or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Siri co-founder leaves Apple following iPhone 4S launch

Siri co-founder leaves Apple following iPhone 4S launch

post #1 of 43
The co-founder and CEO of Siri, responsible for developing the voice recognition technology in the iPhone 4S, has departed Apple on "amicable" terms.

Dag Kittlaus left his position at Apple after the launch of the iPhone 4S, according to Kara Swisher of All Things D. He served as CEO of Siri since 2007, and after the company was acquired by Apple in April of 2010, he led its speech recognition development.

"There were several reasons for the departure, which was amicable and has been planned for a while, sources said," Swisher wrote. "They included Kittlaus' family being in Chicago, a desire to take time off and an interest in brainstorming new entrepreneurial ideas."

His LinkedIn profile still lists his current title as director of Siri and speech recognition for iOS at Apple in the San Francisco Bay area. The other titles he currently holds are a member of the Cabrini Green Tutoring Program Board of Directors, and a founding advisor at Palindrome Advisors. He was previously an entrepreneur-in-residence at Stanford Research Institute, and a general manager at Motorola.

Siri technology is one of the main selling points of the iPhone 4S, Apple's latest smartphone model that launched earlier this month. Using natural language, users can have their phone do complex tasks like send a text message or e-mail, make or modify a calendar appointment, set reminders or alarms, or even look up information like the date of the next full moon.

Swisher said that Kittlaus departed Apple just after the launch of the iPhone 4S. Sources told her that other key executives from Siri are expected to remain with the iPhone maker.

After the iPhone 4S and its Siri voice control were unveiled on Oct. 4, Kittlaus was finally capable of speaking publicly about his work on Siri at Apple. He immediately took to Twitter that same day.

"If you are a start-up you want to get acquired by Apple," he wrote. "Fun times."

Though the Siri brand remains with the voice recognition technology found in the iPhone 4S, it is believed that Apple's implementation also uses intellectual property licensed from Nuance Communications, makers of Dragon NaturallySpeaking. Neither Apple nor Nuance have confirmed that Nuance's technology plays a part in Siri on the iPhone 4S.
post #2 of 43
Wish him all the best, especially if he has family in Chicago .

I think apple will not have any problems scaling the service or adding new features without the cofounder. It's good that he stayed this long and brought his companies acquisition to a logical end, now he can go on and focus on other ideas he's got.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #3 of 43
Get bought out, stay for the initial release, then leave...

That makes sense and is predictable. I hope he does something else interesting.
post #4 of 43
Probably embarrased and ashamed...

good luck to him.
post #5 of 43
Someone ask Siri why Dag is leaving. Siri knows.
post #6 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

good luck to him.

First, you'll need to read the article.
bb
bb
post #7 of 43
Quote:

good luck to him.

why in the world would he be embarrassed and ashamed, you should be embarrassed you misspelled embarrassed.
post #8 of 43
I would assume part of the terms of the buyout was that he would stay working for Apple for a certain period of time to help integrate that technology. Now he's done that, you can't blame the guy for wanting to spend some time with his money.
post #9 of 43
Quote:

good luck to him.

What does he have to be "embarrased and ashamed" about?
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face? - Jack D. Ripper
post #10 of 43
I would love for Siri's voice to be more natural like apple's Alex. Wonder why Apple didn't make it sound more natural.
Apple had me at scrolling
Apple had me at scrolling
post #11 of 43
Quote:

good luck to him.

Yes, building a company that Apple buys for 9 figures is certainly something to be ashamed of, NOT!

However, posting what you did with no knowledge what so ever is!
post #12 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

What does he have to be "embarrased and ashamed" about?

C'mon... the guy is a troll... always has been. You'll never get an answer.

Let him tell you about how Apple was all he ever bought until he saw the light...
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #13 of 43
Quote:

good luck to him.

Why don't you elaborate why you think he would be embarrassed and ashamed? Your implication is that Siri is something he should be embarrassed about... so why don't you spend some time arguing that point and explaining what about the product is so embarrassing.
post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

C'mon... the guy is a troll... always has been. You'll never get an answer.

Let him tell you about how Apple was all he ever bought until he saw the light...

You're right of course. I took a quick peek at his other posts and should've known better.
post #15 of 43
He got paid big time... now time to relax and think about the gold plated future.
I would/will do the same!
post #16 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

Why don't you elaborate why you think he would be embarrassed and ashamed? Your implication is that Siri is something he should be embarrassed about... so why don't you spend some time arguing that point and explaining what about the product is so embarrassing.

Maybe he's embarrassed and ashamed because he's doing charity work too? Or because he hasn't run his ideas past Archipellago to get the approval of a true industry visionary?
post #17 of 43
Amazing how a troll can hook so many and steer the dialog so easily.

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Someone ask Siri why Dag is leaving. Siri knows.

Great post
post #19 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

I would love for Siri's voice to be more natural like apple's Alex. Wonder why Apple didn't make it sound more natural.

Interesting read at CNN. Last paragraph addresses your question.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/10/21/te...ces/index.html

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #20 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Oh, that's nonsense. Guy's completely deluded.

This is the voice that WINDOWS 3rd gen iPod shuffle users hear.

Mac users hear Alex. There's absolutely no excuse for not having Alex be Siri's voice.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #21 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

He got paid big time... now time to relax and think about the gold plated future.
I would/will do the same!

If he is involved with Cabrini Green, then he is motivated by more than money... much more.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #22 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

If he is involved with Cabrini Green, then he is motivated by more than money... much more.

I vividly remember making a wrong turn one night and ending up on a street near it and just wanting to get out of there ASAP. Misty night, junker cars with steamed up windows, and nothing looking all too friendly around, and certainly a wonderful rep to go with it.

He may have all the money he can use now but that's definitely not a for-profit item there, more because he wants to make a difference.
post #23 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, that's nonsense. Guy's completely deluded.

Are you referring to Rebecca or Brandon?

post #24 of 43
Quote:

Are you referring to Rebecca or Brandon?

Whoever said the last paragraph.

post #25 of 43
Quote:

Whoever said the last paragraph.

It does make more sense if you read the article from the beginning especially since it also touches on the history of digital/artificial voice and gender.

post #26 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by techno View Post

Equally amazing is how a known troll can stay so long without being banned. Why?
post #27 of 43
Quote:

Also interesting to note from that same article:

"An Apple spokeswoman declined to comment on why the company gave Siri a female voice in the U.S. Nor would she say why Siri speaks like a man in the UK, where iPhone 4S owners have swarmed online forums to request a female voice instead. "
post #28 of 43
Can Siri have a unisex voice?
post #29 of 43
Siri told him to leave.
post #30 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Equally amazing is how a known troll can stay so long without being banned. Why?

A dozen newer trolls with far more posts than him (each) have been allowed to stay. It's not surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Can Siri have a unisex voice?

Can? Very likely. Will Apple ever give us said choice? Nope.

post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"If you are a start-up you want to get acquired by Apple," he wrote. "Fun times."

Seems like a big compliment to Apple. Aren't a lot of start-ups worried about how their tech might get mangled or left to collect dust after they've been acquired?

I wonder if endorsements like this will help Apple more easily acquire other start-ups in the future.
post #32 of 43
Yes, they probably made him an offer he can't refuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Wish him all the best, especially if he has family in Chicago .
post #33 of 43
Quote:

A dozen newer trolls with far more posts than him (each) have been allowed to stay. It's not surprising.

Can? Very likely. Will Apple ever give us said choice? Nope.

You can change Siri from this Apple Support doc....you can change the gender of the voice but you have to change languages to get a male voice..

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #34 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

You can change Siri from this Apple Support doc....you can change the gender of the voice but you have to change languages to get a male voice..

Ah, I can't do a convincing British accent, anyway. Irish, sure, but not British.

post #35 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by techno View Post

That wouldn't be so bad, except you then have people who quote the entire lame ass message so that even if you have said troll on your ignore list you get to be exposed to his idiocy anyway.

Ugh...
post #36 of 43
Since you're Apple Insider you should know that Siri is the AI module and not the voice recognition technology. Which is supposedly from Nuance - but unconfirmed.
post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

C'mon... the guy is a troll... always has been.

And yet knowing this all of you still reply to him, giving him what he wants.

learn to ignore, life is so much better when you do

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #38 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Freedom of Speech.

Beauty is that his freedom to speak can be overrun by our freedom to ignore him. Or even better ignore list him. Cause freedom of speech doesn't mean we have an obligation to listen.

and if folks would stop quoting him I wouldn't have to see someone I've had on my list for ages

post #39 of 43
Quote:

What would AI be without the trolls? It's like rock and roll without feedback!

By the way, whatever happened to Cloudgazer? He was not a troll, but he had something like 4k posts in 3-4 months and then suddenly disappeared.
post #40 of 43
...are the folks that expect someone like Dag to remain in a corporate culture while their personalities are entrepreneurial. Of course once Apple had embedded the new technology into the processes and development of the hardware and software, Dag would want to move on. As the article stated, he was now free to move on and develop something else new and fun, not to mention spend time with his family. Exactly the way things should work!

Entrepreneurs love the adventure of discovering, inventing and innovating. Not so much the corporate environment, even one as innovative as Apple. Go forth Dag and do something else cool again!
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
If you are going to insist on being an ass, at least demonstrate the intelligence to be a smart one
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Siri co-founder leaves Apple following iPhone 4S launch