become a lifestyle for the poor and stupid.

Or to "re-caste" your argument: Books for Brahmins; all lower classes will read from iPads and Kindles.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #23 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Apple will never win the eBook war as long as you can't read an iBook in direct sun. Epic fail. ...

So, you're saying that the Kindle Fire because it doesn't have an e-ink screen will, ipso facto, be an epic fail, too? I guess Amazon didn't get the memo before they announced it. Funny how they didn't notice that Kindle with e-ink was wiping the Floor with iPad.

If you're going to troll here, please make at least a small attempt to appear rational. What some like to do is read their posts before hitting the submit button and ask themselves, "Does that actually make any sense at all or will I just look like an utter fool for posting it?"
post #24 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode View Post

The article is about an e-book format for Kindles with HTML5 support - not devices.

Apple may currently have a slight edge with the iPad from a technical standpoint, but is losing on the support front with the publication industry.
Content is king - not the device.
This news just may be a game changer and force Apple to review it's business model.

They aren't going to need to review their business model over this. At most, they may want to consider adding HTML5 e-book support, or something like it, to iBooks, which would be trivial for them to do. Of course, I'm sure they are likely investigating a number of options for richer formats in e-books, some of which might be better than HTML5.

The problem with both iBooks and Kindle is not formats, those are easy to improve. The problem is the DRM. I don't plan on buying IBooks or Kindle books, or any other DRM'd e-books, until they start using a common, open standard for DRM, one that won't lock me into a specific reader.

Consider this: Most of us here are still likely to be alive 30 years from now, and if not us, our children, who may still be around in 50-60 years or more. With a physical book, it doesn't matter if the publisher, printer, bookseller or anyone else went out of business since it was published. With an e-book, if the distributor/reader maker goes out of business and you can't get hardware to run the old reader on, all your e-books are worthless.

Now, both Amazon and Apple seem like healthy companies today, but 30-60 years is a long time. There's no guarantee that either of them will be in business that far down the road, and, if not, your e-books may be nothing but digital detritus. Call me crazy, but, when I buy a book, I'd like to be able to read it years later, if I want to, or have it available for someone else to read, and with proprietary DRM, there's no guarantee that will be the case.
post #25 of 43
deleted
post #26 of 43
deleted
post #27 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

So, you're saying that the Kindle Fire because it doesn't have an e-ink screen will, ipso facto, be an epic fail, too? I guess Amazon didn't get the memo before they announced it. Funny how they didn't notice that Kindle with e-ink was wiping the Floor with iPad.

If you're going to troll here, please make at least a small attempt to appear rational. What some like to do is read their posts before hitting the submit button and ask themselves, "Does that actually make any sense at all or will I just look like an utter fool for posting it?"

If you knew anything about Amazon you would realize they sell both kinds of devices and their eBooks work on both. Take your leg out your ear before you type. And stop calling people trolls.
BTW Amazon now has two major innovations within the past month- who knew?
post #28 of 43
deleted
post #29 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKol View Post

If you knew anything about Amazon you would realize they sell both kinds of devices and their eBooks work on both. Take your leg out your ear before you type. And stop calling people trolls.
BTW Amazon now has two major innovations within the past month- who knew?

Sorry, you're still not being rational.
post #30 of 43
"the late Steve Jobs"

That is a damned hard phrase to get used to. We live in a diminished world.
post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Apple will never win the eBook war as long as you can't read an iBook in direct sun. Epic fail. I still love my iPad regardless, but will buy Steve Jobs ala Kindle.

Not only that, but you can't even read iBooks on a Mac which makes exactly ZERO sense. I stay with the Kindle app because I can read on my iPhone, my Mac and I'll soon own a Kindle and they all whisper-sync. That's true cloud computing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Nope. Because I'll be swimming.

Seriously, out of 100 people who read, how many read at night? How many read in broad daylight, outside, out of the shade? "Epic fail?" More like epic hyperbole.

I do. My kids will swim for much longer than I care to swim when we are on vacation and so I'll go in and out of the shade and read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allblue View Post

I know if you spend time on the internet it may seem that way, but I think there are still more than a hundred people that can read. The number is dwindling fast though...

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKol View Post

True- but you still can't read in broad daylight outside.

and I still can't find the switch for the backlight on my Kindle.

Cheers
post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

So, you're saying that the Kindle Fire because it doesn't have an e-ink screen will, ipso facto, be an epic fail, too? I guess Amazon didn't get the memo before they announced it. Funny how they didn't notice that Kindle with e-ink was wiping the Floor with iPad.

If you're going to troll here, please make at least a small attempt to appear rational. What some like to do is read their posts before hitting the submit button and ask themselves, "Does that actually make any sense at all or will I just look like an utter fool for posting it?"

Maybe, just maybe, you should turn the mirror inwards and ask yourself the same question in this case.
post #34 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKol View Post

True- but you still can't read in broad daylight outside.

That's strange. I do it everyday. Just turn to limit the glare. It auto adjusts the backlighting to improve read ability. You can actually read it. Not as clear I guess but the Kindle is useless without light.
post #35 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by minicapt View Post

… and I still can't find the switch for the backlight on my Kindle.

Cheers


Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

That's strange. I do it everyday. Just turn to limit the glare. It auto adjusts the backlighting to improve read ability. You can actually read it. Not as clear I guess but the Kindle is useless without light.

I own both and sorry but the iPad simply does not work outside in a park beachside or poolside or what have you unless you hide under a cardboard box. As far as the kindle not being backlit- is an actual physical book backlit? The purpose of a Kindle is to replicate a book in electronic form which It does and is why it is so successful. Thomas Edison's light bulb is still very popular in case you haven't noticed.
post #36 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

So, you're saying that the Kindle Fire because it doesn't have an e-ink screen will, ipso facto, be an epic fail, too? I guess Amazon didn't get the memo before they announced it. Funny how they didn't notice that Kindle with e-ink was wiping the Floor with iPad.

If you're going to troll here, please make at least a small attempt to appear rational. What some like to do is read their posts before hitting the submit button and ask themselves, "Does that actually make any sense at all or will I just look like an utter fool for posting it?"

Do you know the number of ebooks sold by iBooks vs Kindle ebooks? We are talking eReaders here.
Also you don't need a Kindlefire to read this enhanced format- I suggest you read before commenting and labeling members here trolls.
post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Do you know the number of ebooks sold by iBooks vs Kindle ebooks? We are talking eReaders here.
Also you don't need a Kindlefire to read this enhanced format- I suggest you read before commenting and labeling members here trolls.

Thought you'd try to respond again? Nice try but this one is a non sequitur. Having some cognitive issues? I suggest you leave and don't come back before you embarrass yourself even more.
post #38 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKol View Post

I own both and sorry but the iPad simply does not work outside in a park beachside or poolside or what have you unless you hide under a cardboard box.

Think what you will. I'll continue to use my iPad outside whenever I want. Even at night.

Quote:
Thomas Edison's light bulb is still very popular in case you haven't noticed.

The incandescent lamp invented by Edison stopped being popular right around the turn of the LAST century. We use argon/nitrogen-filled bulbs now that is, when we're not using LED bulbs because incandescents are going to become illegal.

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply

“The only thing more insecure than Android is its userbase.” – Can’t Remember

Reply
post #39 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Thought you'd try to respond again? Nice try but this one is a non sequitur. Having some cognitive issues? I suggest you leave and don't come back before you embarrass yourself even more.

Well nothing could be more embarrassing than you dodging the issues, philistine answers and
labeling others trolls. Begone.
post #40 of 43
I think once Apple releases iWork '12 or whatever they will call it EPUB will become the standard due to shear numbers. There are more iOS devices than any other mobile platforms and with iWork supporting EPUB as a major player (look how many Apple members are listed as IDPF members under the 3.0 section for EPUB) for the creation of EPUB documents.

It is possible that iWork has been delayed in order to have the EPUB 3 format ratified so that they can build a better EPUB development platform rather than a tack on.

EPUB can do some pretty amazing things when you look at the EPUB stuff in the Developer Forums on the Apple site. The iTunes U stuff for EPUB from Apple shows some pretty cool functionality.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Amazon to add HTML5 support to Kindle content