or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone used to record parts of <em>'The Avengers'</em>

iPhone used to record parts of <em>'The Avengers'</em>

post #1 of 46
It was revealed on Thursday that the cinematographer filming 'The Avengers' used an iPhone to shoot footage for the upcoming high-budget film.

The Irish Film and Television Network reported that Oscar-nominated cinematographer Seamus McGarvey, in his first big-budget action film, used Apples smartphone instead of high-priced equipment for certain shots in the super-hero blockbuster.

On 'The Avengers,' I did a couple of shots on the iPhone and they are in the movie, McGarvey said. In fact they are in the trailer!

McGarvey did not specify which shots were taken by the handset, and failed to identify which model was used to record the scenes, though only two iPhones with video recording capabilities were available during principle shooting in April. Unless the cinematographer had early access to Apple's recently released iPhone 4S, the footage comes from either the iPhone 3GS, which has a 3-megapixel rear-facing camera or the 5-megapixel, 720p HD-capable iPhone 4.

Detailing his decision to use the iPhone, McGarvey explained that he didnt make a compromise when choosing the handset, saying that "every piece of kit should be tailored to what you're trying to achieve." He goes on to underscore that camera equipment does not define a film, but rather the decisions made with what is available.

I understand that sometimes there is no choice and you have to go for the cheapest option, but if you are limited for choice, you can still make poignant decisions that will effect the look of the film, he said.

McGarvey's previous films include relatively low-budget dramas like 'Atonement,' 'Charlotte's Web' and 'The World Trade Center.' He notes that working on 'The Avengers' was a vast change from his previous work, bringing more money and thus more sophisticated equipment to the project.

'The Avengers' will be released on May 4, 2012.

post #2 of 46
After a movie shoot entirely with an iPhone won best short at Berlin International Film Festival, unHollyWood woke up.

Now cell phones are contributing for art?
: Times are changing.
: Indeed!
post #3 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

On 'The Avengers,' I did a couple of shots on the iPhone and they are in the movie, McGarvey said. In fact they are in the trailer!

McGarvey did not specify which shots were taken by the handset,

They've got to be the shots of the Hulk. They are the only low-res shots in the trailer.
post #4 of 46
I would imagine an iPhone 4S would make a good movie shooting phone, although my iPhone 4 had HRD capabilities. I am quite impressed with the quality of a mere 4MP phone camera with a small aperture. I can only imagine the 4S and its larger aperture and what its capable of. I have got to get one of these 4S phones. I also have to mention the highly anticipated iPhone 5. It will have larger screen and redesigned home button. Along with a better camera possibly 10 MP. And how do I know this. I am speculating. If you think about it. Apple always out does its previous designs. So it would only make sense. Thinner, larger screen, better Megapixels, higher bandwidth, more powerful A6 processor dual core not quad and higher resolution screen.
An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #5 of 46
Probably used as the crash cam for the explosions close up.
post #6 of 46
If I had to guess which clip it was, I'd say it was the cut at 47 seconds... it plays for about a second.
post #7 of 46
I'd guess about 1:15 to 1:20 into the trailer.
post #8 of 46
Apple and Marvel -a dream team.
D.C. - made for Droid.
post #9 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Apple and Marvel -a dream team.
D.C. - made for Droid.

Seems fair, but can we petition for Batman to defect to the Marvel universe so he doesn't have to be surrounded by complete and utter garbage? He is the only thing keeping DC relevant anymore.
post #10 of 46
Expect more of this.

Chatted with a guy that used his iPhone for B Roll for doing arial shots. Now with 1080 I expect to see more use of iPhones
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #11 of 46
I'm sure it is the first shot of Thor outside with the sun behind him
post #12 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Seems fair, but can we petition for Batman to defect to the Marvel universe so he doesn't have to be surrounded by complete and utter garbage? He is the only thing keeping DC relevant anymore.

Definitely. I watched some of Green Lantern- how painful was that?
post #13 of 46
LOL. Watch out, RED. Here comes iPhone!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #14 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasland View Post

I'm sure it is the first shot of Thor outside with the sun behind him

That was my guess too
post #15 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrENGLISH View Post

That was my guess too

agree with backlit Thor shot...he said a couple..so i was looking at :37 when the comic book image supered...there's another Thor shot at :50, but it looks like lots of CG work going on and not sure about it..
post #16 of 46
I was thinking it was at :17 - :18 in with those shaky shots.
post #17 of 46
Actually 'The Avengers' is a British TV series and movie.

As in the trailer itself its called 'Avengers'.
post #18 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

They've got to be the shots of the Hulk. They are the only low-res shots in the trailer.

I got it! The Hulk was actually standing in front of a camera. Great!
post #19 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Expect more of this.

Chatted with a guy that used his iPhone for B Roll for doing arial shots. Now with 1080 I expect to see more use of iPhones

Yes, but the iPhone doesn't support 24p recording. How do they convert 30p to 24p?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #20 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yes, but the iPhone doesn't support 24p recording. How do they convert 30p to 24p?

There is some method for that but I don't remember exactly how it's done. I suppose they drop every fifth frame.
post #21 of 46
I'm not sure that's a compliment to the iPhone so much as it is showing lack of care/professionalism in making the movie. But if it was done for artistic effect I suppose that would be ok.
post #22 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

There is some method for that but I don't remember exactly how it's done. I suppose they drop every fifth frame.

in some situations, simply playing 30p back at 24p allows a more languid, fluid shot. Certainly generic shots can be slowed down ~20% without the viewer noticing.

I have a friend who shots for video stock libraries, most of his work is shot at 30p, then slowed to 24p.

I am sure we have all seen the slightly slowed down action shots. Can look very nice.
post #23 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I'm not sure that's a compliment to the iPhone so much as it is showing lack of care/professionalism in making the movie.

Yep or a publicity thing. 250 million iOS users is a big audience to try and appeal to. I'd have said the shot they made on the iPhone was at 1:05, the other shots seem a lot sharper as they were probably shot on 4K film cameras. Also, phone cameras have rolling shutter and focusing issues so they'd only be able to use it for fixed camera shots.

But I'm not sure how they can shoot a scene at 720p and be able to show it in a theatre. There's a chance they filmed some of the actors for CGI with the camera vertical but the compression artifacts would make keying unnecessarily more problematic.

If there was no other option, it's fair enough but I highly doubt there was no other option on a big production like this.
post #24 of 46
not even the word "iPhone" was mentioned in the interview...

http://www.iftn.ie/news/?act1=record...chnews&force=1
post #25 of 46
20 second mark.

The low to the floor shot of walking feet.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #26 of 46
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazimoyo View Post

I got it! The Hulk was actually standing in front of a camera. Great!

: Priceless!
post #27 of 46
Quote:

I'm not sure that's a compliment to the iPhone so much as it is showing lack of care/professionalism in making the movie. But if it was done for artistic effect I suppose that would be ok.

Not many cinematography will look like Baraka.
post #28 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

After a movie shoot entirely with an iPhone won best short at Berlin International Film Festival, unHollyWood woke up.

Now cell phones are contributing for art?
: Times are changing.
: Indeed!

Cellphones are not just "contributing for (sic) art", but are changing it. Apps like Instagram are not pure photography apps. They are allowing the user to modify it. The result is a highly distorted version of what is recorded.
post #29 of 46
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If there was no other option, it's fair enough but I highly doubt there was no other option on a big production like this.

You have to wonder, what can an iPhone shoot that a Red One could not, and better?
post #30 of 46
guess i am not gonna see that movie... there are cameras that they have that have a better picture quality, but he does not use them?!?!

really confused....

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

post #31 of 46
The Motorla RAZR (not the droid, mind you)has a MUCH better quality.....
post #32 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

You have to wonder, what can an iPhone shoot that a Red One could not, and better?

iPhone affixed to a remote controlled model helicopter could possibly get some shots that larger traditional cameras may not be able to do as well. Also not as much of a financial loss if it crashes.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #33 of 46
I'm waiting for that Internet marketing company to post their usual false flag like, "I'm a Hollywood cinematographer with over 10 years of using iPhones to make movies and after the disappointing launch of the iPhone 4S (I heard nobody wants to buy it), I decided to try the Samsung™ Galaxy™ S℠ II®. Boy was I glad I did. Mr. Spielberg saw the results and said I could keep my job and that he wouldn't blacklist me from Hollywood. I'm sure you all think I'm making this up, but I've put up my website at facebook.com/samsungmobile. Oh wait, did I say samsungmobile? I mean facebook.com/not-affiliated-with-samsungmobile. Oh and don't ask me to post my name or filmography because, you know, I'm just some anonymous handle who signed up two days ago to post this and you'll never see me again."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #34 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

iPhone affixed to a remote controlled model helicopter could possibly get some shots that larger traditional cameras may not be able to do as well. Also not as much of a financial loss if it crashes.

You can drop an iphone 13,500 ft from a plane, crack the screen, but still be able to sync it up and download your footage. Try dropping a RED ONE out of a plane.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #35 of 46
I would find it a little strange to have a movie that will likely be digital 4K and shoot parts in 720p. I can see leaving the iPhone shots in a throwaway trailer, but I would be surprised if they were left in the final film.
post #36 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...] McGarvey's previous films include relatively low-budget dramas like 'Atonement,' 'Charlotte's Web' and 'The World Trade Center.' [...]

"World Trade Center" had a budget of $63 million. Most big-time Hollywood movies have budgets in the range of $40 million - $100 million nowadays.

Here's the IMdB entry for World Trade Center: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0469641/

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #37 of 46
The 1-second shot of Captain America standing behind Iron Man at 1:05 looks like it has less sharpness and dynamic range than most of the other shots. Could have been an iPhone shot.

Also, it's an unusually low angle, looking up at Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Evans. That might have required a lengthy setup if the crew had needed to move the main camera nearly to the floor. So, instead, the director might have decided to save time (and time equals money in film production) by shooting it on an iPhone on an improvised rig. It'll be interesting to see where and why the iPhone was used.

post #38 of 46
he now says he simply used an iphone to produce video that looked like it came from a cell phone

"McGarvey has clarified with the International Business Times that he took "one shot in 'The Avengers' movie on an iPhone 4." McGarvey explains that the shot "was meant to be a cell phone user's image," and "it is untrue that an iPhone was used to photograph any [full-length] scenes." He says the film was shot using an Arri Alexa digital camera."

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/2354...s-mcgarvey.htm
post #39 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by umumum View Post

he now says he simply used an iphone to produce video that looked like it came from a cell phone

"McGarvey has clarified with the International Business Times that he took "one shot in 'The Avengers' movie on an iPhone 4." McGarvey explains that the shot "was meant to be a cell phone user's image," and "it is untrue that an iPhone was used to photograph any [full-length] scenes." He says the film was shot using an Arri Alexa digital camera."

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/2354...s-mcgarvey.htm

Thanks, so many people in their fanboi tunnel vision are ready to equate iPhone4 for a 4K camera.
post #40 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You can drop an iphone 13,500 ft from a plane, crack the screen, but still be able to sync it up and download your footage. Try dropping a RED ONE out of a plane.

With a big enough budget you can drop almost anything out of plane. Regardless, military parachute riggers have been dropping equipment out of the sky for years weighing tons.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone used to record parts of <em>'The Avengers'</em>