or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple makes 'Celebrating Steve' event video publicly available
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple makes 'Celebrating Steve' event video publicly available

post #1 of 53
Thread Starter 
A special event filmed live at Apple's corporate campus in Cupertino, Calif., was published by the company on its website on Sunday, allowing the world to see how Apple said goodbye to its late co-founder, Steve Jobs.

Entitled "Celebrating Steve," an 80-minute video available on Apple's website shows the event held on the company's campus last week, on Oct. 19. Thousands of people watched the event in person and around the world, as Apple shuttered its retail stores to allow employees to watch a live feed.

The "Celebrating Steve" event featured performances by Coldplay and Norah Jones. The company's campus was decorated with large banners displaying pictures of Jobs from over the years.

The event kicked off with an introduction from current Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook. The event celebrated the life of Jobs and the many accomplishments he made before he passed away earlier this month at the age of 56.

Though the event was initially private and limited to Apple employees, as of Sunday, all are now able to share in the company's celebration. The full video is available to stream on Apple's site. It requires Safari 4 or 5 on Mac OS X Snow Leopard or Lion, Safari on iOS 3 or later, or QuickTime 7 on Windows.
post #2 of 53
Thanks for posting the link!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #3 of 53
I've heard Steve's rendition of "Here's to the crazy ones" before, but I lost it hearing it again (for the first time since his passing) in the video.

Here's to the Crazy One.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #4 of 53
If you don't want to watch this on your computer screen, it works great in Airplay to the Apple TV from the iPhone or iPad.
post #5 of 53
This is what I get:

Quote:
Available soon.
Please check back later.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #6 of 53
I hope they make this available for download in iTunes.
post #7 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

I hope they make this available for download in iTunes.

Yes, me too.
post #8 of 53
The talks were all excellent, but if you can't watch it all, watch Jony Ive, starting at 47:30.
post #9 of 53
I thought Tim Cook was channeling Jobs. His choice of words and his demeanor were so like Steve's, it was eerie.
post #10 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

The talks were all excellent, but if you can't watch it all, watch Jony Ive, starting at 47:30.

Especially at 54:30 where Steve Jobs eyes in the iconic "lotus position with the Macintosh" photo fade out into the opening eyes of Jony Ive .... the "soul" of Apple awakens in Jony.. Very well done,
post #11 of 53
Like John B. I also get only the message:

"Available soon.
Please check back later."

I assume this is because I'm still using Leopard 10.5.8, instead of the clearly stated minimum system requirements:

"Streaming video requires Safari 4 or 5 on Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) or Lion (10.7), Safari on iOS 3 or later, or QuickTime 7 on Windows."

So, it seems to me that, for those of us getting the "later" message, our only options are to: upgrade; find system-compliant access somewhere; or, to wait & hope that Apple eventually uploads a version onto iTunes or its YouTube channel (where the OS requirements are lower).....
post #12 of 53
It was nice, as far as public memorials go.

Jony Ives. His words were as crafted as any of his designs. Of all of them, apart from Laurene, I think Jony is the one who has lost a soulmate.

I hope he continues to find joy in his work and stays on top of his game for many years to come.
post #13 of 53
Very classy, tastefull. All the speakers were great.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #14 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artista View Post

Like John B. I also get only the message:

"Available soon.
Please check back later."

I assume this is because I'm still using Leopard 10.5.8, instead of the clearly stated minimum system requirements:

"Streaming video requires Safari 4 or 5 on Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) or Lion (10.7), Safari on iOS 3 or later, or QuickTime 7 on Windows."

So, it seems to me that, for those of us getting the "later" message, our only options are to: upgrade; find system-compliant access somewhere; or, to wait & hope that Apple eventually uploads a version onto iTunes or its YouTube channel (where the OS requirements are lower).....

Nope, I'm on Lion and getting the same message. I think the servers are just overloaded.
post #15 of 53
What did he say that Steve always laughed at him for, I did not understand the word he said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mael View Post

It was nice, as far as public memorials go.

Jony Ives. His words were as crafted as any of his designs. Of all of them, apart from Laurene, I think Jony is the one who has lost a soulmate.

I hope he continues to find joy in his work and stays on top of his game for many years to come.
post #16 of 53
Thank you Apple for making this available...
post #17 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

I thought Tim Cook was channeling Jobs. His choice of words and his demeanor were so like Steve's, it was eerie.

Would you say it was different than Tim Cook during the iPhone 4S presentation when Jobs was only hours from passing?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #18 of 53
For me, there's noone I can can Steve more strongly in than Jonathan Ive. He definitely embodies his spirit and passion, and his speech during that ceremony was the most powerful, touching, and passionate. I'm utterly optimistic about Apple as long as he's in there playing a critical role.
post #19 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrek4224 View Post

What did he say that Steve always laughed at him for, I did not understand the word he said.

Aluminum.
post #20 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrek4224 View Post

What did he say that Steve always laughed at him for, I did not understand the word he said.

Aluminum. Ive has always pronounced it as AH-LOO-MIN-E-UM... Watch him in one of the videos about designing the MacBooks and you'll understand then.
post #21 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Aluminum.

Thank you!!
post #22 of 53
Apple is using his death as a marketing tool. You can't view the video unless you are using an apple product.

Nice one Cook et al. Very classy.

No matter what type of media...movies, music, books, photos and web pages

look better and sound better on the Kindle Fire HD and HDX than any iPad

Reply

No matter what type of media...movies, music, books, photos and web pages

look better and sound better on the Kindle Fire HD and HDX than any iPad

Reply
post #23 of 53
I am so grateful to have been able to watch this. My whole life flashed before my eyes.
post #24 of 53
You are a f*cking tool. What would you be typing that stupid comment on without Steve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post

Apple is using his death as a marketing tool. You can't view the video unless you are using an apple product.

Nice one Cook et al. Very classy.
post #25 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post

Apple is using his death as a marketing tool. You can't view the video unless you are using an apple product.

Nice one Cook et al. Very classy.

Frankly speaking, if somebody is not viewing the video on an Apple device, then they can't claim to be much of a fan, so screw them.

If it were up to me, then only people running Mac OS X or IOS would be able to read my posts.
post #26 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post

Apple is using his death as a marketing tool. You can't view the video unless you are using an apple product.

Nice one Cook et al. Very classy.

You posted the exact same thing on another forum, didn't you? Anyway, you're a liar. I viewed the video just fine on my windows machine.

And who the hell would they be marketing to, exactly? Is someone going to suddenly start buying Apple products because of a memorial event? Oh wait, according to you nobody can see the video except Apple users.. in which case they're marketing to the choir? Idiot.
post #27 of 53
I've still not completely grasped his passing. I was hoping that apple would allow us the opportunity to view this... And I'm glad they did. Tim Cook... I have never felt more confident the path you will lead Apple down will be just as Steve envisioned. Jony... Thank you for being one of the best parts of Apple.

My love, thoughts, and prayers go out to the entire Apple family. Thank you for making my life just that much more enjoyable.

Love yah Steve.

-Joe
post #28 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

You posted the exact same thing on another forum, didn't you? Anyway, you're a liar. I viewed the video just fine on my windows machine.

And who the hell would they be marketing to, exactly? Is someone going to suddenly start buying Apple products because of a memorial event? Oh wait, according to you nobody can see the video except Apple users.. in which case they're marketing to the choir? Idiot.


Quicktime is an apple product. No who's the idiot?

No matter what type of media...movies, music, books, photos and web pages

look better and sound better on the Kindle Fire HD and HDX than any iPad

Reply

No matter what type of media...movies, music, books, photos and web pages

look better and sound better on the Kindle Fire HD and HDX than any iPad

Reply
post #29 of 53
On the basis of this and other comments made by you, I don't think I'd consider you any sort of arbiter of what constitutes class.
Aside from that bag of hurt, Mrs Lincoln, what did you think of the play?
Reply
Aside from that bag of hurt, Mrs Lincoln, what did you think of the play?
Reply
post #30 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott6666 View Post

Nope, I'm on Lion and getting the same message. I think the servers are just overloaded.

scott6666, OH!, in that case, I'm encouraged that we'll both be able to watch it when traffic lessens. Thanks for your feedback!
post #31 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseley View Post

On the basis of this and other comments made by you, I don't think I'd consider you any sort of arbiter of what constitutes class.


Apple could have made the video compatible with virtually all web browsers on the market, but they didn't.
It's not even available to mac users on an OS more than 2yrs old!

You would think apple would appreciate users that have been with them for a while, but they don't.
They only care about getting people to ditch their old stuff and buy their latest gadgets.

There was no need to "protect" the file. It's inevitable that some geek would save it to their hard drive then upload it for the world to copy.
It was one of your own mac faithfuls that did it within hours of it's release.


Don't be mad at me because you are not able to see past the reality distortion field.

No matter what type of media...movies, music, books, photos and web pages

look better and sound better on the Kindle Fire HD and HDX than any iPad

Reply

No matter what type of media...movies, music, books, photos and web pages

look better and sound better on the Kindle Fire HD and HDX than any iPad

Reply
post #32 of 53
Tried it with Firefox, didn't work. Tried it with Safari straight after that, worked. Gotta follow the rules.
post #33 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post

Apple could have made the video compatible with virtually all web browsers on the market, but they didn't.
It's not even available to mac users on an OS more than 2yrs old!

You would think apple would appreciate users that have been with them for a while, but they don't.
They only care about getting people to ditch their old stuff and buy their latest gadgets.

There was no need to "protect" the file. It's inevitable that some geek would save it to their hard drive then upload it for the world to copy.
It was one of your own mac faithfuls that did it within hours of it's release.


Don't be mad at me because you are not able to see past the reality distortion field.

Why even waste your time posting? Troll much tool?
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
post #34 of 53
The event was very well done - I can understand why people said afterwards that it bought them some closure. A lot of nice touches.

By the way, did anyone notice the similarity between the guy at 44:26 and the guy in that photo of Steve a few days after he resigned?
post #35 of 53
Gulp, wow, that is a classy touching tribute.
post #36 of 53
Watched it without missing a beat on my ancient, vintage iPad 1, one of the first out the door 18 months ago. The shape of this thing still amazes me.

Thanks, Steve, (and Jony, and all those other people) for making a computer into a lovable object, and for making a company that can create such things for the world. (And Tim Cook did an amazing job in the performance of his career, no doubt.)
post #37 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post

Apple could have made the video compatible with virtually all web browsers on the market, but they didn't.

No other browser supports HTTP live streaming

Quote:
It's not even available to mac users on an OS more than 2yrs old!

Because those don't, either.

Quote:
There was no need to "protect" the file.

Thanks for thinking you know this.

Quote:
Don't be mad at me because you are not able to see past the reality distortion field.

Don't be mad at me because you are not able to see past your own selfish desires.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #38 of 53
Views just fine on my iPhone 3GS.
post #39 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Would you say it was different than Tim Cook during the iPhone 4S presentation when Jobs was only hours from passing?

I don't know, I'll have to go back to that. I only know I never noticed this in hearing Cook speak before. Possibly it is partly because he really is The Man now, and he's not holding anything back in respect for Jobs anymore. His words are the words of Apple now. The choices of words, the delivery, sounded like Jobs' choices. The restraint (at least in public) was Jobsian. A lot of CEOs on that stage would have overpromised re the future, Cook did not. He resisted the easy sentiment and facile, expected promises.

If Apple is led well from here, its potential is overwhelming. It's the biggest or next-biuggest company on Earth, but if it executes it could be that several times over. And Cook is an immensely talented and driven exec, just as Jobs was.
post #40 of 53
.... the ones who perhaps don't have the resources to run the latest, greatest Macs. They too deserve the right to view the tribute so Apple, please put this up at the iTunes store (or alternate) so all those who believe in Steve's vision can see the celebration.

Disclaimer: I support Apple by buying all the latest & greatest that I can use. I have been Apple since 1979 and yes, I own stock.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple makes 'Celebrating Steve' event video publicly available