or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Problem with FaceTime

Problem with FaceTime

post #1 of 6
I have a MacBook from 2007 running on Lion. I have been attempting to do FaceTime with a cousin of mine in Italy who has a brand new iPad. When we try to call each other it rings...then says it is connecting ... then nothing happens. What might be the problem and what can we do about it. I have also been doing FaceTime with two other cousins in Italy, One has a new iPad the other a newer MacBook. I have no problems with these two people.

I would appreciate anyones help with this issue. Many thanks, Maria
post #2 of 6
The other user may be behind a firewall in which case they'd have to configure their network to allow communication over the required ports:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4245
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The other user may be behind a firewall in which case they'd have to configure their network to allow communication over the required ports:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4245

Thank you, Marvin. I will pass on your suggestion. Maria
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria255 View Post

Thank you, Marvin. I will pass on your suggestion. Maria

Marvin, I have checked with the other user.... there is no firewall. Do you have any other ideas as to what might be causing the problem? Thanks, Maria
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria255 View Post

Marvin, I have checked with the other user.... there is no firewall. Do you have any other ideas as to what might be causing the problem? Thanks, Maria

The router they use to connect to the internet may have a setup preventing them connecting over certain ports. The web interface for their router should have settings to allow forwarding ports to an internal IP address.

Also, make sure that they haven't at some point turned on the firewall in system prefs > security > firewall.

You can also check the console in /Applications/Utilities/Console to see if any error messages are being logged when attempting to connect.
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The router they use to connect to the internet may have a setup preventing them connecting over certain ports. The web interface for their router should have settings to allow forwarding ports to an internal IP address.

Also, make sure that they haven't at some point turned on the firewall in system prefs > security > firewall.

You can also check the console in /Applications/Utilities/Console to see if any error messages are being logged when attempting to connect.

Marvin,

Thanks again. Will pass on this info. I have already told them it might be an issue with their router... but I haven't gotten any response about it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Problem with FaceTime